Sister of incarcerated brother who is looking to discuss philosophy

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

mandes31

Sister of incarcerated brother who is looking to discuss philosophy

Post by mandes31 »

Hi-My brother gets this magazine and really enjoys it. He also took a logic and reasoning class just recently. Unfortunately he is in prison and so the people he interacts with is limited and often with people he doesn't have anything in common with. I have a Psychology degree and work with adults with developmental and intellectual disabilities. I am not overly interested in Philosophy myself at least not as much as my brother. My brother will now be taking Math and English courses. So his main interest is finding basically a pen pal to discuss philosophy with him but possibly that person could also help answer some questions he'd have about those courses too. So my thought has been to hire a tutor for my brother. I tried posting in Craig's list though and so far no luck. Really his main interest again is just a pen pal for philosophy so maybe it could just be considered a tutor for philosophy. Since my brother can only communicate by mail (to talk to me he, he has to call through an account we set up), I am looking for someone to write him letters and I would reimburse for this as if you were basically his philosophy tutor. Please PM me if this interests you.
Thank you,
Michelle
PeteJ

Re: Sister of incarcerated brother who is looking to discuss philosophy

Post by PeteJ »

Hi Michelle

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I would be more than happy to correspond with him if he has a serious interest. I need no reimbursement. The drawback would be that while I know a fair bit about philosophy I have no interest in exams and set curricula. If he is trying to gain grades or pass tests then I would not be the right person and would not be keen anyway. If he is trying to understand philosophy then I'd be up for it.

How it goes may depend on his abilities, previous knowledge and ability to read philosophical texts, but that will come out in the wash.
Immanuel Can

Re: Sister of incarcerated brother who is looking to discuss philosophy

Post by Immanuel Can »

What country is he in?

There are different possibilities, depending on the answer.