So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: My Metaphysics

Post by Dontaskme »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:12 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:05 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:19 pm👍
No one want's to hang out with a vampire, it's too draining for them. Keep your death to yourself, and muddle through eternity in private because there is no escape from it, for you or anything, just don't tell people this open secret, it'll scare them all away from you, they will want to detain you for your own sanity, as a mental health victim, they will not understand that you are perfectly ok with the idea of dying.

Or just ignore this muddled message, in favor of your own. There's always available a place of perfect peace, but no one want's to hang out there, hardly ever at all, these days, in the days when this was being written. ⛔
☹️🙃👍
LOL

''And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are. “I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.''

Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:19 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:12 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:05 pm

No one want's to hang out with a vampire, it's too draining for them. Keep your death to yourself, and muddle through eternity in private because there is no escape from it, for you or anything, just don't tell people this open secret, it'll scare them all away from you, they will want to detain you for your own sanity, as a mental health victim, they will not understand that you are perfectly ok with the idea of dying.

Or just ignore this muddled message, in favor of your own. There's always available a place of perfect peace, but no one want's to hang out there, hardly ever at all, these days, in the days when this was being written. ⛔
☹️🙃👍
LOL

''And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are. “I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.''

Yes. We have an accord. My second-ever car was a Honda Accord. So this is also not my first time having an accord. :D
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

I like the Addams family better. But I can't find a good GIF for it.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Maybe this one?

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

LOL Gary.

I understand you are simply vexing and venting here. I do respect this. I do the same pretty much, so I have no business interferring with your prerogative to express your world views the way you do. I'm sorry for interferring, really I am.

I'm too honest, I have a love / hate relationship with life. It's great when it's great, and it's awful when it's awful. Sometimes I just want to be asleep forever, but I know I can't because I always wake-up. Sometimes I even dread going to sleep, knowing I have to wake-up again. I understand that life is eternal and that there is no escape from a life that cannot be created or destroyed. I understand my life is just a dream, one of many that will appear indefinitely in many ways, shapes, and forms.

I have been told that I have multiple personalities, but I welcome them all, like for example: nerd, dickhead, twat, liar, nut-job, bipolar, aspergers, autistic, insane, retarted, idiot, misanthrope, nihilist, nondualist, antinatalist, drama queen, crazy old bat, just to name a few....but there are many more I could mention, some really surprising ones, but those surprising ones evoke jealousy, so I tend not to announce those too often. I also understand that none of the labels I willingly attach to myself is who I am at my deep core of being, and that all the labels are just roles I am playing in this, the most greatest and most tragic show on earth. This ultimate divine comedy for clowns everywhere...LOL... I laugh at my life, else I cry, or I do both at the same time uncontrollably.

Vent over.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:38 am LOL Gary.

I understand you are simply vexing and venting here. I do respect this. I do the same pretty much, so I have no business interferring with your prerogative to express your world views the way you do. I'm sorry for interferring, really I am.

I'm too honest, I have a love / hate relationship with life. It's great when it's great, and it's awful when it's awful. Sometimes I just want to be asleep forever, but I know I can't because I always wake-up. Sometimes I even dread going to sleep, knowing I have to wake-up again. I understand that life is eternal and that there is no escape from a life that cannot be created or destroyed. I understand my life is just a dream, one of many that will appear indefinitely in many ways, shapes, and forms.

I have been told that I have multiple personalities, but I welcome them all, like for example: nerd, dickhead, twat, liar, nut-job, bipolar, aspergers, autistic, insane, retarted, idiot, misanthrope, nihilist, nondualist, antinatalist, drama queen, crazy old bat, just to name a few....but there are many more I could mention, some really surprising ones, but those surprising ones evoke jealousy, so I tend not to announce those too often. I also understand that none of the labels I willingly attach to myself is who I am at my deep core of being, and that all the labels are just roles I am playing in this, the most greatest and most tragic show on earth. This ultimate divine comedy for clowns everywhere...LOL... I laugh at my life, else I cry, or I do both at the same time uncontrollably.

Vent over.
Being unenvied to whatever extent has given me, some greater freedom of expression. To be honest, I'd be venting and complaining regardless of how admirable or not my life is. But up to a point I value my freedom of expression more than my social status. It could be said that I am 'life-negating' it could be said that I am 'pessimistic'. It could also be said that I have 'accepted' some things that others have a more difficult time accepting or even stubbornly refuse to accept. It could be said that there are some things I will not accept that others will.

Epictetus has a few aphorisms in his "Handbook" that point to a negative correlation between social status and freedom of expression. He lived in the Roman Empire (was once even a slave). To whatever extent the indigent are 'wealthiest' when it comes to freedom of expression. Or perhaps it could even be said that those who express themselves most freely tend toward indigence. It seems that there are always tradeoffs in life. One can 'have it all' if one lives on his or her own island, but as soon as others become involved difference becomes an economy of its own. Extremism and moderation are as much in opposition to each other as anything else is.

¯\_(*_*)_/¯
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:21 pm
Being unenvied to whatever extent has given me, some greater freedom of expression. To be honest, I'd be venting and complaining regardless of how admirable or not my life is. But up to a point I value my freedom of expression more than my social status. It could be said that I am 'life-negating' it could be said that I am 'pessimistic'. It could also be said that I have 'accepted' some things that others have a more difficult time accepting or even stubbornly refuse to accept. It could be said that there are some things I will not accept that others will.

Epictetus has a few aphorisms in his "Handbook" that point to a negative correlation between social status and freedom of expression. He lived in the Roman Empire (was once even a slave). To whatever extent the indigent are 'wealthiest' when it comes to freedom of expression. Or perhaps it could even be said that those who express themselves most freely tend toward indigence. It seems that there are always tradeoffs in life. One can 'have it all' if one lives on his or her own island, but as soon as others become involved difference becomes an economy of its own. Extremism and moderation are as much in opposition to each other as anything else is.

¯\_(*_*)_/¯
Thanks for your feedback.

In my opinion, I have come to the idea that reality is totally unknowable, and that it's obvious to me, that no one has ever been alive before, so no one really knows what the heck this is, or what the heck they are doing here, or why, or how they are here. And that people are just muddling through what can only be described as an unsolvable mystery, making our presence here all the more impossible to ever know this reality. It's like how on earth does anyone possibly know how they can just out of the blue, just suddenly pop aware, from what can only be described as non-existence? I mean, how does that even make any sense, how can this popping aware from nothing, ever be known, and how will it be known, it simply cannot. IMO

Seriously, you've never existed for like ever, but then you just simply pop into existence from nothing, and be aware of yourself as a living entity. Personally, my mind just completely boggles at that, it blows my mind to think that I can just suddenly out of nothingness, pop aware.

I don't care what theories or stories other people come up with to solve this mystery, I personally think it's all conjecture and speculation as to what is going on, and that in truth, in reality, no one has the foggiest idea what's going on, they only imagine they do, by coming up with all sorts of ideas and stories about it.

Religion was born out of this hunger to know the truth of life, something had to know it, something just had to be responsible for it. Not-knowing was just totally unacceptable. This had to be known, and that is why humans invented a KNOWER, that goes by the name God.

Personally, I just own up and surrender to the fact that we are unknowable. And that all we can do is imagine all sorts of stories about what this can be, and why, it's like we have to make up a purpose and a meaning, and a reason, and most of all, we have to base our life as if it has a plan running through it, and that this planner knows exactly what it is doing and why.

Peronally, I think that is just wishful thinking. In reality, there is nothing known about all this.

Another thing that crossed my mind is the pain issue. Sentient nervous systems experience pain, and this pain experience is extremely unpleasant. That's why most of us use expression in the form of venting and vexing, in the hope of trying to figure out and get our heads around the horror of knowing that this pain is going to be an eternal experience, and that is something we have to understand is never going to go away. How do we deal with that, is by constantly trying to understand it, by whatever method available, which is usually by letting off the pent up stress that life causes every creature endowed with a sentient nervous system. This pain we have to endure forever.

End of rant/vent/ vex.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Gary..how can we know anything about origins of somethings as opposed to there being absolutely nothing at all, except what we imagine to know?

All we can do is imagine we've always forever existed, how, because if we know we exist now, then we must have always existed, as we couldn't possibly know non-existence, so it's obvious, only existence can be known, so this existence must be eternally recurring.

So how on earth can what has no beginning or ending ever be known to have started, this doesn't make any rational sense to me.

It only informs me that what I think myself to be, something that started and will end, is pure illusion.

Another thing ocurrs to me is that maybe why so many people feel lonely and depressed, because they have no idea what is happening, why they are here, why they are alive, and then that is made worse with having to endure the pain issue, it therefore could be seen as all hopelessly absurd and pointless.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

I'm seeing some good, solid pessimism, epistemological nihilism and rhetorical sophistry in this thread recently. good stuff guys. you'll want to check out one of the original sophists 'gorgeous' Gorgias for tips on how to better develop your technique. He was like the Eminem of Greek philosophy at the time.

This wuz good, DAM. It's like a modern sitcom version of the opening argument of a debate event at a Greek symposium. You'd be slowly pacing in front of a group of friends on the couch or at a bar like in Cheers.

"In my opinion, I have come to the idea that reality is totally unknowable, and that it's obvious to me, that no one has ever been alive before, so no one really knows what the heck this is, or what the heck they are doing here, or why, or how they are here. And that people are just muddling through what can only be described as an unsolvable mystery..."
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

You guys should be drinking buddies; misery loves company.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

clearly u don't know what it's like to be in love with your sadness and despair... to relish in passionate self loathing, regret and disappointment... the soft and exhausted surrendering to a cosmic meaninglessness... a sullen withdrawal into the emptiness of being. it's exhilarating.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

promethean75 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:20 am clearly u don't know what it's like to be in love with your sadness and despair... to relish in passionate self loathing, regret and disappointment... the soft and exhausted surrendering to a cosmic meaninglessness... a sullen withdrawal into the emptiness of being. it's exhilarating.
...something you'd like to share there Prom??
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Wizard22 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:03 am You guys should be drinking buddies; misery loves company.
Oooh, another boring cliché, what a copy cat!

Thanks for reading. Misery does seem to attract followers. :lol:
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

promethean75 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:44 am I'm seeing some good, solid pessimism, epistemological nihilism and rhetorical sophistry in this thread recently. good stuff guys. you'll want to check out one of the original sophists 'gorgeous' Gorgias for tips on how to better develop your technique. He was like the Eminem of Greek philosophy at the time.

This wuz good, DAM. It's like a modern sitcom version of the opening argument of a debate event at a Greek symposium. You'd be slowly pacing in front of a group of friends on the couch or at a bar like in Cheers.

"In my opinion, I have come to the idea that reality is totally unknowable, and that it's obvious to me, that no one has ever been alive before, so no one really knows what the heck this is, or what the heck they are doing here, or why, or how they are here. And that people are just muddling through what can only be described as an unsolvable mystery..."
👍
LOL Prom.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

i mean if u wanna listen then yeah sure I've got something that's been bothering me.

yesterday I went into a Subway with a 12 inch sub for $6.99 coupon and i got the most expensive sub just to spite Subway. the thing is I didn't even want that sub... I just got it becuz it wuz the most expensive. i would have rather had the Italian spicy one.

i mean really is this what I'm becoming? a submarine sandwich swindler? what kind of character does that reflect in a person? what are my fuckin values or do I even have any?