Do you think that torturing a baby is ever justified?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Have you seen this rather well done movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx7irFN2gdI

They end asking about a God who tortures babies as God did to King David’s baby.
God also killed many innocent babies in his great flood as well as the innocent first born of Egypt.

http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.ca/ ... -baby.html

Regards
DL
Skip

Re: Do you think that torturing a baby is ever justified?

Post by Skip »

No, but the Aztecs did. Justification is all in one's choice of gods.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Skip wrote:No, but the Aztecs did. Justification is all in one's choice of gods.
Are you saying that Christians choose their God partly because he tortures and kills babies?

Regards
DL
Skip

Post by Skip »

Not specifically. The OT Hebrews had a thing for animal sacrifice and penile mutilation. They gave up human sacrifice with Cain and Abel - that's why Abraham got to keep his boy - but were not too civilized to kill off the children of their enemies, or of anyone their god disapproved, en masse, should the narrative require. Christianity started with that very same narrative: Herod killing off all the boy babies in Bethlehem, to prevent a prophesied king. There was almost certainly no such massacre, but the tradition is served. The story ends with the sacrifice of a man-god, harking back to Egypt and Minos. Blood-thirsty gods require periodic slaking. Hence the succession of Christian martyrs and heretics.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

People who have their babies circumcised obviously think torturing babies is justified.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Skip wrote:Not specifically. The OT Hebrews had a thing for animal sacrifice and penile mutilation. They gave up human sacrifice with Cain and Abel - that's why Abraham got to keep his boy - but were not too civilized to kill off the children of their enemies, or of anyone their god disapproved, en masse, should the narrative require. Christianity started with that very same narrative: Herod killing off all the boy babies in Bethlehem, to prevent a prophesied king. There was almost certainly no such massacre, but the tradition is served. The story ends with the sacrifice of a man-god, harking back to Egypt and Minos. Blood-thirsty gods require periodic slaking. Hence the succession of Christian martyrs and heretics.
Understood. Thanks.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:People who have their babies circumcised obviously think torturing babies is justified.
I had my first son circumcised and do not think babies should be tortured.

I was young and following culture and fashion but when seeing the non-painful procedure produce pain, I swore never to inflict that on my next children.

Regards
DL
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Greatest I am wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:People who have their babies circumcised obviously think torturing babies is justified.
I had my first son circumcised and do not think babies should be tortured.

I was young and following culture and fashion but when seeing the non-painful procedure produce pain, I swore never to inflict that on my next children.

Regards
DL
You've created the setting for pain already. Accept your complicity, and don't swear. Because your next child will also experience pain, and your just going to break your word in bringing it forth to experience pain.

Whilst I'm here, what the fuck is the difference between torturing a child or an adult? You're still torturing a conscious being, an adult being more so, if nothing else. Do you want to set an age of majority for those being tortured? How about 18. Is that a reasonable cut off?

Anyways, this malignantly useless species has justified torture of children in the past. And will continue to do so. What a bunch of lovely turds humans are.

Btw, babies are barely conscious. And their conscious fear is less than an adult's. So it's worse to torture a human who can ponder his fate during torture.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

^^
My wife and I are too old for kids. Grandkids only please.

As to torture and age, I am not interested in such a debate but torture is usually for information. Babies have none to give.

I would prefer to stick to the context of the O.P. but will agree that we all hurt our children one way or another whether it is with intent or not.

Regards
DL
Skip

Post by Skip »

I think, as regards torturing adults and babies, the assumption is that an adult might have done something, or made some deliberate choice wherein he was aware of a risk, while a baby cannot possibly guilty of anything or choose its fate. It's a thin straw, but it might float.
Of course, the logic dictates that a twelve-year-old is less wrong to hurt than a six-year-old, which is less wrong to hurt than a one-year-old, even though the older children probably aren't guilty of very much and suffer more psychological pain. They're all getting tossed off the tower right after, so there is no lasting harm.

On the other side, gods are presumed to be fondest of the sacrifice most prized by the donor, which is likely to be a nubile virgin or young warrior, but they also like fresh, tender, milk-fed meat.
(No rain. Keep trying.)
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Greatest I am wrote:Do you think that torturing a baby is ever justified?

They end asking about a God who tortures babies as God did to King David’s baby.
God also killed many innocent babies in his great flood as well as the innocent first born of Egypt.

Regards
DL
Yes of course it is justified, as you have demonstrated. I think you really meant to ask "could it ever be justifiable?". To which I would answer never.
But i've seen that tv program, and support the atheist position.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:[
quote="Greatest I am"]Do you think that torturing a baby is ever justified?

Regards
DL
Yes of course it is justified, as you have demonstrated.

??
Where exactly did I do that for the scenario in the O.P.?
I think you really meant to ask "could it ever be justifiable?". To which I would answer never.
[/quote]

What atheist position? Those Jews took no such position.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Skip wrote:I think, as regards torturing adults and babies, the assumption is that an adult might have done something, or made some deliberate choice wherein he was aware of a risk, while a baby cannot possibly guilty of anything
Thanks for this.

Regards
DL
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Greatest I am wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:[
quote="Greatest I am"]Do you think that torturing a baby is ever justified?

Regards
DL
Yes of course it is justified, as you have demonstrated.

??
Where exactly did I do that for the scenario in the O.P.?
I think you really meant to ask "could it ever be justifiable?". To which I would answer never.
What atheist position? Those Jews took no such position.

Regards
DL[/quote]

Please acknowledge the DIFFERENCE between 'justified' and "justifiable".
Any moron can justify any amount of evil; that does not make it justifiable.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Is torturing a baby ever justified? It must be since circumcision is done routinely.