The Democrat Party Hates America

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Re: The Democrat Party Hates America

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:30 am
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:20 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:12 am
Did you read anything I wrote?

You cut it all out, made absolutely no comment on all I said about America, and then added things I certainly did not say. Why did you do that? :?
I'm not doing anything you don't do also. ¯\_(*_*)_/¯
In my responses, I always elect what's worthy of being quoted on the basis that I intend to remark on it. If I don't include something, it's always still in the original message; and I don't quote it only because I either agree with it already, or don't see it as requiring a comment from me, for some other reason (if it's not asking for any response from me, for example, or in more rare cases, when it's embarassing to the speaker or actually not intelligent enough to require any comment at all. In these latter, I try to avoid humiliating the speaker, not because I wish to misrepresent the comment).

But I made a substantial answer to your question of what one should do, one I believe is apt and true if one is desiring to eliminate war. And you completely ignored it.

So no, you're not doing what I do.

Do you have anything to say about the solution I proposed?
Yes. You are correct. I see my mistake.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:33 am
And? Do you have a comment?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:40 am
No. You are right. My act is not together. I can't solve the war. I can't ask anyone else to stop the war.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:43 am
No. You are right. My act is not together. I can't solve the war. I can't ask anyone else to stop the war.
It's not about you personally, Gary...it's about America. You're an American, so sure, you have a stake in it; but it's not your fault in some kind of exclusive way, or perhaps at all. It's a function of the fact that America itself has slid badly on this; and you, as an American voter, have a place in speaking out for it to be corrected.

Like I say, I like Americans. But one of the things for which Americans get resented overseas is for speaking about other nations while not having their own house in order. If America wants to lead the world to do the right thing, it has to start by doing the right thing itself. If it wants to advocate for democracy, it darn well had better make sure its own democracy is secure at home. If it wants to fight corrupt states, it had better make sure it's not encouraging corruption at home. And if it wants to lecture other countries about human rights and race relations, it has one heck of a long way to go.

Moral leadership is by example. If America were to show the world an example of generosity, wealth, security, tolerance, healing, democratic integrity, moral uprightness and intellectual and technological innovation, then that would be the greatest way to convince other nations that war is a waste of time, and going the American way was the best way. But there really isn't another way that's not going to involve killing a lot of people while allowing corruption to continue at home.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:06 am
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:43 am

It's not about you personally, Gary...it's about America. You're an American, so sure, you have a stake in it; but it's not your fault in some kind of exclusive way, or perhaps at all. It's a function of the fact that America itself has slid badly on this; and you, as an American voter, have a place in speaking out for it to be corrected.

Like I say, I like Americans. But one of the things for which Americans get resented overseas is for speaking about other nations while not having their own house in order. If America wants to lead the world to do the right thing, it has to start by doing the right thing itself. If it wants to advocate for democracy, it darn well had better make sure its own democracy is secure at home. If it wants to fight corrupt states, it had better make sure it's not encouraging corruption at home. And if it wants to lecture other countries about human rights and race relations, it has one heck of a long way to go.

Moral leadership is by example. If America were to show the world an example of generosity, wealth, security, tolerance, healing, democratic integrity, moral uprightness and intellectual and technological innovation, then that would be the greatest way to convince other nations that war is a waste of time, and going the American way was the best way. But there really isn't another way that's not going to involve killing a lot of people while allowing corruption to continue at home.
I'm an American citizen. I don't want to see my country ripped apart. Is that what is going to happen?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:09 am I'm an American citizen. I don't want to see my country ripped apart. Is that what is going to happen?
That depends. Americans have been ripped apart before...remember that thing they call the Civil War? In some ways, America is still living it. It's less painful than it once was, but it's still there.

But America survived its own inception, and it survived 1812, and it survived not only its Civil War but Reconstruction and then its Civil Rights fight, and the Kennedy assassination, and Watergate, and the two World Wars plus the Cold War, Vietnam, Korea, Afghanistan, 9-11...it's got some resilience. But it's not infinite. No country's is. What it does now is going to determine how long it lasts.

Nobody can guarantee the future of any country. But those that do the right thing are likely to last much longer than those who don't. So it's time to get about being America the Good, instead of America the Country Trying To Tell Everybody Else What's Good For Them.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:05 am
Flannel Jesus wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:46 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:33 pm

Sorry to get frustrated with you "Jesus". But I don't have all the answers, especially to really, really stupid questions.
I really don't think it's fair to call it a stupid question. If you make a law without any way to enforce it, then... wtf is the law for? Take the question seriously and think about it. How would it be enforced?
If you can't enforce something that needs to be enforced, should you therefore leave it legal? And what counts as "enforcement"?
Those are all wonderful questions you should be asking yourself about the idea you proposed.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:09 am I'm an American citizen.
You’re a citizen of the US? How could you not know the truths that IC so generously shared? Been checked out for awhile?

One possibility is that you do know these truths and are simply playing Devil’s Advocate to elicit an expansion of ideas from another, in a way that you calculate to be effective, and it was. Playing Socrates, to be generous.

Another possibility is that you really are clueless, and at your age, for shame. Perhaps you got lost somewhere in theory. Chomping on too much Chompsky stunted your view. There are other possibilities … blood sugar, chemical imbalance, etc.

Whatever possibility that applies is irrelevant because IC did the Christian thing. He springboarded off your displays of ignorance into the positive action of objectively educating you, without malice and in the face of, well, whatever was motivating your questions, questions which you should know the answer to as an American citizen. Who can you blame for your ignorance but you?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:34 pm Who the fuck names themselves "Jesus" anyway? If I had had a kid should I have named him or her "God"?
Many, many people are named Jesus. It's probable that the parents who name their children Jesus view the name differently than you do.

It sounds like you hold so much reverence for the name that you think mere mortals should not be using it, and so with foul language you dispense disrespect in the same breath as reverence.

Sounds like you're falling off the fence, onto the religious side. Are you worthy of religion, because as an enthusiastic newbie who has bypassed humility you appear to still be dispensing judgement on others, although I may be wrong in the face of Devil's Advocacy.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

If u are going to be a christian, gary, don't be the passive follower type who wears plaid izod shirts to sunday church cookouts.

Instead be the hardcore depressive, resigned and stoic type like Pascal or Kierkegaard. Or the over zealous eccentric soul savin lion of god type.

The point is, that religion is so bizarre it would be no less appropriate to become a total loon if it is done well and with style. Which ever way u go. U can go infinitely inward and agonize in any philosophical writing u do or u can be like the snake handlers and TV evengelists. Or start a cult like your homeboy Karesh did.

Just don't be a run-of-the-mill christian please. And when u talk about Christianity, have a totally new, unique and creepy interpretation of stuff in the bible that makes weird connections in the minds of your followers.

What I'm saying is all this is apropos for the religion. How can anything u do be any more bizarre than the bible and religion already are? See whuddum sayin? Go with that shit, bro.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

In other words if u don't identify as a second Jesus or a prophet or even a fuckin reincarnated queen of Sheba, I'm not interested in anything u say about Christianity becuz I've heard it before.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

promethean75 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:19 pm In other words if u don't identify as a second Jesus or a prophet or even a fuckin reincarnated queen of Sheba, I'm not interested in anything u say about Christianity becuz I've heard it before.
I'm certainly not Jesus. I don't know if I'm a "prophet" or not. What is a "prophet"?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:41 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:34 pm Who the fuck names themselves "Jesus" anyway? If I had had a kid should I have named him or her "God"?
Many, many people are named Jesus. It's probable that the parents who name their children Jesus view the name differently than you do.

It sounds like you hold so much reverence for the name that you think mere mortals should not be using it, and so with foul language you dispense disrespect in the same breath as reverence.

Sounds like you're falling off the fence, onto the religious side. Are you worthy of religion, because as an enthusiastic newbie who has bypassed humility you appear to still be dispensing judgement on others, although I may be wrong in the face of Devil's Advocacy.
Well, Congress is "dispensing judgement" on people. Is Congress dispensing "good" judgement or is Congress dispensing bad judgement?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:10 am
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:09 am I'm an American citizen.
You’re a citizen of the US? How could you not know the truths that IC so generously shared? Been checked out for awhile?

One possibility is that you do know these truths and are simply playing Devil’s Advocate to elicit an expansion of ideas from another, in a way that you calculate to be effective, and it was. Playing Socrates, to be generous.

Another possibility is that you really are clueless, and at your age, for shame. Perhaps you got lost somewhere in theory. Chomping on too much Chompsky stunted your view. There are other possibilities … blood sugar, chemical imbalance, etc.

Whatever possibility that applies is irrelevant because IC did the Christian thing. He springboarded off your displays of ignorance into the positive action of objectively educating you, without malice and in the face of, well, whatever was motivating your questions, questions which you should know the answer to as an American citizen. Who can you blame for your ignorance but you?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Walker wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:54 am The Leftists are busy breaking laws, ignoring laws, and corrupting the balance of power designed into the constitution.
Certainly seems true to me and worthy of conversation.

You didn’t however take into consideration or respond to the “constructive criticism” I offered. It revolves around Neoconservative machinations over approximately 40 years.