Christian apology by a non-Christian

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gustav Bjornstrand

Re: Christian apology by a non-Christian

Post by Gustav Bjornstrand »

Felasco wrote:Um, it is universally agreed that all philosophy is made of thought. So there is no problem there, right? / Is thought inherently divisive? This could be discussed, instead of simply dismissed and ignored. Whatever the properties of thought might be discovered to be, those properties would influence everything made of thought, thus it is a rather central question. / So I'm not screwing myself out of anything, but am instead reporting key facts as best I can see them, offering a thesis which can be defended, so challenge away.
I would suppose that just as bodies, which take various forms, are composed of the materials that make up those bodies, in a similar way 'thought' as material epiphenomena is composed of building blocks of another sort or level but which *must* conform to certain rules of order and logic since they are 'epiphenomenal to matter', otherwise they would be chaotic, incapable of functioning as 'blocks' by which (higher) concepts are constructed.

If this is so, the question becomes discovering, coming into, using, those 'building blocks' in a responsible and knowledgeful way. I will readily admit that (if what I just said is true) that we battle against delirium, irreason, and perhaps other vast obstacles to arrive at 'clear and true thought'. But it does seem to me possible that 'thought' is not a destructive (divisive) process in se.

No conversation can be constructed with you, Felasco, because essential building blocks are not allowed, except those (ironically) that you use to undermine the process in which you engage. It is a wee bit strange to be on the other side of this.

No trustworthy building blocks of thought are allowed and so it seems to follow, if that is so, that all Felasco is involved in is an elaborate game to which he is 'addicted'. This follows from your own statements/admissions. I am not making this up!
If we should wish to learn about Gustav we observe what Gustav has created, his forum posts, as a source of clues about the nature of Gustav. In the same way, if we wish to learn about God, we observe what God has created.
I am not too comfortable with the binaries that will flow out of this usage, but: God has created man and the possibility of thought, and the reality of it. Thought is tied to the psyche, the soul, and out of man's (God's therefor? by extension?) psyche (and thought) come into the world 'created things' which are externalizations of inner orders. Therefor, we might just as easily know and understand 'God' by understanding our thought, and we might find in our thinking a means, as with mathematics, to express 'eternal verities' or at least approach them.

Just working with the material you are giving me… ;-)
I'm just commenting as honestly I can on what I believe is motivating us to be dance partners.
Honestly is a good thing, I think. Still, I prefer to speak for myself. Our 'objectives' may not be the same at all. It is possible. You refer continually to dysfunctional and even 'codependent' metaphors. I resist them.
I'm receptive to your proposal that societies require an "operating system" as a nerd like myself might put it. A set of largely agreed upon values etc. / I'm wondering to what degree the creation of such social glue requires theology. / What values do you feel are essential that would require a theological perspective to support them?
One operating system could be replaced by another and in some sense they are interchangeable. I think this is an outcome of some modern trends of thought. Perhaps of 'relativism'? A good deal hinges on some presuppositions that seem to 'inhabit' the phrases.

I am wondering if the reverse in some senses might be true: that we intuit or induce back toward Universals? To say 'largely agree upon' implies democratic processes. But that argument falls apart when one understands that the specific units in a 'demos' might not have the capability or even the desire to understand, to grasp, and to define. And that no such 'agreement' will even be forthcoming.

So 'agreement' in this sense may not be what determines the issue. When you say 'creation of such social glue' you refer again to something that arises temporally. It is also functional, pragmatic. But if form and design are inherent in nature and are discovered, seen and 'uncovered' through the grasping of nature (which might only means 'seeing' into it), then it might also follow that 'operating system' is preexistent, even eternal. We discover it or we don't. We live it or we don't.

'Theology' in its chemically pure form would correspond to physics and to some material sciences, and would deal on universals. I mean. that is the concept on which it is based.

When you use the word 'theology' you mean 'the best operating system to run the social hardware'. I think I mean something different. Getting to the point of even being able to speak about that is the object.
Felasco

Post by Felasco »

But it does seem to me possible that 'thought' is not a destructive (divisive) process in se.
Yes, the wetness of water does not make water inherently bad or destructive etc. In some contexts the wetness of water is wonderful, in other contexts it is deadly.

And so it is with the divisive nature of thought. Please recall that this thread addresses itself to the religious inquiry, and that is the context which I am addressing.

Perhaps it will help to repeat that by divisive I don't mean argumentative, but "to divide".
No conversation can be constructed with you, Felasco, because essential building blocks are not allowed, except those (ironically) that you use to undermine the process in which you engage. It is a wee bit strange to be on the other side of this.
This has been covered extensively above. It is possible to use reason to see the limits of reason. You seem to be constructing a conversation with me pretty successfully.
No trustworthy building blocks of thought are allowed and so it seems to follow, if that is so, that all Felasco is involved in is an elaborate game to which he is 'addicted'. This follows from your own statements/admissions. I am not making this up!
Yes, you are making it up. As any reader can see, I am using reason, and inviting you to reason as well. Using reason I have concluded that because God is proposed to be in the real world, the real world is the logical place to look. Perhaps you might explain the logic of looking elsewhere?
I am not too comfortable with the binaries that will flow out of this usage, but: God has created man and the possibility of thought, and the reality of it.
Yes, and we use this gift to meet the needs of the body, it is our means of physical survival. It doesn't automatically follow that thought is therefore the best tool for each and every job.
Therefor, we might just as easily know and understand 'God' by understanding our thought,
I've been arguing for understanding thought throughout this thread and a number of others across the forum, and never get any serious takers.
and we might find in our thinking a means, as with mathematics, to express 'eternal verities' or at least approach them.
Yes, one is surely entitled to write many wonderful books about apples, but we will never be able to actually eat those books. In my view, the point of the religious inquiry is to eat the apples. The religious inquiry is a response to another human need like hunger, sleep, sex etc. The point is to meet the need.
You refer continually to dysfunctional and even 'codependent' metaphors. I resist them.
Well, they aren't especially flattering I admit. But then we are human after all, and there is some value in making peace with our limitations. That said, such things take time.
When you say 'creation of such social glue' you refer again to something that arises temporally. It is also functional, pragmatic. But if form and design are inherent in nature and are discovered, seen and 'uncovered' through the grasping of nature (which might only means 'seeing' into it), then it might also follow that 'operating system' is preexistent, even eternal. We discover it or we don't. We live it or we don't.
Ok, but what social glue values do you believe require theology?
When you use the word 'theology' you mean 'the best operating system to run the social hardware'.
I thought that was what you meant, but I may have misunderstood. I have a sense of the values you value, and agree with many of them, and am trying to understand what their relationship with theology might be.

If you wish, perhaps you might restate your core thesis in a concise manner, and I could refresh my understanding. You feel theology is necessary and important because.....
Gustav Bjornstrand

The topic of this thread is Christian apology by a non-Christian, and not that it absolutely has to stick to that exact subject, but it is about Christianity, Christian doctrines, the churches, theology, and many other things, but not about the 'religious inquiry'. I think that should be the topic of a separate thread.

Felasco, I don't think you are engaged in the topic of this thread but with your own topic, whatever it is. Really I don't mind. But my thought right now is: you don't have any real interest nor background in the specifics of this topic.
I've been arguing for understanding thought throughout this thread and a number of others across the forum, and never get any serious takers.
My sense is that, pursued as you desire to pursue it, it leads only to chasing thought away and 'going silent'. But maybe you could start a thread called 'On Thinking: Turning Thought On Itself". ;-)
Yes, one is surely entitled to write many wonderful books about apples, but we will never be able to actually eat those books. In my view, the point of the religious inquiry is to eat the apples.
Sort of begs the question: What are you doing in the unreal world of words and symbols!? By your own definition you are not 'eating apples'.

Language and philosophy are not the places for your desired activity.
I thought that was what you meant, but I may have misunderstood.
It is a wide field, I admit.
  • "Theology is the systematic and rational study of religion and its influences and of the nature of religious truths, or the learned profession acquired by completing specialized training in religious studies, usually at a university or school of divinity or seminary."
I don't see much value in continuing in a point-by-point discussion. Our perspectives and orientations and goals are very very different. But it has been interesting so far.
Felasco

Post by Felasco »

The topic of this thread is Christian apology by a non-Christian, and not that it absolutely has to stick to that exact subject, but it is about Christianity, Christian doctrines, the churches, theology, and many other things, but not about the 'religious inquiry'. I think that should be the topic of a separate thread.
In the Christian context, I would argue that the experience of love (the real) has more value than the cultivation of ideological beliefs (symbology).

I would argue that the experience of love is more beneficial to the individual than ideological beliefs.

I would argue that in a social context love is more likely to unite and bring peace, whereas as centuries of experience have shown, ideological beliefs are rather prone to result in rhetorical and physical violence, even on a mass scale.

In the Christian context, I would use the phrase "religious inquiry" to mean exploring God through the experience of love. It is an inquiry in the sense that one can spend a lifetime learning love, and digging ever deeper in to what it has to offer.

I come from generations of Catholics, so if you would prefer I speak more in the Christian context I am willing to oblige. Doing so doesn't interfere with my thesis at all.
Felasco, I don't think you are engaged in the topic of this thread but with your own topic, whatever it is.
It is the same topic, but I am guilty of not framing my points more in the Christian context, as the thread title suggests I should do. Point taken.
Really I don't mind. But my thought right now is: you don't have any real interest nor background in the specifics of this topic.
I do have interest in the specifics. The specifics of experience, ie. the mystical. You are interested in the specifics of talking about experience, ie the theological.
My sense is that, pursued as you desire to pursue it, it leads only to chasing thought away and 'going silent'. But maybe you could start a thread called 'On Thinking: Turning Thought On Itself". ;-)
Maybe you should start a thread entitled, "Why We Should Look For God Somewhere Other Than Where Christianity Says God Is." :-)

If you wish to rule this thread without challenge I don't mind, really I don't. But, um, as you've seen, you'd be talking mostly to yourself.
Sort of begs the question: What are you doing in the unreal world of words and symbols!? By your own definition you are not 'eating apples'.
I simply refuse to explain this for the 100th time. If you want a reply here, look it up. :-)
I don't see much value in continuing in a point-by-point discussion.
Ok then, adios, and thanks for the chat!
Gustav Bjornstrand

In the Christian context, I would argue that the experience of love (the real) has more value than the cultivation of ideological beliefs (symbology).
If I understand you correctly, it is possible that you are attempting to say something similar to what Pope Francis says, or tries to say. See his fervorino.
I come from generations of Catholics, so if you would prefer I speak more in the Christian context I am willing to oblige. Doing so doesn't interfere with my thesis at all.
I live in a region that is hyper-Catholic. My GF is a practicing Catholic. Her kid goes to a Catholic school. And she has very little 'doctrinal' or historical grasp of Catholicism or Christianity. I am neither Catholic nor 'practicing Christian' and I know a great deal more than her. To say 'I come from generations of Catholics' is not really a credential (I don't know if you mean it as such). I know some Catholics though who are very well versed in Catholic theology. I have some books by (English) theologians/historians/philosophers/Greek scholars who I tremendously admire. Their analysis and understandings seem like clear lights, like beacons. (The authors of the essays in 'The Legacy of Ancient Greece' for example). Those who advance in these areas achieve amazing 'heights'. Quite impressive. Their ideas change the way a person thinks and lives.
If you wish to rule this thread without challenge I don't mind, really I don't. But, um, as you've seen, you'd be talking mostly to yourself.
It is not that I wish to 'rule' this or any other thread. I have stated my intentions a few times. I use forums as a writing focus while I am engaged in specific readings. I put out ideas and see what comes back.

If you will allow me to be straight-up honest with you, and I hope you will not be offended, I feel I have gotten very little from your discourse. It can be stated in 3-4 short paragraphs and then left at that. I grant you all the 'love' in this world and the world to come, what you lack is the Christian description of how that love shall function in this world. That is 'theology' (at least in significant part).

I also don't want to *insult* the Forum but, at least in the philosophy of religion part, the level of conversation is '3 degrees above death-warmed-over'. But the 'conversation' kept creeping along, and I am always averse to establishing myself in another forum, and have no other forum even as a possibility. So, I bogged down here. Is it possible that the heydays of Internet Fora have passed? Someone told me that Social Media destroyed them.
Felasco

Post by Felasco »

If I understand you correctly, it is possible that you are attempting to say something similar to what Pope Francis says, or tries to say.
Thanks for the link. To the very limited degree I can understand his words here, I see the similarity. I have the general sense from media reports that the Pope is trying to steer in a direction I would find generally agreeable, a focus on service to the poor etc. I admit to not knowing his outlook in any depth.
To say 'I come from generations of Catholics' is not really a credential (I don't know if you mean it as such).
I don't mean it as a credential. Just indicating an interest and a familiarity with Catholic culture. More to the point, I have a Catholic flavored mind.
I know some Catholics though who are very well versed in Catholic theology. I have some books by (English) theologians/historians/philosophers/Greek scholars who I tremendously admire. Their analysis and understandings seem like clear lights, like beacons.
I spent a few months exploring the Catholic web awhile back. I created a Catholic publishing network. Catholics tend to be quite good at intellectual theology, but seem to be generally clueless about the net, which many of them are honest enough to admit. At least in the west, Catholicism seems to be becoming the religion of old folks.

You could also see the inherently divisive nature of thought at work, as this quite intellectual religion of peace splits in to warring ideological camps. Catholics love to talk about things like unity, but aren't too interested in actually doing it.
If you will allow me to be straight-up honest with you, and I hope you will not be offended, I feel I have gotten very little from your discourse.
Yes, you're not ready to explore too far beyond the theological/intellectual realm, and are under no obligation to ever do so. It's also entirely possible, rather quite likely, that I'm just not the appropriate writer to introduce these topics to you. I make no claim to be able to connect with any audience, I just do what I do the best I know how, and the chips fall where they may.
It can be stated in 3-4 short paragraphs and then left at that.
If I can be honest with you in return, you actually have little to no idea what you're talking about in regards to the subjects I've been addressing. It's not a lack of ability, but probably more an unwillingness to explore very far beyond your comfort zone, which of course is entirely your right.

Although the time may not be right now, someday, perhaps decades from now, a person of your intelligence may be excited to discover that once you have read every book in the library, there are still virgin lands available to explore. Or maybe not, who knows, not me.
I also don't want to *insult* the Forum but, at least in the philosophy of religion part, the level of conversation is '3 degrees above death-warmed-over'.
Generally speaking, yes. The problem lies not with the individual people involved, but with the publishing model in near universal use across the world of forums.
So, I bogged down here. Is it possible that the heydays of Internet Fora have passed? Someone told me that Social Media destroyed them.
Yes, the heyday of forums is now long past. There are quite a few forums that address the same topics presented here, and you may want to explore them via Google, but don't expect anything dramatically different than what you see here.

If you should become serious about having conversations on your level, your best opportunity is probably to start your own forum, and exclude those who don't meet whatever standard you set.

I'm a forum software developer, so it's possible we could work together on something like this someday.
Felasco

Post by Felasco »

Gustav, here's a site which might possibly interest you. The writers are all professional Catholic theologians, ie. not the general public as you would find on forums.

http://catholicmoraltheology.com/

There is a quite limited opportunity for dialog, but at least some. My experience was that the editors tend to delete comments they don't agree with or find too challenging, nonetheless, they seemed like good folks, and have educations that you would respect.

It's all very intellectual in nature, and there is no discussion of the glory of vast nothingness and so on.... :-)
Gustav Bjornstrand

Surely you have heard of the term 'projection'? One very definite thing about encountering people on fora is the probability of encountering also one's own 'projected material'. It seems wise to hold this possibility in the back of one's head especially when one begins to make overall statements about others. Especially when one gets into the thick of things: encounters with people with substantially different political, religious or other views.

One of the things I notice about the subject of your discourse is that it seems to preach 'unity' (which to me is a questionable goal though it is certainly in accord with PC Doctrines) but that you yourself give evidence of being in and writing from a very tendentious pole. In the end it is you who seems to split away and into a sharply defined and somewhat dogmatic position.

Also, as someone once said, you can never really know where another person is coming from (on a forum). But since we only can base such notions on what we see written, and since our impression is something bouncing around in our own brain, it becomes easy to arrive at quick summations which are not always accurate. You have said a few times, to those who take issue with your doctrine (or non-doctrine or anti-doctrine) that Perhaps some years later you'll get it. Now, this is not impossible of course. But there is another possibility too: that you may require some time to 'get it' and that you just may not grasp (yet) the messages that are being brought to you. This is simply a possibility. And I say it because you don't ever focus on any of the specific content that is brought up 'as-against' your formulations. After a little while it becomes quite frustrating. Certain things (as you might say of your interlocutors) 'fall on deaf ears'.

What I have learned, and what I now desire to institute in myself, is that 'life as I understand it' and 'spiritual life' and also 'religious life' (which I define very distinctly from Catholicism or any other -ism) and even if you will 'God' in a cosmic sense, requires not the loosening or abandoning of strong definitions and defined postures, but the solidification of them. I could say concretization, definition, and may other such words. The opposite characteristic, and one that I feel strongly must be resisted, is a loosening of defined postures, or a surrendering of the field, or a relaxation of the discipline and the focus necessary to forge through the forest, if you will, of ideas. In fact I seem to be referring to two distinct Modes of being.

Now, outside of us and surrounding us is a vast, popular culture and similarly vast mechanisms (media essentially but also the educational system in the widest sense) which, to put it in direct terms, 'seeks to have its way with us'. Allied to that are popular and sensationalistic, perhaps 'sensualistic' in the precise sense of the term, currents of 'thought' (the term 'henid' may indeed have a good use here since popular thinking is not really thinking at all) which also ask of us that we 'join together' with a mass; think and feel like that mass; accept certain ideas as 'true' and surrender (my interpretation) some important part of our 'defining self'. There is a way to characterize this 'pole' of influence but I will only allude to it generally here. But much is defined by that 'pole': attitudes toward the present; attitudes toward sexuality; attitudes toward gender.

There exists too another pole. It is a more classically 'conservative' pole. It defines itself in distinction to the 'other' pole and seeks to hold itself in a form of rigidity which also tends to express doctrinal conservatism, more traditional religious views, political conservatism and so much that we generally locate on the right side of the political and social spectrum. In its way it too seeks to impose itself on the general mind, 'have its way', influence, direct, etc.

There is another 'pole' (of consideration, of thought, of ethics and activity) which is far less common and that pole deals in and on 'greater existential questions', or the Existential Questions in their fundamental forms or perhaps 'quintessential forms'. It is not exactly a school of religion nor of philosophy, that is it doesn't exactly fit into one specific area or another. Yet it exists. In some sense (my view) it is the substrata in which all other (possible) considerations sit. How do we understand ourselves existentially? How do we understand and define the substrata that allows existence to exist? It is in exploring such questions that one discovers the need for a group of tools of consciousness so to be able even to consider or explore 'meaning' there. In the most ultimate sense there, in relation to that, exists 'theology' (in my view). Essentially (also as I understand it) it requires both 'mystical' and a 'philosophic-intellectual' tools. In truth there is no way to exactly define how to 'explore' or consider 'it'. But one thing about 'it' may be said: That domain of consideration, or that 'metaphysical space', or however one choses to define it, cannot be defined in the terminology of the Left or the Right, nor by 'popular sentiment' or attitude, nor in relation to what information streams down to us through Media conglomerates intimately tied to social control systems and what have you.

In relation to these poles, to these facts, to these realities, we have to orient ourselves. I say 'have to' with special emphasis. If you do not define yourself (in relation to any of that, and in relation to yourself) someone will step in and do it for you. This for me is Fact Number One in our world as it is. It is true, as you say, that some people can do and will do no 'work' of self-clatification and of definition in the strict sense I am referring to. It is also true that if, say, as you seem to describe yourself, that they are 'people of love' that they can manage to get on quite well, or well enough. And they do whatever it is that such 'people of love' do and perhaps 100% absent any doctrinal or ideational base. This seems to be your assertion in any case. But truthfully, as truthfully and fairly as I can be, your enunciations lack clarity around these issues. Once you are asked to define or to respond more rigorously, you reflexively revert to a 'tactic' where you refer to this 'love' without any sort of definition except that your wife, without thinking at any level, embodies it, and this is 'good' in your estimation. (Who would argue?)

What is the purpose, now, of taking the time to write this out? I would like to believe that I can demonstrate to you, even against my better judgement, that it is possible that you may have things backward. Or at the very least that your sense of the order of necessity (in spiritual life) may have some variables. I would like to suggest to you that it may have been (say in my case and possibly in other's) just exactly the opposite: that the Revelation (in the mystical sense) came first and the remodeling of mental and spiritual life came later: and as a fulfillment of the former. And that the experience of revelation, or vision, and even 'love' is a first step that is followed by many other steps and that one of those steps may be 'defining and concretizing' but not giving oneself over to looser forms of being, or as I say abandonments of structure and definition.

So then, seen from this new angle, how might one respond to the 'doctrines' that you seem to desire to represent? You present them as inevitablities into which one will come when one, like you, becomes an Ancient of Days, an Elder, a Teacher. You represent your doctrines in this way, especially when push comes to shove and (a pun) one pushes off from you.
You could also see the inherently divisive nature of thought at work, as this quite intellectual religion of peace splits in to warring ideological camps. Catholics love to talk about things like unity, but aren't too interested in actually doing it.
You can train a parrot to repeat, annoyingly, the same phrase. And if the parrot has a shrill voice it will unnerve even more readily and quickly. If God exists I thank Him that you have a soft, mellow voice.

So once again I will assert some counter-arguments:
  • Divisions in thinking are necessary and inevitable. Compare the 'thinking' of Himmler and Martin Luther King. Take any tendentious pole and note that it is required that they be 'thought through'. There is no 'unity of thinking' that will make these distinctions disappear. At this point your doctrine becomes incoherent.
  • A 'religion of peace' is your own pet term. In actual point of fact Christianity describes itself, and always has, as a group of people in an existential war against a satanic terrestrial rulership. I am not inventing this. This is a basic fact about Christianity. It certainly appears to be true that within the Inner Circle of believers a gentle and a loving ethic is called for and practices, and yet even there there are very strict and definite boundaries which are defined ideologically.
  • I have no idea what 'Catholics love to talk about', but the core Catholic doctrines always seem to me about defining correct ethics and the need to hold to them as a means of giving expression to religious values and service to the Savior in this world.
  • To have a sense of what would need 'to be done', one would have to gain some grounding in the specifics of Catholic doctrine, and then one would have some material to work with. It may be, and I suspect that it is, possible that 'unity' is a sort of mushy dream or vague hope more suitable to the matrons of the Church. In actual point of fact it may be that an authentic and practiced Catholicism may create and accentuate 'divisions' between those who practice the ethics and those who do not. This would fit more in with the Christian notion of 'war against the rebellious world'. So, these half-baked opinions that you spout without really thinking are seen to fall on their face.
I admit to not knowing his outlook in any depth.
What outlook do you know anything about at all? What philosopher, novelist, writer, poet, thinker, mystic? Do you know anything about anything? Or, are you able to toss it all into 'the mystic fires of the Real'? I am ironizing here of course, but really, Felasco, I can imagine you as having long ago abandoned any sort of study that would require the use of the mind. Since 'thinking is divisive' you will have to engage in some other activity that allows for the 'unity' you preach about.
I don't mean it as a credential. Just indicating an interest and a familiarity with Catholic culture. More to the point, I have a Catholic flavored mind.
As far as I can tell you have a mind made of mush. And it is saccharinely flavored with undercooked essences which seem lukewarm and spittable. Catholic 'culture' in my view is not an ideal but that is another conversation.
Yes, you're not ready to explore too far beyond the theological/intellectual realm, and are under no obligation to ever do so. It's also entirely possible, rather quite likely, that I'm just not the appropriate writer to introduce these topics to you. I make no claim to be able to connect with any audience, I just do what I do the best I know how, and the chips fall where they may.
If you really had something important and relevant to say, it would have revealed itself already. Or, you might have referred to other writers who have said better and more thoroughly whatever it is that you wish to express, which remains incoherent to me.

You make the assumption that I have not 'explore[d] […] beyond the theological/intellectual realm', which is thoroughly incorrect and yet it is understandable to me why you conclude this, based on my focus on tangibles in this thread. The notion that you are here to 'introduce' me or anyone to some special doctrines, if based on what you write, the circularity of your ideas, and your constant falling on your face when pushed, indicates to me that---just perhaps---you may do well to modify your self-view.
Felasco

Post by Felasco »

One very definite thing about encountering people on fora is the probability of encountering also one's own 'projected material'.
Have you noticed that you keep replying to me, after repeatedly saying you see no further value in the exchange? You're continuing to reply to me because I'm the only one willing to play with you, you don't know where the other forums are, and you are a typoholic, just like me. That's not projection, that's one typoholic recognizing another.

I say, we are what we are, and instead of being afraid to admit it why not celebrate who we are with a dash of self-deprecating humor? You know, reason, replace shame with fun. Or not, as you wish, that's ok too.
One of the things I notice about the subject of your discourse is that it seems to preach 'unity' (which to me is a questionable goal though it is certainly in accord with PC Doctrines) but that you yourself give evidence of being in and writing from a very tendentious pole. In the end it is you who seems to split away and into a sharply defined and somewhat dogmatic position.
Yes, I agree with this. Three things: 1) the inherently divisive nature of thought at work, 2) conversations such as this depend on walking a delicate line between conflict and peace. If I simply agreed with the group consensus in a genial manner, you would find me too boring to bother reading, and 3) I can be a butthead.
Also, as someone once said, you can never really know where another person is coming from (on a forum).
Never is a big word. Sometimes you do.
You have said a few times, to those who take issue with your doctrine (or non-doctrine or anti-doctrine) that Perhaps some years later you'll get it. Now, this is not impossible of course.
Ok, yes.
But there is another possibility too: that you may require some time to 'get it' and that you just may not grasp (yet) the messages that are being brought to you.
I don't have much time left, so don't count on that. :-) Again my new friend, what is your age? You seem to favor a strong leading hand from masculine consciousness etc, and I believe that is what I am providing. As best I can tell, I am the ranking chest pounding ape here in terms of age, and so I am playing that role.

It is entirely appropriate that as the younger chest pounding ape that you challenge the old dog at every turn and try to dethrone him, and once you do, then you will become the old dog, and some other young punk ape will rise up to challenge you. And so it has been, since the beginning of time.
This is simply a possibility. And I say it because you don't ever focus on any of the specific content that is brought up 'as-against' your formulations. After a little while it becomes quite frustrating. Certain things (as you might say of your interlocutors) 'fall on deaf ears'.
Yes, frustrating, because you want me to accept your rules of the game, that he who does the best intellectual fancy talk wins. And I am devaluing the game that you have considerable skill at. Again, I suggest you shift to the field of science, where your natural talents would be entirely appropriate, and I would then offer no complaint or challenge to the process you wish to pursue.

But if we are to reason together in the field of religion, then I offer you a reasoned challenged to the status quo view you are presenting, and invite you to challenge my challenge in turn for as long as it pleases you to do so. And when you really are done, we can call it day, no problem.
What I have learned, and what I now desire to institute in myself, is that 'life as I understand it' and 'spiritual life' and also 'religious life' (which I define very distinctly from Catholicism or any other -ism) and even if you will 'God' in a cosmic sense, requires not the loosening or abandoning of strong definitions and defined postures, but the solidification of them. I could say concretization, definition, and may other such words.
I can not suggest a better word than concretization. :-) If that is your path, go for it, explore it. Don't expect me to applaud it though. However, many others will, so perhaps they would make better partners for you?
The opposite characteristic, and one that I feel strongly must be resisted, is a loosening of defined postures, or a surrendering of the field, or a relaxation of the discipline and the focus necessary to forge through the forest, if you will, of ideas. In fact I seem to be referring to two distinct Modes of being.
Yes, that's a fair summary.

If you wish please keep in mind that the real, (that place where God is proposed to exist) can not be concretized, as it eternally changes in every moment. We can be there, experience it, ride it, but we can not capture it.
Now, outside of us and surrounding us is a vast, popular culture and similarly vast mechanisms (media essentially but also the educational system in the widest sense) which, to put it in direct terms, 'seeks to have its way with us'.
Um, to put it another way, there are a great many people competing for the hearts and minds...
Allied to that are popular and sensationalistic, perhaps 'sensualistic' in the precise sense of the term, currents of 'thought' (the term 'henid' may indeed have a good use here since popular thinking is not really thinking at all) which also ask of us that we 'join together' with a mass; think and feel like that mass; accept certain ideas as 'true' and surrender (my interpretation) some important part of our 'defining self'.
If you don't wish to be part of the mass, why not explore beyond a fixed rigid loyalty to the group consensus notion that thought is everything?
There is a way to characterize this 'pole' of influence but I will only allude to it generally here. But much is defined by that 'pole': attitudes toward the present; attitudes toward sexuality; attitudes toward gender.
Those damn hippy pinko commies!!! :-)
There exists too another pole. It is a more classically 'conservative' pole. It defines itself in distinction to the 'other' pole and seeks to hold itself in a form of rigidity which also tends to express doctrinal conservatism, more traditional religious views, political conservatism and so much that we generally locate on the right side of the political and social spectrum. In its way it too seeks to impose itself on the general mind, 'have its way', influence, direct, etc.
Yes, ok, agreed. But it's not quite that simple. As example, I once played a leadership role in a quite conservative public safety political agenda here in my state. On the other hand, I am very liberal on social issues like gay rights.
How do we understand and define the substrata that allows existence to exist? It is in exploring such questions that one discovers the need for a group of tools of consciousness so to be able even to consider or explore 'meaning' there.
Ok, academic intellectualism and philosophy etc.
In the most ultimate sense there, in relation to that, exists 'theology' (in my view).
Yes, ok.
In relation to these poles, to these facts, to these realities, we have to orient ourselves. I say 'have to' with special emphasis.
Yes, because for you, intellectualism is everything. It appears you have to.
If you do not define yourself (in relation to any of that, and in relation to yourself) someone will step in and do it for you.
Their opinions are their business.
This for me is Fact Number One in our world as it is. It is true, as you say, that some people can do and will do no 'work' of self-clatification and of definition in the strict sense I am referring to.
Ok, yes, agreed.
It is also true that if, say, as you seem to describe yourself, that they are 'people of love' that they can manage to get on quite well, or well enough.
Ok again.
And they do whatever it is that such 'people of love' do and perhaps 100% absent any doctrinal or ideational base. This seems to be your assertion in any case.
Yes, it's very easy to verify for oneself. I suspect most of the people any of us will meet are not very philosophical in nature, which is why guys like you and me tend to come to specialized nerd heavens such as this forum.
But truthfully, as truthfully and fairly as I can be, your enunciations lack clarity around these issues.
Ask a specific question concisely, and I will reply if I have anything to contribute.
What is the purpose, now, of taking the time to write this out?
Because you, um, like me, enjoying typing very much? Just a thought...
I would like to believe that I can demonstrate to you, even against my better judgement, that it is possible that you may have things backward.
Ok, go for it.
I would like to suggest to you that it may have been (say in my case and possibly in other's) just exactly the opposite: that the Revelation (in the mystical sense) came first and the remodeling of mental and spiritual life came later: and as a fulfillment of the former.
Um, I've been saying that the mystical is the source of the theological all along...
And that the experience of revelation, or vision, and even 'love' is a first step that is followed by many other steps and that one of those steps may be 'defining and concretizing' but not giving oneself over to looser forms of being, or as I say abandonments of structure and definition.
It seems a fact that for many people this is the way it must work. As you know, I suggest that if the moment of revelation is so powerful, why not return to it?
So then, seen from this new angle, how might one respond to the 'doctrines' that you seem to desire to represent? You present them as inevitablities into which one will come when one, like you, becomes an Ancient of Days, an Elder, a Teacher.
I meant what I said. You are an intelligent person. And so it's possible that someday your curiosity may lead you to investigate beyond the walls of the intellectual library. If you just acquired your intellectual library somewhat recently, then it may be too soon for you to have become bored with it. If that is the case, then it is my error to think that I can rush what has to unfold at it's own natural pace.
You represent your doctrines in this way, especially when push comes to shove and (a pun) one pushes off from you.
Sit down please, because this is going to shock you. I am not a perfect person. :-) Or a perfect writer. I'm pretty good at bloviation mass production however.
Divisions in thinking are necessary and inevitable. Compare the 'thinking' of Himmler and Martin Luther King. Take any tendentious pole and note that it is required that they be 'thought through'. There is no 'unity of thinking' that will make these distinctions disappear. At this point your doctrine becomes incoherent.
The root source of both Nazism and American racism is the inherently divisive nature of thought. This statement is not beyond challenge, but it is coherent, and can be defended.
[*]A 'religion of peace' is your own pet term. In actual point of fact Christianity describes itself, and always has, as a group of people in an existential war against a satanic terrestrial rulership.
A war which will not be won by becoming like Satan.
[*]I have no idea what 'Catholics love to talk about', but the core Catholic doctrines always seem to me about defining correct ethics and the need to hold to them as a means of giving expression to religious values and service to the Savior in this world.
Yes, agreed, the core Catholic doctrines. Like so many others, theist and atheist, you seem intent on the assumption that religion is nothing more than ideological assertions.
[*]To have a sense of what would need 'to be done', one would have to gain some grounding in the specifics of Catholic doctrine, and then one would have some material to work with.
Die to be reborn. Four words. You want it to be much more complex, because you enjoy complexities.
It may be, and I suspect that it is, possible that 'unity' is a sort of mushy dream or vague hope more suitable to the matrons of the Church.
I would have to agree that Catholic unity is most likely a dream. Catholicism is a quite thought-centric enterprise, and so it is subject to the inherently divisive properties of thought. All ideologies divide within themselves, it's only the degree which differs.
In actual point of fact it may be that an authentic and practiced Catholicism may create and accentuate 'divisions' between those who practice the ethics and those who do not. This would fit more in with the Christian notion of 'war against the rebellious world'. So, these half-baked opinions that you spout without really thinking are seen to fall on their face.
Ok, so let's have another 2,000 years of ideological violence, and see how it works out.
What outlook do you know anything about at all? What philosopher, novelist, writer, poet, thinker, mystic?
I know a bit about the real world, a greater authority than any famous person you can toss in my face. :-)
I am ironizing here of course, but really, Felasco, I can imagine you as having long ago abandoned any sort of study that would require the use of the mind.
When in fact, I am kicking your ass in the realm of reason, which is why you're getting so annoyed with me. :-)
Since 'thinking is divisive' you will have to engage in some other activity that allows for the 'unity' you preach about.
Explained 500 times above.
As far as I can tell you have a mind made of mush.
And my mush is clobbering your concrete. If you are done being hysterical please use your highly advanced intellectual ability to address this question...

The primary assertion of Christianity and other western religions is that God exists in the real world. Please explain why we should look elsewhere, and how doing so is being serious about understanding Christianity.
And it is saccharinely flavored with undercooked essences which seem lukewarm and spittable.
You are deep in to characterizing a challenge you can not meet.
If you really had something important and relevant to say, it would have revealed itself already.
No, it wouldn't, because I decline to do the reader's homework for them.
Or, you might have referred to other writers who have said better and more thoroughly whatever it is that you wish to express, which remains incoherent to me.
It remains incoherent because you are investing all of your considerable intelligence not in to understanding, but in resisting. And because you are a capable person, you have accomplished the goal you set out to accomplish.
You make the assumption that I have not 'explore[d] […] beyond the theological/intellectual realm', which is thoroughly incorrect and yet it is understandable to me why you conclude this, based on my focus on tangibles in this thread.
Ok, fair enough.
The notion that you are here to 'introduce' me or anyone to some special doctrines, if based on what you write, the circularity of your ideas, and your constant falling on your face when pushed, indicates to me that---just perhaps---you may do well to modify your self-view.
I am His Flatulence Sri Baba Bozo, the founder of Bozoism, the next great world religion. And you are having an ego meltdown. :-)

It will pass. I find you to be a durable fellow, an appealing quality, and in conversations with me Sir Blowhard, a necessary one. :-)
Felasco

Post by Felasco »

Not on the topic of Christianity, but...

Here's a long winded intellectual type guy who speaks to some of the topics we've been discussing with more fame and authority etc than I can offer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiddu_Krishnamurti

http://www.jkrishnamurti.org/index.php

Briefly, he was raised from early childhood to be a messiah, but tossed all that away upon reaching maturity, and then spent most of the twentieth century traveling the world engaging audiences in conversation, and writing quite a number of books. He was Indian by birth, but spent a great deal of time in the West, and perhaps personifies a bridge between the two cultures.

I don't know whether you will find him interesting or not. If you should decide he's worth chewing on, there is plenty there to chew.
Felasco

Post by Felasco »

This is less likely to appeal, but just in case....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eckhart_Tolle

http://www.eckharttolle.com/

Addresses same general subjects. A good writer, more easily comprehended by modern popular audiences than Krishnamurti. Price tag, lots of new age culture baggage included, too much even for this crazy old hippy.

That's it, no more, we return now to our regularly scheduled program...
Gustav Bjornstrand

I assume these are homework projects as I am lovingly prepared for discipleship to The Bozo and his mystical doctrines? You are too kind, sir, too kind!
...some of the topics we've been discussing...
What exactly is the link between what I have been writing about and Krishnamurti?
Felasco

Post by Felasco »

. Or, you might have referred to other writers who have said better and more thoroughly whatever it is that you wish to express, which remains incoherent to me.
Gustav Bjornstrand

It is not so much that thought is divisive,
in itself,
but rather that a connecting cord to a 'higher metaphysical real',
an 'intellectually-intuited
higher-metaphysic'
that could
unify all thought and activity down in our 'sub-lunary realm'
has been severed.
When such a conceptual cord linking
all knowledge---indeed 'the knowable'---to that
which is intangible to the senses,
and known only in effect,
is cut,
all that subtends from that falls into disunity,
inevitably.

Knowledge (epistemology understood) fractures in all fields,
yet motion,
movement and will
remain intact,
though 'undisciplined'
Just like us.

With no guiding, and unifying, superior principial,
all endeavors of man degenerate, even as certain specific functions
become infinitely more elaborate
if tendentious.
Which progressive complexification
spins like a whirlwind
or like a 'gyre'
which reminds me...
…that we've perhaps heard these notes from other horns:

• Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the center cannot hold…
And:
  • A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
    A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun
    Is moving its slow thighs…*

And such movement of thigh
in the mood of 'passionate intensity'
with force and motion and will
functions in convictions
that can only move away from Unity
or toward false-unities which only end in increasing chaos.

*WB Yeats "Second Coming'
Felasco

Post by Felasco »

Welcome back Senor Gustav,
With no guiding, and unifying, superior principal,
all endeavors of man degenerate....
Might theology be defined as the search for that principle?

What, in your opinion, should that guiding, unifying, and superior principal be? What is your theology?