XMAS: boon or bane. SPROUTS. Love them or hate them. It not just choice.

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hobbes' Choice

Re: XMAS: boon or bane. SPROUTS. Love them or hate them. It not just choice.

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Arising_uk wrote:Vinegar is the solution.
Eh?
Aha, so much for the expert in teapots :roll:
Hint: stainless not.

Actually, I use my dishwasher...although some theories of tannin buildup suggest...
I did not think either of us had been talking about cleaning a pot.

Vinegar or lemon juice (better as leaves no unpleasant smell) will be good in areas of hard water where there is calcium build up.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:
Dahling Hobbsy - you do make me larf.
In the interests of science and to check my memory, I have performed the tea-making ceremony as befits a Tetley tea bag in that very same stainless steel pot. Bought as a temporary measure but I have to bow down to the great god of Asda, or Tesco, or Sainsbury. It's done good.
Now, you know as well as I do that seeing is believing. I saw nO drippings of any kind, so you are telling Almighty Big Fibs.
Re your preferred red traditional, I have no need to imagine - I have seen with my own een the dribbling spillage that tips out the spout.
I suggest dear HC, that you undertake research, research, research.
Seriously I find it hard to believe that you teapot looks like the one I posted and does not drip.

I bet you have to leave at least an inch free from the top of the pot lid.
Honest to God, I cannot believe that I just carried out another teapot experiment. Filling it to within an inch from the top with water, it DID NOT spleuter over. Reckon you have to develop the right kind of wrist/elbow action...

Re Arising - he was replying to my discomfort re the material. I actually wasn't bothered about the staining but isn't there something damaging about aluminium - and other metal-type cooking steel-thingies which potentially give you dementia...or summat...
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:
Dahling Hobbsy - you do make me larf.
In the interests of science and to check my memory, I have performed the tea-making ceremony as befits a Tetley tea bag in that very same stainless steel pot. Bought as a temporary measure but I have to bow down to the great god of Asda, or Tesco, or Sainsbury. It's done good.
Now, you know as well as I do that seeing is believing. I saw nO drippings of any kind, so you are telling Almighty Big Fibs.
Re your preferred red traditional, I have no need to imagine - I have seen with my own een the dribbling spillage that tips out the spout.
I suggest dear HC, that you undertake research, research, research.
Seriously I find it hard to believe that you teapot looks like the one I posted and does not drip.

I bet you have to leave at least an inch free from the top of the pot lid.
Honest to God, I cannot believe that I just carried out another teapot experiment. Filling it to within an inch from the top with water, it DID NOT spleuter over. Reckon you have to develop the right kind of wrist/elbow action...

Re Arising - he was replying to my discomfort re the material. I actually wasn't bothered about the staining but isn't there something damaging about aluminium - and other metal-type cooking steel-thingies which potentially give you dementia...or summat...
I seem to remember that the "Food Programme", got into trouble in the early 1980s for telling everyone to throw away all their aluminium. It turns out there is a tiny danger but nothing certain.
It is advised not to use strong acid or to scrape too hard if there is a danger you might consume the aluminium.
I would have thought that your teapot was one of the cursed Stainless steel jobbies.

https://www.globalfse.co.uk/teapot-12oz ... At3d8P8HAQ
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Dearest Hobbsy
RE: the topic of my teapot

Yes indeed it is similar to the point of identical in look and make to the original one you posted, all those years ago.
As to its metal properties, I rushed through to the kitchen, emptied out the cold water ( from previous experiment) to enable a deep inspection of its bottom. No identifying features but it is robust and shiny-ish. Probably will last longer than the Forth Road bridge and its temporary fixing.

Hmmm, was it as long ago as the 80's...it must have made a powerful impression on this fearful mind...

Lovely to talk. Must do it again soon.

Yours sincerely,
MB
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

MB. A stainless steel teapot that goes in the dishwasher!!! It's hard to believe such heresy could come from the lips of a Pom. Hobbes is correct on this matter. A ceramic teapot will rarely need cleaning beyond a rinse out with clean boiling water, although in hard water areas the soaking in lemon juice has been the approved method for centuries. However if all you're planning to do is dunk a teabag in it anyway I fail to see the need for a teapot at all.

Arising may have been referring to the sprouts when he spoke of vinegar. A dash of vinegar or lemon juice when you're cooking your sprouts takes away the slight bitterness and makes them a bit sweeter but the real secret is not to overcook them.

MB. Enjoy your Xmas dinner and try not to choke on Hobbesy's balls.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

marjoram_blues wrote: Really? In what measure...
A light sprinkle appears to do the job on sprouts or so my brother-in-law assures me and he is one of those who can taste the aforesaid chemical. Me I love 'em.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Obvious Leo wrote:MB. A stainless steel teapot that goes in the dishwasher!!! It's hard to believe such heresy could come from the lips of a Pom. Hobbes is correct on this matter. A ceramic teapot will rarely need cleaning beyond a rinse out with clean boiling water, although in hard water areas the soaking in lemon juice has been the approved method for centuries. However if all you're planning to do is dunk a teabag in it anyway I fail to see the need for a teapot at all.

Arising may have been referring to the sprouts when he spoke of vinegar. A dash of vinegar or lemon juice when you're cooking your sprouts takes away the slight bitterness and makes them a bit sweeter but the real secret is not to overcook them.

MB. Enjoy your Xmas dinner and try not to choke on Hobbesy's balls.
Yup, the teapot climbs into a teapot-shaped spot every time it cries out for a deep clean. One Pom or half a Pom-Pom ?
I have proven to my complete and utter satisfaction that Hobbes is definitely and utterly wrong on this most important matter.
I believe in the teapot. A teabag in a teapot is never just dunked in. How gross. That you fail to see the need for a teapot is your misfortune.
You are right about Arising - he is talking of a sprinkle - well, there are sprinkles and there are sprinkles...
I agree that an overcooked sprout is an abomination - a smelly mush. Thanks, I will enjoy my Xmas dinner and hope that you and yours enjoy your day. Have a great one. With or without a teapot.

Are you saying that HC is the devil :twisted: Don't worry I will masticate well.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Arising_uk wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote: Really? In what measure...
A light sprinkle appears to do the job on sprouts or so my brother-in-law assures me and he is one of those who can taste the aforesaid chemical. Me I love 'em.
Erm, see when you say 'on sprouts', do you mean during or after cooking ? I'll have a bag of sprouts and vinegar crisps, please !
Oops, did I just hear HC gag... :mrgreen:
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

After.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Arising_uk wrote:After.
Hmmmm. OK. So what if you don't like the taste of vinegar either...
Never mind, I know... then you have peas.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:It's that time of year again when hoards of Xmas diners insist on cooking and eating the Devil's Testicles.

For generations parents have been puzzled why their children refused to eat those disgusting little excuses for vegetables.

For myself I've never understood how anyone can let them come near the plate. As a kid I used to refuse the entire roast dinner because my Mum was in the habit of using the hot sprout water to make the gravy and so infect the entire dinner with that rancid cabbagey smell.

Most brassicas have that horrible taste and smell. When I was no more than five I got spotted trying to throw away a thick green cabbage leaf before I collected my school dessert. The eagle eyed teacher stopped me, and decided to make me eat it. I complained that cabbages made me gag. But regardless I was forced to eat the disgusting leaf with my custard and cornflake tart.

Now the puzzling mystery of why some love cabbage and sprouts and others do not.

Phenylthiocarbamide

It seems that some of us are capable os smelling and tasting Phenylthiocarbamide, whilst others are not. If you are capable then many brassicas have a revolting taint to them, making them unpalatable.
You can loose sensitivity to Phenylthiocarbamide with age. But at 55 I'm never going to eat those evil things. No the Devil's Balls can stay in the pot, and the vile liquid in which they are cooked will never be used to add to gravy in my home..

SO , how do others here feel about spouts
All this of course makes you a pussy! No surprise there!

I have always loved them. They are in fact cruciferous and as such extremely good for you. As with anything though overdoing it can cause problems in some people.

My taste buds actually tell me whether I'm deficient in vitamins, minerals, and other beneficial compounds. When the food is exceedingly good tasting, I really needed what it provides, while the opposite is true, when they have a somewhat annoying aftertaste I didn't really require what they offered. But then that's what anyone can do that's actually open minded, knowing the actual reasons for their food bias, often which was simply a toddler mimicking NO!
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:It's that time of year again when hoards of Xmas diners insist on cooking and eating the Devil's Testicles.

For generations parents have been puzzled why their children refused to eat those disgusting little excuses for vegetables.

For myself I've never understood how anyone can let them come near the plate. As a kid I used to refuse the entire roast dinner because my Mum was in the habit of using the hot sprout water to make the gravy and so infect the entire dinner with that rancid cabbagey smell.

Most brassicas have that horrible taste and smell. When I was no more than five I got spotted trying to throw away a thick green cabbage leaf before I collected my school dessert. The eagle eyed teacher stopped me, and decided to make me eat it. I complained that cabbages made me gag. But regardless I was forced to eat the disgusting leaf with my custard and cornflake tart.

Now the puzzling mystery of why some love cabbage and sprouts and others do not.

Phenylthiocarbamide

It seems that some of us are capable os smelling and tasting Phenylthiocarbamide, whilst others are not. If you are capable then many brassicas have a revolting taint to them, making them unpalatable.
You can loose sensitivity to Phenylthiocarbamide with age. But at 55 I'm never going to eat those evil things. No the Devil's Balls can stay in the pot, and the vile liquid in which they are cooked will never be used to add to gravy in my home..

I have always loved them. They are in fact cruciferous and as such extremely good for you. As with anything though overdoing it can cause problems in some people.

My taste buds actually tell me whether I'm deficient in vitamins, minerals, and other beneficial compounds. When the food is exceedingly good tasting, I really needed what it provides, while the opposite is true, when they have a somewhat annoying aftertaste I didn't really require what they offered. But then that's what anyone can do that's actually open minded, knowing the actual reasons for their food bias, often which was simply a toddler mimicking NO!
Interesting. Sometimes I have to be 'in the mood' for a certain food. And I think this can be related to bodily needs. Re food bias and rejection as an infant: I have an aversion to milk puddings ( rice and custard) - and yes, being made to eat something when you don't want to - that can put you off for life. Nothing 'pussy' about it. Tomorrow I will have trifle with NO custard. Thanks.
I've never drunk vodka since I was violently sick with it. My fault, I had a good few vodka and limes, then decided to switch to beer...or was it cider and babycham. A long, long time ago...
SpheresOfBalance

marjoram_blues wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:

Phenylthiocarbamide

Interesting. Sometimes I have to be 'in the mood' for a certain food. And I think this can be related to bodily needs. Re food bias and rejection as an infant: I have an aversion to milk puddings ( rice and custard) - and yes, being made to eat something when you don't want to - that can put you off for life. Nothing 'pussy' about it.
OK MB! Honestly! The word pussy as used here was not an affront towards women. It was something us American raised children used synonymously with cowardice, yellow belly, chicken, scared or frightened. That was said to other boys, to really get under their skin, you know, snails and puppy dog tails as opposed to sugar and spice. ;) I dug it out of my age old bag of tricks, not that a Brit or Aussie would necessarily know what it meant. Unless of course boys over there used to use it that way too? I would have no way of knowing.

Tomorrow I will have trifle with NO custard. Thanks.
I absolutely love Vanilla custard, :D I'll take yours! Please send it! It is Christmas after all. I'd send Trifle if I knew what it was. Just being silly of course.

I've never drunk vodka since I was violently sick with it. My fault, I had a good few vodka and limes, then decided to switch to beer...or was it cider and babycham. A long, long time ago...
Don't know what babycham is either. I've never been to the UK, but I have been to Australia, but only for a very short time. I did have an Australian style, (military) breakfast though. Unfortunately when I ate out in town it was at a Pizza Hut. :oops: I had plenty of Swan beer though, I believe it was called Emu. It was so much better than Fosters.

Have a fine dinner and a wonderful time! :)
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:

Phenylthiocarbamide

At least I'm not a dog. I don't eat things that taste like shit.

I have always loved them. They are in fact cruciferous and as such extremely good for you.
That's because you are deficient in Phenylthiocarbamide detection, and fail to register the harmful sulphur which some of us more evolved humans can detect.

My taste buds actually tell me whether I'm deficient in vitamins, minerals, and other beneficial compounds. When the food is exceedingly good tasting, I really needed what it provides,
The human body is only approximately capable of doing this, and can make serious mistakes. Sugar and fat detection overrides most other signals and that is why in a world of plenty, there is much obesity.
SpheresOfBalance

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:

Phenylthiocarbamide

At least I'm not a dog. I don't eat things that taste like shit.
Well I'm not frightened of a little veggie. I'm an intellectual eater, not some whiny little bitch! I eat things that are good for me despite my not preferring them. Here's a real FYI. My sisters are like you, they absolutely hate them. But last year, for thanksgiving they tried my recipe and remarked how good they were, that they tasted a lot like Broccoli which they both love. It was because I steamed them until just slightly firm added some hard boiled egg yolk, bread crumbs, some fresh snipped flat leaf Italian Parsley, a little butter, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. The real trick it seems, is to use fresh sprouts, not frozen, and to steam them until just al dente.

I have always loved them. They are in fact cruciferous and as such extremely good for you.
That's because you are deficient in Phenylthiocarbamide detection, and fail to register the harmful sulphur which some of us more evolved humans can detect.
Did you know that there are antibiotics based on sulfur? It's a fact jack!

My taste buds actually tell me whether I'm deficient in vitamins, minerals, and other beneficial compounds. When the food is exceedingly good tasting, I really needed what it provides,
The human body is only approximately capable of doing this, and can make serious mistakes. Sugar and fat detection overrides most other signals and that is why in a world of plenty, there is much obesity.
Wrong! My taste buds let me know that sugar is fucked, they didn't use to it's true, but they sure do now. I get this nasty aftertaste. As far as fat goes you're correct, but that's just the left overs from a time when food was scarce, and is all about storage or so say the scientists, and I concur, it just seems logical.