For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: Meaning?

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:17 pm
Harbal wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:02 pm
Age wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:50 pm

Belief, which is what the 'religion' word refers to anyway, never gives meaning to life.

Learning and knowing what the meaning of Life is, exactly, is obtained in another way.
I don't really know what the term, "meaning of life", means. I can only guess.
Okay.

But, if someone was to ask you, for example, 'What is the meaning of the word 'life'?', do you know what the term means then?

Do you have to guess this as well?

Also, what about 'the meaning of tree'. Is that also a term that you do not really know means and have to also guess?

If you added the word 'the' in front of the term, 'meaning of life', then can you then know what that term means? Or, are you still guessing.

To me, the term, 'the meaning of life' just means the exact same thing as the term, 'the meaning of [any other word].

And, how the meaning of every word is found and obtained is a Truly very simple and very easy process, well to me anyway.

For example, 'the meaning of [the word] 'life' is just living: being alive. Which was, and is, just obtained by just looking up 'that word' in a dictionary.

Which again is exactly how 'the meaning of' absolutely every other word is obtained and found, as well.
I can see what's happened here, but I can't think of a way to clear it up without ending up wishing I hadn't tried.

Post by Age »

attofishpi wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:21 pm Have any of you ever had a "lucid dream"? (A dream where you are fully aware you are asleep and within a dream - its like a virtual world)
Yes.
attofishpi wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:21 pm Well, I hadn't had one for probably at least a year, then the other night I slipped in and out of about 3 of them. The last one was amazing. "They" the sages that I think run the God system (that permeates our every atom\synapse) were showing me all sorts of fun stuff.
I went up to a wall and decided I was going to punch it and in the back of my mind I was thinking (since I knew I was in my bed) - I worried I might literally punch the headboard or something. - I punched a hole in the wall - no problem - then the environment changed and this is where it really go good - there were loads of people and I kept shouting out, well! C'mon sages where are ya, teach me something.
So then this young chap stepped up to me and I turned to him and said I'd love my Uncle (he's over from UK atm - very close to him and I've told him many of my experiences - but he wants evidence for himself - he remains atheist)..that I'd want to tell my Uncle about the contents of this dream - is that ok?
The chap said "I can make him aware." I felt a little concerned about this because, well he told me something very bad that he did to someone (that kinda deserved it years ago) - and to be honest - when "they" have put me through a "day of reckoning" it's like you have to bounce your own indiscretions in comparison to others you know (even those you love - such as what my Uncle did) and ITS FUCKING HORRIBLE - I am not the judge of man - there's someone I know - no longer a friend that did FAR worse than what my Uncle did - so I am reckoning against that scum as well - 666 etc..
Are you still seeing "psychiatrists"?
attofishpi wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:21 pm Anyhoo - back to my interaction - chat within this lucid dream with this possible sage - I said don't fuck with him, I'll check if he agrees to having his 'reality" from the God system - interaction, I'll warn him it can be very 'testing', if he says YES then sure.
This 'sage' then said ok then, if he agrees then we'll let him KNOW - they then made me wake up.

wackjob arn't eye?

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:31 pm
Age wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:17 pm
Harbal wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:02 pm

I don't really know what the term, "meaning of life", means. I can only guess.
Okay.

But, if someone was to ask you, for example, 'What is the meaning of the word 'life'?', do you know what the term means then?

Do you have to guess this as well?

Also, what about 'the meaning of tree'. Is that also a term that you do not really know means and have to also guess?

If you added the word 'the' in front of the term, 'meaning of life', then can you then know what that term means? Or, are you still guessing.

To me, the term, 'the meaning of life' just means the exact same thing as the term, 'the meaning of [any other word].

And, how the meaning of every word is found and obtained is a Truly very simple and very easy process, well to me anyway.

For example, 'the meaning of [the word] 'life' is just living: being alive. Which was, and is, just obtained by just looking up 'that word' in a dictionary.

Which again is exactly how 'the meaning of' absolutely every other word is obtained and found, as well.
I can see what's happened here, but I can't think of a way to clear it up without ending up wishing I hadn't tried.
Okay.
accelafine

Post by accelafine »

If religion gives life 'meaning' then what is it? 'The meaning of life is religion' doesn't mean anything. 'How' is it the 'meaning of life'? See? You're just back to the original question.
I've always thought it was a stupid question anyway-- one with no answer (probably because the question doesn't mean anything).
Everyone's different. Some people get along happily enjoying life and suddenly lose interest in it, for any number of reasons. It loses all 'meaning' for that 'particular' person, for a 'particular' reason.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

then again, meaning is what you make it.

-Imp
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Harbal wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:15 am I’ve often heard it said that without religion life has no meaning. Apart from not being able to see why that matters, neither can I see what meaning religion, or belief in God, gives to life. Maybe somebody could explain, although I don’t suppose it matters much if no one bothers.
Either a God, the God exists, or he doesn't. Now, if no God does exist, then it seems unlikely that we mere mortals will have access to either immortality or salvation. And if that is something you very much want to believe in then a belief in God [for many] is the only ticket in town. Also, I basically agree with IC that in the absence of the a God, the God, mere mortals do not have access to objective moral commandments.

And to the extent some here do believe that universal moral values are within the reach of mere mortals in a No God universe, okay, let's focus in on a particular moral conflagration of note and try "for all practical purposes" to pin that down.

And, of course, my own set of assumptions about God and religion [as with the assumptions of others, in my view], is predicated far more on the manner in which I construe the meaning of dasein in my signature threads. That's why there are so many, many different One True Paths out there from which to choose.

As long as one's beliefs are embodied in a "leap of faith" that will always revolve around your own indoctrination as a child or your own personal experiences rooted out in a particular world understand in a particular way, "failure to communicate" will ever be rampant.

What always intrigues me here is how those who reject God and religion are able to sustain a frame of mind that is not "fractured and fragmented".

Most of course will find one or another political ideology or school of philosophy or dogmatic rendition of "nature's way" and use that to sustain any number of hopelessly conflicting objectivist assessments.

And of course, it matters whether or not [God or No God] an objective morality can actually be demonstrated. Otherwise, all it takes is a particular set of personal experiences predisposing you to defend one Humanism rather than another.

The whole point being one's capacity to "think oneself" into believing they are in possession of the Real Me and that this "intrinsic Self" is believed in turn to be in sync [objectively] with the Right Thing To Do.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

In the shuffling madness
Of the locomotive breath,
Runs the all, time loser,
Headlong to his death.

He feels the piston scraping
Steam breaking on his brow
Old Charlie stole the handle and
The train it won't stop going
No way to slow down.

He sees his children jumping off
At the stations one by one.
His woman and his best friend

In bed and having fun.
He's crawling down the corridor
On his hands and knees
Old Charlie stole the handle and

The train it won't stop going
No way to slow down.
He hears the silence howling
Catches angels as they fall.
And the all-time winner
Has got him by the balls.
He picks up Gideons Bible
Open at page one

God He stole the handle and
The train won't stop going
No way to slow down.
No way to slow down.
No way to slow down.
No way to slow down.
No way to slow down.
No way to slow down.
No way to slow down.
No way to slow down.
No way to slow down.

Locomotive Breath (Jethro Tull)

-Imp
accelafine

Post by accelafine »

iambiguous wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:27 pm
Harbal wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:15 am I’ve often heard it said that without religion life has no meaning. Apart from not being able to see why that matters, neither can I see what meaning religion, or belief in God, gives to life. Maybe somebody could explain, although I don’t suppose it matters much if no one bothers.
Either a God, the God exists, or he doesn't. Now, if no God does exist, then it seems unlikely that we mere mortals will have access to either immortality or salvation. And if that is something you very much want to believe in then a belief in God [for many] is the only ticket in town. Also, I basically agree with IC that in the absence of the a God, the God, mere mortals do not have access to objective moral commandments.

And to the extent some here do believe that universal moral values are within the reach of mere mortals in a No God universe, okay, let's focus in on a particular moral conflagration of note and try "for all practical purposes" to pin that down.

And, of course, my own set of assumptions about God and religion [as with the assumptions of others, in my view], is predicated far more on the manner in which I construe the meaning of dasein in my signature threads. That's why there are so many, many different One True Paths out there from which to choose.

As long as one's beliefs are embodied in a "leap of faith" that will always revolve around your own indoctrination as a child or your own personal experiences rooted out in a particular world understand in a particular way, "failure to communicate" will ever be rampant.

What always intrigues me here is how those who reject God and religion are able to sustain a frame of mind that is not "fractured and fragmented".

Most of course will find one or another political ideology or school of philosophy or dogmatic rendition of "nature's way" and use that to sustain any number of hopelessly conflicting objectivist assessments.

And of course, it matters whether or not [God or No God] an objective morality can actually be demonstrated. Otherwise, all it takes is a particular set of personal experiences predisposing you to defend one Humanism rather than another.

The whole point being one's capacity to "think oneself" into believing they are in possession of the Real Me and that this "intrinsic Self" is believed in turn to be in sync [objectively] with the Right Thing To Do.
So in short the 'meaning of life' is to live forever. Wow. Who would have thought?
Most people don't need 'commandments' to behave themselves, especially as there is no such thing as free will anyway, therefore most humans are 'programmed' to understand that behaving themselves is in their own best interests, and those who don't aren't going to take any notice of an old book that makes things like 'not coveting thy neighbour's wife' of the utmost importance...
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

accelafine wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:55 pm

So in short the 'meaning of life' is to live forever. Wow. Who would have thought?
Most people don't need 'commandments' to behave themselves, especially as there is no such thing as free will anyway, therefore most humans are 'programmed' to understand that behaving themselves is in their own best interests, and those who don't aren't going to take any notice of an old book that makes things like 'not coveting thy neighbour's wife' of the utmost importance...
Thanks for clearing all that up for us. 8)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Age wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:22 pm Are you still seeing "psychiatrists"?
No God works in mysterious ways - once I got what I wanted out of them - and ripped off two insurance companies to financially set me up to do the art God\sage forced me out of work to do - i pissed them off. (Every tablet they gave me went into the toilet).

Post by Age »

accelafine wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:33 pm If religion gives life 'meaning' then what is it? 'The meaning of life is religion' doesn't mean anything. 'How' is it the 'meaning of life'? See? You're just back to the original question.
I've always thought it was a stupid question anyway-- one with no answer (probably because the question doesn't mean anything).
Is, 'What is the meaning of 'heuristic'?', also a stupid question to you?

There is an answer to the question, 'What is meaning of 'life'?' And, the answer is found in a dictionary.

If one does not yet know what the meaning of some thing is, then all they have to do is just look in a dictionary.

The very purpose of dictionaries is to provide the agreed upon and accepted meaning/s of words.

accelafine wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:33 pm Everyone's different. Some people get along happily enjoying life and suddenly lose interest in it, for any number of reasons. It loses all 'meaning' for that 'particular' person, for a 'particular' reason.
But just losing interest in 'life', in living; being alive, does not necessarily mean that the meaning of 'life', itself, changes also.

Post by Age »

Either a God, the God exists, or he doesn't.
Why do you human beings keep presuming that God is male gendered?

Continually do so is one of the reasons why it took you human beings so long to work out and uncover who and what God is, exactly.
iambiguous wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:27 pm Now, if no God does exist, then it seems unlikely that we mere mortals will have access to either immortality or salvation. And if that is something you very much want to believe in then a belief in God [for many] is the only ticket in town. Also, I basically agree with IC that in the absence of the a God, the God, mere mortals do not have access to objective moral commandments.
1. Because you agree with someone/something this in itself does not make 'it' true nor right.

2. When you say, 'If no God exists', what is the 'God' word actually referring to, exactly?
iambiguous wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:27 pm And to the extent some here do believe that universal moral values are within the reach of mere mortals in a No God universe, okay, let's focus in on a particular moral conflagration of note and try "for all practical purposes" to pin that down.

But there is only One known path, which Truly works.

Why would you even begin to presume that there are many actual so-called 'True ones'?
iambiguous wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:27 pm As long as one's beliefs are embodied in a "leap of faith" that will always revolve around your own indoctrination as a child or your own personal experiences rooted out in a particular world understand in a particular way, "failure to communicate" will ever be rampant.

Harbal

Post by Harbal »

accelafine wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:33 pm If religion gives life 'meaning' then what is it? 'The meaning of life is religion' doesn't mean anything. 'How' is it the 'meaning of life'? See? You're just back to the original question.
I don't really understand it, either, that's why I'm asking the question. And I don't understand what difference God makes to whether we think there is any point to our existence. Even if after we died we went on to spend eternity up in the clouds with God, what would be the point of that?

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:54 am
I don't really understand it, either, that's why I'm asking the question.
What, exactly, do you not specifically understand here?

Once you specify, and stop being vague, then whatever 'it' that you are seeking here can be found and revealed.

Saying, ' I do not understand 'it' ', explains absolutely nothing to another.
Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:54 am And I don't understand what difference God makes to whether we think there is any point to our existence.
Okay. But you do not even understand what the word 'God' is even referring to, exactly, either.
Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:54 am Even if after we died we went on to spend eternity up in the clouds with God, what would be the point of that?
Why would any Truly rational human being imagine that 'spending eternity in the clouds' was a rational thing to even consider or imagine?

Absolutely every thing that you are wondering about and considering here can be explained in a Truly rational and logical way, which can also be backed up and supported with total scientific proof.

you just need to be far more specific is explaining what 'it' is, exactly, that you want to learn, understand, and know more about here.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:54 am
I don't really understand it, either, that's why I'm asking the question. And I don't understand what difference God makes to whether we think there is any point to our existence. Even if after we died we went on to spend eternity up in the clouds with God, what would be the point of that?
Are you guys trolling or do you really not understand the difference between having a universal a purpose in life and not having one?