Knowledge is EVIL

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: Knowledge is EVIL

Post by Skepdick »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:01 pm Lets just remind ourselves what I said. I said ..

Choice is for the born, it's the desire to be born as and through the knowledge of yourself which is more desire.
If you had the choice to be born or not which choice would you choose?

What is comical about that?
I didn't say it's comical. I said it's a non-sequitur to "Knowledge is EVIL. Having knowledge ..is suffering, and suffering is evil incarnate which is felt by every living sentient human being".

What I said is that non-sequiturs are more effective in comedy than in problem-solving.
Last edited by Skepdick on Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:59 pm Solving suffering.
Yes I'm wanting to disscus the problem of suffering. What's that got to do with peddling or selling something?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:03 pm Yes I'm wanting to disscus the problem of suffering. What's that got to do with peddling or selling something?
If you wanted to discuss the "problem of suffering" why did you derail your own thread by talking about choice and rebirth?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:02 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:01 pm Lets just remind ourselves what I said. I said ..

Choice is for the born, it's the desire to be born as and through the knowledge of yourself which is more desire.
If you had the choice to be born or not which choice would you choose?

What is comical about that?
I didn't say it's comical. I said it's a non-sequitur to "Knowledge is EVIL. Having knowledge ..is suffering, and suffering is evil incarnate which is felt by every living sentient human being".

What I said is that non-sequiturs are more effective in comedy than in problem-solving.
Well I'm sorry but I just don't see it that way that you see it. I don't even know what the heck you are talking about when you say that non-sequiturs are more effective in comedy than in problem-solving.

My aim is to discuss the OP on why I believe Knowledge is Evil.

Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:07 pm My aim is to discuss the OP on why I believe Knowledge is Evil.
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:03 pm Yes I'm wanting to disscus the problem of suffering.
When you figure out what your actual aim is, let us know.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:05 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:03 pm Yes I'm wanting to disscus the problem of suffering. What's that got to do with peddling or selling something?
If you wanted to discuss the "problem of suffering" why did you derail your own thread by talking about choice and rebirth?
I didn't derail my thread at all. For me, the problem of suffering also requires an understanding of the one who is suffering and that's where the idea of choice and rebirth come into the equation.

I don't get why you seem to be making a big issue out of the way I want to direct my own thread. Is it a problem for you if I want to talk about the grass roots of why there is suffering in the first place, and to whom that suffering is apparently being felt?

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:08 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:07 pm My aim is to discuss the OP on why I believe Knowledge is Evil.
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:03 pm Yes I'm wanting to disscus the problem of suffering.
Okay. That's why I've started this thread.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:12 pm I don't get why you seem to be making a big issue out of the way I want to direct my own thread. Is it a problem for you if I want to talk about the grass roots of why there is suffering in the first place, and to whom that suffering is apparently being felt?
But you answered your speculative 'why' in the OP itself. Your answer was that "having knowledge is suffering". Which can be construed as "knowledge causes suffering that is why it's EVIL". And it cal also be construed as "without knowledge there would be no suffering".

And even "Without knowledge there would be no EVIL".
Last edited by Skepdick on Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:14 pm
So you are actually (currently, at this very moment) uncertain as to why you started your own thread?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:16 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:12 pm I don't get why you seem to be making a big issue out of the way I want to direct my own thread. Is it a problem for you if I want to talk about the grass roots of why there is suffering in the first place, and to whom that suffering is apparently being felt?
But you answered your speculative 'why' in the OP itself. Your answer was that "having knowledge is suffering". Which can be construed as "knowledge causes suffering that is why it's EVIL". And it cal also be construed as "without knowledge there would be no suffering".
Yes, what you replied to me, that's exactly right. That's what I want to discuss.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:19 pm Yes, what you replied to me, that's exactly right. That's what I want to discuss.
So then how about saying something like.... "Knowledge causes me suffering. Does anybody else experience this?"

But I am skeptical of your honesty at this point. Because You derailed this comment also:
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:26 pm
commonsense wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:24 pm
Ignorance is bliss. This has been shown by the correlation between years of education and incidence of depression.
You cannot be ignorant and yet claim to have knowledge. If you know you are born, then you cannot be ignorant of that fact.
Seems you can't decide what is causing you this suffering. Is it knowledge? Was it being born? Was it the knowledge of being born?

Who's the culprit?!?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:16 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:14 pm

So you are actually (currently, at this very moment) uncertain as to why you started your own thread?
No, not uncertain why I've started this thread, I know why I have started this thread.

I am uncertain that I have the problem of suffering all figured out, but I am not uncertain as to why I have started this thread.

Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:22 pm No, not uncertain why I've started this thread, I know why I have started this thread.

I am uncertain that I have the problem of suffering all figured out, but I am not uncertain as to why I have started this thread.
Well, ok. When I asked you to state the problem you said "suffering is unpleasant". So I am going to make another inference here...."Knowledge is EVIL. Knowledge is unpleasant.".

Are you not even remotely curious whether other people experience it that way? Or are you happy to assume that everybody suffers as a result of EVIL knowledge?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:21 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:19 pm Yes, what you replied to me, that's exactly right. That's what I want to discuss.
So then how about saying something like.... "Knowledge causes me suffering. Does anybody else experience this?"
Well I could say that I suppose, but I haven't yet. I can only say what comes out at the time which is usually in reference to the knowledge of what I am replying to.
Skepdick wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:21 pmBut I am skeptical of your honesty at this point. Because You derailed this comment also:
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:26 pm
commonsense wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:24 pm
Ignorance is bliss. This has been shown by the correlation between years of education and incidence of depression.
You cannot be ignorant and yet claim to have knowledge. If you know you are born, then you cannot be ignorant of that fact.
Seems you can't decide what is causing you this suffering. Is it knowledge? Was it being born? Was it the knowledge of being born?

Who's the culprit?!?
That's what I want to discuss, the culprit for evil and knowledge.

No derailing here,any such action is just all in your imagination, it's not coming from this one here.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:26 pm That's what I want to discuss, the culprit for evil and knowledge.
OK, you are making even less sense now. The title of this topic is "Knowledge is Evil". You are equating the two. You are claiming that they are materially equivalent.

Now you are drawing a distinction, you are saying "the culprit for evil and knowledge" (two distinct phenomena), you are NOT saying "the culprit for EVIL knowledge" (one distinct phenomenon).

You are most certainly alluding that both EVIL and knowledge have a common (unstated) cause.
Last edited by Skepdick on Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.