attofishpi

Re: Christianity

Post by attofishpi »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:26 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:03 am
henry quirk wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:48 am

I had to look that one up...

1 No poofters.
2 No member of the faculty is to maltreat the "Abos" in any way whatsoever—if there's anyone watching.
3 No poofters.
4 I don't want to catch anyone not drinking in their room after lights out.
5 No poofters.
6 There is no rule six.
7 No poofters.
:D Yep, that's it. Well done.

🎶 "EEEEEEEmanuel Kant..." ♬♪ 🪕
C'mon, everybody! Sing!
IC I think whatever heaven you have in mind would be extreeeeeeeemely boring.

How many hookers have you fucked?
How many cars have you stolen? (or borrowed)
How many anecdotes can you share without boring everyone to death?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Dubious wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:19 am I prefer the heights looking down on people seeing how much they enjoy making life miserable for each other.
'TIS SWEET, when, down the mighty main, the winds
Roll up its waste of waters, from the land
To watch another's labouring anguish far,
Not that we joyously delight that man
Should thus be smitten, but because 'tis sweet
To mark what evils we ourselves be spared;
'Tis sweet, again, to view the mighty strife
Of armies embattled yonder o'er the plains,
Ourselves no sharers in the peril; but naught
There is more goodly than to hold the high
Serene plateaus, well fortressed by the wise,
Whence thou may'st look below on other men
And see them ev'rywhere wand'ring, all dispersed
In their lone seeking for the road of life;
Rivals in genius, or emulous in rank,
Pressing through days and nights with hugest toil
For summits of power and mastery of the world.
O wretched minds of men! O blinded hearts!
In how great perils, in what darks of life
Are spent the human years . . .

-- Lucretius, De Rerum Natura
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

So, as always, there is a need to summarize 'what is going on here'.

Esteemed Dubious there are 5-6 different points I would like to comment on but more pressing matters demand attention. If we are not summarizing, if we are not making the effort to actually grasp what each of us is saying (and some, saying, say nothing or next to it, and that too must be included in the summary), we are getting no-where.

My first thoughts are that Dubious denies the reality of the metaphysical:
Dubious writes: It was never a matter of convincing anyone directly but analytically purveying a subject or some aspect of existence and simply seeing what we can see instead of over-inflating it by a too luxuriant imagination...and once again, wishful thinking that there must be some actual, inviolable objective truth out there to be discovered by way of books and authors of all kinds only to resolve in more useless speculation. I regard this type of literature as a fictional romance with the metaphysical which is often quite brilliantly expounded as a true love story with the abstract...a continuation of the Eternal Feminine drawing us on.
Be that as it may (obviously he has his eloquent if somewhat rhapsodic way of expressing it) I suggest that the entirety of this present conversation slash debate slash three-ring circus, and the core of the oppositions that are performed here, can be reduced to how this question is viewed.

So let me attempt a contextualization, as part of the summary, by noting that when Dubious denies the reality of the metaphysical, and likens it to luxuriant imagination and wishful thinking (he has developed various ways of expressing the same idea) what he does, and this of course is the important result of the primary action, is to lift anchor within any fundamental categories. If I am not mistaken this 'lifting of the anchor' corresponds to Richard Weaver's description of the undermining of the concept of *universals*.
Says Weaver: "Like Macbeth, Western man made an evil decision, which has become the efficient and final cause of other evil decisions. It occurred in the late fourteenth century, and what the witches said to the protagonist of this drama was that man could realize himself more fully if he would only abandon his belief in the existence of transcendentals."
Now the interesting thing for those who have bothered to pay attention to the developments in this thread -- but perhaps this is only ultimately of interest to me? -- is to discuss Immanuel Can's Christian Evangelical position as a manifestation of an attempt to hold to, to recognize, to value and to live in accord with transcendental values. Naturally, he would not see Jesus Christ as a symbol for a transcendental, but follows the Evangelical story-line of extreme personification of what is ultimately a God that is beyond all possible representation, God that is absolutely abstract, into what is described in the Sanskrit language as Ishwara: a personal and relativized image of God. What is conceived in the imagination so that it can be seen.

Now I hope that you will bear with me here. There are conceptual ways to describe what is being done here when God is reduced and channeled into a specific form. And my view is that Vedantic language is useful. There is an idea in Vedanta expressed by the word darshana. It means 'view' or 'point-of-view' and the word derives from drish which connotes seeing. As we all recognize seeing is a word with a range of meaning. One 'sees' when one understands. One sees objects and surfaces and thus distinguishes what is there to see. One also sees into things or sees beyond the surface presentation. I assume that people will recognize where I am going with this?

What we are asked to see must, and does, extend beyond the mere surface. If we only see the surface we are not seeing completely. This implies of course that seeing is a unique and complex faculty.

I want to turn to one of the axiomatic phrases -- declarations -- that sit there at the base of the Christian conception. It may have a correspondence in Hebrew thought but it is much more a Greek thought (filled with Greek concepts). It is "In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God". That idea right there is not other than an open window to 'the notion of the metaphysical'. It is an opening as well to the possibility of considering both universals and transcendentals in the Weaveronian sense.

And yet when the image, the picture, the representation, that darshana if you will, of Jesus Christ is presented to many of us, it is presented in a disgusting, reduced, vulgarized, politicized, mind- and intellect-manipulating form that is, essentially, the only form that Immanuel Can can present to be seen. This is why I describe Immanuel as being 'engaged in evil'. I am not saying this to be dramatic. Immanuel, I say, has a devilish spirit in him and his Ishwara cannot be something divine and elevating. I could continue to embellish this description and it would not be unimportant to do so.

So what does this mean? It does not mean that any special attention need be given to the man Immanuel Can. Immanuel Can manifests a god-concept that has become extremely perverted. In truth this demonic imago captures many people. (Please note that I use 'demonic' here with poetic license.) And if I am right about what I say then I also suggest (and here I follow the sense within Christian metaphors) the demonic spirit has to be confronted, exorcized, and banished.

Now what this means, in my way of seeing, is that we are dealing with a corrupted symbol. A symbol that has been grabbed, employed, twisted, and as I say debased and perverted. Who is doing this? To answer that question you actually have to examine where it takes place. It takes place within a 'lower conceptual order'. It takes place within a contaminated (or un-regenerated) psyche and psychology. And I have no choice but to refer to mass-man or if you wish Everyman. A lower common denominator.

But let's turn back to darshana: what is there to be seen; what is possible to see. Every picture of a religious order is really a Symbolic representation of what I refer to as 'the metaphysical'. So too are those 'universals' that Weaver refers to. But no picture can actually represent what is non-representable! Yes, we need a picture and a concept to be able to even entertain an Idea, but if we confuse the picture for the Idea we commit, effectively, a sacrilege.

On this thread there are many who come forward in battle array to confront the Demon Immanuel. This sounds like an unfair characterization doesn't it? A mean-spirited attack typical of these fora. But it is not in any sense intended to be such. If we are not serious about getting to the real cores of real issues and real concerns, what the heck is the purpose of all this? This is serious business. And I am speaking to the wide cultural horizon. Indeed my ultimate consideration is about what is going on around us, out there, today. We have to be willing to put aside the personal, and personal whimpering, to see the Ideas at play in their exposed forms.

So what I have to say is that, yes, and by all means, these demonic usages of divine images (and the metaphysical ideas that stand behind them) must be seen through. But what complexifies the issue is that seeing through does not mean failing to see or, shall I say, the negation of the responsibility to see more completely, more thoroughly, more expansively, and more truly.

Now I turn back to Dubious and his *problem* -- the negation of metaphysics and his description of it as reduction to over-heated romantic imagination. I cannot resolve this problem here. In fact, and since you-plural present me with a range of 'problems' (Immanuel, Iambiguous, Promethean, Belinda, Harry, Harbal, LaceWing, etc, etc.), each 'position' expressed and presented has to be resolved.

Thus: you-plural are all, in different ways, manifestations of the core problem! I do not think it could be any other way when the issue is thought through. To have become unanchored and unmoored from those Universals and that (allow me to say) Eternal Metaphysics does indeed lead, step by step, motion by motion, imperceptibly or obviously, to dissolution of a proper and encompassing stance within this world. It just goes & on & on and it, itself, cannot reverse course because it has no idea-lever grounded in those Universals and that Metaphysics referred to.

Trippy, eh?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

[Not to be taken too seriously . . .]

Problem:
I am a bee out in the fields of winter
And though I memorized the slope of water,
Oblivion carries me on his shoulder:
Beyond the suns I speak and circuits shiver,
But though I shout the wisdom of the maps,
I am a salmon in the ring shape river.
Solution:
Oh, it's the half-remarkable question
What is it that we are part of?
And what is it that we are?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

This just in:

Sadly, due to supply chain issues, there is an extreme shortage of energy drinks in Australia.

Lethargy strikes the nation!

I wonder if some of the luckier and better provisioned might work to arrange a shipment to Harry? I’d like to hear more from him.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Putting links in posts should be a criminal offence. That's just my opinion, and doesn't represent the views of the PN forum, obviously.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Harbal wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:23 pm Putting links in posts should be a criminal offence. That's just my opinion, and doesn't represent the views of the PN forum, obviously.
The medium is the message, Harbal.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:42 pm
That cuts no ice with me.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Harbal wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:40 am
Nick_A wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:13 am

Do you respect Einstein's observation of religious awe or is it just a waste of time?
I don't know what Einstein's observation was. Besides, I don't see the world through Einstein's eyes, or Simone Weil's eyes, or Plato's; I can only see it through my own.

Edit: I've just noticed that you quoted Einstein's observation. We all make observation's Nick, we don't need to steal someone else's.
You seem to accept that man is the measure of all things. They are measured by what our senses experience. Our senses define the limits of our intellectual response.

However, those like Einstein and Simone all realize that the universe is governed by a quality of reason that makes human dualistic reason seem naive in comparison.

Am I right to think that you favor man being the measure of all things and the revelation of the senses as the ultimate path to truth people search for. Anything else is living in a dream?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Harbal wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:49 pm
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:42 pm
That cuts no ice with me.
It is not designed to cut ice, just Spam.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Nick_A wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:09 pm You seem to accept that man is the measure of all things. They are measured by what our senses experience. Our senses define the limits of our intellectual response.
I would say our imagination determines the limits of our vision, and our senses feed our imagination.
Nick_A wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:09 pm
However, those like Einstein and Simone all realize that the universe is governed by a quality of reason that makes human dualistic reason seem naive in comparison.
I am not responsible for what those like Einstein and Simone realised, and for all you know I may have realised something more profound than they ever did. You are just assuming that I haven't.
Nick_A wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:09 pm Am I right to think that you favor man being the measure of all things and the revelation of the senses as the ultimate path to truth people search for. Anything else is living in a dream?
It's not a question of what I favour, it is a question of what is the case. Although man might search for the "ultimate path to truth", that is no assurance that there is such a path. Perhaps if you could define "truth" we could at least get a sense of whether our ambition of finding a path to it is feasible. If we do find ourselves wanting to measure anything in the meanwhile, what do we have to measure it with other than the yardstick of our own human judgement?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:45 amHow many hookers have you fucked?
How many cars have you stolen? (or borrowed)
How many anecdotes can you share without boring everyone to death?
For various reasons this caught my attention.

In the course of this *conversation* (quote/unquote) I have had to confront and also to surmount, or perhaps resolve, what Immanuel Can represented to me and represents as a cultural figure, a sort of general trope. I know it is tedious (or seems picayune) that I keep mentioning IC but, in my case, my encounter with him, here, turned out to be momentous, and in relation to my own development and understanding. Remember that this all began with LaceWing many months ago and no part of the extended conversation, and all elements of it, should be forgotten (though some here have no inkling at all of this).

Jumping right into it I have to state, and make clear, that the notion of 'sin' cannot and should not ever be dismissed. Those who confront the myriad *Immanuel Cans* roving around out there will react, as is natural, against 'him'. They will reject 'him' and, perhaps, all that he might present about man's sinfulness and the need for a 'redeemer' and a whole range of different connotations. This is why I say that IC is *wicked* and *destructive* (and I am referring to him now as a symbol for a larger set of conceptions) because he produces, I have even thought deliberately, a sour taste that demands, in order to defend personal sovereignty, to be spit or vomited out. One could say, one might say, that this is the Devil's trick: to cause people to reject an aspect of the message when the messenger is rejected.

We need a different conceptual framework in order to understand 'sin'. True, in developing mine I will refer to a transcendent or perhaps expanded metaphysics -- that of Vedānta which has been enormously developed as an explanatory system and is extremely useful in explaining and clarifying what is valuable in Christianity. I am going to assume that all who write here, and all people generally, have a 'conscience' of the sort that Nick refers to. In thinking about what Nick has attempted to present I am at least clear that I know what he means.

But what interests me personally, and for very personal reasons, has been and is the process through which 'conscience' has been stimulated. The more awareness, the more wakefulness, the more, shall I say, sobriety and seriousness, but also the more awareness of 'higher orders of being', the more that I have been made aware, and unpleasantly, of my own 'sinful activities'.

If you evoke awareness, awareness will make itself known, and 'conscience' will bear down on you. I have had to relive and remember, against my own volition, hundreds of different situations in which wrong turns were taken. Sexual misconduct is not a minor one but these are not the ones that seem to 'haunt'. There are other levels of moral sin that seem more consequential.

But what is the basis of sinfulness? It seems to involve trying to get what one feels is lacking or missing on an internal plane through an ignorant and falsely-based hope, a mistaken wish, that it is possible to get *it* from out of circumstances that can never give it. For 'incarnated entities' such as ourselves, we are stuck in unfavorable and even misfortunate circumstances. I do not see a way around this. The Vaishnavas describe this human condition by referring to the metaphor of 'material entanglement'. The truly ignorant (in the Vedānta sense of avidya) have so little discerning intelligence that, stuck in such conditions, they can do little else but muck things up. Desire, anger, appetite, longing, uncontrolled lust, possess their entire selves. They are trapped and driven along, getting & grabbing. The metaphor is imprisonment.

But this is a condition that is universal and general -- though the discriminating have more skill in understanding their 'condition'. Though it also seems to happen that they get better at concealing the degree to which they are possessed by their longings that cannot ever be genuinely satisfied.

Switching topics, to a degree . . .
Haribal wrote: It's not a question of what I favour, it is a question of what is the case. Although man might search for the "ultimate path to truth", that is no assurance that there is such a path. Perhaps if you could define "truth" we could at least get a sense of whether our ambition of finding a path to it is feasible.
Actually, there very definitely is such a path. It is even I think rather obvious at a simple and undeveloped intuitive level. But getting to the capability of properly conceptualizing it, which definitely involves a grasp of universals (!) and also of metaphysical concepts, is a fraught process with many obstructions.

At the point of realization one will have to make choices, and depending on where one is located (what cultural milieu, moment in history, surrounding religious concept) one will as a result of realization seek the appropriate and available tools in order to extract oneself from the 'mire' (if mire is taken to mean a circumstance of ignorance of causation and consequence). But the process is, I think, universal.
If we do find ourselves wanting to measure anything in the meanwhile, what do we have to measure it with other than the yardstick of our own human judgement?
That is exactly right: at that point there is no other yardstick. But when the larger pattern of what is called, within spiritual traditions, awakening occurs, that the circumstances one awakes from are more or less exactly the same. The human situation, the 'material entanglement', is exactly the same in all relevant senses for all people, everywhere. It is very specific to this realm.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Harbal wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:52 pm
Nick_A wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:09 pm You seem to accept that man is the measure of all things. They are measured by what our senses experience. Our senses define the limits of our intellectual response.
I would say our imagination determines the limits of our vision, and our senses feed our imagination.

It depends what you mean by imagination. If it is just fantasy or wishful thinking then it limits your objective vision. However, when imagination is really conscious contemplation, then it can enhance the limits of your vision
Nick_A wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:09 pm
I am not responsible for what those like Einstein and Simone realised, and for all you know I may have realised something more profound than they ever did. You are just assuming that I haven't.

You don't seem to have the humility normal for those who have experienced a quality of of reason that allows them to experience their nothingness.
Nick_A wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:09 pm Am I right to think that you favor man being the measure of all things and the revelation of the senses as the ultimate path to truth people search for. Anything else is living in a dream?
It's not a question of what I favour, it is a question of what is the case. Although man might search for the "ultimate path to truth", that is no assurance that there is such a path. Perhaps if you could define "truth" we could at least get a sense of whether our ambition of finding a path to it is feasible. If we do find ourselves wanting to measure anything in the meanwhile, what do we have to measure it with other than the yardstick of our own human judgement?
Knowledge of truth is knowledge of the forms as ideas serving as the foundation of our universe. Consider Diotima's "Ladder of Love"

https://www.thoughtco.com/platos-ladder-of-love-2670661
It concludes with: "Diotima tells Socrates that if he ever reached the highest rung on the ladder and contemplated the Form of Beauty, he would never again be seduced by the physical attractions of beautiful youths. Nothing could make life more worth living than enjoying this sort of vision. Because the Form of Beauty is perfect, it will inspire perfect virtue in those who contemplate it.

This account of the ladder of love is the source for the familiar notion of "Platonic love," by which is meant the sort of love that is not expressed through sexual relations. The description of the ascent can be viewed as an account of sublimation, the process of transforming one sort of impulse into another, usually, one that is viewed as "higher" or more valuable. In this instance, the sexual desire for a beautiful body becomes sublimated into a desire for philosophical understanding and insight.
The more one is aware of the inner direction leading to awareness of the forms, the less they are inclined to argue over superficial details.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:05 pmMy first thoughts are that Dubious denies the reality of the metaphysical
Internally it's real enough; externally it's hogwash.
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:05 pm(he has developed various ways of expressing the same idea)
Haven't we all! It limits the boredom. As in music, themes require variations highlighting nuances; but if true why so uncertain about my views?
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:05 pm If I am not mistaken this 'lifting of the anchor' corresponds to Richard Weaver's description of the undermining of the concept of *universals*.
Universals are what WE make of them as always; they exist nowhere else. I realize it must feel warm and cozy under a blanket of universals.
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:05 pmNow the interesting thing for those who have bothered to pay attention to the developments in this thread
You must be joking! :lol:
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:05 pmNow the interesting thing for those who have bothered to pay attention to the developments in this thread -- but perhaps this is only ultimately of interest to me? -- is to discuss Immanuel Can's Christian Evangelical position as a manifestation of an attempt to hold to, to recognize, to value and to live in accord with transcendental values.
Pray, what may those transcendental values amount to within the confines of Pascal's Wager besides forcing a compromise between TO BE (Jesus will hitting the gavel on Judgement Day) or NOT TO BE (when you croak you're FINALIZED); everything to gain in the former; nothing to lose in the latter. A winnable bet on both fronts! Who could ever question that this truly is the best of all possible worlds! :shock:

God as a perennial abstraction seems more logical than force-feeding divinity into a human vessel, does it not?

You are much too IC obsessed! Reifying a child's story into having eschatological consequences is one that comes across as transcendent only in its absurdity. But if absurdity can teach it's only right you should be obsessed!
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:05 pm"In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God". That idea right there is not other than an open window to 'the notion of the metaphysical'. It is an opening as well to the possibility of considering both universals and transcendentals in the Weaveronian sense.
Not necessarily. It could also have other connotations; one opposite to any notion of the metaphysical. A little more research is required before impregnating it with universals and transcendentals which is so easy to default to since the phrase opens the gospel in such a mystic manner compared to anything in the other three synoptic siblings. As compared to those, John's Gospel opens dramatically with an upgrade to Christ's status as Messiah into the Greek realms of Logos as a creative, organizing power; in effect, announcing itself at least as much empirically as metaphysically. But that's another story.
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:05 pmNow I turn back to Dubious and his *problem*
The only way you can assume I or others have a problem is to be certain that you don't have any. Ever consider writing you own gospel? I can help you with that. I can turn a theme into a pretzel and still make it come out straight at the end. To convince anyone of anything you first have to confuse them; that's when the pretzel enters the stage purposely causing confusion in preparation for the revelation which casts all doubt into the fire.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Nick_A wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:46 pm
It depends what you mean by imagination. If it is just fantasy or wishful thinking then it limits your objective vision. However, when imagination is really conscious contemplation, then it can enhance the limits of your vision
Yes, that's it. You have taken a load of wishful thinking and attempted to dignify it by calling it "conscious contemplation".
You don't seem to have the humility normal for those who have experienced a quality of of reason that allows them to experience their nothingness.

You don't know anything about me, yet you implied that sentiments expressed by three heroes of yours are something I should aspire to. I am not saying I am superior to any of them in any way, but I could be for all you know.

Knowledge of truth is knowledge of the forms as ideas serving as the foundation of our universe. Consider Diotima's "Ladder of Love"

Plato and his forms is just nonsense, so let me stop you right there.

If you could bring about the world you are consciously contemplating, Nick, and I were to find myself in it, as a tourist, what would strike me most about how much better it is than the world I know?