Christian Civilization -- The Central Issue

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

phyllo

Re: Christian Civilization -- The Central Issue

Post by phyllo »

Harbal wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:35 pm
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:04 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:53 pm I still have no idea what is actually being suggested.
As a starting point the transformation and restoration presented as possible involves reforging a life-line with and a connection to divinity (metaphysical being), both as a concept and as a realness that one — what is the word? — submits to or in any case relates to on inner and outer planes.

This involves the difficult feat of •overcoming oneself• as a rebellious, self-willed individual.

Then, I gather, the issue is one of locating proper and trustworthy authority, receiving advise and direction, and resolving to live it.

What sort of idiot is going to sign up for that? :?
Those are the concepts and language of a monk. Literally, that is what a monk does.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Harbal wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:35 pm What sort of idiot is going to sign up for that? :?
The wunnerful think about you, dear Harbal, is that you present us with the type of man who is constitutionally incapable of understanding, much less giving assent to, any notion of relationship to or service to higher being, metaphysics, higher truth, and the range of ideas that define the human world in all important senses. You are a rebl to the precise degree that you are brainless. But this does not mean lack of intelligence. It is really a special nexus of being and it must be understood.

You do bring up a good question -- it is actually a moral issue -- of how those in your class ('mass man' as Ortega y Gasset puts it) who is constitutionally incapable of understanding how the world he inhabits was built, but who has been given a bullhorn through which he chatters away, like a drunken monkey.

I know this is a very unpopular assertion, I always catch flack for it, but I really think it is sound. (To speak of the revolt of the masses). There are such things as hierarchies of value. And people ascend to different heights in that hierarchy of value. And those who attain those heights become authorities for us. And we grant them the power to carry on projects of construction and building.

Everything that any one of us could name -- that has value and meaning and benefits us -- has come about through those types of men.

And then there is another type of man, empowered by our present political regime, who for weird reasons has been given power that he cannot handle. He is not competent as a responsible entity or agent and, when given the opportunity, rushes forward tearing down those things that took years, decades and centuries to construct.

And then he takes a nap, of jerks off, or changes the channel on his remote for something more *entertaining*.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

phyllo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:50 pm What actual policies would be pursued and which laws would be enacted by the Christian Nationalists?
What rules and regulations were imposed (decided on) when the Constitution of the country was conceived of?

I would suggest that an answer to your question would be answered if you better understood how high ideals have created everything that we value and every benefit that we enjoy.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

phyllo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:53 pm Those are the concepts and language of a monk. Literally, that is what a monk does.
You are not just partially but thoroughly wrong. If you are speaking of the Body of Christ in a Catholic sense it is the entire congregation that participates, on one level or another, to one degree or another, in living a value-set that is defined as *higher* and of being quintessentially valuable.

True though that a monk within the monastic tradition takes the dedication to another level.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:00 pm
phyllo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:50 pm What actual policies would be pursued and which laws would be enacted by the Christian Nationalists?
What rules and regulations were imposed (decided on) when the Constitution of the country was conceived of?

I would suggest that an answer to your question would be answered if you better understood how high ideals have created everything that we value and every benefit that we enjoy.
Yes, I am ignorant.

I have lived under many political systems and around people of many religious faiths.

Therefore, I do not identify with America, the American Constitution or American Christians. I'm not part of this "we" that you keep referring to.
Harry Baird

Post by Harry Baird »

I note your voluminous protestations, nevertheless, with respect to this...
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:21 pm Weirdly, in your post previous to this, you left politely by the front door. Here, you come round to the back door
...rest assured that I was simply allowing myself a final pointed retort, and that I have no intention to reopen any doors, least of all to enter your back door, you filthy pervert. ;-)
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

phyllo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:09 pm
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:00 pm

Yes, I am ignorant.

I have lived under many political systems and around people of many religious faiths.

Therefore, I do not identify with America, the American Constitution or American Christians. I'm not part of this "we" that you keep referring to.
Could you articulate what you do identify with?

I do not understand why living among people of different faiths or political persuasions would result in non-commitment.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:56 pm
Harbal wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:35 pm What sort of idiot is going to sign up for that? :?
The wunnerful think about you, dear Harbal, is that you present us with the type of man who is constitutionally incapable of understanding, much less giving assent to, any notion of relationship to or service to higher being, metaphysics, higher truth,
There is no "higher truth"; you just want the world to be a certain way, populated by people who behave in a certain way. There is nothing higher about that; it's just your personal, screwed up preference.
and the range of ideas that define the human world in all important senses.
Much of what is important to you is not important to me, which is something that you seem to be incapable of understanding. I don't believe there is such a place as Hell waiting for us when we die, but that is no reason to create one on earth while I'm still alive.
You do bring up a good question -- it is actually a moral issue -- of how those in your class ('mass man' as Ortega y Gasset puts it) who is constitutionally incapable of understanding how the world he inhabits was built, but who has been given a bullhorn through which he chatters away, like a drunken monkey.
But I have no intention of being the monkey to your organ grinder, Jacobi.
And then there is another type of man, empowered by our present political regime, who for weird reasons has been given power that he cannot handle. He is not competent as a responsible entity or agent and, when given the opportunity, rushes forward tearing down those things that took years, decades and centuries to construct.
Well I'm not that type of man. What on earth do you imagine I tear down in a forward rush? :?
And then he takes a nap, of jerks off,
You obviously don't realise what a massive wanker you come across as.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Could you articulate what you do identify with?
I have no interest in talking about myself in these forums.
I do not understand why living among people of different faiths or political persuasions would result in non-commitment.
America, the American Constitution, American Christianity, Christianity ...

... simply loose this magical wonderfulness that is attributed to them.

One sees the merits and demerits of other systems.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Christianity is fine. I'm not a Christian but if that's what others want to be, then that is probably a good thing in so far as "love thy neighbor and enemy" are good ideas. Though, many people call themselves "Christians" who maybe shouldn't.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:59 pm Christianity is fine. I'm not a Christian but if that's what others want to be, then that is probably a good thing in so far as "love thy neighbor and enemy" are good ideas. Though, many people call themselves "Christians" who maybe shouldn't.
There is good and bad in everything.

Personal Christian belief is one thing and Christian belief as a part or a whole of government policy is another.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

phyllo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:11 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:59 pm Christianity is fine. I'm not a Christian but if that's what others want to be, then that is probably a good thing in so far as "love thy neighbor and enemy" are good ideas. Though, many people call themselves "Christians" who maybe shouldn't.
There is good and bad in everything.

Personal Christian belief is one thing and Christian belief as a part or a whole of government policy is another.
I agree. We are on the same page as far as that goes.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

phyllo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:40 pm America, the American Constitution, American Christianity, Christianity ...
I will be concerned when you begin the express doubt as to the glory of the American hamburger. 🍔

I assume that at least something remains sacrosanct to your cynical, shrouded self?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Harbal wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:39 pm But I have no intention of being the monkey to your organ grinder, Jacobi.
Let Bruno Schleinstein have all the deserved honor!

Ok, Ok its a Glockenspiel … but the idea still holds.
Last edited by Alexis Jacobi on Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

I assume that at least something remains sacrosanct to your cynical, shrouded self?
Cynical?

Hardly.

I have all sorts of positive ideas about human pursuit of truth, justice, fairness, freedom, honesty, honor, etc.

But it's not about me.