The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Post by Walker »

Harbal wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:14 pm\
That's puzzling, because the floor in front of my door is concrete.
What the body hears, but what consciousness does not register, is not restricted to loose, wooden floorboards. That is just an example. It could be another sound, or as was mentioned, another sensory experience that doesn't register with consciousness until the body awakens you, and you smell smoke because in your carelessness, you started a fire before beddy bye.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:54 pm
When I say ‘I am’, I do not mean a separate entity with a body as its nucleus, I mean the totality of being, the ocean of consciousness.
Then you should say all is, rather than I am.

Have you done what that picture says, the one that you posted?
Walker

Post by Walker »

This has already been posted. It's a different perspective for God-haters to consider, from a more God-like perspective as in, the big picture. It also applies to the cease fire that Hamas ended on October 7, when it attacked Israel.

SNM: "Karma, or destiny, is an expression of a beneficial law: the universal trend towards balance, harmony and unity. At every moment, whatever happens now, is for the best. It may appear painful and ugly, a suffering bitter and meaningless, yet considering the past and the future it is for the best, as the only way out of a disastrous situation."
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:54 pm Consciousness is the individual awareness of your unique thoughts, memories, feelings, sensations, and environments. Essentially, your consciousness is your awareness of yourself.
This statement of yours shows that you do not understand. Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj explains that awareness is not consciousness, which is what the discussion is about at this point.

These are the points: Awareness precedes consciousness, does not require consciousness, and conscousness requires awareness.
Walker

Post by Walker »

(continued)

Question: How does one go beyond consciousness into awareness?

SNM: Since it is awareness that makes consciousness possible, there is awareness in every state of consciousness. Therefore, the very consciousness of being conscious is already a movement in awareness. Interest in your stream of consciousness takes you to awareness. It is not a new state. It is at once recognized as the original, basic existence, which is life itself, and also love and joy.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:47 pm
Harbal wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:14 pm
Walker wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:12 pm And then, you hear the creak again,
But it wouldn't be again if I weren't consciously aware of the first time.
And yet, the sound awakened you, and you didn't know why because you didn't consciously hear it.
Well now we know why I woke up, but I wonder what made the floor board creak. 🤔
Walker

Post by Walker »

Harbal wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:29 pm
Harbal wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:14 pm
But it wouldn't be again if I weren't consciously aware of the first time.
And yet, the sound awakened you, and you didn't know why because you didn't consciously hear it.
You said the floor was concrete. Now you say it's a creaking board.

Maybe you're just saying stuff for the sake of saying stuff, like a child that makes noise just to make noise.

Anyway, the point I made stands, and the point wasn't about building materials.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:37 pm
You said your floor was concrete. Now you say it's a creaking board.
No, you said the floor board creaked, and I took your word for it despite my better judgement.
Maybe you're just saying stuff for the sake of saying stuff, like a child that makes noise just to make noise.
Yes, I'm behaving childishly. 👶
Walker

Post by Walker »

(continued)

Question: How does one go beyond consciousness into awareness?

SNM: Since it is awareness that makes consciousness possible, there is awareness in every state of consciousness. Therefore, the very consciousness of being conscious is already a movement in awareness. Interest in your stream of consciousness takes you to awareness. It is not a new state. It is at once recognized as the original, basic existence, which is life itself, and also love and joy.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:37 pm

You said your floor was concrete. Now you say it's a creaking board.
No, you said the floor board creaked, and I took your word for it despite my better judgement.
Yes, I'm behaving childishly. 👶

Anyway, the point I made stands, and the point wasn't about building materials.
So what was the point, and who cares?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Harbal, you don't deserve serious answers, not after that childish display.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:03 pm

Have you done what that picture says, the one that you posted?
Have you been to the toilet yet, to do your big jobby 💩 You know that shit hole where you get to relieve your constipation, oops, I meant contemplation 🤔
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:16 am
Walker wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:37 pm Answer: you.

Have you done what the picture says?
Consciousness is all there is. So 'who' is to know or seek or do 'what'?
Consciousness is not all there is. Awareness precedes consciousness, as Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj has explained, and as I have amplfied with examples.

Therefore, your opinion is incorrect.

That's all. You should learn from this experience, rather than behave like a child who doesn't deserve serious answers. Bad girl. Bad.

You're dismissed.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:15 pm
Consciousness is not all there is. Awareness precedes consciousness, as Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj has explained, and as I have amplfied with examples.

Therefore, your opinion is incorrect.

When I say consciousness is all there is, it’s meant as all that is known.Which is correct.

Because the one that is awoken by sound must have known they were asleep to have known they have awakened from sleep.

But awareness never sleeps because if it did then it wouldn’t have been able to hear the sound and alert the one who is unaware of the sound that only awareness is aware of. Meaning consciousness has no knowledge of awareness’s existence since it can’t be conscious of wide awake awareness while it’s sleeping …so that’s why consciousness is all that is known.

Awareness preceding consciousness is known as a dualistic process that’s all. The two concepts are actually one unitary action or movement…because duality is an illusion.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:25 am Awareness preceding consciousness is known as a dualistic process that’s all. The two concepts are actually one unitary action or movement…because duality is an illusion.
This is not what Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj says.

To understand what he says, you must hear what he says. He says that awareness is required for consciousness, but consciousness is not required for awareness. And, this is true.

When something is required for something else to be, that something precedes the something else. In order for your body to be, your parents preceded you and that is a dualistic process, but that is not all, because you are not that body exclusively. You and your parents are not one unitary action.

Consciousness cannot be without awareness, and consciousness cannot be without form, whether or not the limited range of human perception can perceive the form.

I think the understanding of what he says, or anything else, is not possible unless one has realized what he says.
Last edited by Walker on Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.