Survival techniques for oversensitive people

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greta

Re: Survival techniques for oversensitive people

Post by Greta »

Your selfish Republican political hijack of this thread is boring, Maureen.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Greta wrote:Your selfish Republican political hijack of this thread is boring, Maureen.
Apologies, Forrest. Merely correcting the suppositional with the factual in regards to the Trump/sensitivity relationship, mere hours before the magic moment when Trump becomes The Mighty POTUS, and everything changes, as you shall see.

No intent to hijack, merely illustrating Trump as a broader world-relevance to the topic of sensitivity defined as intelligence, and over-sensitivity defined as over-thinking, which has far more philosophical relevance and application than pigeon-holing folks according to the known, a knowing of reality which is likely less accurate than one sensitive enough to shape thought into reality on such a scale as Trump has done.

Carry on.
Skip

Post by Skip »

It's going to be a biggest and most protracted smash-and-grab heist of all time.
I would strongly advise all sensitive people - not merely the hypersensitive, but all the way up to the burlap underwear brigade - to lay in plenty of provisions, ordnance, sandbags and mattresses.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Skip wrote:It's going to be a biggest and most protracted smash-and-grab heist of all time.
I would strongly advise all sensitive people - not merely the hypersensitive, but all the way up to the burlap underwear brigade - to lay in plenty of provisions, ordnance, sandbags and mattresses.
And here was me thinking about downsizing :roll:
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Blue,

if you don't already have one: get a gun...not cuz of anything Trump will do but simply: it's good to be able to shoot folks who'd use you as their resource (bad guys, criminals, thieves, rapers, etc.), and, it's good to be able to feed yourself.

Beyond that: you downsize to your heart's content.
marjoram_blues

Re:

Post by marjoram_blues »

henry quirk wrote:Blue,

if you don't already have one: get a gun...not cuz of anything Trump will do but simply: it's good to be able to shoot folks who'd use you as their resource (bad guys, criminals, thieves, rapers, etc.), and, it's good to be able to feed yourself.

Beyond that: you downsize to your heart's content.
Hennery dearest - if I had a gun, I would probably kill someone in a fit of hypersensitive anger. Then I would go to jail. And I would not like that.

Now, perhaps I could be plantin' some tatties'n'neeps...but ah'lll no be shooting no low-flying haggis for any future Night of the Burns.

Then again...a gun might come in handy when I decide I've had enuff said and done...
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

You don't strike me as a suicidal, thin-skinned, leaf eater, Blue.
marjoram_blues

Re:

Post by marjoram_blues »

henry quirk wrote:You don't strike me as a suicidal, thin-skinned, leaf eater, Blue.
Hmmmph.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

marjoram_blues wrote:
henry quirk wrote:You don't strike me as a suicidal, thin-skinned, leaf eater, Blue.
Hmmmph.
I may have done the same with a gun, with the difference that I would probably ended happy for a while after doing it XD. Don't pay attention to the caveman.
marjoram_blues

Re:

Post by marjoram_blues »

TSBU wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:
Hmmmph.
I may have done the same with a gun, with the difference that I would probably ended happy for a while after doing it XD. Don't pay attention to the caveman.
Why the hell would you be happy after killing someone just because you had a fleeting and uncontrollable hissy fit at them for being obnoxious, or hateful ? Self control is the order of the day.
And the best strategy to achieve that - and survive your own dystructive thoughts...?
Greta

Post by Greta »

While the flaws of sensitive people have been spoken about, Henry has contributed to the thread by graphically illustrating some of the problems with insensitivity, eg. rapid resort to violence and obtuseness.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Greta wrote:While the flaws of sensitive people have been spoken about, Henry has contributed to the thread by graphically illustrating some of the problems with insensitivity, eg. rapid resort to violence and obtuseness.
Yes, henry is rather blunt, in so may ways.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Harbal wrote:
Greta wrote:While the flaws of sensitive people have been spoken about, Henry has contributed to the thread by graphically illustrating some of the problems with insensitivity, eg. rapid resort to violence and obtuseness.
Yes, henry is rather blunt, in so may ways.
Still, to be fair, having a relatively dulled experience of reality can have its advantages. If you, Henry and I were lost in a forest with dangerous animals and humans around, he'd probably be a better person to have there than me, at least, more able to handle the rough stuff and almost certainly more brave.

Society needs all types. Very broadly* it needs the insensitive (soldiers, police, prison warders) to survive and the sensitive (healers, artists, teachers) to make society something that's actually worth preserving.

I think the best survival tool for the sensitive is humour. If you can't laugh at and with yourself and others, then the world will seem a grim place.

* taking into account that there will be some overlap in the sensitivity levels of individuals in those broad groups.
TSBU

Re: Re:

Post by TSBU »

marjoram_blues wrote:
TSBU wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:
Hmmmph.
Why the hell would you be happy after killing someone just because you had a fleeting and uncontrollable hissy fit at them for being obnoxious, or hateful ? Self control is the order of the day.
And the best strategy to achieve that - and survive your own dystructive thoughts...?
Do you really want me to answer? Because I forced myself to see evil and nasty things in this place long ago, I know where it is, and I'm always controling myself, because of a simple reason: It is just bigger than me, I can't delete evil in the Universe, fighting would destroy me.
In real life, all I "should" do is get away and put barriers between evil people and me... and I don't really care a lot about that. The only difference would be to see it "from a short distance", enough to touch my feelings till the point where my barriers are broken. But deep inside I've always desired to destroy some people, I'm afraid I'm that common kind of person. And feeling free would made me happy for a while no matter the consequences.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Greta wrote:If you, Henry and I were lost in a forest with dangerous animals
Lost in a forest with henry? For God's sake, Greta, are you trying to make me have nightmares?