What Do Pictures Want?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Pluto

What Do Pictures Want?

Post by Pluto »

I recently found this online and it's so good that I wanted to post on here as to enrich the site and offer it over to those that might find it of interest. Maybe we could even discuss parts that may interest the reader(s).

http://digitalhistory.concordia.ca/cour ... tchell.pdf
Whistwisth

Re: What Do Pictures Want?

Post by Whistwisth »

So perhaps modern art presence is more of our place in front of it, of us finding and discovering it, possibly productive pretence.
Rather than what was of post taste artistic vernacular being that it discovered us, it came before us, not any longer so drawn out and taught, a thing of Court, now we are the teachers of that heart.

Simply answering the question, 'What do pictures want?' Us to grant them an audience. Acclaim. Us to lay our claim to its frame of self styled home made domain.
The art of history orders its ownership outlasting us and certainly 'fame'.

Modern art is famous. We forward its worldly worth.
Ask instance. Hint of here.
Ageless art is infamous. It ward for our worth Worldly.
Task insistence. Inherent of hereafter.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

Whistwisth wrote:So perhaps modern art presence is more of our place in front of it, of us finding and discovering it, possibly productive pretence.
Rather than what was of post taste artistic vernacular being that it discovered us, it came before us, not any longer so drawn out and taught, a thing of Court, now we are the teachers of that heart.

Simply answering the question, 'What do pictures want?' Us to grant them an audience. Acclaim. Us to lay our claim to its frame of self styled home made domain.
The art of history orders its ownership outlasting us and certainly 'fame'.

Modern art is famous. We forward its worldly worth.
Ask instance. Hint of here.
Ageless art is infamous. It ward for our worth Worldly.
Task insistence. Inherent of hereafter.

This is poetry?
Whistwisth

Post by Whistwisth »

Pluto wrote:
This is poetry?
Amongst everything or anything it could be, 'This is' I suppose, possibly poetry.

Why do you ask? Is it lacking an answer? Is it lustring in inadequacy?
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

Whistwisth wrote:
Pluto wrote:
This is poetry?
Amongst everything or anything it could be, 'This is' I suppose, possibly poetry.

Why do you ask? Is it lacking an answer? Is it lustring in inadequacy?

It is a bit ambiguous. I do not know what it is you want to say. It is not clear. Could you rewrite it for me as though I were a child of ten?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

what wants want?
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

Pictures want to be seen.
Whistwisth

Post by Whistwisth »

The Voice of Time wrote:Pictures want to be seen.
My previous point being, that pictures, used to demand to be seen to be believed, and now more so than ever, pictures are a scene, that the 'viewer' is part of, that the art is for the masses, because it of their choice, rather than as history, it gives you the voice.
Pictures used to want to change and challenge the world, now they settle for a self styled mantle of individually owned, not the historic unified owed.
Art used to insist it bonded us all, now it little less than a commentary ode to the individual.
It used to insist before personal taste, now it butt beyond, fad faceted haste.
Whistwisth

Post by Whistwisth »

attofishpi wrote:Re: What Do Pictures Want?

what wants want?
A drunk I thunk.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

As I started to read the article in the link, and tried to focus on a possible answer, I was constantly drawn through the picture itself and back to the artist as the author of 'want'. I believe it will be difficult to maintain the picture itself as the thing doing the wanting. But just for fun, I would suggest a balanced composition, and a focuse sutable to the subject matter, just as many poeple are concerned about their apperance, so should the picture. Conveying some particular meaning or body of information would be no more common than it is with people, and that is somewhat uncommon. After all how many people are members of a forum like this compaired to the world population, or how many are teachers, or lecturers. Those who sincerely wish to present meaning or information to others are rare, and many times those who have some meaning or information are very close with it, and usually require a fee.
Whistwisth

Post by Whistwisth »

thedoc wrote:As I started to read the article in the link, and tried to focus on a possible answer, I was constantly drawn through the picture itself and back to the artist as the author of 'want'. I believe it will be difficult to maintain the picture itself as the thing doing the wanting. But just for fun, I would suggest a balanced composition, and a focuse sutable to the subject matter, just as many poeple are concerned about their apperance, so should the picture. Conveying some particular meaning or body of information would be no more common than it is with people, and that is somewhat uncommon. After all how many people are members of a forum like this compaired to the world population, or how many are teachers, or lecturers. Those who sincerely wish to present meaning or information to others are rare, and many times those who have some meaning or information are very close with it, and usually require a fee.
This is a very well received post, thank you for sharing it with us.

Upon its end, I had the thought, a reminder from today, that I had had a few enjoyable, I think uniquely relate-able thoughts, that would have translated to others well, I would venture a fancy. If I could recall them...

Then I was reminded of something a contact had just said, that had been told to them, 'you think too much', I had some varying thoughts upon this, but in relation et retaliation to this post of yours;
I have to say, it takes time to think, more so, to experience, enough to illicit uniquely translatable thoughts, more so, to translate in your own language and art and skill...it all takes time and effort, it all takes energy and desire or Requirement.

Now I do agree with you, that there ought be more art and what that therein and what is out there, that needs to be ... considered.
They are doing it, be sure of this, however...we need to have the will and wish to dig for it.
Success is simply a matter of the right person at the right time with the right endorsement that triggers a payment for the privilege.
But that being said, I do agree with you, more so about the fact that there more so an aversion to sharing ones ideas, because of the ... idiocy et sanity that has them think that these ideas and thoughts and experiences will be 'stolen'. Which can only mean one thing, not that another will be sharing in their ideals and proposals and Philosophies, but that someone else will get paid for it and they will miss out on that pay check, tick, gold star, brownie point.
Recognition. More so now, Fame, if it can be bought and sold, a can of soup is what it is condensed into...individuality looking for approval...what a contra-drama that tis, modernity tisk tisk tisk 15 minutes, only got one life, fix fax fux...it all about now
It all so much a matter of competition, not relation nor relativity, really, success in this day means equity, certainly not equality.
There we go.

I would go on more about this, but i wish to do so in my blog, HA HA, however, I have to plug, that mine is private.
Duality to the equity, in deed, in debt.

Thanks again.
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Whistwisth wrote:
thedoc wrote: Those who sincerely wish to present meaning or information to others are rare, and many times those who have some meaning or information are very close with it, and usually require a fee.
This is a very well received post, thank you for sharing it with us.

Upon its end, I had the thought, a reminder from today, that I had had a few enjoyable, I think uniquely relate-able thoughts, that would have translated to others well, I would venture a fancy. If I could recall them...

Then I was reminded of something a contact had just said, that had been told to them, 'you think too much', I had some varying thoughts upon this, but in relation et retaliation to this post of yours;
I have to say, it takes time to think, more so, to experience, enough to illicit uniquely translatable thoughts, more so, to translate in your own language and art and skill...it all takes time and effort, it all takes energy and desire or Requirement.

Now I do agree with you, that there ought be more art and what that therein and what is out there, that needs to be ... considered.
They are doing it, be sure of this, however...we need to have the will and wish to dig for it.
Success is simply a matter of the right person at the right time with the right endorsement that triggers a payment for the privilege.
But that being said, I do agree with you, more so about the fact that there more so an aversion to sharing ones ideas, because of the ... idiocy et sanity that has them think that these ideas and thoughts and experiences will be 'stolen'. Which can only mean one thing, not that another will be sharing in their ideals and proposals and Philosophies, but that someone else will get paid for it and they will miss out on that pay check, tick, gold star, brownie point.
Recognition. More so now, Fame, if it can be bought and sold, a can of soup is what it is condensed into...individuality looking for approval...what a contra-drama that tis, modernity tisk tisk tisk 15 minutes, only got one life, fix fax fux...it all about now
It all so much a matter of competition, not relation nor relativity, really, success in this day means equity, certainly not equality.
There we go.

I would go on more about this, but i wish to do so in my blog, HA HA, however, I have to plug, that mine is private.
Duality to the equity, in deed, in debt.

Thanks again.

There is another little story that I rememberted along these lines but I will need to set the stage, because I do not know how much the reader may know about the subject. It is about joining metals to make some object, in particular, 'soldering'. Aluminum is difficult to solder because it oxidizes very quickly and the oxide tends to protect the metal from further oxidation and bonding to other metals. I heard about a man who had developed a very effective 'flux' that allowed him to easily solder aluminum, but he refused to share the information, saying he was going to "take the secret with him to the grave". To me it sounded very selfish, he didn't even want to use the knowledge to make himself wealthy. Hopefully this is a rare attitude for people to take, freely shareing information is good, profiting from knowledge is fair, but keeping it to yourself for no good reason is, to me, a low point in human existance.