Is morality objective or subjective?

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: Is morality objective or subjective?

Post by Skepdick »

Will Bouwman wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:39 pm
Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:08 pm
Will Bouwman wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:17 pm I'll take that as a yes.
I'll take that as utter mathematical incompetence.
On the plus side, I can speak English.
In which English dialect is a part of the whole identical with the whole?

You're officially dumber than a language model...
In which English dialect is a part of the whole identical with the whole?
I don't believe there is any English dialect where a part of the whole is considered identical or synonymous with the whole itself. That would defy the basic logic and meanings of those words across all varieties of English.

The idea that a part could be identical or interchangeable with the entire whole goes against standard English usage and understanding. A part by definition is a piece or portion of something larger, not the complete thing itself.

Unless you are referring to some very specialized linguistic context or particular phrasing I'm not aware of, the notion of a part being identical to the whole doesn't align with how English dialects utilize those words and concepts. Could you provide more context about what specific dialect or usage you have in mind? I'd be happy to examine a concrete example.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:43 pm My point is that God could only know the future if the future was fixed, but I'm not saying God fixed it.
Then what are you saying? Because then you're the existence of some being you're referring to as "god" but definitely isn't. That doesn't add up.
But we might also note that one can "know" multiple alternatives at the same time. If I were God, I might know what will happen if Harbal responds to this message, and also what would happen if Harbal did not respond to this message.
But that is not a possibility, because God already knows which one I will do, so the alternative never arises.
It certainly appears in Harbal's experience. Harbal doesn't know beforehand what he's going to do.
So God can know both what Harbal will do, and what would have happened had Harbal chosen otherwise than he, in fact, did.
If God knows what I will do, then how could I have chosen otherwise without God being wrong in the first place? which he never is.
Again, because His "knowing" doesn't constrain your "choosing" in any way. Harbal still chooses. God only knows what Harbal will choose; He doesn't choose for Harbal.
Harbal remains free, and I still know how he is going to choose freely to actualize his choice.
If God knows what I am going to do, am I free to do something different and make him wrong?
If God has middle knowledge, then that means He also knows what would have happened if Harbal had chosen differently. So no: because if you'd chosen the other thing, then that's the thing God would have known you were going to choose. He's never wrong; the Biblical record assures us of that; but He's also not micromanaging your choices for you, because the same Biblical record asserts the reality of human freedom and responsibility, as well as God's knowledge of all counterfactuals.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:36 pm
Harbal wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:43 pm My point is that God could only know the future if the future was fixed, but I'm not saying God fixed it.
Then what are you saying? Because then you're the existence of some being you're referring to as "god" but definitely isn't. That doesn't add up.
I can't work out what that is supposed to mean.
IC wrote:
Harbal wrote:If God knows what I will do, then how could I have chosen otherwise without God being wrong in the first place? which he never is.
Again, because His "knowing" doesn't constrain your "choosing" in any way. Harbal still chooses. God only knows what Harbal will choose; He doesn't choose for Harbal.
But something constrains my choosing, and limits me to only being able to do the thing that God already knows I will do. I don't really have a choice, just the appearance of one.
IC wrote:
Harbal wrote:If God knows what I am going to do, am I free to do something different and make him wrong?
If God has middle knowledge, then that means He also knows what would have happened if Harbal had chosen differently. So no: because if you'd chosen the other thing, then that's the thing God would have known you were going to choose.
It cannot be both the case that God knows everything I will do, and that I have free will; those two things contradict each other. You are making me repeat myself now. :|
He's never wrong; the Biblical record assures us of that
The Bible doesn't assure me of it, and neither do you. It is a ridiculous proposal, and I am only going along with it hypothetically for the sake of the argument.
but He's also not micromanaging your choices for you, because the same Biblical record asserts the reality of human freedom and responsibility, as well as God's knowledge of all counterfactuals.
The argument of, it must be true because it says so in the Bible, might work in church, but it won't wash on a philosophy forum.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:14 pm
It's supposed to point out that the definition of "God" is "the Supreme Being." So there can't be anything prior to "the Supreme Being" that would be capable of "fixing" things Deterministically.
IC wrote:
Harbal wrote:If God knows what I will do, then how could I have chosen otherwise without God being wrong in the first place? which he never is.
But something constrains my choosing,...
Yes. Your own volition decides what, among the alternatives available to you, you choose. You have agency. You have free will.
It cannot be both the case that God knows everything I will do, and that I have free will; those two things contradict each other.
No, because "what I will do" is about "doing," and what "God knows" is about "knowing."

And that's precisely why, if you have tried, you will find that you're not able to put your argument into syllogistic form: it's not logical, even though you feel as if it is. Tested by formal logic, it simply fails. It commits what's called "a shifting of the middle term," or an "error of amphiboly."

But don't believe me: just try to do it, and you'll see it for yourself.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:37 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:35 am A person can most definitely predict without knowing, there is an entire gambling industry predicated on exactly that.
If his prediction were ever to be 100% guaranteed to be correct every time, as God's is, then it's certainly a form of knowing. There would be no important distinction between knowing that certainly before, or that certainly after.
that would be a you problem.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:39 pm
Harbal wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:14 pm
It's supposed to point out that the definition of "God" is "the Supreme Being." So there can't be anything prior to "the Supreme Being" that would be capable of "fixing" things Deterministically.
This conversation is based on the hypothetical proposition that God knows everything that will happen in the future, and that is the only claim about God that I am taking into account. You can call him the supreme being, or whatever you want to, but that is nothing to do with me, or this particular discussion.
IC wrote:
Harbal wrote:It cannot be both the case that God knows everything I will do, and that I have free will; those two things contradict each other.
No, because "what I will do" is about "doing," and what "God knows" is about "knowing."
That's not an argument. :?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:37 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:37 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:35 am A person can most definitely predict without knowing, there is an entire gambling industry predicated on exactly that.
If his prediction were ever to be 100% guaranteed to be correct every time, as God's is, then it's certainly a form of knowing. There would be no important distinction between knowing that certainly before, or that certainly after.
that would be a you problem.
:? Okay.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:47 pm
IC wrote:
Harbal wrote:It cannot be both the case that God knows everything I will do, and that I have free will; those two things contradict each other.
My argument is simple: one can't make a valid syllogism that supposes what you're supposing: namely, that "doing" and "knowing" are entailed in each other. The fact that one can't should tell you something: there's a serious logical flaw in your objection, something fundamentally illogical.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:21 pm
IC wrote: No, because "what I will do" is about "doing," and what "God knows" is about "knowing."
My argument is simple: one can't make a valid syllogism that supposes what you're supposing: namely, that "doing" and "knowing" are entailed in each other.
How have you arrived at the conclusion that I am supposing that? :?

It is impossible to know what is in the future unless the future is somehow there to be seen, but that would mean a future that is already fixed. Unless you can explain how a future event can be known with certainty, yet not be inevitable.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:01 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:21 pm
My argument is simple: one can't make a valid syllogism that supposes what you're supposing: namely, that "doing" and "knowing" are entailed in each other.
How have you arrived at the conclusion that I am supposing that? :?
Because unless it's true, then making the syllogism is impossible.

If you check the rules of logic, you'd see that no syllogism can have two middle terms. "Know" and "make happen" are different middle terms. If they don't mean the same thing, then the syllogism's impossible. A valid one can't be constructed.

So your belief that God's knowing means that He's predetermined everything is wrong. We know that. It can't be articulated in a logically valid way. You may still not understand that, and may feel there's an argument still to be made about that: what logic shows us is that your feeling is incorrect, and there isn't such an argument to be made.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:14 pm
So your belief that God's knowing means that He's predetermined everything is wrong.
But that isn't what I've been saying, and I have gone to great lengths to make that clear. God's knowing means that things must be predetermined, but I'm not saying they have been predetermined by God. I don't know by what means a predetermined universe could come about, but you don't know by what means God knows the future.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:24 pm
So your belief that God's knowing means that He's predetermined everything is wrong.
But that isn't what I've been saying, and I have gone to great lengths to make that clear. God's knowing means that things must be predetermined, but I'm not saying they have been predetermined by God.
And yet, that just creates a regression problem. If there's something prior to God, something capable of predetermining things that is NOT God, then by definition, what you're calling "God" is not God at all, but some secondary being; and what's really "God" is the prior, predetermining agency, whatever you name that to be. Because that entity is the real "Supreme Being."
I don't know by what means a predetermined universe could come about, but you don't know by what means God knows the future.
There's a fair bit none of us knows about God. And that's not at all surprising: it would be more surprising if one of us claimed to have comprehensive understanding of his perspective.

Good thing, then, that neither of us is claiming that.

Some measure of intellectual humility is required of us both here, I would say: if it's complex to explain the ways of God for me, it's at least equally complex for you to interrogate them. That's just proportional and logical. Neither you nor I can reasonably expect to arrive at the point where we say, "Well, now I've got the exact formula for how this all works." If we could do that, we might well be God ourselves. :wink:
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:58 pm
But that isn't what I've been saying, and I have gone to great lengths to make that clear. God's knowing means that things must be predetermined, but I'm not saying they have been predetermined by God.
And yet, that just creates a regression problem. If there's something prior to God, something capable of predetermining things that is NOT God, then by definition, what you're calling "God" is not God at all, but some secondary being; and what's really "God" is the prior, predetermining agency, whatever you name that to be. Because that entity is the real "Supreme Being."
Okay, so God didn't create a predetermined universe, and you say nothing else could have done it, so we are left with what I suspected all along. God doesn't know what the future will be, or what decisions I or anyone else will make; there is no way he possibly could know, especially as he doesn't even exist. 🙂
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Lorikeet wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:45 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:40 am I agree with the above except:

I define morality as the management of evil to enable the emergence of the related good.
What is evil is related to anything that has potentiality of fatality and is net-negative to the well-being and flourishing of the individuals and that of humanity.
Objectively speaking there is no good nor evil.
Like I said....all value judgments, including good/bad, are based on a triangulation, between a subject, its objective, and its appreciation of the effort, distance separating the two.

So, if the objective is survival, or if the objective is power, this alters the triangulating relationships, changing what is considered to be 'good' and what 'bad.'
Every culture has its own ideals, its own objectives. Each ideal is aligned with reality to different degrees, some ideals existing entirely "outside" reality, beyond existence, such as the Abrahamic one-god.
This inverts the triangulations entirely, changing their relationships. In this case the distance between subject and its objective (god) is eternal.....it can never be bridged. this is intentional, because the subject is placed in a perpetual state of failure - sinfulness, desperation, seeking salvation from its predicament, and it is given this solution in the form of submission, with a reward after death.
I agree there is no absolute evil nor good.
The term 'evil' and 'good' in 'objective' in the sense of intersubjectivity or the triangulation within a specific framework and system.
In addition, we must have an exhaustive and specific set of conducts and acts that are defined as evil.

Every culture or group will have its own objectives but they are sub-objective to the generic objective of the human species.
For example there is the main objective of the digestive and nutrition system which is generic to ALL humans.
However different culture or group would have its sub-objectives in how to produce, prepare and consume the food that serve the main objectives of the digestive and nutrition system, which is a sub-objective of the greater objective of survival.

It is the same with the moral function and system within ALL humans.
The problem is the generic moral system within ALL human is very subtle and not so noticeable, thus leaving most to focus on its sub-objectives.

Ethics is the applied system to achieve the ultimate objectives of morality.
Ethics will facilitate the individuals to be progressively moral naturally and spontaneously within any coercions from rules, threat of hell, punishment and the like.
I use morality/ethics to differentiate evolved from manmade adjustments.
Genetically determined, leading to mimetically alterations, based on human objectives.
A distinction which is crucial in understanding what morality is and why it is so important to species like us.
Species that have adopted a cooperative method of survival and procreation.
There is no absolute meaning to a word.
At present the terms 'morality' and 'ethics' are too loose and used interchangeably.
As I understand and will use, 'ethics' is the main term that covers whatever is deemed good conduct for the well-being and flourishing for the individuals and humanity.
Morality deal with the principles [theory], thus is the "pure" aspect.
Ethics is used again to denote the 'applied' [practices] aspect.
If we do not define and agree upon the terms, the discussion will go all over the place.

As such I do not see ethics as the collective rules imposing restriction to individual behaviors.
Such rules would be related to customs, traditions, culture, politics [legislation] and other constitutional rules.
Ethics are additional methods of enforcement.
They express collective approval of individual actions, relative to the welfare of the group.

For instance, inter-group violence is detrimental to group cohesion, negatively affecting its cohesiveness. So social species have evolved the alpha who is a peace keeper.
In human systems where it is attempted to integrate racially and culturally heterogenous populations, law and order, ethical rules concerning murder, adultery, also prevent inter-group strife.

Infanticide is immoral in nature because it decreases a groups effectiveness, but infanticide is not immoral when it is against another group.
We see this in the ethical stance towards abortion within heterogenous systems, where the aborted foetus has no genetic relationship with most of the members of the social group.
Why?
Because if this practice is normalized the entire group will slowly decline, unable to sustain its human resources.
Ethics is applied morality [pure] which may involved establishment of rules as guidance.
Laws and Rules can come in the following forms;
1. Personal moral restraint and development
2. Group, organizational, and the like
3. Political, government,

I believe rules [laws] governing human conduct to avoid evil involving political laws and policing is too specialized [the legislation and judiciary system] that it can be dealt on its own, thus to be separated from ethics.

Ethics is most effective and pragmatic to be confined to personal [the individual] and non-political groups, e.g. medical ethics, financial and other social groups.

Also morality and ethics should be confined to humans only, while humans need to be humane to animals.
Infanticide is immoral in nature because in theory, the principle if applied universally and everyone can do it, then that will result in the extinction of the human species.
So, principle [theory] wise, infanticide is an absolute no, i.e. morally impermissible.
But ethics wise, exceptions [upon the greatest care and critical thinking in certain conditions] can be made with full mindfulness of the universal moral principle.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:25 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:58 pm
Okay, so God didn't create a predetermined universe, and you say nothing else could have done it, so we are left with what I suspected all along. God doesn't know what the future will be,...
That doesn't follow. "Know" and "make happen" or "predetermine" are different verbs.

And you could prove to yourself whether or not that was true, if you'd just try to form the syllogism for your argument. It can't be done.