Is the love of God really Stockholm syndrome?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Is the love of God really Stockholm syndrome?

Post by Dalek Prime »

Based on our unequal relationship with God, and our inability to escape him, is the love of God really not a case of Stockholm syndrome? Or in the case of a complete faith, Oslo syndrome? And is God's love really not a case of Lima syndrome?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

Yes, I'm half joking. But is there not some truth to this?
HexHammer

Re: Is the love of God really Stockholm syndrome?

Post by HexHammer »

Dalek Prime

You are actually absolutely right, if people actually had an ounce of critical sense, they would see this whimsical god that rages against humans and punishes them left and right. Heavily contradicting this "hippie" image that modern teologists preaches to the ignorant masses.

Humans are from natures side equipped with a feature that "blinds" them, even when overwhelming evidence contradicts common sense, they will parrot and believe in what they're told.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYIh4MkcfJA

This is exactly why I accuse people of being hapless retards, because they will believe in Kant, Nietz' etc, and have ZERO critical sense about what they read, and thusly will parrot completely retarded shit.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

HH, I used to heavily favour Camus, until I realised all he really offered was brain dead acceptance of existence. Now I can't stand hearing about him, because all I see is his failure. He was a useful teacher on my path, but stopped being useful when I decided to walk into the brush, if you get my drift.

And yes, I began seeing blind resistance as soon as I started arguing for antinatalism, natalism being the unquestioned universal default.
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Fri May 22, 2015 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skip

Post by Skip »

I don't think there is any love of God. Nobody loves God. Nobody loves the stern father with the belt, either, but they kiss his hand after a beating, because it's what he demands. They agree that they deserved it and it was for their own good and they beg forgiveness. They lie to avoid further punishment. I don't blame them, but neither do I choose to join them.

Actually, it's interesting to note that this god was so unpopular, he needed a more sympathetic front-man (who got punished - natch!) and matronly woman, and a bevy of of interceding saints and an army of angels, between himself and his adoring public.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Exactly Skip. Stockholm syndrome is rationalizing fear into love, in order to mentally survive an ordeal with the captor, that's otherwise inescapable.
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Thu May 21, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skip

Post by Skip »

But you get to retain your sanity as long as you don't believe your own lies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYa6gbDcx18
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Double post.
ReliStuPhD

Post by ReliStuPhD »

Dalek Prime wrote:Based on our unequal relationship with God, and our inability to escape him, is the love of God really not a case of Stockholm syndrome? Or in the case of a complete faith, Oslo syndrome? And is God's love really not a case of Lima syndrome?

Personally, I say no, but that's one hell of an interesting theory. Nicely done. :)
Skip

Post by Skip »

It's the old Abrahamic feedback loop. God empowers, emboldens and ennobles the same kind of guys who created him in their own image. Everybody else is raodkill.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

ReliStuPhD wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Based on our unequal relationship with God, and our inability to escape him, is the love of God really not a case of Stockholm syndrome? Or in the case of a complete faith, Oslo syndrome? And is God's love really not a case of Lima syndrome?

Personally, I say no, but that's one hell of an interesting theory. Nicely done. :)
Hehe! Thanks RS. :)
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I'm having a lot of double posts lately... :(
ReliStuPhD

Post by ReliStuPhD »

Dalek Prime wrote:I'm having a lot of double posts lately... :(
I keep confusing the "quote" button with the "edit" button. That's the cause of mine :?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Ah, I see what you mean RS. Yep, that's definitely my issue as well. :idea:
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Skip wrote:I don't think there is any love of God. Nobody loves God. Nobody loves the stern father with the belt, either, but they kiss his hand after a beating, because it's what he demands. They agree that they deserved it and it was for their own good and they beg forgiveness. They lie to avoid further punishment. I don't blame them, but neither do I choose to join them.

Actually, it's interesting to note that this god was so unpopular, he needed a more sympathetic front-man (who got punished - natch!) and matronly woman, and a bevy of of interceding saints and an army of angels, between himself and his adoring public.
Skip plz shush ..because you are dead wrong.

If you actually knew just a tiny bit about what you were saying, you would know that police are often troubled by idiots women who are beaten in all the colors of the rainbow, then goes to the policestation and whine, then the police go arrest the bastard and then suddenly the woman has a change of heart and verbally abuse the policement and ofc withdraw her accusation.

What you describe isn't anywhere the "Stockholm Syndrom", but merely an act of Milgram Obedient Experiment, where an authority figure will force ppl to do things ..WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH STOCKHOLM SYNDROM!!!!
Skip

Post by Skip »

That would make love of god not Stockholm Syndrome but a sham. Indeed.

In Stockholm Syndrome - as in parental or spousal abuse - there is an actual, present, real live captor and/or tormentor for the victim to fear, admire, obey, identify with and eventually become emotionally dependent upon.

In Christianity, there is .... ??? A story. But that story is told by the most powerful members of our own societies - who don't believe a word of it, but use it as both carrot and stick to get their own way.