Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

seeds

Re: Christianity

Post by seeds »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:01 pm
phyllo wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:55 pm The arrogance of the modern man.
There are some here who seem to advocate for severe transcendence: Seeds is one.
There is nothing "severe" in wanting to see humanity do what it has basically been doing for thousands of years in the past, as is depicted in one of my illustrations,...

...and that is to rise to a new level (a new plateau/a new paradigm) of spiritual awareness that transcends the prior levels.

Only, this time, it (a new mythology) needs to be more universal in nature, as opposed to the fractious and divisive mythologies that, at this present moment, have us on the brink of destroying each other.

So, yes, there is metaphysical transcendence involved, however, it must be a transcendence that still allows humans to maintain a firm footing on this planet so that we can keep on keepin' on...

(as I mentioned earlier)

...with the ever-so-down-to-earth process of bringing new eternal souls into existence via the good ol' horizontal mambo and the rearing of children in stable family (and societal) settings.

This also includes the issue (the question) of how far do you suppose humans would progress in the realms of science, medicine, and hardcore technologies if everyone became so transcendent in their spiritual outlook that we all end up like these guys...

...sitting around in our underwear, doing nothing other than coming up with lame platitudes?
_______
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Harbal wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:29 pmGay people pay taxes, don't they? Why shouldn't they have the same rights as any other members of society. I was indifferent to "Pride marches", but I suddenly now find myself being all for them.
They certainly do have rights.

And that attitude is, also, common today. It is based in a resistance to any constraining authority that expresses itself. Different groups will team up to resist a general authority structure.

My point (more than anything else really) is to bring out into the open why our cultures are in such radical upheaval.

I have my own preferences of course, but I have no power to alter the mighty currents of rebellion.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:43 pm
Harbal wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:29 pmGay people pay taxes, don't they? Why shouldn't they have the same rights as any other members of society. I was indifferent to "Pride marches", but I suddenly now find myself being all for them.
They certainly do have rights.

And that attitude is, also, common today. It is based in a resistance to any constraining authority that expresses itself. Different groups will team up to resist a general authority structure.
Well I, for one, am very glad that the Church no longer has any authority.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Seeds, those two men are Paramahansa Yogananda and his chief Western disciple in LA. PY wrote Autobiography of a Yogi, a tremendously influential book.

Note:

[Latin sevērus, serious, strict; see segh- in Indo-European roots.]
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Harbal wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:48 pm Well I, for one, am very glad that the Church no longer has any authority.
Ya don’t say!
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Leviticus 20:10-16

10 ‘If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress are to be put to death.

11 ‘If a man has sexual relations with his father’s wife, he has dishonored his father. Both the man and the woman are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

12 ‘If a man has sexual relations with his daughter-in-law, both of them are to be put to death. What they have done is a perversion; their blood will be on their own heads.

13 ‘If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

14 ‘If a man marries both a woman and her mother, it is wicked. Both he and they must be burned in the fire, so that no wickedness will be among you.

15 ‘If a man has sexual relations with an animal, he is to be put to death, and you must kill the animal.

16 ‘If a woman approaches an animal to have sexual relations with it, kill both the woman and the animal. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

Just out if curiosity, among the Christians here, how does that play out in your own congregation?
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Just the other day some sinners were stoned to death behind the local church.

It happens. :(

Or maybe that was a dream.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:49 pm Seeds, those two men are Paramahansa Yogananda and his chief Western disciple in LA. PY wrote Autobiography of a Yogi, a tremendously influential book.

Note:

Yes, it says that right on the image.

It doesn't change the fact that if we all became yogis like him, how far do you suppose humans would advance in the above stated realms of science, medicine, and the hardcore technologies?

The same question applies to Jesus, in that if everyone became just like Jesus...

(as in celibate and only focused on the transcendent "kingdom of God")

...then not only would humanity not advance, but would literally cease to exist in about a hundred years.
_______
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:50 pm
Harbal wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:48 pm Well I, for one, am very glad that the Church no longer has any authority.
Ya don’t say!
I most certainly do say, and I say it with the utmost vigour. I cannot stress how vigorously I say it.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

seeds wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:15 pm
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:49 pm Seeds, those two men are Paramahansa Yogananda and his chief Western disciple in LA. PY wrote Autobiography of a Yogi, a tremendously influential book.

Note:

It doesn't change the fact that if we all became yogis like him, how far do you suppose humans would advance in the above stated realms of science, medicine, and the hardcore technologies?

The same question applies to Jesus, in that if everyone became just like Jesus...

...then not only would humanity not advance, but would literally cease to exist in about a hundred years.
_______
If one looks at the history of science and technology, the areas of the world where eastern religions and philosophies dominated were not advanced in science and did not exploit technology even when they had it.

Interesting is the fact that mathematics was well developed in India.

Of course, science and technology may be leading us down the path of destruction. Nuclear annihilation, killer AI and consuming all our resources, for example. Might end up on a barren rock with great video games.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

seeds wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:15 pm

Note:

_______
That is certainly true! If one concentrates all ones forces to flow toward the "inner" where it may develop a kind of spiritual paralysis, there isn't much left to understand the "outer" which caused all existence into being.

What have yogis accomplished in understanding the operating paradigms of the cosmos itself?

NOTHING! They just sit there in their underwear pretending enlightenment!
Last edited by Dubious on Wed May 31, 2023 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

iambiguous wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:57 pmJust out if curiosity, among the Christians here, how does that play out in your own congregation?
In Judaism, even quite old and traditional Judaism in all of Europe in the Diaspora, each of those punishments were converted into monetary fines or lighter punishment. They were not enacted. In very early Hebrew history, I suppose, punishments were harsh, but they were similar everywhere (at least to the best of my knowledge).
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Did Jesus support those sorts of punishments?

It doesn't seem so, given what he said and did. For example, he wasn't in favor of stoning the adulterous woman.

So why are those things being linked to Christianity?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:36 pm
iambiguous wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:57 pmJust out if curiosity, among the Christians here, how does that play out in your own congregation?
In Judaism, even quite old and traditional Judaism in all of Europe in the Diaspora, each of those punishments were converted into monetary fines or lighter punishment. They were not enacted. In very early Hebrew history, I suppose, punishments were harsh, but they were similar everywhere (at least to the best of my knowledge).
To the best of my knowledge, the Torah and the first 5 books of the Old Testament are the same:

Genesis
Exodus
Leviticus
Numbers
Deuteronomy

So, Jews and Christians who construe these Books as literally the Word of God either embody this in their own congregations or they are...heretics?

Let the rationalizations begin!!

Although, sure, not being a religious scholar myself, what do I know?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

phyllo wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:49 pm Did Jesus support those sorts of punishments?

It doesn't seem so, given what he said and did. For example, he wasn't in favor of stoning the adulterous woman.

So why are those things being linked to Christianity?
Hmm...

Was or was not Jesus Christ of the New Testament the Christian God of the Old Testament?

Is or is not the Old Testament literally the Word of God?

And, if it is literally the Word of God, what do you suppose He meant by all those "put to deaths"?

Note to IC:

Just out of curiosity, did that ever come up in those videos?