rick, can you get soros interviewed for philosophy now ?

Latest news of Philosophy Now

Moderators: AMod, iMod

jetsetjason

rick, can you get soros interviewed for philosophy now ?

Post by jetsetjason »

George Soros describes himself as a failed philosopher but I think he has interesting theories, which he tries to apply, to reality.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/49b1654a-ed60 ... fd2ac.html

Essentially, he understands that markets and society is chaotic, due to human passions and that , this is really really important, soros realises he can be wrong, and therefore, very quickly, he change course, on things.

Anyway,he has interesting ideas, and having him on the cover of PN should shift a few copies down canary wharf./the city :)
philofra

Re: rick, can you get soros interviewed for philosophy now ?

Post by philofra »

Most readers of PN wouldn't know what George Soros was talking about, or care.
jetsetjason

Post by jetsetjason »

wow, you just did an amazingly fast reader poll there, how did you do that ?

How come you KNOW, with certainty, what 'most readers' of the magazine want to see, please, tell me, how you KNOW things like this, so quickly, and without reference to any research !!!!
jetsetjason

Post by jetsetjason »

soros...

"
I call the passive relationship the “cognitive function” and the active relationship the “participating function,” and the interaction between the two functions I call “reflexivity.” Reflexivity is, in effect, a two-way feedback mechanism in which reality helps shape the participants’ thinking and the participants’ thinking helps shape reality in an unending process in which thinking and reality may come to approach each other but can never become identical. Knowledge implies a correspondence between statements and facts, thoughts and reality, which is not possible in this situation. The key element is the lack of correspondence, the inherent divergence, between the participants’ views and the actual state of affairs. It is this divergence, which I have called the “participant’s bias,” which provides the clue to understanding the course of events. That, in very general terms, is the gist of my theory of reflexivity.

The theory has far-reaching implications. It draws a sharp distinction between natural science and social science, and it introduces an element of indeterminacy into social events which is missing in the events studied by natural science. It interprets social events as a never-ending historical process and not as an equilibrium situation. The process cannot be explained and predicted with the help of universally valid laws, in the manner of natural science, because of the element of indeterminacy introduced by the participants’ bias. The implications are so far-reaching that I can’t even begin to enumerate them. They range from the inherent instability of financial markets to the concept of an open society which is based on the recognition that nobody has access to the ultimate truth. The theory gives rise to a new morality as well as a new epistemology. As you probably know, I am the founder—and the funder—of the Open Society Foundation. That is why I feel justified in claiming that the theory of reflexivity has guided me both in making and in spending money.

But is it possible to come up with a valid new theory about the relationship between thinking and reality? It seems highly unlikely. The subject has been so thoroughly explored that probably everything that can be said has been said. In my defense, I did not produce the theory in a vacuum. The logical indeterminacy of self-referring statements was first discussed by Epimenides, the Cretan philosopher, who said, “Cretans always lie,” and the paradox of the liar was the basis of Bertrand Russell's theory of classes. But I am claiming more than a logical indeterminacy. Reflexivity is a two-way feedback mechanism, which is responsible for a causal indeterminacy as well as a logical one. The causal indeterminacy resembles Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle, but there is a major difference: Heisenberg’s theory deals with observations, whereas reflexivity deals with the role of thinking in generating observable phenomena.

I am thrilled by the possibility that I may have reached a profound new insight, but I am also scared because such claims are usually made by insane people and there are many more insane people in the world than there are people who have reached a profound new insight. I wonder whether my insight has an objective validity or only a subjective significance. "

http://www.geocities.com/ecocorner/intelarea/gs1.html

I think the source, of instability, is the individual quest for peak experience....

It does appear, that colin wilson, is, ahead of the game, in many ways. :D
philofra

Post by philofra »

Well, I read Soros' theory and I thought it was difficult to understand, like something Jacque Derrida would write. It sounds so vague, this stuff about reflexivity and equilibrium.

However, the theory that Soros has helped him make a lot of money, by betting again how the masses react in their investing, especially when it comes to the herd mentality. One thing that got Wall Street into the financial mess we are in today is that its practitioners thought they had taken the risk out of investing. Wall Street's investment bankers thought they had insulated the financial markets , with the fancy derivatives they invented, against financial contagions. They thought they could beat the system. As we know, though, no one beats the system. I think this is what Soros is on about with his theory, that we should behave accordingly and rely more on common sense in our decisions.

I think if Soros talked more about open society, an idea he got form his mentor Karl Popper, and relate it to his theory, then what he says would sound more interesting.
jetsetjason

Post by jetsetjason »

Perhaps, via a series of articles in philosophy now magazine !
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Hi Jason

Not a bad idea - I'll look into it. We're going to try to do something on economics etc this year, for obvious reasons, and Soros' connection with Karl Popper is interesting too.
jetsetjason

Post by jetsetjason »

I am more interested in general application of his ideas, but, I think he would love to be in the mag, he considers himself a failed philosopher where I think he is more correctly a 'neglected' philosopher.
philofra

Post by philofra »

Soros is a philosopher in action and of deeds, not just of words. He is an activist. He has put his philosophy into practice through his money, investing and speculating. I think he knows that economics and money's free flow, above all, changes and advances the world. In that respect he is not a failed philosopher.

He is a philosopher of action, a pragmatist.
leok

Post by leok »

philofra wrote:Most readers of PN wouldn't know what George Soros was talking about, or care.
I am very interested in what he has to say. Isn't Philosophy about discussing ideas .. even the ones we do not agree with?

Leo