Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: Christianity

Post by Dontaskme »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:18 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:44 pm Am I supposed to know what that means or something?
It would help a great deal if you did.

What does the “or something” refer to?
The or something means I can't know what the other something meant, so it's like, am I just supposed to know something I don't? like something else that I am expected to know by you?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:15 pm Do you think your meddling will trigger some form of scrape or conflict, or will your intellectual intervention be like waving a magic wand and making all the larger cultural issues magically just vanish into thin air, like a stain removed by an all powerful stain remover?
Scrapes snd conflicts are “par for the course” here.

My purpose is to clarify my own thinking, therefore what it does or doesn’t do for others is irrelevant to me.

The larger issues certainly will not vanish.

Things seem to be increasing in pressure and intensity.
Last edited by Alexis Jacobi on Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Michael Gleghorn at the Bible.org site
But let’s begin with that first question: Just what is philosophy anyway? Defining this term can be difficult. It gets tossed around by different people in a variety of ways. But we can get a rough idea of its meaning by observing that it comes from two Greek words: philein, which means “to love,” and sophia, which means “wisdom.” So at one level, philosophy is just the love of wisdom. There’s nothing wrong with that!
Start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... philosophy

Then after exploring each of them, come back here and let us know which school, in your opinion, reflects the wisdom most deserving of our love.

Of course, what's wrong with that is this: your school or mine? our school or theirs?

After all, in regard to religious faiths alone, whatever school of philosophy is deemed the wisest must still be subsumed in one of these...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... traditions

...denominations. This thread in particular focusing on Christianity.
But let’s go further. Socrates claimed that the unexamined life was not worth living. And throughout its history, philosophy has gained a reputation for the careful, rational, and critical examination of life’s biggest questions.
Again, start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... philosophy

Which assessment encompasses the optimal "examined life"? And what of those like me who, in examining life philosophically, have come to conclude that human existence is essentially meaningless and purposeless. And that, in the end, you topple over into the abyss that is oblivion.

Then this part: “If truth is what you seek, then the examined life will only take you on a long ride to the limits of solitude and leave you by the side of the road with your truth and nothing else.” Thomas Ligotti
“Accordingly,” write Christian philosophers J.P. Moreland and William Lane Craig, “philosophy may be defined as the attempt to think rationally and critically about life’s most important questions in order to obtain knowledge and wisdom about them.” So while philosophy may sometimes be a walk on slippery rocks, it may also be a potentially powerful resource for thinking through some of life’s most important issues.
Again, how is this not yet another classic example of a "general description spiritual contraption" that can mean a million different things to a million different people?

We'll need a context in other words.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:25 pm The or something means I can't know what the other something meant, so it's like, am I just supposed to know something I don't? like something else that I am expected to know by you?
How can you know what anything means?

If you didn’t know something what would or could you do to come to know it?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Iambiguous is going strong, as usual ….
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:26 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:15 pm Do you think your meddling will trigger some form of scrape or conflict, or will your intellectual intervention be like waving a magic wand and making all the larger cultural issues magically just vanish into thin air, like a stain removed by an all powerful stain remover?
Scrapes snd conflicts are “par for the corse” here.

My purpose is to clarify my own thinking, therefore what it does or doesn’t do for others is irrelevant to me.

Well, I'm sorry to hear of your internal conflicts and scrapes with your own thinking.

You might even be pleased to hear, that I personally do not suffer from such scrapes and conflicts with my own thinking mind, I'm never been a slave to my mind, my mind is totally free of such slavery, my mind is a super dooper qualified black belt zen master.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:29 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:25 pm The or something means I can't know what the other something meant, so it's like, am I just supposed to know something I don't? like something else that I am expected to know by you?
How can you know what anything means?

If you didn’t know something what would or could you do to come to know it?
I don't know, but I'm sure you will tell me.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:26 pm

So what, what are you personally going to do about these larger ever increasing in pressure and intensity cultural issues that seem to concern you a very lot, you still haven't told us have you?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:45 pmSo what, what are you personally going to do about these larger ever increasing in pressure and intensity cultural issues that seem to concern you a very lot, you still haven't told us have you?
I’ve revealed what I can. Have you considered signing up for the Ten Week Email Course?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:40 pm Have you considered signing up for the Ten Week Email Course?
Will me signing up for that course make all the concerning issues you have about the world vanish?

Is signing up for your ten week email course the solution to the ending of all humanities problems?

What about you, what are you doing, seems if your ten week course is the solution, then why are you still harping on about being concerned about cultural issues, why hasn't this concern vanished from your thoughts yet?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:00 pm
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:40 pm Have you considered signing up for the Ten Week Email Course?
Will me signing up for that course make all the concerning issues you have about the world vanish?

Is signing up for your ten week email course the solution to the ending of all humanities problems?

What about you, what are you doing, seems if your ten week course is the solution, then why are you still harping on about being concerned about cultural issues, why hasn't this concern vanished from your thoughts yet?
He hasn't done the course, himself, yet.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:21 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:11 pm Right now, I am rather annoyed because it's bed time, and I have opened what I thought was Cadbury Fruit n Nut, but NO it's 'Black Forest' - I have no idea what is within the chocolate, but it ain't natural!!
You poor man! I can sympathize. I have no idea how you'll get it worked out. But trust the process! 🙃

I dedicate this song to your intellectual capacity..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxNydNnYF5A

..I hope U R != offended

..certainly, it is a song of respect.

PS: The world becomes far more of a strange and convoluted place once U comprehend its inner core, not sure which shore U R capable of..
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:26 pm My purpose is to clarify my own thinking, therefore what it does or doesn’t do for others is irrelevant to me.
Is it really?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:33 pm
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:26 pm My purpose is to clarify my own thinking, therefore what it does or doesn’t do for others is irrelevant to me.
Is it really?
So he says, and my purpose is to clarify how irrelevant he is. 8)
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Harbal wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:50 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:33 pm
Is it really?
So he says...
I'm sometimes inclined to think maybe he is indeed telling the truth here. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯