Vestibule Architect's lazy false precision problem

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

FlashDangerpants

Re: Vestibule Architect's lazy false precision problem

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:16 pm I think somewhere he says he is using numbers sort of tentatively
If you take any of his claims at all, they always are firm when first exapressed. Then under pressure to explain them, he never meant them to be taken too literally. Then when you aren't there beating him up, they are firm again.

A couple of weeks ago he wanted me to believe that the phrase "half truth" means that a statement is comprised of exactly 50% truth and 50% untruth. Today he's "used quantification in its respective context as a very rough guide which does not mean to be absolutely conclusive". It's got nothing to do with what he can demonstrate, and is all completey governed by what he thinks he can get away with. Tomorrow he'll be assumig his bullshit numbers are exact again.

He never learns from any mistake, he much prefers to re-live them like some groundhog day of the shrivelled soul.
Iwannaplato

Re: Vestibule Architect's lazy false precision problem

Post by Iwannaplato »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:58 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:16 pm I think somewhere he says he is using numbers sort of tentatively
If you take any of his claims at all, they always are firm when first exapressed. Then under pressure to explain them, he never meant them to be taken too literally. Then when you aren't there beating him up, they are firm again.

A couple of weeks ago he wanted me to believe that the phrase "half truth" means that a statement is comprised of exactly 50% truth and 50% untruth. Today he's "used quantification in its respective context as a very rough guide which does not mean to be absolutely conclusive". It's got nothing to do with what he can demonstrate, and is all completey governed by what he thinks he can get away with. Tomorrow he'll be assumig his bullshit numbers are exact again.

He never learns from any mistake, he much prefers to re-live them like some groundhog day of the shrivelled soul.
SEriously what the fuck this idiocy around absolute and absolutely.

Does he mean it is conclusive but not absolutely conclusive?

If he thinks it is conclusive but not absolutely conclusive then he shoulld take a stand and claim that it is conclusive (which would be a ridiculous claim, but at least that is clear and honest).

If he doesn't think it is conclusive, then he can drop the absolutely.

It is game playing and hedging and thus disingenous.

To be charitabe one could assume he hasn't the slightest idea how strong the word 'conclusive' is.