Philosophers in films

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Richard Baron

Philosophers in films

Post by Richard Baron »

Not books, but near enough.

Which are the best philosopher scenes in films? I know that the choice is limited.

Here is my favourite, from Godard's Vivre sa vie, with Brice Parain as himself and Anna Karina as Nana.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIwM9u-h ... re=related
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

The whole Matrix series is an examination of Descartes and Putnams arguments :)
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Wow, this is great! I would never have known anything like this existed if it weren't for all you slightly eccentric philosophers on this site. Thanks to everyone for sharing their personal favs!

This scene reminds me of one holiday my husband and I had to kill time before an engagement so we went into the local bookstore and I headed over to the magazine rack to see if there was a new issue of philosophy now. As luck would have it, there was! So I picked it up and started reading the front cover. A man came up to me and said, "Oh, Philosophy huh? What do we have, an intellectual here?"

Now, rarely do I get the chance to be seen as an intellectual, so I went with it! Now mind you...I couldn't even pronounce half the words on the front cover so decided to have a little fun and faked it with gibberish. Just to see what he would do. I began very aloof, as I imagine intellectual types to be, "Yes, Socrates was a saucy braggart but Plato was known for his impetuous enthusiasm and ravenous appetite. Few knew that bat intestines were a regular part of his diet."

I looked up at the man and very seriously waited for a response.

The man , also very serious, considered what I had to say for a moment and the replied. "I am impressed by your vast knowledge of philosophy. I am familiar with the various ways bat was prepared by the great philosophers or our time although I must admit. unlike Plato I am more of a bat breast man."

And so we went on and on, our conversation growing more and more insane. Even to the point we made up words! It was one of the most creative experiences of my life. Complete understanding without putting 2 words together that were of any importance to either of us.

A few minutes later we were interrupted by my husband who reminded me of the time. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed I had to leave. It's not often you get to talk gibberish with a complete and total stranger and connect on a deeper level! Most people want words to mean something. Sometimes it's nice to feel the "movement of life."
Richard Baron

Post by Richard Baron »

Arising_uk wrote:The whole Matrix series is an examination of Descartes and Putnams arguments :)
David Cronenberg's eXistenZ gives you vats within vats.

There are dreams within dreams in Luis Buñuel's Le charme discret de la bourgeoisie, forming an onion that you peel from the inside outwards.
Lusia Mousky

Post by Lusia Mousky »

I wonder, artisticsolution, if your interesting experience was a philosophical one, or rather a communicative or a linguistic one.

The two do not exclude each other, of course.

We have no section "philosophy of communication" here.
Would it fit into "philosophy of mind" ? I will ask Barbara ...
Rortabend

Post by Rortabend »

A couple of interesting films that feature actual philosophers (rather than just philosophical themes):

http://www.zizekthemovie.com/

http://www.zeitgeistfilms.com/examinedlife/
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Thanks for the tip-off on those two films, rort. I'll hunt 'em down and eat 'em. But I hope you didn't mean to imply that Richard's OP was not about a film appearance by an actual philosopher.
Last edited by mickthinks on Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lusia Mousky

Post by Lusia Mousky »

And then Mick will give us a so-called "digest" ..., won´t you Mick ?

:lol:
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

ha ha, very drole ;)
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Richard Baron wrote:David Cronenberg's eXistenZ gives you vats within vats.
:)
Rortabend

Post by Rortabend »

But I hope you didn't mean to imply that Richard's OP was not about a film appearance by an actual philosopher.
No. I was referring to the other suggestions. There's nothing wrong with them I just thought Richard was referring to philosophers in film rather than just philosophy.
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

hi Richard, earlier today i was engrossed in your video and then it disconnected. I forgot to pay my phone bill this month :lol: :lol:

I loved the video so i had to fly to their office and pay it off so i could watch the rest :D :lol:
RachelAnn

Post by RachelAnn »

Jimmy Stewart as the philosophy professor in Hitchcock's ROPE

Laura Fraser as a philosophy student in Left Luggage

Bud Cort's character also studies philosophy (I think?) in Harold and Maude

And do not forget that profound, thought-provoking, life-changing cinematic classic called Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Wow Rachel Ann, such a huge list of movies I have never seen. Which one should I watch first or does it matter?
Aesthetic_Fish

Post by Aesthetic_Fish »

Richard Linklater's Waking Life is worth a watch...or two!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243017/