metaphysics is...

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: metaphysics is...

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:10 pm I'm simply reporting to you that I'd not bother trying to persuade you of anything. That's not an argument with premises and a conclusion. It's a report about a disposition I have.
Well, sure - if you had stated your disposition only that would've been perfectly fine. But you went a little further...
Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:57 pm Apparently you missed me saying that I'd not bother trying to convince you of this? I have zero interest in that with you, because of your personality.
And so it sure seems that the premise to your conclusion is my personality.

Sure seems like an argument to me. At the very least a claim about my personality. I wonder if it obtains.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:15 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:10 pm I'm simply reporting to you that I'd not bother trying to persuade you of anything. That's not an argument with premises and a conclusion. It's a report about a disposition I have.
Well, sure - if you had stated your disposition only that would've been perfectly fine. But you went a little further...
Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:57 pm Apparently you missed me saying that I'd not bother trying to convince you of this? I have zero interest in that with you, because of your personality.
And so it sure seems that the premise to your conclusion is my personality.

Sure seems like an argument to me.
Sure. I'm not surprised that it would seem like an argument to you. You have no idea what an argument even is. You're not even remotely qualified to talk about any of this stuff because you have a complete lack of knowledge of it.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:18 pm Sure. I'm not surprised that it would seem like an argument to you. You have no idea what an argument even is.
No shit, Sherlock. I don't know what anything IS. But then again - neither do you. Because those are ontological questions without any universal answers.
Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:18 pm You're not even remotely qualified to talk about any of this stuff because you have a complete lack of knowledge of it.
Au contraire. Building knowledge ontologies from first principles is precisely what I am competent in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontology_ ... n_science)

Perhaps you can't tell because you are incompetent?
Terrapin Station

Skepdick wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:22 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:18 pm Sure. I'm not surprised that it would seem like an argument to you. You have no idea what an argument even is. You're not even remotely qualified to talk about any of this stuff because you have a complete lack of knowledge of it.
Au contraire. Building knowledge ontologies from first principles is precisely what I am competent in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontology_ ... n_science)

Perhaps you can't tell because you are incompetent?
"Building knowledge ontologies" lol
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:23 pm "Building knowledge ontologies" lol
Philosophy. Lol ;)

Try science.
Terrapin Station

Skepdick wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:24 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:23 pm "Building knowledge ontologies" lol
Philosophy. Lol ;)

Try science.
Right, "lol" because you know jackshit about it. It's a reaction borne purely out of a lack of understanding.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:26 pm Right, "lol" because you know jackshit about it.
I know jackshit about computer science?

What would a philosopher know about that?
Terrapin Station

Skepdick wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:28 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:26 pm Right, "lol" because you know jackshit about it.
I know jackshit about computer science?

What would a philosopher know about that?
Reading, how does it work?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:29 pm Reading, how does it work?
You mean parsing? I know how it works. I build parsers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsing
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:26 pm It's a reaction borne purely out of a lack of understanding.
Snowflake. Don't they teach you anything in Philosophy these days? How do you know that you "understand"?.
We both know that you don't have an objective criterion for "understanding" so maybe you want to borrow mine (which I borrowed from Feynman).

What I cannot create - I do not understand.

Seeming as I created my own philosophy, I figure I understand it just fine. For all practical and non-academic purposes anyway.
Last edited by Skepdick on Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Terrapin Station

Skepdick wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:38 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:26 pm It's a reaction borne purely out of a lack of understanding.
Snowflake. Don't they teach you anything in Philosophy these days? How do you know that you "understand"?.
We both know that you don't have an objective criterion for "understanding" so maybe you want to borrow mine (which I borrowed from Feynman).

What I cannot create - I do not understand.

Seeming as I created my own philosophy, I figure I understand it just fine. For all practical and non-academic purposes anyway.
So why do you want to pretend that you know something about philosophy when you're not interested in it, really?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:48 pm So why do you want to pretend that you know something about philosophy when you're not interested in it, really?
Because I created one, therefore I understand it.

What more is there to "understand"? The activity is just conceptual design and language manipulation.

It's entirely vacuous of substance or telos.
Terrapin Station

Skepdick wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:53 pm Because I created one, therefore I understand it.

What more is there to "understand"? The activity is just conceptual design and language manipulation.
It's really not, but you're not interested enough to really bother with it, and I doubt you ever will be. <shrug>
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:04 pm It's really not, but you're not interested enough to really bother with it, and I doubt you ever will be. <shrug>
You keep saying that, but you can't even argue your point.
Last edited by Skepdick on Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Terrapin Station

Skepdick wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:06 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:04 pm It's really not, but you're not interested enough to really bother with it, and I doubt you ever will be. <shrug>
You keep saying that, but you can't even argue your point.
We need to argue that you're not interested in it enough to study it? You're arguing that you are interested in it?