Male vs female

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Post Reply
Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5621
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Male vs female

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:48 pm

From my study of French, certain objects are treated as male and others as female. For example la table is regarded as female. To me it's an unnecessary complication but it is interesting.

Your thoughts.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

duszek
Posts: 2259
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:27 pm
Location: Thin Air

Re: Male vs female

Post by duszek » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:16 am

In English, boats are regarded as female.

Have you been with the marines ? They could explain perhaps.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5621
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Male vs female

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:27 am

duszek wrote: โ†‘
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:16 am
In English, boats are regarded as female.

Have you been with the marines? They could explain perhaps.
Does watching Star Trek count?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

duszek
Posts: 2259
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:27 pm
Location: Thin Air

Re: Male vs female

Post by duszek » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:03 am

Yes, sure.

So why are boats female in English ?

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5621
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Male vs female

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:04 pm

duszek wrote: โ†‘
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:03 am
Yes, sure.

So why are boats female in English ?
Under study.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5621
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Male vs female

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:06 pm

Here's a short tutorial (note the gender difference between a telephone and a television):

http://www.frenchtutorial.com/en/learn- ... /le_la_les

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5621
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Male vs female

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:21 pm

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘
Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:04 pm
duszek wrote: โ†‘
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:03 am
Yes, sure.

So why are boats female in English ?
Under study.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
It appears almost all sailors were male and to express their fondness for the ship, used the female gender (if someone has an alternate plausible explanation, go ahead and post).

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Walker
Posts: 6842
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Male vs female

Post by Walker » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:28 pm

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘
Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:04 pm
duszek wrote: โ†‘
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:03 am
Yes, sure.

So why are boats female in English ?
Under study.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Back when men were men, and sailed the high seas under the power of wind and currents, and a woman on board was bad luck, the ship was the refuge from a hostile world, like a mother is refuge for a boy.

Being female, the ship was jealous of other females on board who might distract the crew from tending to her. Best not to provoke the jealousy of the mother ship when at sea. She might throw a tantrum. Sometimes she wore a statue of a bare-breasted woman on her prow where the crew could not see and be distracted, in order to seduce the sea and win its favour for safe floating.

User avatar
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 4956
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Re: Male vs female

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:18 pm

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘
Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:48 pm
From my study of French, certain objects are treated as male and others as female. For example la table is regarded as female. To me it's an unnecessary complication but it is interesting.

Your thoughts.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
It is not just french, but the male/female dichotomy is observed in hermetic philosophy as well which stems from ancient egypt. The male can be observe as "active form" and the female as "passive no-form".

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest