no speeking english please

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

no speeking english please

Post by Advocate »

If you're operating a restaurant in a place where 99% of people speak English, and you don't, nobody should shed a tear for you when your customers hate you for screwing up their orders and you go out of business.
Scott Mayers

Re: no speeking english please

Post by Scott Mayers »

Advocate wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:12 am If you're operating a restaurant in a place where 99% of people speak English, and you don't, nobody should shed a tear for you when your customers hate you for screwing up their orders and you go out of business.
Agreed. But you have to be cautious not to attract the flies when speaking on this because those who DO have sincere hatred tend to latch onto this and justify why they think they should interpret non-English speakers as 'inferior'. To some who believe in this as 'systematic', they tend to believe that exceptions to those who are considered 'minority' in the community is a necessary etiquette. I disagree. We need to just be clear to express what we mean with appropriate detail.

I've seen local businesses that get bought by some owners of some 'culture' who opt to hire ONLY those of their community with relative bias that get closed down for this reason. When you order something and they speak UNIQUELY in the language of those they opted to hire strictly to their staff (in earshot of the publi), this suggests a disrespect of the customer in the way one might opt to whisper in someone's ear in front of another. This is how, at least, it is perceived, even if unintended. Caution should default to the common language of those they serve and keep one's personal preference of language separate from the job.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

And don't get me started on not allowing order modifications.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

And don't get me started on convenience fees.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

And don't get me started on mandatory tipping.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

no soup for you!

-Imp
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Impenitent post_id=476255 time=1603185224 user_id=3944]
no soup for you!

-Imp
[/quote]