For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Re: Moral Compass

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:48 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:41 am
attofishpi wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:31 am

Adultery is very much a moral issue. Breaking the heart of someone that loves you is morally wrong.
One can define a term as whatever one like and with popular consensus its meaning will be accepted into a dictionary, note the term original meaning of 'gay' as joy, happy compared to its popular meaning currently.

One of the most critical basic of Philosophy is Coherentism.
  • Coherentism is a theory of epistemic justification. It implies that for a belief to be justified it must belong to a coherent system of beliefs. For a system of beliefs to be coherent, the beliefs that make up that system must “cohere” with one another. WIKI
All the above is irrelevant.

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:41 amOn a more refined level of Philosophy, adultery is a social vice and to classify it as a moral element would not be coherent within Morality & Ethics [as defined].
I'm not sure what dictionary you are using if you think adultery is not immoral.
No dictionary can decide what is moral or immoral.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:52 am No dictionary can decide what is moral or immoral.
A dictionary isn't deciding it but is satisfying the requirements for adultery to be classed as immoral.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Janoah wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:39 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:15 am I don't think responding to terrorism with terrorism
Come on, Gary, let’s not engage in demagoguery in this topic, it is extremely harmful to Your health. All.
Then what is the solution to all that is happening right now? How can we prevent environmental catastrophe? How can we prevent an arms race? How can we prevent worsening war? Our reactions to killing by doing more killing are not helping and all China, Russia, North Korea, and Iran singlemindedly want is to keep pushing until they get their way. If the world comes undone it will be a few totalitarian regimes that push us over the edge. What else are we supposed to do? We can't keep pushing back. We can't "one-up" them in terms of retaliation. The only choice left is to surrender and let them get their way unless we want complete annihilation for ALL of us.

If there really is a God, then God would strike down people like Putin, Jinping, Un, and Khamenei and the people who are enabling and backing them. I haven't seen that happen yet. God must want the relative democracies of the world to bow to them.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:22 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:15 am I don't think responding to terrorism with terrorism
Come on, Gary, let’s not engage in demagoguery in this topic, it is extremely harmful to Your health. All.
Then what is the solution to all that is happening right now? How can we prevent environmental catastrophe? How can we prevent an arms race? How can we prevent worsening war? Our reactions to killing by doing more killing are not helping and all China, Russia, North Korea, and Iran singlemindedly want is to keep pushing until they get their way. If the world comes undone it will be a few totalitarian regimes that push us over the edge. What else are we supposed to do? We can't keep pushing back. We can't "one-up" them in terms of retaliation. The only choice left is to surrender and let them get their way unless we want complete annihilation for ALL of us.

If there really is a God, then God would strike down people like Putin, Jinping, Un, and Khamenei and the people who are enabling and backing them. I haven't seen that happen yet. God must want the relative democracies of the world to bow to them.
Well, look what happened to SadDam WhosSane? :wink:
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:25 am

Well, look what happened to SadDam WhosSane? :wink:
Yes. And what got him out of power was to invade Iraq and then some in Iraq rebelled and there was more bloodshed.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:40 am Yes. And what got him out of power was to invade Iraq and then some in Iraq rebelled and there was more bloodshed.
Eh? I thought he invaded QueueWait.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:50 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:40 am Yes. And what got him out of power was to invade Iraq and then some in Iraq rebelled and there was more bloodshed.
He did. And the only thing that got him out of power was to invade Iraq. However, there were those who resisted the invasion and it escalated into worse bloodshed. The evil may lose but not after they've taken a hell of a lot of people with them. And now nukes are becoming more available to countries that didn't have them before.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:57 am
He did. And the only thing that got him out of power was to invade Iraq. However, there were those who resisted the invasion and it escalated into worse bloodshed. The evil may lose but not after they've taken a hell of a lot of people with them. And now nukes are becoming more available to countries that didn't have them before.
He was the leader of EyeRack.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:01 pm

Yes, the puns are cute. You're very good at making them.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:03 pm

Thanks, God makes them easy. :wink:

I thought when you said he invaded Iraq that maybe you meant from his mother's vagina.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:05 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:03 pm

I thought when you said he invaded Iraq that maybe you meant from his mother's vagina.
No. The US invaded Iraq.
Janoah

Post by Janoah »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:56 am
If one is highly moral or ethical, one will be spontaneously moral in one's actions without the involvement of conscience.
Conscience is what distinguishes man from animal.
An animal can be trained in manners that are considered “moral”, a dog can be trained not to bite, and a parrot can be trained to say “thank you” and “please”, but this will not make the animal moral, neither high nor low.
As they say, a dog is a man's friend, but it's bad when a man is a dog.
Janoah

Post by Janoah »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:53 am
I'm having difficulty understanding what you're trying to argue for or against.
First of all, I am for the truth.

*** Do you mean you're a Uniformitarian? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniformitarianism)***

Thanks for the link!

The formulated laws of nature are always only limited and approximate models, but they reflect, to some extent, the really existing regularity of nature, which cannot be comprehended absolutely, but which really exists.

And again, for those who do not agree that everything in the world happens regular, nothing can be proven, because what science does is discover and explore the laws of nature.
Therefore, I would like to understand whether you agree that everything in the world happens with regularity?
Janoah

Post by Janoah »

Then what is the solution to all that is happening right now?
The path to peace, harmony and ecological survival is to find consensus on a true moral compass.

By the way, Ayatollah Khomeini wrote a letter to Gorbachev urging him to turn to philosophy.

What kind of moral compass are Western leaders talking about?
I see that they mainly preach, impose, and worship mainly democracy and liberalism.
But even the ancient Greeks, who coined the term “democracy,” came to the conclusion that democracy fundamentally pursues not truth, but populism, and "a demagogue" is a democratic leader, translated from Greek.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Janoah wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:26 pmThe formulated laws of nature are always only limited and approximate models, but they reflect, to some extent, the really existing regularity of nature, which cannot be comprehended absolutely, but which really exists.

And again, for those who do not agree that everything in the world happens regular, nothing can be proven, because what science does is discover and explore the laws of nature.
Therefore, I would like to understand whether you agree that everything in the world happens with regularity?
This is interesting to think about and on a brief thought of your question, it may even point to the notion of free-will in humans. Yes, I think everything in nature does happen with regularity, but certainly my trips to England have no regularity, whereas migratory birds generally do!