India and women

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

duszek

India and women

Post by duszek »

I read in the newspaper the other day that some important politician in India said that a rape was a social act between a man and a woman and that it was sometimes right and sometimes wrong.

Is there some justification for rape of women in the Hindu religion ?
To correct her if she is not submissive enough towards men and therefore possessed by an evil demon ?

Before critisizing a point of view one needs to understand thoroughly how it is argumetally constructed.

Some people here sound Indian to me, or Pakistanian. Perhaps they could help and explain.

Honesty would be appreciated.
duszek

Re: India and women

Post by duszek »

In the novel "A Passage to India" a woman has a hallucination that an Indian doctor rapes her or intends to rape her in a cave.

Things were not better in E.M. Foster´s times than in ours. So in a country in which women can be raped any time, just like this, business as usual, having a hallucination about it seems a very normal thing to have. Especially in hot weather.

Why do Westerners rush to India to make an ashram and start a better life is a puzzle to me. You can get a decent yoga teacher in your own country. Mine was a German, he was excellent.

Is Islam a solution for women who want to escape the Hindu cruelty to them ?
Now Islam starts to make sense to me for the first time.
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

duszek wrote:I read in the newspaper the other day that some important politician in India said that a rape was a social act between a man and a woman and that it was sometimes right and sometimes wrong.
India is a big country, they can be excused at least one total idiot in politics.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Oh right, just convert to islam, because it treats women so well :lol: How about just converting AWAY from superstitious bullshit altogether. Now there's a 'radical' idea.