solving racism

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Stephen

Re: solving racism

Post by Stephen »

Advocate wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:41 pm c) Your own experience shows you that racism is necessary.
download gb whatsapp
Each of these can be addressed in a certain epistemological way.
My own experience shows me that racism is not necessary.
I has a friend from my school days back in 2008. My grandpa always told me not to talk & meet with him because of his race and sometimes also threatened me. Which i never get why at that time. But i ignored all his warnings and i continued to meet him. As the time passed by, grandpa's way of seeing him also changed, don't know why. And he never told me again to not to meet him. He even made friends with his father :) . And till this date, he is my friend and also coworker.
It is my experience.
jasam34

Post by jasam34 »

Although there’s research indicating that infants demonstrate a preference for caregivers of their own race, any future racial biases and bigotries generally are environmentally acquired. Adult racist sentiments are often cemented by a misguided yet strong sense of entitlement, perhaps also acquired from one’s environment.
Philosphicalous

Post by Philosphicalous »

Advocate wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:41 pm There are three reasons you might believe being racist is the correct world-view.

a) You trust that racist people around you to have your best interest in mind.
b) You believe even if racism is bad, there is some other reason to be racist that is more important.
c) Your own experience shows you that racism is necessary.

Racists stand before God as murderers. To God hating someone on one’s heart is murder. Racism is nebulous meaningless word.
Philosphicalous

Post by Philosphicalous »

Philosphicalous wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:19 am
Advocate wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:41 pm There are three reasons you might believe being racist is the correct world-view.

a) You trust that racist people around you to have your best interest in mind.
b) You believe even if racism is bad, there is some other reason to be racist that is more important.
c) Your own experience shows you that racism is necessary.

Racists stand before God as murderers. To God hating someone on one’s heart is murder. Racism is nebulous meaningless word. Problem solved.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

jasam34 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:20 am Although there’s research indicating that infants demonstrate a preference for caregivers of their own race, any future racial biases and bigotries generally are environmentally acquired. Adult racist sentiments are often cemented by a misguided yet strong sense of entitlement, perhaps also acquired from one’s environment.
Addressing racism from infant predilection doesn’t seem practical and adjusting the environment seems almost impossible.

Nonetheless, I would like to brainstorm with you and other forum members on possible solutions in either of these realms.

First of all, I’d say the best strategy lies in manipulating the environment of preschoolers or that of the earliest school years possible.

What needs to be done and how to do it is beyond me at the moment.

Any ideas? Anyone?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

commonsense wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:44 pm
jasam34 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:20 am Although there’s research indicating that infants demonstrate a preference for caregivers of their own race, any future racial biases and bigotries generally are environmentally acquired. Adult racist sentiments are often cemented by a misguided yet strong sense of entitlement, perhaps also acquired from one’s environment.
Addressing racism from infant predilection doesn’t seem practical and adjusting the environment seems almost impossible.

Nonetheless, I would like to brainstorm with you and other forum members on possible solutions in either of these realms.

First of all, I’d say the best strategy lies in manipulating the environment of preschoolers or that of the earliest school years possible.

What needs to be done and how to do it is beyond me at the moment.

Any ideas? Anyone?
Racism has been decreasing for centuries and in the absence of computer algorithms likely would have continued to decrease at a moderate pace until it became mere background noise. Unfortunately the combination of the death of the middle class has more or less coincided with the advent of computer algorithms in social media which has funneled a racist excuse to explain why previously middle class white folks are losing economic ground, never mind that the ultrawealthy having bought and paid for legislators who watered down the tax code to shift huge amounts of wealth upwards to the detriment of the middle class. Thus racism is at least static with one group continuing to decrease it's prevalence while the previously mentioned downwardly mobile are increasing it.
nemos

Post by nemos »

I am not sure that it is productive to deal with racism separately from other forms of chauvinism, because racism is a symptom and chauvinism is a diagnosis.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

nemos wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:24 am I am not sure that it is productive to deal with racism separately from other forms of chauvinism, because racism is a symptom and chauvinism is a diagnosis.
I agree that chauvinism may be seen as the underlying cause of racism. However, I cannot think of many other forms. Could you give examples of what you are thinking about?
nemos

Post by nemos »

Chauvinism is basically translated as intolerance and a demonstration of superiority.
Racial, national, minority, gender, religious, ... chauvinism or intolerance.

If someone thinks it is possible to demonstrate his superiority by subjugating others, he will find an excuse - he is not white, he is from a banana republic, he has a low social status, she is only a woman, ...
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

nemos wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:37 am Chauvinism is basically translated as intolerance and a demonstration of superiority.
Racial, national, minority, gender, religious, ... chauvinism or intolerance.

If someone thinks it is possible to demonstrate his superiority by subjugating others, he will find an excuse - he is not white, he is from a banana republic, he has a low social status, she is only a woman, ...
I think partisanship qualifies as well.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

I feel America is particularly racist within the realms of the establishment, such as the police and their protocols.

When I have watched some crime thang on utube and the police officer fills out a standard piece of paperwork one of the question is "RACE" and "BLACK" is written down by the officer! Since when is 'black' a race? Let's face it, people arn't even black, but there are many various races of brown people!

Somebody's skin hue does not define their race - bloody ridiculous.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:48 pm I feel America is particularly racist within the realms of the establishment, such as the police and their protocols.

When I have watched some crime thang on utube and the police officer fills out a standard piece of paperwork one of the question is "RACE" and "BLACK" is written down by the officer! Since when is 'black' a race? Let's face it, people arn't even black, but there are many various races of brown people!

The first time I saw a person of color, I asked someone why his skin was brown. I was told it wasn’t brown, but it was black. Even at an early age, I, like you, couldn’t understand this.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:48 pm I feel America is particularly racist within the realms of the establishment, such as the police and their protocols.

Really?!? Compared to where? In my experience it's the opposite.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

LuckyR wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:55 pm

You first...really where? (and note I am talking mainly with regards to the establishment - in particular police)
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:24 pm
LuckyR wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:55 pm

You first...really where? (and note I am talking mainly with regards to the establishment - in particular police)
Okkaaayyyy... You make the red statement then suddenly are shy on backing it up?

Now it seems you're backing off on the country and speaking of the "establishment" (whatever that is). Just so you know, "America" doesn't have a police force (the police are run by cities). There are federal Marshals but I have heard no particular complaints of racism about them.