Let's make philosophy fun.

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: Let's make philosophy fun.

Post by Dontaskme »

simplicity wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:47 pm
If you wish to tap into the non-intellectual, then you must sacrifice your ego, your 'self.' There is no other way
Dear I don't Know-it-all.

Just so you know...There's no such intellect as a non-existing intellect to tap into.

I tried to sacrifice my self/aka ego once, but it was hopeless, it was like a rubber ball, it just kept on bouncing right back to me. Bouncy Bouncy. Rumpy Pumpy. Living an ordinary life. Yes, let it go, let it all go, just scream if you want to, especially during orgasm.
( No comment-tarry though, TMI and all, but if you cannot keep it in place, just let it go. Let those juices flow )

We're just ordinary people, living ordinary lives. Tom is busy tomming, and Dick is busy dicking, and that is why it's Harry I want to marry. :lol:
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Atla wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:34 pm
simplicity wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:18 pm
Atla wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:08 pm
Did you find any new major insights in the non-intellectual that can be expressed in language?
Insights made from meditation practice are derived from seeing things as close to what they are as is possible [accounting for your built-in perceptual filters]. So everything you perceive is an insight, but it is normal to people who can keep a fairly clear mind.

Initially, many people might suggest that "understanding" that you cannot understand anything becomes quite apparent. This greatly aids in the constant needs to bring up the little voice in one's head to provide analysis. After a while, you just let it go and realize that life makes a great deal more sense and goes a hell of a lot better just allowing it all to come and go [without commentary].
Sure, but did you find any new major insights in the non-intellectual that can be expressed in language?
Are you trying to be funny or is this a serious question?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

simplicity wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:18 pm
Atla wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:08 pm
simplicity wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:47 pm That's all very nice, but it's simply an intellectual attempt at understanding Reality...which is impossible.

If you wish to tap into the non-intellectual, then you must sacrifice your ego, your 'self.' There is no other way, so telling me what contentment means to you personally is not going to help. All of these words are simply pointing...the words are empty. Do you understand?
Did you find any new major insights in the non-intellectual that can be expressed in language?
Insights made from meditation practice are derived from seeing things as close to what they are as is possible [accounting for your built-in perceptual filters]. So everything you perceive is an insight, but it is normal to people who can keep a fairly clear mind.

Initially, many people might suggest that "understanding" that you cannot understand anything becomes quite apparent. This greatly aids in the constant needs to bring up the little voice in one's head to provide analysis. After a while, you just let it go and realize that life makes a great deal more sense and goes a hell of a lot better just allowing it all to come and go [without commentary].
sometimes insights depends on who's holding the rifle...

-Imp
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

simplicity wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:12 pm
Are you trying to be funny or is this a serious question?
Are we having fun yet?

Atla

Post by Atla »

simplicity wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:12 pm Are you trying to be funny or is this a serious question?
Are you?
I'm asking that after 30 years of meditation, did you find any new major insights in the non-intellectual, that can be expressed in language? Something not commonly known, something very surprising about the world, about reality, about existence. That kind of thing.

We've heard about meditation before, you're on a philosophy forum. Many of us have dabbled in it too.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

simplicity wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:18 pm After a while, you just let it go
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Atla wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:25 pm
simplicity wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:12 pm Are you trying to be funny or is this a serious question?
Are you?
I'm asking that after 30 years of meditation, did you find any new major insights in the non-intellectual, that can be expressed in language? Something not commonly known, something very surprising about the world, about reality, about existence. That kind of thing.

We've heard about meditation before, you're on a philosophy forum. Many of us have dabbled in it too.
The reason I asked you this is because the question you ask answers itself. IOW, how can a non-intellectual insight be expressed intellectually?

I'll give you an example of one which will not make any sense to you, but here goes...

The answer appears before the question can be asked.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

simplicity wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:47 pm That's all very nice, but it's simply an intellectual attempt at understanding Reality...which is impossible.

If you wish to tap into the non-intellectual, then you must sacrifice your ego, your 'self.' There is no other way, so telling me what contentment means to you personally is not going to help. All of these words are simply pointing...the words are empty. Do you understand?
When you're trying to hide the contempt you're feeling inside but your acting skills just aren't up to it.

Atla

Post by Atla »

simplicity wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:00 pm The reason I asked you this is because the question you ask answers itself. IOW, how can a non-intellectual insight be expressed intellectually?
You're deliberately misunderstanding what I'm asking. We can use language to try to point to something indescribable, ineffable.
I'll give you an example of one which will not make any sense to you, but here goes...

Many answers do, but not all of them obviously. So you're correct, it doesn't make sense to me.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

simplicity wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:00 pm IOW, how can a non-intellectual insight be expressed intellectually?

An answer can only appear after a question, never before. If the answer is before, there would be no question.

So, there is no need for you to know how. If you knew how, then you'd not ask how. It's only because you do not know the answer to how, that you need to know, what you cannot know.

If you insist on believing there is an intellect that is not an intellect, then the onus is on you the believer to describe what a non-existing intellect is in language.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Atla wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:12 pm
simplicity wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:00 pm The reason I asked you this is because the question you ask answers itself. IOW, how can a non-intellectual insight be expressed intellectually?
You're deliberately misunderstanding what I'm asking. We can use language to try to point to something indescribable, ineffable.
There are excellent realized Zen teachers. Your questions should be directed to them.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

simplicity wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:26 pm Your questions should be directed to them.
There is only one ( 1 ) question to all our answers.

Not questions.
Atla

Post by Atla »

simplicity wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:26 pm
There are excellent realized Zen teachers. Your questions should be directed to them.
I only had one question and I directed it to you but w/e
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

I've always managed to manage myself thank you very much. I did once try to sacrifice my self, by making my self redundant. But then realised I had no body to hang out with anymore, so I re-employed my self.

simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Atla wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:59 pm
simplicity wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:26 pm
I only had one question and I directed it to you but w/e
I have also been a serious Zen student for over 30 years and do not feel skilled enough to attempt to "translate" from the non-intellectual to the intellectual. The question that you posed should be answered by those who have full understanding [and that is not I]. The last thing I want to do is confuse somebody else. As you might know, the reason that a Zen master does much of their teaching during dokusan is being face to face reveals [with a great deal of clarity] where the student happens to be in their practice.

One of the truly great books of the modern era [I am sure you're familiar with], is Shunryu Suzuki's, "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind." What makes this book so exceptional was his ability to simplify to base meaning, the idea being that Absolute Simplicity equals Absolute Truth. Even so, he was not able to convey the non-intellectual, only provide proper motivation for his students to seek on their own.

One of the great Tang dynasty masters I am sure you must be familiar with, Huang Po, said it best, "Open your mouth and you have already lost it."

If you have a specific question, I can try to answer it, but I am not sure how I can convey what I have realized from my practice any more than you can convey what being in love is like to another who has never been in love. Although you can throw words at it, its essence is purely experiential.