Humor

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Should PN have a "philosophy of Humor" forum?

NO, there's nothing funny about philosophers.
33%
YES, Philosophers can be quite silly.
67%

Total votes: 6

thedoc

Humor

Post by thedoc »

Should there be a "Philosophy of Humor" forum on this site. It would not be a place for telling jokes but for discussing what makes something funny or not. If nothing else the moderators could stick all the silly nonsense that doesn't fit anywhere else.
James Markham

Re: Humor

Post by James Markham »

I'm not sure it would need a whole section, but a thread on humor's not a bad idea. I oersonaly don't think clowns are funny, but I like many others, am amused by people getting mildly hurt, which is a bit strange. It has to be a bloodless affair, without any loss of consciousness, but as long as I'm quickly assured its nothing more than an oweeee, then I'm laughing.
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

g'day doc. its prill from that other forum..banned for talking.

humour is huge part of philosophy. to even have to ask shows how much we have fallen into bureaucracy and humorless insanity.
YES INSANITY life without laughter is step one to padded room.
all serious businessmen are halfway there.
we sell death insurance on public tv
and slapstic comedy and call it humor
30 of 40 tv channels are sport or home cleanliness "the game of fools"
[a short rant]
-------------------------

what is funny is vot and bill showed up all new and ready.
i take it the other forum folded lol.. no loss. it was inevitable given h LOW average iq of mods there.

so phil now. if any mods have issues.. bring them on. I adhere to forum rules.
Th rules laid out in constitution of US.
i CAN argue with mods on A topic. for to give right to ban by emotion is illegal

yes or no?

Code: Select all

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
[/b]
Last edited by Hjarloprillar on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

Doc humor is funny [haha]
i love ironic humor. thus even grim stuff like terminator is amusing as we built the damn things to help us relax.

carefull where you step, you may fall in a 'person hole'

from australia. the massive influx of us citizens from west coast to oz
gun deaths in Sydney up by 300%. us 'civilization' spreads.
coke and movies an kfc/maccas and now glock 9mm.

For the 3 US cvgn nuclear carrier groups that ensure oz of freedom and will continue to do so
for being trustworthy little brother.we died at long tan vietnam. In action that equaled the prowess of Hal Moore at Ia drang And became the most valuable state in the union. 3 million square miles.
the size of US

wrong planet.com
Last edited by Hjarloprillar on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

the catholic joke.

doh my daughter says over shoulder. no dad thats going to p*ss off the catholics.

but she has to sleep sometime...hehee
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

thedoc wrote:Should there be a "Philosophy of Humor" forum on this site. It would not be a place for telling jokes but for discussing what makes something funny or not. If nothing else the moderators could stick all the silly nonsense that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Good question as to where certain subjects might 'fit'.
Perhaps the 'Aesthetics' forum would incorporate: philosophy of art, music and humour.
Of course, this would not necessarily exclude a 'joke' or two. All Our Wittinesses Welcome.
However, lists of jokes, youtube links to music etc - perhaps would be better enjoyed in the Lounge :?:

[ using the :?: icon cos my keyboard is playing up ]
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

easy

humour goes with topic,
humour of war goes in war humour
humour of stupid goes in posts where stupid says humour has no source.
------------------------------------------------
like. "quote"
"Of course, this would not necessarily exclude a 'joke' or two"
oh a good joke eh what>
-----------------------------------------------
marjoramblues post.......oh did i say that? im terribly not so sorry
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

I wonder . in private chambers did Victoria, queen of the known earth. laugh as to put philosophy/humor in category: silly?
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

Hjarloprillar wrote:easy

humour goes with topic,
humour of war goes in war humour
humour of stupid goes in posts where stupid says humour has no source.
------------------------------------------------
like. "quote"
"Of course, this would not necessarily exclude a 'joke' or two"
oh a good joke eh what>
-----------------------------------------------
marjoramblues post.......oh did i say that? im terribly not so sorry
uwot :?: :?
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

marjoramblues

here is a good joke. when bombing germany pilots had maps withe red circles. 'do not bomb here'
for inside were factories owned by US.
get it?
or are you still the one...............

who can insert a lump of coal; and get a diamond............... my daughter iiiiiiii me in, doh
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

Hjarloprillar wrote:marjoramblues

here is a good joke. when bombing germany pilots had maps withe red circles. 'do not bomb here'
for inside were factories owned by US.
get it?
or are you still the one...............

who can insert a lump of coal; and get a diamond............... my daughter iiiiiiii me in, doh
quite possibly
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Hjarloprillar wrote: g'day doc. its prill from that other forum..banned for talking.

Hello Priller, good to see your posts again.

People like us tend to piss off all the sober sensible people.

A lot of humor is based on misdirection, you say something that everyone takes one way, (usually the one with a naughty context) and then turn it around to something completely innocent. An actual story from my own life.

Before we were married My wife and I were getting ready to go to her fathers for a family get-together and she was looking for something casual to wear. So I handed her a pair of my jeans, she tried them and the fit so she wore them. When we got to her fathers house there was a good crowd and they were all in the kitchen. We walked in and my wife said to her step-mother
"Guess what I did today." everyone looked a bit puzzled,
and then she said "I got into Warren's pants today."
Every one gasped in shock and said "You shouldn't say things like that."
Then my wife stepped back grabbing her belt loops said, "And look, I'm still in them."
The whole room broke up with laughter.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Another category of humor is the 'absent minded professor' and in this case I will have to do. I feel somewhat qualified, I was a teacher, my daughter accuses me of TMI, or useless information.

My daughter called me to tell me that she was bringing the grandchildren out later that day, but there were some possible complications that she might need me to pick them up. Then she told me to be sure that my cell phone was charged, had the sound turned up, and was in my pocket. I usually keep my phone in the 'watch pocket of my jeans, so I stuck my finger in the pocket to check and the pocket was empty?
I started to look in all the places I usually set the phone down and said "I guess I need to find my phone."
Awkward pause,
"Dad, you are talking on your phone."
Another awkward pause,
"Oh, I guess I don't need to look for it."
duszek

Post by duszek »

Sometimes a single word can make you laugh and you cannot even explain why.

Yesterday I was looking for the word "indélébile" and further down there was the word "indéfrisable", which made me burst out laughing.
A Frenchman may not be able to see the funny side of the word. I prefer not to check.

Today I don´t laugh any more. The effect has ended.

Has it occurred to you that a word (in English or in other languages) had made you laugh ?
duszek

Post by duszek »

A constant source of resentment of the Czechs towards the Poles is that very often some Czech words sound so funny to a Pole that he or she cannot help laughing, even if the situation is not appropriate for laughing. And there is no similar effect the other way round.