A Possible Explanation to the Phenomenon of "Telepathy"

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bernard

Re: A Possible Explanation to the Phenomenon of "Telepathy"

Post by Bernard »

Again, its a different type of proof. I don't know much about Crowley, but whether you like it or not, I have had very real experiences of the unknown. All I know is that it took work to get there and still does. I don't say that to make anyone shrink back. Its enjoyable work, and there are no big secrets to it.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Bernard wrote:Again, its a different type of proof. I don't know much about Crowley, but whether you like it or not, I have had very real experiences of the unknown. All I know is that it took work to get there and still does. I don't say that to make anyone shrink back. Its enjoyable work, and there are no big secrets to it.
You seem to be talking bollocks.

You have experienced the unknown?!?! LOL DO you know how stupid that sounds?
You are just spending hours getting stuck inside your own head - enjoy!
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

converge wrote:Chaz - I will save you the trouble.... Bernard is talking about magic, using the new-age occult explanations for why it might actually be real despite the fact that it never actually works and is impossible. The general idea is "Magic is real, but in order to understand you have to do lots of work and it's really hard and I know it's real but you never will because you're lazy and I'm not but oh don't ask me for any specifics because it's all very secret and complex and you wouldn't possibly understand without reading these fifty books first and maybe giving a bunch of money to some cult somewhere." Crowley and company would sometimes philosophize around the idea that maybe their crazy spells would work if you decided that things like evidence and science and reason weren't allowed to be used to think about their magic (Typist would approve) but in the end they never would get specific, it was important to always couch it in the theme that the real answer is secret and occult and could only be known by spending all your time and money at your local new age book store.
Yeah. I guess I'm just too lazy skeptical and probably blind to the telepathic powers. Worse than that I probably represent an earlier evolution of the human species, whereas Bernard is the all new improved homo occultus. Gee whizz if only I had evolved to his magnificent and exalted position!
Mike Strand

Post by Mike Strand »

Hey, chaz, your idea of homo occultus is fascinating. If such evolution ever occurs, it may prove to be a big step backwards in terms of natural selection and adaptivity to the earth environment. It would be like being at a large, loud party of people and poor acoustics. Well, maybe homo occultus II will have the ability to tune out, and also to choose whom to tune into. "Why don't you ever listen to me?" would be a more common and plaguing question from significant others. And homo occultus would be well advised to learn to control their thoughts, whereas we homo sapiens only have to try to control our written and spoken words, which is difficult enough. Thought control! Of myself? Or by Big Brother? Uggh!
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Mike Strand wrote:Hey, chaz, your idea of homo occultus is fascinating. If such evolution ever occurs, it may prove to be a big step backwards in terms of natural selection and adaptivity to the earth environment. It would be like being at a large, loud party of people and poor acoustics. Well, maybe homo occultus II will have the ability to tune out, and also to choose whom to tune into. "Why don't you ever listen to me?" would be a more common and plaguing question from significant others. And homo occultus would be well advised to learn to control their thoughts, whereas we homo sapiens only have to try to control our written and spoken words, which is difficult enough. Thought control! Of myself? Or by Big Brother? Uggh!
The prospect is horrific. In truth though, those that think they are homo occultus, are probably no more than members of the rank of the homo i think i am sapiens, or homo deludus. They still seem to be in a minority. But to maintain their position as number one human all they have to do is breed more than other types - because reproductive success is all that evolution runs on.
They seem to be doing that very successfully if the Catholic church is anything to go by. I suppose this proves that evolution is no guarantee of greatness, and its not all its often cracked up to be.
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

chaz wyman wrote:
Bernard wrote:Again, its a different type of proof. I don't know much about Crowley, but whether you like it or not, I have had very real experiences of the unknown. All I know is that it took work to get there and still does. I don't say that to make anyone shrink back. Its enjoyable work, and there are no big secrets to it.

Its not stupid at all. The unknown is what isn't accepted as normal perception, but is possible to perceive. There is also the unknowable which not only is not acceptable, but is impossible to accept.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Bernard wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:

Its not stupid at all. The unknown is what isn't accepted as normal perception, but is possible to perceive. There is also the unknowable which not only is not acceptable, but is impossible to accept.
So you are saying you are not normal - i knew that all along!
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

Skeptics are such pompous gits. They expect others to believe that life is all about physical mechanism, even consciousness. How doughy is that? They applaud each other in their little dark corners, they keep their spirits under wraps - tied and chain to their unfaced fears of oblivion and chaos. How can they see that there is nowhere empty of life - that life is the story, that life is the god-head?

The night of their lives will fall, the dark of their minds will fail.
Typist

Post by Typist »

Bernard wrote:Skeptics are such pompous gits. They expect others to believe that life is all about physical mechanism, even consciousness.
It's perhaps most accurate and objective to propose that all of us have a strong inclination to become prisoners of the flavor of mind we have inherited.

If we are artistically inclined, all of reality tends to look like one huge fantastic piece of art.

If we are inspirationally inclined, all of reality tends to look like a source of inspiration.

If we are mechanically inclined, all of reality tends to look like a big piece of machinery.

And so on...

Some of us are adamant about being prisoners of the flavor of mind we are within. In these cases, there is an insistence that all of reality must reflect our own personal situation. It simply MUST!! For some of us, the idea that reality may contain qualities we are unable to access is just too uncomfortable.

We can think of thought in general, and our personalities in particular, as being like the sun glasses we are wearing as we view reality.

If we don't know we're wearing sunglasses, or don't realize our sunglasses are tinted say, pink, then we will fail to account for the distortion introduced by the device we are using to observe reality.

If we aren't interested in the tools we are using to conduct our investigation, then our inquiry is doomed from the start. Imagine the astronomer who has a disdainful disinterest in telescopes. Not a serious scientist.
converge

Post by converge »

Wow Typist... so you've moved on from God to start lecturing us all about how close-minded and blind we are for not believing some random guy on the forum has secret magical telepathic wizard powers. I just remembered, I have a bridge for sale...
Typist

Post by Typist »

converge wrote:Wow Typist... you are the most brilliant writer I have ever encountered, and I find myself greatly inspired by the deep insights presented in your posts. Please tell us more!!
Thank you my son, thank you. I shall try my best to accommodate your request.

But only if you give me one of those cool chairs made out of beer cans.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bernard wrote:Skeptics are such pompous gits. They expect others to believe that life is all about physical mechanism, even consciousness. How doughy is that? They applaud each other in their little dark corners, they keep their spirits under wraps - tied and chain to their unfaced fears of oblivion and chaos. How can they see that there is nowhere empty of life - that life is the story, that life is the god-head? ...
Then explain what you mean by "telepathy"? Do you mean reading anothers thoughts at a distance?
Can you tell us what techniques and practices you used that convinced you that whatever it is exists?
We're all going to die but is this a threat? You going to psi-blast us?
Mike Strand

Post by Mike Strand »

Hubris - anyone can have it -- scientists as well as occultists. But occultists tend to claim no one else, or at most a very few others, understand their "powers", whereas scientists, and even police detectives and their colleagues in forensics, while proud of their hard-won evidence, at least can show it to others, even school children, and actually must show it as part of their jobs.

The pride of the occultist, it seems to me almost by necessity, takes on a different and even darker hue than the pride of a scientist. The occultist claims to have powers beyond what the vast majority of people have or even would claim to be possible. It seems there isn't anything that makes them doubt themselves. Even if their claims are a pose, for the sake of publicity or fame, they are too proud to give it up. The whole point of the pose is to achieve -- what is it they're trying to achieve? Admiration? Book sales? Or more dangerous -- power over gullible people?

Here's my point: Even if it were true that some people can read the thoughts of others, why should any of the rest of us accept or admire that power? Given the frailty of human beings, the holder of such power could be dangerous. The mind-reader would be tempted to use it for ill purposes. Watch out for the occultist who, if you challenge him with the possible abuse of power, says that he is also morally superior to the rest of humanity. Then we might see him as a potential threat and recommend he undergo psychotherapy, whether he has the power or not. In any case, if it were true that the occultist both had the power and was wise and benevolent, you could argue that he wouldn't use that power, and so what's the use of having it in the first place?

The occultist to worry about is the one who is like the rest of us morally and uses his claimed powers (whether he actually has them or not) to do actual harm. But it's still OK to buy his book voluntarily, for example, if you're curious.

On the other hand, a professional magician, while proud of his skill, knows, as does the audience, that it's that skill that is being admired, not some special power that puts him above the rest of humanity.

Also distinct from the occultist, scientists and detectives are at least expected to be open to new evidence, or better reasoning on existing evidence -- it's really the definition of their job. This is not to say a detective or scientist is not above faking or hiding evidence, but the penalties for being caught are severe.

The occultist has more of a tendency (understatement?) to hide evidence or refuse to submit to a test or discount evidence that goes against his case -- or get other people to say, yes, yes, and have them hide the evidence for him. And the penalties for being found out? -- Severe only if someone actually got hurt by the occultist's actions according to existing civil or criminal law. Otherwise, the occultist loses book sales or gets laughed at ... hmmm, ... which may be the most severe penalty of all for the proud occultist, I would imagine.

This is not intended as criticism of those of you who are curious about mental telepathy and want to look into any studies about it or buy books by occultists out of curiosity. Back when I was taking a course in experimental statistics as a young college student, I did experiments with my family and a deck of cards to see if any of us had the power to read minds. We have extremely weak powers, if any at all. Anyway, I'm still occupied with trying to "read the thoughts" of people when they write them down for me in black and white!
Last edited by Mike Strand on Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Typist

Post by Typist »

Mike, was Mozart an occultist? How about Einstein?

Does the fact that none of us could write symphonies when we were 7 years old prove that Mozart was some kind of hyped up fantasy scam?

Did you study the bell curve as a statistics student? If we are not to suffer from hubris ourselves, perhaps we should recognize that just because the vast majority in the middle of the bell curve do not have ability XYZ, that doesn't prove that rare individuals out at the ends of the bell curve don't.

I have telepathy mind reading powers myself. It's true. Let me see here, I'll put on a demonstration. Hold one moment please.....

Ok, I'm ready.

Right now Chaz is poised over his keyboard, about to yell "YOU FRIGGING FANTASY IDIOT!!!!"

Ooops, now that he's read my prediction, he's changed his mind.

See?

Easy peasy!
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Bernard wrote:Skeptics are such pompous gits.

Ha Ha. Skeptics require ridiculous assertions to have some basis in evidence or reason. The fact that you find them pompous is because you are in the habit of talking a load of bollocks!

They expect others to believe that life is all about physical mechanism, even consciousness. How doughy is that?

They don't expect to be so easily caricatured. What the fuck do you know about life? You have said nothing worthwhile about anything. All you have done is to make some vague and diffuse comments on unsubstantiated wishings.

They applaud each other in their little dark corners, they keep their spirits under wraps - tied and chain to their unfaced fears of oblivion and chaos. How can they see that there is nowhere empty of life - that life is the story, that life is the god-head?

Teehee. Now you are dreaming up cabals of schemers out to get you!!! Mwahahahahah!!!
Yes, my precious!!

Do you have ANYTHING to say???