Has Science Killed Philosophy? Debate

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Re: Has Science Killed Philosophy? Debate

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

owl of Minerva wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:18 am Evolution is top-down not bottom up. Before evolution took place on earth it occurred in space. Earth had to win its place in the galaxy along with the other planets, subject to the resonance between Jupiter and Saturn. Evolution of forms on earth is the evolution of forms propelled by physical forces. Consciousness did not evolve from physical forces, it was top down before it emerged from physical forces, emerging as vitality in plants; sensation in animals; intelligence in man.
If it was not there from the beginning in what manner was it created by physical forces, are there any theories or definitions of how that occurred?
Yes, whatever the scientific theory, i.e. evolution in this case is to be defaulted as top-down inferred from observations.
The point is as a scientific theory is it at best a "polished conjecture" thus it will not conclude anything that is final nor absolutely absolute.
As such, science with best theories we have at present will never answer 'how where is consciousness from physical forces'. This is a moot question for science.

Why any one would want to pursue this 'impossible' question is due to psychology driven by an existential crisis as I had wrote elsewhere.
The origin of life is not known; there are numerous theories regarding first cause. To say that life emerged from something is not ridiculous. The theories range from electric spark; deep sea vents; from space, or Oparin-Haldane theory of inorganic molecules. Take your pick.
Whatever the 'first' cause, it can be acceptable as long as it is inferred from an empirical base, but it should never be taken as absolutely real and final.
E.g. the BB is accepted as an original cause of the universe from a reductive approach of an empirical expanding universe. But no scientists will accept the BB as final and many will not even reduce to a certain beginning with a 'Bang'.
Past-present-future are linear and features of time. What is metaphysical, beyond time does not enter temporal time except as expression. I have also read Carlo Rovelli’s book; events not time is primary. Motion, time, space, and the atom order the events of linear time in the macro world.
Yes events not time is primary. However events denote humans are part of that event. There is no escape from the human factor.
To want to know if there is a final cause, what it may be, has been relevant to philosophy and science. There was a beginning, there is a middle, so what is the end and to what purpose; although science does not concern itself with purpose, just how the cosmos may end.

To sum up everything came from something. Otherwise it is something from nothing which defies logic. From beyond space, from space, from any of the above-named theories which are just a few of many. If it emerged from the inorganic it is truly miraculous. It emerged from something prior that existed, otherwise it emerged from non-existence. The former is logical, the latter is not.
You cannot sum it absolutely.
What is logic that is defied other than logic is ultimately a human construct.
That you are stuck with the expectations of 'logic' is a psychological issue.

Logic [traditional] is a necessity in certain aspects of life but not every level of life. What is relevant for Newtonian, Einsteinian is not valid at the Quantum levels, but they are useful for their respective levels.
Thus one need to be able to suspend the expectations of logic at the higher levels of life and not be a slave to logic [traditional or otherwise].
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

uwot wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:31 pm
simplicity wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:32 amThings are the way they are. Acceptance, not understanding, is THE key.
Is that advice from you, or what you think your government tells you?
Acceptance and your reaction to it are two separate issues. The key is to see things clearly and accept the truth of the matter. Once you have accomplished that, you can figure out what to do about it [if anything].
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Science cannot kill the essence of philosophy or the love of wisdom. Wisdom requires seeing the whole picture. Science, when it only concerns itself with evolution, has no interest in involution or the descent of the three elementary forces into creation.

Involution leading to evolution describes the cycle of the big picture. Ken Wilber describes this cycle.

https://www.integralworld.net/involution.html
According to Wilber, evolution has an inner component, that is not easily discovered by conventional science. Science studies the outer forms of live, and concludes evolution basically is a matter of material complexity. Esoteric philosophy adds an inner dimension: evolution is as much a matter of increasing depth or quality. This can be illustrated graphically in the following diagram:
Does the wholeness of the living machine we know of as organic life on earth, begin with an idea and through the process of involution, manifest on earth or does it begin on earth and through the process of evolution, manifest into its related parts?

Science doesn't disprove involution. Most just reject it and concentrate on evolution as the source of existence. Esoteric philosophy is interested in the process of involution and how the structure of our universe was created from lawful ideas rather than nothing and what is Man's place within it.
uwot

Post by uwot »

simplicity wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:37 pmAcceptance and your reaction to it are two separate issues. The key is to see things clearly and accept the truth of the matter. Once you have accomplished that, you can figure out what to do about it [if anything].
Well, there's a lot of things we don't know. The thing to do is find out.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Belinda wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:28 pm I understand qualities are epistemic. As for quantities, if as you say these are ontological, don't you imply that any given quantity is a Platonic Form with an essence all of its own? And it follows, that maths is extramental?
Quantities are also epistemic. I am merely promoting them to ontological status in my mind, in order to distinguish the epistemic from the ontological BUT all of that stuff is still happening in my mind.

Beneath the ontology of modern physics lies Mathematics. You can't understand electtrons, leptons and quarks etc. in terms of anything other than the Mathematical quantities which describe their behavior. Does that mean Maths is real? I don't have a clue!

All I am pointing out is the age old philosophical question: How does language relate to the world? Mathematics is a language so...How does Mathematics relate to the world?

No idea! But it works.
Belinda wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:28 pm I suspect I'd have to be a physicist to understand that. Is there a way you might describe what that means, without your also having to explain it from primary school level to present speed? Me, I think a quantity must be a quantity of something, even although that "something" be the human agent that differentiates.
I'd describe it as an instrumentalist.... there is no way to tell if quantum fields are just useful mental constructs; or whether they say anything ontologically true about reality. I am only using the concept without concern for "truth".

They are just a way of thinking about the world that happens to produce accurate predictions. It's just another one of those "they are epistemic, but we treat them as ontological because they agree with experiment" things.
Belinda wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:28 pm If my mental state is, say 90% euphoria plus 10% melancholia, do melancholia and euphoria break down into quanta?
I am not sure I would use the phrase "break down" here. It's just a trivial truism of quantum physics that every possible configuration of the universe over its entire history is captured in the wave equation.

Identifying which particular quantum state any given mental state corresponds to - is a separate (and probably unatainable) goal.
Belinda wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:28 pm For the sake of argument are they comparative quantities of psycho -active chemicals such as dopamine? Isn't there a stage of analysis where we have to have faith that some quality (however small the quantity) is real even if it transcends our experience?
Yep. Everything is real. There's nothing that isn't real. But again - that follows from having a monist metaphysic (in general) and not from quantum physics in particular.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

uwot wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:04 am
simplicity wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:37 pmAcceptance and your reaction to it are two separate issues. The key is to see things clearly and accept the truth of the matter. Once you have accomplished that, you can figure out what to do about it [if anything].
Well, there's a lot of things we don't know. The thing to do is find out.
The truth of the matter is that we cannot "know" the way we wish to know [we are simply incapable], but we can accept [without having to know]. This way, the response is based on a MUCH closer idea of what is really going on instead of an absurd intellectualized version. Look at the bizarre things people do ALL the time. This is thinking that has no chance of being correct. Even the brightest among us is only right a very small percentage of the time. Human beings are constantly correcting their poor choices [and this takes up the vast majority of our time].

Think about it! :)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

simplicity wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:50 pm Human beings are constantly correcting their poor choices [and this takes up the vast majority of our time].

I thought about it (that last line), and am certain you are incorrect, my father is a prime example of someone that appears to do very little self-analysis, if he does he's either doing a shit job of it, and/or refuses to apply any corrections.
uwot

Post by uwot »

simplicity wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:50 pmThe truth of the matter is that we cannot "know" the way we wish to know [we are simply incapable]...
Is that human weakness or underdetermination?
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:44 pm
simplicity wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:50 pm Human beings are constantly correcting their poor choices [and this takes up the vast majority of our time].

I thought about it (that last line), and am certain you are incorrect, my father is a prime example of someone that appears to do very little self-analysis, if he does he's either doing a shit job of it, and/or refuses to apply any corrections.
You didn't think about it long enough!

If for no other reason [and let's assume (for fun) that everybody figures out everything correctly], all things change constantly so you would have to constantly re-think everything anyway.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

uwot wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:21 am
simplicity wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:50 pmThe truth of the matter is that we cannot "know" the way we wish to know [we are simply incapable]...
Is that human weakness or underdetermination?
Reality is WAY too complex for us to have any grasp of it at all. It would entail having to process an infinite amount of different things changing constantly. I don't know about your brain, by mine can handle, two [maybe three] tasks at a time. :)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

simplicity wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:37 am
attofishpi wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:44 pm

You didn't think about it long enough!

If for no other reason [and let's assume (for fun) that everybody figures out everything correctly], all things change constantly so you would have to constantly re-think everything anyway.
You clearly didn't understand my answer to your last line, and what you just wrote does not support that original line you wrote.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:06 am You clearly didn't understand my answer to your last line, and what you just wrote does not support that original line you wrote.
What's the bad news? :)
uwot

Post by uwot »

simplicity wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:41 amReality is WAY too complex for us to have any grasp of it at all.
Well, those scientists are wasting their time then.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Skepdick wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:58 am
Belinda wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:28 pm I understand qualities are epistemic. As for quantities, if as you say these are ontological, don't you imply that any given quantity is a Platonic Form with an essence all of its own? And it follows, that maths is extramental?
Quantities are also epistemic. I am merely promoting them to ontological status in my mind, in order to distinguish the epistemic from the ontological BUT all of that stuff is still happening in my mind.

Beneath the ontology of modern physics lies Mathematics. You can't understand electtrons, leptons and quarks etc. in terms of anything other than the Mathematical quantities which describe their behavior. Does that mean Maths is real? I don't have a clue!

All I am pointing out is the age old philosophical question: How does language relate to the world? Mathematics is a language so...How does Mathematics relate to the world?

No idea! But it works.
Belinda wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:28 pm I suspect I'd have to be a physicist to understand that. Is there a way you might describe what that means, without your also having to explain it from primary school level to present speed? Me, I think a quantity must be a quantity of something, even although that "something" be the human agent that differentiates.
I'd describe it as an instrumentalist.... there is no way to tell if quantum fields are just useful mental constructs; or whether they say anything ontologically true about reality. I am only using the concept without concern for "truth".

They are just a way of thinking about the world that happens to produce accurate predictions. It's just another one of those "they are epistemic, but we treat them as ontological because they agree with experiment" things.
Belinda wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:28 pm If my mental state is, say 90% euphoria plus 10% melancholia, do melancholia and euphoria break down into quanta?
I am not sure I would use the phrase "break down" here. It's just a trivial truism of quantum physics that every possible configuration of the universe over its entire history is captured in the wave equation.

Identifying which particular quantum state any given mental state corresponds to - is a separate (and probably unatainable) goal.
Belinda wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:28 pm For the sake of argument are they comparative quantities of psycho -active chemicals such as dopamine? Isn't there a stage of analysis where we have to have faith that some quality (however small the quantity) is real even if it transcends our experience?
Yep. Everything is real. There's nothing that isn't real. But again - that follows from having a monist metaphysic (in general) and not from quantum physics in particular.
Thanks Skepdick!
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

uwot wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:11 pm
simplicity wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:41 amReality is WAY too complex for us to have any grasp of it at all.
Well, those scientists are wasting their time then.
As aptly demonstrated on a regular basis, science can contribute a great deal to the quality of our lives, but it doesn't mean they actually [really] understand what they're doing.

Nothing that is thought to be true today will be thought to be true in the future.