The Bear Necessities 🤔

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Re: The Bear Necessities 🤔

Post by Lacewing »

nemos wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:19 am I strive for balance while trying not to forget about movement.
Yes! Maintaining balance and movement are a wonderful dance. :)
nemos wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:19 am And if anything life is wonderful because it gives me this opportunity.
Agreed.
nemos wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:19 amGod is the straw to which the drowner clings. It might be quite cruel to try to take it away from him.
And it shouldn't matter what someone needs in the privacy of their own being. It's when they try to apply and impose that as a single universal truth onto all else... negating all other truth and potential... that's when balance is thrown off and movement is stalled.
nemos

Post by nemos »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:50 pm ... It's when they try to apply and impose that as a single universal truth onto all else...
The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know.
(Oh dear, this is all too true. There must be reasonable limits to all truth. :D )

I believe that claims to absolute truth are a sign of narrow-mindedness, because it is inherent in thinking people to doubt, and this should not be attributed to groupings, even though groupings are made up not only of like-minded people but also of like-minded non-thinkers.
And trying to convince such people of anything is quite pointless, because the problem is not that they don't know, but that they aggressively don't want to know and are building massive defensive lines, now and then joining radical groups of all kinds.
Well, if there is a hot election, you can try to upset the balance and stir up doubt. This can lead to a forced need to start thinking.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

nemos wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:19 amGod is the straw to which the drowner clings. It might be quite cruel to try to take it away from him.
No other one ever could even if they tried. No other one can separate another thinker from it's own thought, not even the actual thinker of a thought.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

nemos wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:55 pm I believe that claims to absolute truth are a sign of narrow-mindedness.
The I that claims is but a relative temporal finite appearance of the absolute.
So any attempted claim to know the absolute by that which can only be known as the relative would be totally absurd.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:50 pm And it shouldn't matter what someone needs in the privacy of their own being. It's when they try to apply and impose that as a single universal truth onto all else... negating all other truth and potential... that's when balance is thrown off and movement is stalled.
Ultimately nothing matters.

Any word that manifests here in the voice of humanity is a phenomena that is nothing more than the expression of light and sound, both of which are intangible and invisible, in other words, words are nothing more than a mirage made of light and sound. Words are just smoke and mirrors.
nemos

Post by nemos »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:55 am ... words are nothing more than a mirage made of light and sound. Words are just smoke and mirrors.
Is it to be understood that words have no meaning ? If so, what could be simpler than to stop using them.
If anything, don't throw the mirror out, I like to use it.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

nemos wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:55 pm The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know.
(Oh dear, this is all too true. There must be reasonable limits to all truth. :D )
Yes! And how wonderful! Would any of us REALLY want to experience life in a rigid, static box of only our knowing?
nemos wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:55 pmI believe that claims to absolute truth are a sign of narrow-mindedness, because it is inherent in thinking people to doubt
Interesting and good way to describe it. I've described such claims as foolish, fearful, and self-righteous because it simply MAKES NO SENSE for such a vast Universe of diversity and potential to be known from the small fraction one might perceive or imagine.
nemos wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:55 pmAnd trying to convince such people of anything is quite pointless, because the problem is not that they don't know, but that they aggressively don't want to know and are building massive defensive lines, now and then joining radical groups of all kinds.
Another good point.

As individuals, we may feel scared to move beyond boundaries that we think have defined us. But, like the stagnancy or insanity of being in a bad relationship, there comes a point when it isn't tolerable or possible to ignore anymore, and one finally accepts that it's best to move on. This is probably less threatening to do when one can attribute the dysfunction to a relationship with 'someone else' rather than with their own mindset. But the risks and benefits are likely similar: miserable entrenchment and insanity vs. expanded opportunity and clarity. :)

Extremist group mentality provides the means for never having to 'break up' with one's own dysfunctional mindset.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:55 am Ultimately nothing matters.
Still, we dance. :)
Atla

Post by Atla »

You are hunting a bear. The bear is sleeping 100 meters north of you. You turn east, then go 100 meters east, then turn north, fire your gun and hit the bear. What color was the bear?

a) black
b) brown
c) white
d) can't be solved
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Atla wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:06 pm You are hunting a bear. The bear is sleeping 100 meters north of you. You turn east, then go 100 meters east, then turn north, fire your gun and hit the bear. What color was the bear?

a) black
b) brown
c) white
d) can't be solved
White, obviously.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

nemos wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:08 pm
Is it to be understood that words have no meaning ? If so, what could be simpler than to stop using them.
If anything, don't throw the mirror out, I like to use it.
Words have meaning only by association to other words which then form links and connections. Words without such connections to other words are meaningless.
Words do have meaning when they are seen and heard repeatedly in the form of symbol or sound. All words must by definition accoutre a mental picture in the mind that projects their light and sound as an image formed, then simultaneously becomes understood in the mind, one with the knowing.

Awareness/consciousness is simply ''knowing'' and is nothing, void, unaware, unknowing, without some thing to be aware/conscious of, therefore, the contents inseparable from awareness are always distractions, which are movements of the mind, within what is a permanently stationary observer.

Sound happens, movement happens, and yet there is nothing making anything happen, nor preventing any happening from happening.
nemos

Post by nemos »

Your use of words is so conditional that I am amazed how you manage to use them at all. In any case, my mind could not cope with it all, so the puzzle remained unassembled for me. After all, you can't ask for too much, so it's nice that at least you've managed it.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

nemos wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:32 am Your use of words is so conditional that I am amazed how you manage to use them at all. In any case, my mind could not cope with it all, so the puzzle remained unassembled for me. After all, you can't ask for too much, so it's nice that at least you've managed it.
Words are sound and as real as a bird's singing, or a pig's grunt, meaning both words and meanings are illusory and not real.
Sound that transforms as words and meanings are a phenomena of life, and life is only a singular movement of light and sound.

Lacewing wrote:

Still, we dance. :)
Yes.
The earth, sun, moon, stars, planets are in constant movement. Life is a play/cosmic dance of light and sound.
The observer of movement is motionless. You are this unmoved mover.
In Book 12 ( Greek: Λ) of his Metaphysics, Aristotle describes the unmoved mover as being perfectly beautiful, indivisible, and contemplating only the perfect contemplation: self-contemplation. He equates this concept also with the active intellect.
nemos

Post by nemos »

The word is the name of the file. Therefore, the only point of its existence is to identify a file that may or may not contain something. But the meaning of using words lies in their orderly sequence, in trying to give our feelings a meaningful form according to our abilities.
Moreover, different people do not always write the same thing in files with the same name, and in theory not even necessarily in relation to the name, and this is something to take into account.
Walker

Post by Walker »

The Bare Necessities
Terry Gilkyson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BH-Rxd-NBo

Emmanual
Eliza Gilkyson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oH1yRKHcs8

When first I came into this land
In the highlands I did dwell
Where ancient winged masters taught