Nothing matters when you're DEAD

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

a Shark

Nothing matters when you're DEAD

Post by a Shark »

I have always thought that people live their lives as if they will live forever.
In the throes of agitation ,about the most trivial of circumstances, they are
blind to the limited context of , situation ,time and space.
The noted philosopher ,Arthur Schopenhauer, made the point that when
you are dead it will not matter whether you had a good or bad life.

The pleasure and the pain and in what proportion and magnitude
these were felt suddenly has no meaning.
This is consolation for those whose lives are less than fulfilling.
As time passes, in great invisible arks, suddenly you are old
and facing down death.

Who cares then about the crab grass on the lawn or the
fact that you never got the new car you had so desired.
The laughter and the tears , the prosperity and the debt .
Nothing translates beyond the grave.
The wealthiest person and the poorest person are
equal in the inconsequential world of the deceased.
The Voice of Time

Re: Nothing matters when you're DEAD

Post by The Voice of Time »

Well things tend to matter for us before our death, even things that are out of our reach because they will not unfold before after our death. However, I too like to remember that dead people are dead people, and that realizing that let one get rid of unnecessary holdings onto the past, like burying people and visiting their graves and so forth. When you are dead, your body is best sent to somebody who can profit from it, like medical research and hospital organ donation. And your memory best kept to what makes profit to think about.
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

This is a primo post.
Because by definition nothing matters to you who no longer exist.
How long life is and how happy is nothing. when you are dead.
Does reality exist when you no longer do?

NO

prove me wrong.

existence in the 'real world' is a joke .
a thing so structured that all the worlds questions are bunched up in a set that ends with no resolution.
so many will not face this and thus religion gets 2/3rds of humanity to believe in makebelieve worlds we go to.'
when in fact we go back to what we were before we were born.
nowhere/oblivion

so have fun. ignor the fools and do what you can to have a party or a relaxing time. and remember 3 out of 5 are born STUPID. avoid them.

Prill
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

If I can make a difference during my lifetime to things in such a way as it will be of good use to others after I'm gone then things do matter. It obviously won't matter to me once I'm gone whether I did things well or not, but it will to others.
a Shark

Post by a Shark »

Bernard wrote:If I can make a difference during my lifetime to things in such a way as it will be of good use to others after I'm gone then things do matter. It obviously won't matter to me once I'm gone whether I did things well or not, but it will to others.
I was not discussing such things. I was discussing what is the point of your personal anxiety ? There is an answer to this but no one has yet raised it.
a Shark

Post by a Shark »

Let me elaborate. Existence is an immediate thing. Whilst in the long view, the arc of time
brings us to the end, very fast ; the perception of the moment is a minute by minute
episode. Suffering, minute by minute, is not assuaged by the long view that it doesnt matter at the end and thus anxiety is an evolutionary device to attempt to rid the individual of the immediate suffering so that one can survive .
For example the pleasure of drinking a cup of tea or coffee is not likely to be a influenced by the philosophical idea that "why drink this stuff when I will be dead one day and wont need it".
Immediate pleasure is the preoccupation of humans.
And so Schopenhauer's view that ,in death ,the misery/happiness of life does not matter
is somewhat of a lame tautology .

So ,perhaps people do not live "as if they will live forever" but are merely responding to
the environment, as all living organisms do.And the environment has an immediate
consciousness.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

"Nothing matters when you're DEAD..........

I want to know how you know that.

What is it you know that all men do not.

"When men have died there awaits them what they neither expected nor imagined."
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

reasonvemotion wrote:
Why to you say this? Although, somehow I think you are correct.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

When men have died there awaits them what they neither expected nor imagined.

Heraclitus, the Obscure Philosopher
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Never mind when you're dead, does anything actually matter when you're alive? You only get one shot (probably), you can throw it away being a miserable bastard, or you can have a bit of a laugh.
a Shark

Post by a Shark »

reasonvemotion wrote:When men have died there awaits them what they neither expected nor imagined.

Heraclitus, the Obscure Philosopher
durrr
obscure Philosopher.
Last edited by a Shark on Fri May 31, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
a Shark

Post by a Shark »

reasonvemotion wrote:"Nothing matters when you're DEAD..........

I want to know how you know that.

What is it you know that all men do not.

Well he does not know any more that I do in terms of certainty.
There is a logical argument that there may be a spiritual life of course.
My feeling is that there is not and upon that idea I have founded my
philosophy.
a Shark

Post by a Shark »

tillingborn wrote:Never mind when you're dead, does anything actually matter when you're alive? You only get one shot (probably), you can throw it away being a miserable bastard, or you can have a bit of a laugh.
But the concept of throw it away has no context after death.
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

We are though the voluntary animal and can't help but make evaluations when life seems unbearably long or short. I think anxiety is more a physiological call to quit navel gazing and find one s true self via being for others rather than for oneself alone
a Shark wrote:Let me elaborate. Existence is an immediate thing. Whilst in the long view, the arc of time
brings us to the end, very fast ; the perception of the moment is a minute by minute
episode. Suffering, minute by minute, is not assuaged by the long view that it doesnt matter at the end and thus anxiety is an evolutionary device to attempt to rid the individual of the immediate suffering so that one can survive .
For example the pleasure of drinking a cup of tea or coffee is not likely to be a influenced by the philosophical idea that "why drink this stuff when I will be dead one day and wont need it".
Immediate pleasure is the preoccupation of humans.
And so Schopenhauer's view that ,in death ,the misery/happiness of life does not matter
is somewhat of a lame tautology .

So ,perhaps people do not live "as if they will live forever" but are merely responding to
the environment, as all living organisms do.And the environment has an immediate
consciousness.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

a Shark wrote:But the concept of throw it away has no context after death.
Well yes; that's why it is silly to throw it away before you are dead. Incidentally, I understand that Heraclitus was known as the obscure, precisely because his prose was deliberately tortured. Apparently he didn't think anyone worthy of his message who hadn't worked for it. He was a miserable bastard and hated just about everyone and everything. In contrast to his predecessors, who believed that Eros, love, was the fundamental force of nature, Heraclitus thought it was war and strife. He threw what was left of his life away; convinced that everyone but him was an idiot, when he had a bit of dropsy, he decided the physicians couldn't help him. He was probably right, but his own cure, to cover himself in manure and bake in the sun killed him.