Sometimes a carrot is just a carrot

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

artisticsolution

Sometimes a carrot is just a carrot

Post by artisticsolution »

Here is a painting I completed today. I had to laugh at the balloon carrot...I don't usually have a plan regarding what I paint...I just go into a zone and just let what's going to happen...well...happen. So this is my 'Freudian Slip' painting...lol. It cracks me up, and I like it very much...which is rare. I was going to title it 'dangling the carrot', but maybe I should give it more thought and come up with something more clever...lol.

Any ideas? :)
Attachments
horse1.jpg
horse1.jpg (19.17 KiB) Viewed 4759 times
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Sometimes a carrot is just a carrot

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Surreal.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

name it "carving initials" (one tree has already made the frame)

-Imp
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

I'd like to see more of your paintings.
artisticsolution

Thanks for the suggestions. I like them all. Not sure if that's a title or not Tom...lol. I will pm you my Web site...it has a few more paintings...but I hate my generic sounding bio...I am just not good at writing about myself. Yuk.
uwot

Post by uwot »

It's lovely. If I had the skill to produce such a piece, I'd call it In the bushes. The fact that I can be so crass probably explains why I don't have that skill.
artisticsolution

Thanks Uwot. It's funny you should mention the 'bushes'. The thing I like best is the juxtaposition of the carrot vs. the big 'V' shape of the trees. Very 'train and tunnel' if you ask me! lol

There are so many Freudian slips in this painting, and I find it funny because I am not a Freudian follower and yet I painted myself into this particular inkblot. lol

Also, I like the string that attaches the carrot to the pelvis screams transgender to me...something I have come to have great compassion for in my life...which previously I had been oblivious to.

And of course I like the element of things revealed after the completion of the painting. It's just very aesthetically entertaining ...if that makes sense.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Fraudulent Slip?

Carrot and schtick?

:lol: Is that a vulva on the second tree!?
Harish

Post by Harish »

@artisticsolution Whatever you call as freudian slip - Can we say it as automatism? Some objects in the painter's unconscious manifested in the painting.
artisticsolution

:lol: Arising...you just get me!
uwot

Post by uwot »

artisticsolution wrote:And of course I like the element of things revealed after the completion of the painting.
This, to me, is a wonderful insight. I've always been wary (dismissive to be honest) of surrealism. Apart from the usual suspects, an uncle of mine was influenced by Dali et al. I particularly remember a painting called Autoloze Zondag; it means Carfree Sunday. Basically, it was a riff on the attempt by the Dutch government to save fuel by banning cars on Sunday during the oil crisis of the early 70's. The subject was his naked daughter, barely a teenager at the time, astride a giant wasp, flying over the deserted motorway. It seemed terribly contrived and not a little weird, but it was executed brilliantly. It has never occurred to me that anyone could paint with such precision, without a great deal of forethought. I cannot tell you how impressed I am.
artisticsolution wrote:It's just very aesthetically entertaining ...if that makes sense.
It makes very beautiful sense.
artisticsolution

Thanks for the kind words and story. I have always liked surrealism but the impressionists were my first love. But now, what I really love is this new crop of artists who are from the low brow or pop surrealism movement ( a new term for surrealism?) Actually, some of their work is amazing... Craola, Mark Ryden, Lori Early are among my favs.

P.S. Do you have a pic of your uncle's painting to share?
Attachments
lori early.jpg
lori early.jpg (8.79 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
mark-ryden-art-girl-lowbrow-Favim.com-574033.jpg
mark-ryden-art-girl-lowbrow-Favim.com-574033.jpg (20.92 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
GregCrayolaSimkins-thepuppetpathos.jpg
GregCrayolaSimkins-thepuppetpathos.jpg (15.39 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
uwot

Post by uwot »

artisticsolution wrote:Thanks for the kind words and story. I have always liked surrealism but the impressionists were my first love. But now, what I really love is this new crop of artists who are from the low brow or pop surrealism movement ( a new term for surrealism?) Actually, some of their work is amazing... Craola, Mark Ryden, Lori Early are among my favs.
I'd never heard of them, so I've just been looking at the Mark Ryden homepage, getting a better sense of what he's about. I didn't think I would, but I like what he does. Thank you. I shall look at the others you mention, but right now it's party time. If I recover in time, it's party time tomorrow too. Don't expect anything sensible for some time.
artisticsolution wrote:P.S. Do you have a pic of your uncle's painting to share?
I don't, but I shall ask the subject when I next see her. My cousin, obviously. Not the giant wasp.
artisticsolution

Harish wrote:@artisticsolution Whatever you call as freudian slip - Can we say it as automatism? Some objects in the painter's unconscious manifested in the painting.
Hi Harish,

I totally missed your post. I was reading from my phone and I must have scrolled by it.

Do you mean subconscious when you say unconscious? I am not convinced that there is a subconscious, at least not the way Freud or his followers over thought the issue. That is why this painting is so funny to me. I think it's only after the fact (when I have completed a painting) that I take a look at it and can read all sorts of things in it since I have been "trained" to see them by a lifetime of conditioning. What I am saying is that I doubt there is anything supernatural, spiritual, or psychic about 'zoning out'. Just as I take no serious stock in dream interpretation...to me it's just a thing we humans do for shits and giggles. It just serves to entertain.

I have a no nonsense approach to the world, I question the things I have been taught, for example, I am not so sure there is 'evil' in the world. I believe 'evil' is a term we invented to label something that we don't like. I am more apt to believe that the people we see as evil are merely abnormal in their brain functions when compared to the masses. At least it seems more plausible than there are actually demons and devils walking around taking over the minds of people in order to do their bidding.

That being said, I do not think I paint anything from my subconscious and I know I don't paint anything from being unconscious. As for automatism, I think we all have a tendency to zone out...but I don't read anything into it....well...okay sometimes...but only when I want to have fun. :D
artisticsolution

uwot wrote:
artisticsolution wrote:Thanks for the kind words and story. I have always liked surrealism but the impressionists were my first love. But now, what I really love is this new crop of artists who are from the low brow or pop surrealism movement ( a new term for surrealism?) Actually, some of their work is amazing... Craola, Mark Ryden, Lori Early are among my favs.
I'd never heard of them, so I've just been looking at the Mark Ryden homepage, getting a better sense of what he's about. I didn't think I would, but I like what he does. Thank you. I shall look at the others you mention, but right now it's party time. If I recover in time, it's party time tomorrow too. Don't expect anything sensible for some time.
artisticsolution wrote:P.S. Do you have a pic of your uncle's painting to share?
I don't, but I shall ask the subject when I next see her. My cousin, obviously. Not the giant wasp.
LOL...Okay, good and thanks. Have fun this weekend!