What could make morality objective?

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Peter Holmes

Re: What could make morality objective?

Post by Peter Holmes »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:26 am
Peter Holmes wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:32 pm VA.

Why is the scientific 'framework and system of reality and cognition' (FSRC) 'the gold standard' with regard to credibility and reliability? And how can we know it is? By what criteria?

Please explain this without appealing to another FSRC, because that would be a circular or infinite regress argument. Happy to explain, if you don't understand.

If you agree it's because the natural sciences give us knowledge of reality, then welcome back.
I have already explained the above in many posts and on how to do it without begging the question.

Off hand, based on your own intuitive assessment, can you give me what other FSRCs [besides mathematics the 2nd most objective] can possibly be more credible and objective than the scientific FSRC as the gold standard.
Give me 5 possible FSRCs that are more credible and objective, if not at least 1 or 2.
If you agree it's because the natural sciences give us knowledge of reality, then welcome back.
Not sure what is your point?

I have insisted the scientific FSRC [at its best] is the most credible and objective and provided the necessary justifications why it is so.

I qualify "at its best" because even with natural sciences, e.g. physics, biology, chemistry has their speculative and purely theoretical aspects, e.g. big-bang, evolution, and others which do not represent its best.
No, pay attention. The purpose of my question is not to challenge the idea that the natural sciences provide the most credible and reliable knowledge of reality. To keep it simple, let's just agree that they do.

Given that, I'm asking you to explain why this is the case. You say you have 'provided the necessary justifications', but I don't think you have. Your explanation is flatly question-begging.
Last edited by Peter Holmes on Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:26 am Give me 5 possible FSRCs that are more credible and objective, if not at least 1 or 2.
Lists... lists are the only move you have. Even when they are completely meaningless, as there where your challenge completely misses the point, lists will always be the only idea you have.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Peter Holmes wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:02 am
Peter Holmes wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:32 pm VA.

Why is the scientific 'framework and system of reality and cognition' (FSRC) 'the gold standard' with regard to credibility and reliability? And how can we know it is? By what criteria?

Please explain this without appealing to another FSRC, because that would be a circular or infinite regress argument. Happy to explain, if you don't understand.

I have already explained the above in many posts and on how to do it without begging the question.

Off hand, based on your own intuitive assessment, can you give me what other FSRCs [besides mathematics the 2nd most objective] can possibly be more credible and objective than the scientific FSRC as the gold standard.
Give me 5 possible FSRCs that are more credible and objective, if not at least 1 or 2.

I have insisted the scientific FSRC [at its best] is the most credible and objective and provided the necessary justifications why it is so.

I qualify "at its best" because even with natural sciences, e.g. physics, biology, chemistry has their speculative and purely theoretical aspects, e.g. big-bang, evolution, and others which do not represent its best.
No, pay attention. The purpose of my question is not to challenge the idea that the natural sciences provide the most credible and reliable knowledge of reality. To keep it simple, let's just agree that they do.

Given that, I'm asking you to explain why this is the case. You say you have 'provided the necessary justifications', but I don't think you have. If I missed this, I apologise - and I'd be grateful if you can set it out clearly and simply again.
Read the post I responded to you earlier ..
viewtopic.php?p=702182#p702182

I have already explained and linked it [& related threads] a "million" times.

What is a Framework and System of Knowledge?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31889

Criteria in Rating Credibility & Objectivity of a FSK
viewtopic.php?t=41040

Why the Scientific FSK is the Most Credible and Reliable
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=39585

What Other Source of Knowledge is More Credible than Science?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40044

You have to understand [not agree with] the above to give your reasons why my theory re FSK [FSRC] is useless.
I am seriously interested in your views.

To get a better understanding of the FSRC, it is advisable you read this;

Relativism, Contextualism, Perspectivism & FSRC
viewtopic.php?t=41979
The fundamentals are the same. i.e. while relativism is on relativity, mine is on contingency, unconditionality and necessity.

This is a serious topic as reflected in this SEP article;
Relativism
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/relativism/

I suggest you read this article will resolve most the misunderstanding of my points
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:14 am

Given that, I'm asking you to explain why this is the case. You say you have 'provided the necessary justifications', but I don't think you have. If I missed this, I apologise - and I'd be grateful if you can set it out clearly and simply again.

viewtopic.php?t=41040

You have to understand [not agree with] the above to give your reasons why my theory re FSK [FSRC] is useless.

viewtopic.php?t=41979
The fundamentals are the same. i.e. while relativism is on relativity, mine is on contingency, unconditionality and necessity.

Relativism

I suggest you read this article will resolve most the misunderstanding of my points
I don't misunderstand your argument. It's just fallacious. Your FSRC theory provides no basis for assessing the credibility, reliability or objectivity of a practice and discourse that produces knowledge - and so for comparing discourses - because your first premise is that all knowledge is within an FSRC.

And this is circular, because whatever FSRC 'produces' the knowledge that an FSRC is credible, reliable, etc - can't be self-authenticating or self-authorising. There is no 'master' FSRC above the fray of competing FSRCs - no way to show that astronomy is 'gold standard' and astrology is cack.

All you do in your many posts is say that the natural sciences are the gold standard. If you appeal to empirical evidence, your theory blocks that answer, because you say there can be no facts outside an FSRC - so empirical evidence can only be evidence of things that exist only within a model.

You say 'what is fact' is always within a model - an FSRC - so you can't appeal to facts to justify the credibility, reliability and objectivity of a model. Have a careful think about this.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Peter Holmes wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:46 am I don't misunderstand your argument. It's just fallacious. Your FSRC theory provides no basis for assessing the credibility, reliability or objectivity of a practice and discourse that produces knowledge - and so for comparing discourses - because your first premise is that all knowledge is within an FSRC.

And this is circular, because whatever FSRC 'produces' the knowledge that an FSRC is credible, reliable, etc - can't be self-authenticating or self-authorising. There is no 'master' FSRC above the fray of competing FSRCs - no way to show that astronomy is 'gold standard' and astrology is cack.

All you do in your many posts is say that the natural sciences are the gold standard. If you appeal to empirical evidence, your theory blocks that answer, because you say there can be no facts outside an FSRC - so empirical evidence can only be evidence of things that exist only within a model.

You say 'what is fact' is always within a model - an FSRC - so you can't appeal to facts to justify the credibility, reliability and objectivity of a model. Have a careful think about this.
Peter "Dumb Cunt" Holmes defeats himself again.

In rejecting the existence of a gold standard, if there is no "master" amongst the competing options then there can be no "master FSRC", a basis for determining fallaciousness.

There can be no ultimate authority on the carefulness of one's thoughts. You block all of your own answers.

A peculiar thing! At some point thought terminates and speaking commences. Why?
Last edited by Skepdick on Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veritas Aequitas

Peter Holmes wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:46 am

viewtopic.php?t=41040

viewtopic.php?t=41979

Relativism

I don't misunderstand your argument. It's just fallacious. Your FSRC theory provides no basis for assessing the credibility, reliability or objectivity of a practice and discourse that produces knowledge - and so for comparing discourses - because your first premise is that all knowledge is within an FSRC.

I don't see the sort of crude circularity from traditional logic is applicable to the above.

In the case of assessing the credibility and objective of each FSRC, that is based on the generally accepted criteria any rational person would readily accept.
As such the resultant of the assessment would be acceptable by all rational people.
Show me evidence where rational people has rejected the results of any such exercise on the excuse of circularity from traditional logic.

If you don't agree, give a list of FSRC that could be more credible and objective than the scientific FSRC at its best?
FlashDangerpants

Polly wanna list.
Veritas Aequitas

Peter Holmes wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:46 am I don't misunderstand your argument. It's just fallacious. Your FSRC theory provides no basis for assessing the credibility, reliability or objectivity of a practice and discourse that produces knowledge - and so for comparing discourses - because your first premise is that all knowledge is within an FSRC.

Here is the mature view [from AI {wR}] to the above problem;
AI wrote:Escaping Circularity:

Here are approaches to avoid circularity:

Non-Circular Foundation: Introduce a meta-framework (outside any specific FSK) that establishes basic principles for evaluating FSKs. This meta-framework could include things like:
  • Internal consistency: The FSK doesn't lead to contradictions within itself.
    Explanatory power: The FSK explains a wide range of phenomena.
    Predictive ability: The FSK allows for predictions that can be tested.
    Openness to revision: The FSK allows for new evidence to change its structure.
Break the Circle; Escape Clause: Your proposed escape clause of making "knowledge of the credibility of FSKs" an exception is a reasonable approach. This acknowledges a meta-level knowledge that sits outside the specific FSK being used. This exemption acknowledges that evaluating frameworks themselves requires a different kind of knowledge, one that is more metacognitive (thinking about thinking). This metacognitive knowledge could be based on principles of logic, consistency, evidence-based reasoning, and broad societal acceptance.

Bootstrapping: You can think of establishing the credibility of scientific FSK as a bootstrapping process. Initially, we might rely on simpler frameworks or common-sense observations to evaluate different FSKs. These simpler frameworks might not be perfect, but they can provide a starting point. As we build scientific knowledge, we can refine our criteria for judging FSKs based on evidence, consistency, predictive power, etc.

Convergence: Scientific progress often involves convergence of evidence from multiple frameworks. While individual FSKs might have limitations, the convergence of results across different approaches strengthens the overall credibility and objectivity of the scientific FSK.

Levels of Analysis: Another way to escape circularity is to consider levels of analysis. You could argue that basic observation and logic can provide some foundational knowledge (e.g., "the sky is blue") that serves as a starting point for building FSKs. This basic knowledge wouldn't rely on a specific FSK itself.

Here's a revised approach:

Start with a Basic Framework: Begin with a simple, common-sense framework to evaluate different FSKs.
Scientific FSK Emerges: Through observation, experimentation, and refinement, a scientific FSK emerges that demonstrates its effectiveness in explaining and predicting phenomena.
Credibility Through Convergence: The scientific FSK gains further credibility when its results converge with evidence from other independent frameworks.
This approach avoids circularity by acknowledging a starting point outside the specific FSKs and then building credibility through a cumulative process.

Additionally:

Be transparent about the limitations of any FSK, including the scientific one. No framework is perfect, but some are demonstrably better than others at explaining specific phenomena.

Classical Logic Limitations:

Classical logic may not be the best tool for this situation. FSKs are complex systems, and classical logic struggles with fuzzy boundaries and nuanced relationships. Consider exploring:

Fuzzy Logic: Allows for degrees of truth, more accurately reflecting the complexities of FSK evaluation.
Epistemology: The branch of philosophy dealing with knowledge and its justification, which goes beyond the formal rules of classical logic.
For coherence sake to the above, list the possible FSRCs [other than mathematics] that could be more credible and objective than the scientific FSRC at its best?
FlashDangerpants

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:45 am list
It's lists all the way down.

Why haven't you used AI to list all the KFCs yet?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:52 am It's lists all the way down.
ALL the way? It sounds like you've gotten to the bottom of it all.

Do tell!
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:00 am

viewtopic.php?t=41040

viewtopic.php?t=41979

Relativism

I don't see the sort of crude circularity from traditional logic is applicable to the above.

In the case of assessing the credibility and objective of each FSRC, that is based on the generally accepted criteria any rational person would readily accept.
And here's the rub. You invoke 'the generally accepted criteria any rational person would readily accept.' But you won't spell those criteria out - because to do so would demolish your antirealism.
As such the resultant of the assessment would be acceptable by all rational people.
Show me evidence where rational people has rejected the results of any such exercise on the excuse of circularity from traditional logic.

If you don't agree, give a list of FSRC that could be more credible and objective than the scientific FSRC at its best?
This is wilful misrepresentation. To repeat, I agree that the natural sciences provide the most credible, etc, knowledge of reality.

Let's try again.

1 The only way we can assess and compare the credibility/reliability/accuracy/objectivity of models of reality is to see how well they describe or 'model' reality. For example, that's how we know that astronomy is 'gold standard' and astrology is cack.

2 But your FRSC theory states that there is no such thing as reality ('what is fact') outside a model of reality. So there's nothing against which we can assess and compare our models.

3 So your FSRC theory can't explain why the natural sciences are the 'gold standard' for providing knowledge of reality. Your theory undermines or contradicts that claim.

Now, until you actually address and try to refute my argument, you're wasting your own and everyone else's time.
Veritas Aequitas

Peter Holmes wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:19 am

And here's the rub. You invoke 'the generally accepted criteria any rational person would readily accept.' But you won't spell those criteria out - because to do so would demolish your antirealism.
The criteria that all rational person would accept are listed in the thread above.

This is wilful misrepresentation. To repeat, I agree that the natural sciences provide the most credible, etc, knowledge of reality.
How?
You, your parents, children, kin said so?
What is your justification for the above?
Let's try again.

1 The only way we can assess and compare the credibility/reliability/accuracy/objectivity of models of reality is to see how well they describe or 'model' reality. For example, that's how we know that astronomy is 'gold standard' and astrology is cack.
How?
That is why I provide the criteria for the above.
You are just merely making statements but provide not means of justification.
2 But your FRSC theory states that there is no such thing as reality ('what is fact') outside a model of reality. So there's nothing against which we can assess and compare our models.
As I had argued, your basis that there is an absolute reality outside the FSRC is grounded on an illusion.
As such you don't have any grounds to argue against my theory.

PH's What is Fact is Illusory
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39577
You have not countered this effectively.

3 So your FSRC theory can't explain why the natural sciences are the 'gold standard' for providing knowledge of reality. Your theory undermines or contradicts that claim.
I have explained the gold standard is based on criteria accepted by rational basis.
Note the AI's view that we can make this assessment as exception and this is dealt of a meta-level.
You missed this thread?? on why the circularity from classical logic is not significant in this case?
viewtopic.php?p=702379#p702379
Now, until you actually address and try to refute my argument, you're wasting your own and everyone else's time.
You argument is grounded on an illusion, it is a non-starter for you to refute my argument.

It is none of your business regarding what I am doing.

Remember I had thanked you for not agreeing with my argument and I am hoping you will never do because I am using your ignorance to expand my database on morality and ethics.
When I first started, other than a separate Kantian ethics, I had zero in my general ethics folder, but due to your dogmatism I have now >1800 files in 113 folders in the General Morality & Ethics Folder.
Keep going, you will not be wasting your time is assisting someone in expanding his knowledge on morality and ethics.
FlashDangerpants

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:38 am

How?
Your "credibility" metric is noting but say-so. The contents of the FSK are a list of nothings but say-so. You don't tether science to reality of any sort, you just grant it powers of group hallucination.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:52 am Your "credibility" metric is noting but say-so. The contents of the FSK are a list of nothings but say-so. You don't tether science to reality of any sort, you just grant it powers of group hallucination.
👆 This comment, and most of the things you ever say, amounts to nothing but say-so. You just grant powers to your personal hallucination over the hallucinations of others.

What does the pointlessness of your philosophy taste like?
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:38 am
Peter Holmes wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:19 am

The criteria that all rational person would accept are listed in the thread above.

How?
Let's try again.

How?
That is why I provide the criteria for the above.
You are just merely making statements but provide not means of justification.
As I had argued, your basis that there is an absolute reality outside the FSRC is grounded on an illusion.
As such you don't have any grounds to argue against my theory.

You have not countered this effectively.

I have explained the gold standard is based on criteria accepted by rational basis.
Note the AI's view that we can make this assessment as exception and this is dealt of a meta-level.
You missed this thread?? on why the circularity from classical logic is not significant in this case?
viewtopic.php?p=702379#p702379
You argument is grounded on an illusion, it is a non-starter for you to refute my argument.

It is none of your business regarding what I am doing.

Remember I had thanked you for not agreeing with my argument and I am hoping you will never do because I am using your ignorance to expand my database on morality and ethics.
When I first started, other than a separate Kantian ethics, I had zero in my general ethics folder, but due to your dogmatism I have now >1800 files in 113 folders in the General Morality & Ethics Folder.
Keep going, you will not be wasting your time is assisting someone in expanding his knowledge on morality and ethics.
Failed again. You're not actually addressing my argument and trying to refute it.

You claim to have set out 'the generally accepted criteria any rational person would readily accept' in assessing and comparing models of reality. But you refuse to acknowledge that, given your FSRC theory, such criteria can exist only within a model of reality, so the assessment and comparison is worthless.

It amounts to using a model to assess models for their relative objectivity. There's no way out here. How can we assess the objectivity of those generally accepted criteria? The obvious answer - that we can do it by assessing and comparing how well models describe reality - is one your silly theory blocks for you.

And as for what's my business - you're proposing a silly philosophical theory, so this is precisely the place where it's others' business to expose its silliness.