Coronavirus Craziness

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: again, John Hopkins 4-6-20

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:01 am Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases

Total Confirmed: 1,341,907

Total Deaths: 74,476

Total Recovered: 276,259
So, let me explain this to you in context.

Heart disease has been with us, humans, since humans had hearts. Hundreds of thousands of years.
Heart disease is uniformly distributed across the human population of 8 billion people on the planet.
Heart disease is the world's No.1 killer.
Heart disease has held the "gold medal" for killing humans for a few decades, maybe centuries.

Heart disease is also uniformly distributed across citizens of the USA.
Heart disease also holds the "gold medal' for killing humans in the USA with a "high score" of ± 1700 corpses a day.

COVID-19 is not uniformly distributed across the USA. It's the new kid on the block -it only arrived in the USA a month ago.
In that month it has "only" infected 0.1% of the USA population, but it's "high score" is already at ±1300 bodies a day - that's a "bronze medal".

By the end of the week it's going to claim the "gold medal" all while having infected less than 1% of the USA population.

Imagine what the body count would be like if when it infects 20%; or 50%; or 85% of the USA population.

To aggregate the data globally is a level of obscurantism that's either incredibly ignorant or outright immoral.
FlashDangerpants

Re: Coronavirus Craziness

Post by FlashDangerpants »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:46 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:18 am Well I suppose when you live in a tiny little backblock where no one leaves and no one goes to (and the mayor is called Spanky) then it's hardly surprising you won't have a problem (nice accent though).
I can't think why it's called the 'UNITED' States of America :?
None of which has diddly to do with the topic(s).

And: we have modern, personal, transportation here in the backblock: we get out plenty.
Also: Ample Parking Day or Night, people spouting, "Howdy, Neighbor"?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:29 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:18 am Well I suppose when you live in a tiny little backblock where no one leaves and no one goes to (and the mayor is called Spanky) then it's hardly surprising you won't have a problem (nice accent though).

And: we have modern, personal, transportation here in the backblock: we get out plenty.
You’re describing the Mid West, not TX.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Skepdick wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:38 pm
henry quirk wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:01 am Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases

Total Confirmed: 1,341,907

Total Deaths: 74,476

Total Recovered: 276,259
So, let me explain this to you in context.

Heart disease has been with us, humans, since humans had hearts. Hundreds of thousands of years.
Heart disease is uniformly distributed across the human population of 8 billion people on the planet.
Heart disease is the world's No.1 killer.
Heart disease has held the "gold medal" for killing humans for a few decades, maybe centuries.

Heart disease is also uniformly distributed across citizens of the USA.
Heart disease also holds the "gold medal' for killing humans in the USA with a "high score" of ± 1700 corpses a day.

COVID-19 is not uniformly distributed across the USA. It's the new kid on the block -it only arrived in the USA a month ago.
In that month it has "only" infected 0.1% of the USA population, but it's "high score" is already at ±1300 bodies a day - that's a "bronze medal".

By the end of the week it's going to claim the "gold medal" all while having infected less than 1% of the USA population.

Imagine what the body count would be like if when it infects 20%; or 50%; or 85% of the USA population.

To aggregate the data globally is a level of obscurantism that's either incredibly ignorant or outright immoral.
sez you
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:29 pm

:thumbsup:
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:33 pm sez you
Not me - your gubbermint.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... in-us.html

Total deaths: 12,064 - that's another 1828 since yesterday.

Congratulations! COVID-19 now the top cause of death in the USA.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Not me - your gubbermint.

In case you haven't noticed: I haven't commented on gov response and I haven't used gov numbers (cuz I don't give a crap about either).

Congratulations! COVID-19 now the top cause of death in the USA.

Meaningless, arbitrary figure skewed by incomplete data and agenda.

Hype it as you like: I'll stick with the globals.

'nuff said, to you, on this.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:32 pm Meaningless, arbitrary figure skewed by incomplete data and agenda.
1828 is not a "meaningless arbitrary figure" - it corresponds to the number of corpses in the last 24 hours.
henry quirk wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:32 pm Hype it as you like: I'll stick with the globals.
If have a change of heart and decide to become less ignorant, read up on variance.
henry quirk wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:32 pm 'nuff said, to you, on this.
The less you say - the better off we all are.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Don't humans get their knickers in a twist when they are forced to be on the receiving end of natural selection and nature's eugenics? OMG. A virus that kills the old and immune compromised. How EXTRAORDINARY!
Since when did humans give a flying fuck about other humans anyway (apart from their own immediate family)? All the phoniness and virtue-signalling is getting a bit nauseating. Any person who calls soldiers 'heroes' and gets all dewy-eyed at the mention of the military is not a person who gives a rat's arse about other human beings.
vegetariantaxidermy

Skepdick wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:59 pm
henry quirk wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:32 pm Meaningless, arbitrary figure skewed by incomplete data and agenda.
1828 is not a "meaningless arbitrary figure" - it corresponds to the number of corpses in the last 24 hours.
henry quirk wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:32 pm Hype it as you like: I'll stick with the globals.
If have a change of heart and decide to become less ignorant, read up on variance.
henry quirk wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:32 pm 'nuff said, to you, on this.
The less you say - the better off we all are.
It's the fine detail that counts (of which there is none). How many of those people would have soon been part of a 'different' cause of death statistic? eg. cardiovascular disease is by far the leading cause of death in the US. Coronavirus is known to affect the heart and liver. If you already have arteries that are clogged up from years of McDonalds then of course it's going to kill you--but it will be showing statistically as another corona death.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:38 pm How many of those people would have soon been part of a 'different' cause of death statistic?
Judging by the overflowing morgues in Spain and Italy - none.

The actual number of dead bodies is higher - that's not a statistical claim.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

How many of those people would have soon been part of a 'different' cause of death statistic?

Yep. Robbin' Peter to pay Paul (deflatin' one stat to inflate another).
vegetariantaxidermy

Skepdick wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:43 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:38 pm How many of those people would have soon been part of a 'different' cause of death statistic?
Judging by the overflowing morgues in Spain and Italy - none.

The actual number of dead bodies is higher - that's not a statistical claim.
And the majority of those deaths BY A HUGE MARGIN are the elderly, and the elderly nearly always have underlying health conditions.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/110 ... -in-italy/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/110 ... ain-march/

These are just facts. Nature doesn't give a flying fuck about human concerns and hypocrisy. You can't argue with nature and you can't argue with death.

What happens when the next virus comes along and it targets the young and apparently healthy? Will we be shutting down the planet again for them? For some reason I doubt it.

I don't think this is necessarily about 'saving' people--it's more about making sure that health systems don't get overwhelmed and collapse under the weight of old people (who take up a very large portion of it already). We are probably all going to get it eventually. They are just trying to slow it down a bit until a vaccine is developed.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:17 pm How many of those people would have soon been part of a 'different' cause of death statistic?

Which statistics was deflated to make the morgues overflow?
vegetariantaxidermy

Skepdick wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:01 pm
henry quirk wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:17 pm How many of those people would have soon been part of a 'different' cause of death statistic?

Which statistics was deflated to make the morgues overflow?
And the really awful thing is that the minuscule number of young and supposedly healthy people who die from it will die even if a vaccine is discovered in the next few months, because the FIRST in line for the vaccine will be the 'most vulnerable' and that means that the elderly will be the first to get it.
I wonder how a parent of a healthy young victim will feel to learn that their 90 year old neighbour is well protected from it.