Should "Age" refrain from using UPPERCASE letters?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Are posts from Age easier to read and appear more intelligent when he refrains from using UPPERCASE?

YES
67%
NO
33%

Total votes: 9

Iwannaplato

Re: Should "Age" refrain from using UPPERCASE letters?

Post by Iwannaplato »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:04 am
Agent Smith wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:01 am He should look at alternatives or has he already? As far as I can tell, there's good reason to capitalize, provided one knows what one's tslking about.
Sure, there can be use to capitalising, just as there can be use to shouting. If you've seen that post of his on page 1 of this thread, you might see why some people think his pattern of capitalising is distractingly obnoxious. If someone shouted in the same pattern as he capitalises... they probably wouldn't be allowed out alone in public.
I found Age's capitalizing, and even more so his citation marks, quite irritating, when I first encountered them. This faded. I think they reduce clarity, especially his use of the latter. But I see this as a rather cosmetic criticism. Yes, it might be easier to read Age's posts and understand them if he was more parsimonious with capitalization and citation marks. But, I think the core dynamic problem remains. I don't read his posts any more and it's not for what I am calling here cosmetic reasons.

These habits of his also seem not randomly put on top of his approach, but rather as connected to and of a kind of other facets of this communication.

Age demands clarification. That's probably useful for some people, even at his extreme level of demand. There's something to be learned from interacting with Age, if it's probably better as a short-term course than a long-term one for most people.

There's often this sifting through exchanges with people online to try to figure out 1) what is this person on about? and 2) can I learn anything more from this person?

It's seems good to me that people brought up their irritation. This gives him a chance to learn something about his communication and decide whether to change or not. But after that, there's always the foe (ignore) function.

And if you find the dialogue useful, one could think of it as dealing with a member of another culture. The capital letters are like the clicks in the San language in Africa.

I got to know my wife partially on the phone. In her language/culture there is this sharp intake of breath that sounds to me like terror but actually is a special way of saying 'yes.'

I learned, after some hilariously convoluted conversations, that she wasn't reacting in terror to something - she had no idea what I was talking about for quite a while - and now I am no longer 'triggered'. In fact I find it charming. I've been known to do it myself, of course, now I live where they use it.

I think if you find the exchange valuable with Age, it will stop 'sounding' like he is yelling.

If you don't find the exchange valuable, well it's probably mostly for other reasons.

I'm oddly fond of Age, which is rare for someone I don't want to read anymore. I think it'd be a shame if he normalized. I hope, in the long run, he keeps his percentage of capital letters at the same level, but perhaps uses them more clearly.

The citation marks. I don't see those mentioned by others much, if at all.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:34 pm The citation marks. I don't see those mentioned by others much, if at all.
I think they're equally annoying personally. "You" "humans" "think" you "exist". They're very mocking. They don't convey any meaning behind mocking, that I can see

If he lost the caps and quoted instead, that would be very minimal improvement
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:44 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:34 pm The citation marks. I don't see those mentioned by others much, if at all.
I think they're equally annoying personally. "You" "humans" "think" you "exist". They're very mocking. They don't convey any meaning behind mocking, that I can see

Well, in his defense, it seems to me he's probably been through some bumps in the road himself. If he's still young, then he has a long journey ahead of him and it won't be easy. If he's an adult himself, then he's at least made it through this far. If it's possible for a person to change, then hopefully that will happen and the road ahead will be something worth traveling.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:07 pm

Well, in his defense, it seems to me he's probably been through some bumps in the road himself. If he's still young, then he has a long journey ahead of him and it won't be easy. If he's an adult himself, then he's at least made it through this far. If it's possible for a person to change, then hopefully that will happen and the road ahead will be something worth traveling.
Sure, I think this thread was made to encourage him to change. He seems to think it's more virtuous in some way to stay the same. That's fine, it's not a crime, just annoying.

Post by Age »

Agent Smith wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:54 am Who is Age? Why does s/he use uppercase letter? Why should he be prohibited from doing so?
GREAT QUESTIONS.

Post by Age »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:52 am
Agent Smith wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:54 am Who is Age? Why does s/he use uppercase letter? Why should he be prohibited from doing so?
Age is the poster above you, and if you go back to the first page of this thread, I believe he authored the third or fourth post. In that third or fourth post you can see an example of the type of capitalising that annoys people.

I don't know that the thread title is about prohibition so much as it is about a suggestion, for age himself. There's virtually no possibility that his posting style will get him moderated in any sense, any I don't necessarily think it should.

Why does he do it? Fantastic question. He's alluded multiple times to this idea that he writes that way for the future generations he believes are going to read his words here. He thinks that he's going to bring about some age of enlightenment and his future disciples will scour the internet for his writings, and this forum itself presumably will be read to glean enlightened ideas from his posts. He says he posts in this deliberately annoying way to prove a point about the people in this forum, or people in general - his future readers will perceive that point, and will consider age's interactions on this forum as a brilliant intellectual victory for age and a humiliating defeat for everyone who says "please just write normally".
LOL and here we have ANOTHER PRIME EXAMPLE of WHY it is ALWAYS BETTER to OBTAIN and GAIN ACTUAL CLARITY BEFORE one EVER makes AN ASSUMPTION.

The absolutely Wrong ASSUMPTIONS here could NOT PROVIDE MORE PROOF of WHY it is ALWAYS MAKES SENSE to find out what the ACTUAL Truth IS, before expressing just 'that' what you ASSUME, or BELIEVE, is true.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Alas, I have suffered another humiliating defeat. My soul is reaching in agony into the future, as I can feel the future disciples of Age laughing at my folly. Oh how foolish am I

Post by Age »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:04 am
Agent Smith wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:01 am He should look at alternatives or has he already? As far as I can tell, there's good reason to capitalize, provided one knows what one's tslking about.
Sure, there can be use to capitalising, just as there can be use to shouting.
What do you say is the use for 'shouting'?

And is there absolutely ANY use for so-called 'shouting' in written words?

If yes, then what are they, EXACTLY?
Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:04 am If you've seen that post of his on page 1 of this thread, you might see why some people think his pattern of capitalising is distractingly obnoxious. If someone shouted in the same pattern as he capitalises... they probably wouldn't be allowed out alone in public.
But what has 'shouting' got to do with 'me' or with absolutely ANY 'thing' I write and say here?

Post by Age »

Besides 'ALL you can see' here being just downright False AND Wrong and me also NEVER saying ANY thing like what you did here, I do NOT even use citation marks NOR even punctuate like you did here.
Flannel Jesus wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:44 pm If he lost the caps and quoted instead, that would be very minimal improvement

Post by Age »

What do you mean by, IF it is POSSIBLE for a person to change?

OF COURSE people CAN change. And, in Fact, it is IMPOSSIBLE to NOT change.

Post by Age »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:13 am Alas, I have suffered another humiliating defeat. My soul is reaching in agony into the future, as I can feel the future disciples of Age laughing at my folly. Oh how foolish am I
AGAIN.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Sorry master
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:55 am

What do you mean by, IF it is POSSIBLE for a person to change?

OF COURSE people CAN change. And, in Fact, it is IMPOSSIBLE to NOT change.
Really? Is it easy for you to change your writing style? If so, what prevents you from doing so? Clearly, you're getting on a lot of people's nerves. You don't seem to care. I'm kind of the same. It's difficult to change who we are at our core.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by Age »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:07 pm Sorry master
If you sought out CLARITY, FIRST, then you would NOT have made ANOTHER Wrong ASSUMPTION here, ONCE AGAIN.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

I'm sorry master