WHY DO YOU THINK WE ARE HERE? WHY DO WE EXIST?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Davyboi

Re: WHY DO YOU THINK WE ARE HERE? WHY DO WE EXIST?

Post by Davyboi »

Hi people, I was looking through different sites, trying to get more of an input/knowledge of different ideas. And one idea has kinda made me think, " OUR WE THE UNIVERSE JUST EXPERIENCING ITSELF?" ideas people please!
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Davyboi wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:27 am
Dubious wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:51 pm Why do we exist?

For the same reason why we're here; organic chemistry...which also includes everything else that's alive.
If it was just organic chemistry, then how does quantum mechanics come into it? Two dimensions different from each other? Matter organic..and no matter. Yet both exist as one!
Without QM nothing would exist including the universe. The realities we perceive are based on evermore prior layers of abstraction upholding it. There may be different dimensions but they all intertwine to create the edifice we acknowledge as a singularity called the universe in which every process depends on a prior one for its operation. So, in effect, your response is a non-sequitur since organic chemistry, as everything else, is contained within the field of QM.

The next obvious question is what "lower layer" defines the field of QM.
Davyboi

Post by Davyboi »

Dubious wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:55 am
Davyboi wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:27 am
Dubious wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:51 pm Why do we exist?

For the same reason why we're here; organic chemistry...which also includes everything else that's alive.
If it was just organic chemistry, then how does quantum mechanics come into it? Two dimensions different from each other? Matter organic..and no matter. Yet both exist as one!
Without QM nothing would exist including the universe. The realities we perceive are based on evermore prior layers of abstraction upholding it. There may be different dimensions but they all intertwine to create the edifice we acknowledge as a singularity called the universe in which every process depends on a prior one for its operation. So, in effect, your response is a non-sequitur since organic chemistry, as everything else, is contained within the field of QM.

The next obvious question is what "lower layer" defines the field of QM.
I do agree, our reality that we perceive is based on QM. So that is part of our existence, so at some level we must be aware of this, if all the cells that make us. Are subject to GM, then every photon we perceive as light, then process as a particular visual experience. PARTICLE...have the same information contained in a WAVE.. They are both the same,yet we can only perceive one form as our reality.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Davyboi wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:21 amIt is an unaswerable question, yet I still feel the urge to find out why? Why is that?
One explanation is that you evolved into being that way.

All animals learn, and enjoy learning. They recognize patterns in the world around them, and those patterns guide their lives, which gives them survival advantage. If two giraffes walk in the Savannah, and one has learned there is a lion's den nearby, and the other one does not know, then the one which knows, will avoid that area, and will lessen his or her chances to be eaten by lions that day.

So knowledge is power, and learning is a joy.

Warm-blooded animals (mammals and birds) have crossed a quantum difference of learning style, compared to other animals. We, mammals and birds, have curiousity. We don't learn by sheer experience, we go out to find things we haven't learned yet. What's behind that mountain? What if I sass back to the teacher? What if I get others to put me in a tin can and shoot me up into the sky, to pass out of the atmosphere on the far side?

Curiosity is one reason that philosophy developed. Philosophy and religions are notorious to explain what science can't explain. Philosophy is secular explanation, religion is a dogmatic one that employs supernatural forces in its explanations. Philosophy is more like science, because it can be bent by reason and by experience. Religion can't.

Anyway, I digressed. Philosophy is just another way of asking, "What's inside this dark cave I have never been in?" or "What could be a way to find such a number that when you multiply it by itself, you get to a pre-given nu8mber?" Or "What do breasts (or large, strong muscles) feel like to the touch?" or "What can we learn from the sheer fact of presuming that the speed of light can't be exceeded?"or "Why are we here?"
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Davyboi wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:13 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:46 am
Davyboi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:50 am I know this is a basic question! But why our we here, most people go through there lives not questioning the reason why? People like us have ideas, views an urge to understand what this is all about? Do you think we are ever going to find the answer?
Is why really the rational choice given who, what, when, where, How? Should the question just be "existence?"
I totally agree, "should the question just be "existence" but obviously it's not otherwise we all wouldn't be on this forum expressing philosophical ideas about the reason the world exists, our interactions with it etc. To just exist is to just be in the present moment, except what has happened, what is happening, what may happen!
So let's look at it this way. The question "existence", which contains as elements "who, what, when, where, how, why". Hence we can see six dimensions to the question. The questions now are who?, what?, when? Where? How? Why?.

We know they exist through the question of existence, hence exist, but what are these six degrees of existence?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Davyboi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:50 am I know this is a basic question! But why our we here, most people go through there lives not questioning the reason why? People like us have ideas, views an urge to understand what this is all about? Do you think we are ever going to find the answer?
IMO based on everything I've observed and experienced, some will but most won't. But the irony is that the future of Man will depend on this minority feeling the need to consciously experience your question being opposed by society which has been conditioned to believe that it IS ultimate meaning and purpose for Man.

It seems to me that your question as to why we are here requires first opening to two questions:

1. What is the universe and what purpose does it serve?

2.What is Man and what purpose does it serve within the universe?

beginning to appreciate your question scientifically first requires a hypothesis as to the living machine we call universe and what we ARE that we can strive to verify through conscious impartial efforts to know thyself - the mini universe called Man

The World is against it as it must be to preserve its acquired dualistic preconceptions.

But IMO, until humanity as a whole acquires the inner understanding of universal purpose and what we ARE, the cycles of human life described in Ecclesiastes 3 including war and peace will continue as usual. Those who will have acquired understanding will help to minimize the future consequences of the"usual" through the quality of their being. But since we are as we are, everything will continue to be as it is for humanity. However the individual has conscious possibilities society as a whole of what Plato called the Beast remains unaware of.
Davyboi

Post by Davyboi »

-1- wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:30 am
Davyboi wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:21 amIt is an unaswerable question, yet I still feel the urge to find out why? Why is that?
One explanation is that you evolved into being that way.

All animals learn, and enjoy learning. They recognize patterns in the world around them, and those patterns guide their lives, which gives them survival advantage. If two giraffes walk in the Savannah, and one has learned there is a lion's den nearby, and the other one does not know, then the one which knows, will avoid that area, and will lessen his or her chances to be eaten by lions that day.

So knowledge is power, and learning is a joy.

Warm-blooded animals (mammals and birds) have crossed a quantum difference of learning style, compared to other animals. We, mammals and birds, have curiousity. We don't learn by sheer experience, we go out to find things we haven't learned yet. What's behind that mountain? What if I sass back to the teacher? What if I get others to put me in a tin can and shoot me up into the sky, to pass out of the atmosphere on the far side?

Curiosity is one reason that philosophy developed. Philosophy and religions are notorious to explain what science can't explain. Philosophy is secular explanation, religion is a dogmatic one that employs supernatural forces in its explanations. Philosophy is more like science, because it can be bent by reason and by experience. Religion can't.

Anyway, I digressed. Philosophy is just another way of asking, "What's inside this dark cave I have never been in?" or "What could be a way to find such a number that when you multiply it by itself, you get to a pre-given nu8mber?" Or "What do breasts (or large, strong muscles) feel like to the touch?" or "What can we learn from the sheer fact of presuming that the speed of light can't be exceeded?"or "Why are we here?"
Interesting answer, I agree we our bound by emotions, but surely that Carnt just be our only goal.. science now tells we are have extra dimensions, are space exploration studying other planets, the maths alone tell us there must be other life. Why our we searching? We seek answers, and we finding new information that when you think about it, is bizzare! I do totally agree with you over religion, mass control governed by a set of views,rules. I think philosophy has changed more in our day, we are trying connect science and spiritual views. With alot more data/information then are ancestors.
Davyboi

Post by Davyboi »

Nick_A wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:42 pm
IMO based on everything I've observed and experienced, some will but most won't. But the irony is that the future of Man will depend on this minority feeling the need to consciously experience your question being opposed by society which has been conditioned to believe that it IS ultimate meaning and purpose for Man.

It seems to me that your question as to why we are here requires first opening to two questions:

1. What is the universe and what purpose does it serve?

2.What is Man and what purpose does it serve within the universe?

beginning to appreciate your question scientifically first requires a hypothesis as to the living machine we call universe and what we ARE that we can strive to verify through conscious impartial efforts to know thyself - the mini universe called Man

The World is against it as it must be to preserve its acquired dualistic preconceptions.

But IMO, until humanity as a whole acquires the inner understanding of universal purpose and what we ARE, the cycles of human life described in Ecclesiastes 3 including war and peace will continue as usual. Those who will have acquired understanding will help to minimize the future consequences of the"usual" through the quality of their being. But since we are as we are, everything will continue to be as it is for humanity. However the individual has conscious possibilities society as a whole of what Plato called the Beast remains unaware of.
I agree, I read somewhere that we are just a way of the universe to understand itself, i don't know why but my mind keeps playing on that statement I read.
Please forgive what I type next, just that I am trying to express my thoughts, as I think them. So might read a bit random! Lol. when think about it, some kinda point in that. If there is an object and 10 people our observing it. All 10 people would perceive it in a different way, no one's perspective is wrong, yet it still an object, if a 100 or a 1000 people viewed it, each would perceive it differently. certain perceptions of the object would have been experienced by all. Which as a group defines the object? Hope I'm making sense..
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Davyboi
I agree, I read somewhere that we are just a way of the universe to understand itself, i don't know why but my mind keeps playing on that statement I read.
That is another very interesting question. As I understand it, Our ineffable source beyond the limitations of time and space includes all lawful conscious potential. Consider our source as No-thing, Its expression into every-thing taking place within the limitations of time and space as an eternal process is the means for the Source to be complete. No-thing and every-thing become connected in the conscious universal processes of involution (the process of the levels of creation) and evolution (the conscious process of return to the Source.) So for some reason the universal experience is an essential aspect of our Source.

Please forgive what I type next, just that I am trying to express my thoughts, as I think them. So might read a bit random! Lol. when think about it, some kinda point in that. If there is an object and 10 people our observing it. All 10 people would perceive it in a different way, no one's perspective is wrong, yet it still an object, if a 100 or a 1000 people viewed it, each would perceive it differently. certain perceptions of the object would have been experienced by all. Which as a group defines the object? Hope I'm making sense..
Nothing to forgive as far as I'm concerned. I agree that we all contain a piece of the truth. In this way we are all different. This runs contrary to the modern belief that we are all the same so just need to be indoctrinated. Some become wise enough IMO to ponder what would happen if people could put their pieces together to better experience the whole from which their piece devolved. But experience has taught us that as a whole people prefer to argue and condemn for the sake of acquiring prestige. So once again IMO the wise minority advances in ways impossible for those obsessed with worldly prestige.
Davyboi

Post by Davyboi »

Nick_A wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:03 am Davyboi
That is another very interesting question. As I understand it, Our ineffable source beyond the limitations of time and space includes all lawful conscious potential. Consider our source as No-thing, Its expression into every-thing taking place within the limitations of time and space as an eternal process is the means for the Source to be complete. No-thing and every-thing become connected in the conscious universal processes of involution (the process of the levels of creation) and evolution (the conscious process of return to the Source.) So for some reason the universal experience is an essential aspect of our Source.

Nothing to forgive as far as I'm concerned. I agree that we all contain a piece of the truth. In this way we are all different. This runs contrary to the modern belief that we are all the same so just need to be indoctrinated. Some become wise enough IMO to ponder what would happen if people could put their pieces together to better experience the whole from which their piece devolved. But experience has taught us that as a whole people prefer to argue and condemn for the sake of acquiring prestige. So once again IMO the wise minority advances in ways impossible for those obsessed with worldly prestige.
So basically it's like having a giant jigsaw puzzle, the image on the box it came in is a constant. Does not change. Yet we are all given the peices to construct this image, depending on which pieces you decide to join, and the area that you chose to construct them, depends on the view that you have. Different areas of the puzzle will give different views, yet it is still part of the same image!
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Davyboi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:12 am Please share your views, ideas people! I would be interested to know what people think? Thank you!
We are here to show our descendants how their ancestors lived and evolved.
Davyboi

Post by Davyboi »

QuantumT wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:21 pm
Davyboi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:12 am Please share your views, ideas people! I would be interested to know what people think? Thank you!
We are here to show our descendants how their ancestors lived and evolved.
We don't tho, in this world we live in, we are self centered, no one seems or listens to the previous generation.
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Davyboi wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:25 pm We don't tho, in this world we live in, we are self centered, no one seems or listens to the previous generation.
Maybe theirs was that way too.
Davyboi

Post by Davyboi »

QuantumT wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:28 pm
Davyboi wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:25 pm We don't tho, in this world we live in, we are self centered, no one seems or listens to the previous generation.
Maybe theirs was that way too.
Maybe you are right, I personally don't think that are primal instinct s have changed much . But I do think that as we are much more connected now due to media, science internet, we have lost are identity, in order to gain something you have to lose something first.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Davyboi
N. Nothing to forgive as far as I'm concerned. I agree that we all contain a piece of the truth. In this way we are all different. This runs contrary to the modern belief that we are all the same so just need to be indoctrinated. Some become wise enough IMO to ponder what would happen if people could put their pieces together to better experience the whole from which their piece devolved. But experience has taught us that as a whole people prefer to argue and condemn for the sake of acquiring prestige. So once again IMO the wise minority advances in ways impossible for those obsessed with worldly prestige.

So basically it's like having a giant jigsaw puzzle, the image on the box it came in is a constant. Does not change. Yet we are all given the peices to construct this image, depending on which pieces you decide to join, and the area that you chose to construct them, depends on the view that you have. Different areas of the puzzle will give different views, yet it is still part of the same image!
Does this make sense?
“Colors are the deeds/ and sufferings of light.” ~ Goethe
Colors continually exist within NOW or the white light. They represent the vertical objective quality of the moment connecting above and below as opposed to subjective quality defined by what happens within one level of reality in linear time.

Plato described the quality of a moment as the relationship between knowledge and opinion.

Knowledge is an expression of the white light or the Good. It is knowledge of essence. Colors are opinions created by our reactions to the visible world.

The philosopher kings would have experienced knowledge allowing society to represent objective purpose, while the politicians are people of opinions.

We exist to become consciously one with knowledge serving a universal purpose as opposed to creatures of reaction expressing opinions. Of course it is denied if for no other reason because knowledge assumes a conscious source often interpreted as the dreaded G word. This is too offensive to consider in secular society limiting it to the struggle over opinions. As a result everything continues as is in accordance with earthly and cosmic laws resulting in only a change in form