Favourite movie scenes

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by Walker »

zoey wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:32 pm No Country for Old Men
This is the Root that I saw in the movie.

Chigurgh is Evil.
The sheriff is Good.
Moss is on the fence.

In the end …
Good and Evil live for another day.
All others, die.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

zoey wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:32 pm Gotta be the coin flipping scene from No Country for Old Men - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqMdQBo ... heTogoPogo
The intense and suspenseful nature, as well as its symbolic significance within the context of the film is why this is my favorite. Javier Bardem's calm yet menacing demeanor, the music that leaves the watcher as if suspended from thin air, simple yet effective camera work, and immaculate dialogues are simply magical.
That's a great movie. Probably my favorite of theirs, though I like many others very much.
attofishpi

Re: Favourite TV scene

Post by attofishpi »

Mr Robot - best rants re big corp etc..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e5ocdj61Lw
henry quirk wrote:..freedom!..
..come back to us Henry, I put the above link especially for you! 8)
Walker

Post by Walker »

Fer sure. Extra rations of loopty-loopy trolling require additional level-headed counter-balances.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Barton Fink, Detective Scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdsmSGWch2g

Fantastic dialogue. See any parallels with current events?
Walker

Re: Favourite TV scene

Post by Walker »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:02 pm Mr Robot - best rants re big corp etc..
Hey, we started watching this after seeing the link. Into the third episode now.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Walker wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:54 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:02 pm Mr Robot - best rants re big corp etc..
Hey, we started watching this after seeing the link. Into the third episode now.
If you've watched episode 9 (season 1), what did you think. I was a bit disappointed (both times of watching) to realise the state of his father.

I was hoping that Elliot was going to comprehend his father had hacked the mother of all systems (God) and thus could appear whenever to Elliot's dimension.

Unfortunately, it's bullshit like what Elliots mental condition of schizophrenia which apparently can allow him to totally see and talk to someone non existent that makes people think that is a nature of the condition -BULLSHIT. Hence, when I talk about a sage that introduced himself to me from the aether in 2005, I'm just another deluded crazy dude!!
Walker

Post by Walker »

Haven't progressed too far, I'll keep an eye out for that one.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Life would be different if someone had the authority to make you eat soap. Life would be Bizarro World if your personal mountain peak to conquer was eating liquid soap pods.

Soap | A Christmas Story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KjxFDGFKhk

- Great spoken narration, just for the audience and not the other characters.
Walker

Post by Walker »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:10 pm
If you've watched episode 9 (season 1), what did you think. I was a bit disappointed (both times of watching) to realise the state of his father.

I was hoping that Elliot was going to comprehend his father had hacked the mother of all systems (God) and thus could appear whenever to Elliot's dimension.

Unfortunately, it's bullshit like what Elliots mental condition of schizophrenia which apparently can allow him to totally see and talk to someone non existent that makes people think that is a nature of the condition -BULLSHIT. Hence, when I talk about a sage that introduced himself to me from the aether in 2005, I'm just another deluded crazy dude!!
Interesting. The father’s revelation in episode nine was not a surprise, but I didn’t think of the God angle, although it does apply. However, other than it being implied by Elliot’s God-like knowledge and accurate, intricate deductions, I don’t remember any explicit God foreshadowing in the earlier episodes, which is kind of a requirement for drama. It may be in there and I missed it. Discovering the other family member was a surprise, though.

What’s also notable is how Elliot’s God-like knowledge about everyone he knows and everyone he considers, and his powers of accurate deduction, make him intensely isolated from everyone, quite lonely. That's a seeming paradox. He carries it like a burden.

His knowledge and intelligence causes his facial expressions and hesitant searching for every word, as if words are either painful or live hand grenades. The actor communicates a lot of energy and inner turmoil with his silent facial expressions and halting, minimal speech.

Before his revelation, the father gave Elliot a purpose in life. After his revelation he gave him another purpose, to not let “them,” convince Elliot that he has lying eyes, and to not let them separate the father from Elliot. The father promises to always be with Elliot, just as he stayed with Elliot through his earlier self-medicating situation, in his moment of doubt and despair. After the father's revelation he grabs all of Elliot's drifting, fractured attention before they are interrupted, to tell Elliot that he will always be with him, if Elliot doesn’t let "them" separate father and son ... an implied God reference.

I never saw the movie ET, but I do know the kid was named Elliot. Any parallels?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Walker wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:56 am
attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:10 pm

Interesting. The father’s revelation in episode nine was not a surprise, but I didn’t think of the God angle, although it does apply. However, other than it being implied by Elliot’s God-like knowledge and accurate, intricate deductions, I don’t remember any explicit God foreshadowing in the earlier episodes, which is kind of a requirement for drama. It may be in there and I missed it. Discovering the other family member was a surprise, though.

What’s also notable is how Elliot’s God-like knowledge about everyone he knows and everyone he considers, and his powers of accurate deduction, make him intensely isolated from everyone, quite lonely. That's a seeming paradox. He carries it like a burden.

His knowledge and intelligence causes his facial expressions and hesitant searching for every word, as if words are either painful or live hand grenades. The actor communicates a lot of energy and inner turmoil with his silent facial expressions and halting, minimal speech.

Before his revelation, the father gave Elliot a purpose in life. After his revelation he gave him another purpose, to not let “them,” convince Elliot that he has lying eyes, and to not let them separate the father from Elliot. The father promises to always be with Elliot, just as he stayed with Elliot through his earlier self-medicating situation, in his moment of doubt and despair. After the father's revelation he grabs all of Elliot's drifting, fractured attention before they are interrupted, to tell Elliot that he will always be with him, if Elliot doesn’t let "them" separate father and son ... an implied God reference.

I never saw the movie ET, but I do know the kid was named Elliot. Any parallels?
In one of the episodes prior to ep9, Elliot explains the meaning of his name. But I forgot what he said so I just asked C-GPT, see below.

I want to say, I've got the film on pause at the dancing scene - the film "Leave the World Behind" - directed and screen written by Sam Esmail (creator of Mr Robot) - now on Netflix. Well, about 1 hr in I was thinking about pausing it to add it to this conversation, because OMG such a great build up (a world fucked by a major hack) - ...as I thought nah, I'll just keep watching my phone pinged me that you had posted in this very thread!! (Obviously I just kept watching ...but just some sychronicity at the time.

WATCH IT - bloody amazing.

ME:- In the TV series called Mr Robot, the main character explains the meaning of his name "Elliot", do you know the meaning of the name Elliot?

ChatGPT
Yes, in the TV series "Mr. Robot," the main character, Elliot Alderson, explains the meaning behind his name. He mentions that the name Elliot means "brave" and "true warrior." The etymology of the name Elliot is believed to have Scottish origins, and it is derived from the Old French name "Eliot," which itself comes from the medieval given name "Elie," a short form of the Old High German name "Elijah." The name Elijah, in turn, is often associated with meanings like "my God is Yahweh" or "Yahweh is God."
Walker

Post by Walker »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:44 am ME:- In the TV series called Mr Robot, the main character explains the meaning of his name "Elliot", do you know the meaning of the name Elliot?

ChatGPT
Yes, in the TV series "Mr. Robot," the main character, Elliot Alderson, explains the meaning behind his name. He mentions that the name Elliot means "brave" and "true warrior." The etymology of the name Elliot is believed to have Scottish origins, and it is derived from the Old French name "Eliot," which itself comes from the medieval given name "Elie," a short form of the Old High German name "Elijah." The name Elijah, in turn, is often associated with meanings like "my God is Yahweh" or "Yahweh is God."
Good Lord.

:shock:

I'm not involved with this techology, but I can see from that what's now required of humans ... accurate processing of causation with the fewest facts in order to find true meaning, since AI will require all facts to find any meaning, should it ever evolve to finding any meaning.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Walker wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:59 am
attofishpi wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:44 am ME:- In the TV series called Mr Robot, the main character explains the meaning of his name "Elliot", do you know the meaning of the name Elliot?

ChatGPT
Good Lord.

:shock:

I'm not involved with this techology, but I can see from that what's now required of humans ... accurate processing of causation with the fewest facts in order to find true meaning, since AI will require all facts to find any meaning, should it ever evolve to finding any meaning.
A.I is bloody amazing for everything. ChatGPT is far better than Bard IMO. I use it daily now, mostly for programming, but also for research.

I've been downloading WIKIPEDIA (the entire website) for the past couple of days, the file size isn't huge around 100GB, but the server I am pulling it from is very slow, the speed fluctuating all over the place - currently it flipping around another 80hrs still to download! - just thought it could be handy in an apocalypse. - and to train an AI locally.

"Leave the World Behind" - OMG!!! <--- Best movie I have seen in years.

If anyone has Netflix, watch it - if you know how to do torrent downloads, do it! The ending was sooo cooool!!!
Walker

Post by Walker »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:43 am
"Leave the World Behind" - OMG!!! <--- Best movie I have seen in years.

If anyone has Netflix, watch it - if you know how to do torrent downloads, do it! The ending was sooo cooool!!!
Sounds like that movie was quite emotionally moving.
Walker

Post by Walker »

At 1:11 in this clip, you can see one of the best fake smiles in Movie History.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-TemfMIxrk

Funny, it’s not as fake as the real thing.

Where to see the real thing? I think you know.

But just so there's no confusion, the real fake smile (hee hee) is the smile on Biden's face when he's showing how nice he is.