The State of The Universe Address

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

phyllo

Re: The State of The Universe Address

Post by phyllo »

Economic stagnation, for one, can be one of the 'GREATEST things' and NOT an 'evil thing' AT ALL.

But, AGAIN, and ONCE MORE, ABSOLUTELY EVERY 'thing' is relative TO 'the observer', and thus HOW 'one' LOOKS AT and SEES 'things'.
Economic stagnation would likely reduce environmental destruction and species extinction. 8)

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:37 pm
phyllo wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:36 pm
What about war and environmental destruction? Are those not occurring?
Everyone has a limited about of time and energy. Therefore, they need to be focused in order to have any hope of being effective.

Acting on one problem is probably going to be more effective than complaining about 10 problems.

And it will probably feel better, because "I'm doing something" usually feels better than "I'm complaining about something".
Doing arises from complaining. If we don't complain, then what is currently being done will not change.
'you' or 'us' complaining will ALSO NOT necessarily CHANGE, FOR the BETTER, what is currently being done, in the days when this is being written NEITHER.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:32 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:22 pm
phyllo wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:19 pm You can change what you label as 'evil'.

For example, some people call earthquakes 'evil', some don't. This is a choice.
I am not here concerned with Earthquakes. I'm concerned with the things I put in the OP.
one war after another, environmental destruction, species extinction, diseases, economic stagnation, slavery, and finally inevitable death
Those are things that concern us ALL.
Economic stagnation, for one, can be one of the 'GREATEST things' and NOT an 'evil thing' AT ALL.

But, AGAIN, and ONCE MORE, ABSOLUTELY EVERY 'thing' is relative TO 'the observer', and thus HOW 'one' LOOKS AT and SEES 'things'.
Yes. Economic stagnation can be a good thing, but if it leads to people being homeless and hungry, then it's not.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:41 pm
phyllo wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:36 pm Everyone has a limited about of time and energy. Therefore, they need to be focused in order to have any hope of being effective.

Acting on one problem is probably going to be more effective than complaining about 10 problems.

And it will probably feel better, because "I'm doing something" usually feels better than "I'm complaining about something".
Doing arises from complaining. If we don't complain, then what is currently being done will not change.
'you' or 'us' complaining will ALSO NOT necessarily CHANGE, FOR the BETTER, what is currently being done, in the days when this is being written NEITHER.
Then I'll have to sit back and watch an apocalypse silently if that will make everyone happier.

Post by Age »

Peter Kropotkin wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:08 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:36 pm
Peter Kropotkin wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:32 pm so which path are you going to pursue?

Kropotkin
Right now I'm pursuing the path of gaining momentum for those who don't want global destruction. One person alone cannot achieve anything worthwhile, especially when so many are doing evil.
K: and who cares if you are the only person in planet Earth trying to stop the
onslaught of destruction...you can achieve something worthwhile...

As you may have notice, I am a lone voice advocating a course of action
that no one seems to notice or care about... but so what?
I will continue my path of seeking out what is ethics, what is moral,
what is being human all about... it doesn't matter to me if no one
else reads me or cares about what I wrote... I am a sole voice,
and I will continue to speak out until the day I die..
Speaking out ABOUT just SEEKING OUT 'What is ethics?', 'What is moral?', and/or 'What is being 'human' all about? ARE JUST 'things' that just about EVERY older adult human being has 'considered and thought about', ANYWAY.

And, so-called just SPEAKING OUT about just SEEKING OUT 'the ANSWERS' to 'those QUESTIONS', IS, REALLY, absolutely NOTHING AT ALL to talk or speak OUT ABOUT.
Peter Kropotkin wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:08 pm the battle is not to change the entire world in a night..
but to change one person..
In regards to 'what', EXACTLY?

That 'one person' COMES TO KNOW that 'you', "peter kropotkin", IS STILL SEEKING ANSWERS ABOUT 'things' 'you', human beings, HAVE BEEN SEEKING ANSWERS TO and FOR , for countless millenia 'now', hitherto when this is being written?
Peter Kropotkin wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:08 pm if I have done that, I am a success...
regardless if the world notices or not..
because I don't care if the world notices or not....
I have my message, my mission as it were...
AND, 'what', EXACTLY, IS 'your message', AND 'your mission', here "peter kropotkin
Peter Kropotkin wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:08 pm and it is my
choice until it isn't... I won't know if I have succeeded,
my success or failure won't be apparent until long after I am dead...

so I continue my lonely battle to change the minds and hearts of
my fellow human beings...
AGAIN, in regards to 'what', EXACTLY?
Peter Kropotkin wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:08 pm it isn't about the number of people
I might change, but about my own belief in the message I am
presenting the world...and if one, ONE person is change by
my message... I have done good...and I can live with that

Kropotkin
BUT, IF 'you' will NOT KNOW if 'you' have succeeded or NOT and 'your' 'success' or 'failure' will NOT be apparent UNTIL LONG AFTER 'you' ARE DEAD, then HOW, EXACTLY, can 'you' be LIVING WITH 'that'?

And, what is 'that', EXACTLY, anyway?

Post by Age »

phyllo wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:41 pm

Economic stagnation would likely reduce environmental destruction and species extinction. 8)
Thus WHY I SAID 'economic stagnation' could be one of the 'GREATEST things'.

AND, WHEN what 'it' IS, EXACTLY, which CAUSES and CREATES 'economic growth' is ALSO UNDERSTOOD and KNOWN by 'you', human beings, AS WELL, THEN, and ONLY THEN, 'the prevention' OF 'economic growth' CAN and WILL COME-TO-FRUIT.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:42 pm
Age wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:32 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:22 pm

I am not here concerned with Earthquakes. I'm concerned with the things I put in the OP.

Those are things that concern us ALL.

Yes. Economic stagnation can be a good thing, but if it leads to people being homeless and hungry, then it's not.
The VERY 'thing' that IS CONTINUALLY CAUSING and CREATING INCREASINGLY 'economic growth' IS the ACTUAL 'thing' that CAUSES and CREATES 'you', human beings, BECOMING 'homeless', 'hungry', 'hurt', 'harmed', and just about EVERY OTHER Wrong, in regards to 'you', human beings, ALSO.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:46 pm

Then I'll have to sit back and watch an apocalypse silently if that will make everyone happier.
'your' what is called 'BLACK or WHITE thinking' IS NOT HELPING 'you' AT ALL here "gary childress", and NEVER WILL.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:02 pm

'your' what is called 'BLACK or WHITE thinking' IS NOT HELPING 'you' AT ALL here "gary childress", and NEVER WILL.
An apocalypse is not going to help me either.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:13 pm

AGAIN, 'life' TO 'you', "gary childress" can ONLY EVER be SWEET and ROSIE, OR, APOCALYPTIC and DESTRUCTION, right?

There is NEVER NO 'in between', correct?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:19 pm

AGAIN, 'life' TO 'you', "gary childress" can ONLY EVER be SWEET and ROSIE, OR, APOCALYPTIC and DESTRUCTION, right?

Things don't need to be "rosy". I'd just prefer them not to be apocalyptic.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:26 pm

Well what ACTUALLY EXISTS is there IS A CONTINUUM FROM, and BETWEEN, 'Heaven' AND 'hell', for lack of BETTER words, which IS ALWAYS IN CONSTANT-CHANGE 'to and for' an EMOTIONAL and THINKING 'being', like 'you', 'human being' ACTUALLY ARE.

Also, and by the way, DO NOT FORGET that ABSOLUTELY EVERY 'thing' IS relative TO 'the observer'.

Furthermore, 'things' NEVER 'need to be' IN ANY 'particular way', AT ALL, EVER. And, HOW 'you', individually, PREFER 'things' is ABSOLUTELY OF NO CONCERN NOR CARE in regards TO 'The ACTUAL state of the Universe, Itself'.

A reason WHY 'you' appear to NEARLY ALWAYS FEEL SO 'miserable' or SO 'depressed' IS BECAUSE 'you' ARE WANTING, or PREFERRING, 'things' TO BE A PARTICULAR WAY whilst NEVER ACTUALLY DOING ANY 'thing' TO ACTUALLY CHANGE 'the way 'things' ARE'.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:38 pm A reason WHY 'you' appear to NEARLY ALWAYS FEEL SO 'miserable' or SO 'depressed' IS BECAUSE 'you' ARE WANTING, or PREFERRING, 'things' TO BE A PARTICULAR WAY whilst NEVER ACTUALLY DOING ANY 'thing' TO ACTUALLY CHANGE 'the way 'things' ARE'.
What makes you think I'm not "doing anything" to actually change the way things are? And what makes you think "everything is relative" to the observer? Something either is the case or it is not. Life on Earth is in peril or it is not. If you don't think life on Earth is in peril, then just come out of the closet and say it. IF there is an apocalypse brewing, then there is no safe place for ANY of us to hide. And complaining about the message that there is an apocalypse brewing solves NOTHING (if it's not outright counterproductive). News and truth aren't always fun to know. They don't always lead us to rosy and happy living.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:19 pm
Age wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:38 pm A reason WHY 'you' appear to NEARLY ALWAYS FEEL SO 'miserable' or SO 'depressed' IS BECAUSE 'you' ARE WANTING, or PREFERRING, 'things' TO BE A PARTICULAR WAY whilst NEVER ACTUALLY DOING ANY 'thing' TO ACTUALLY CHANGE 'the way 'things' ARE'.
What makes you think I'm not "doing anything" to actually change the way things are?
BECAUSE of how much 'time' 'you' spend here, in this forum, complaining ABOUT how 'things' are NOT 'the way' 'you' would PREFER 'them' TO BE.
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:19 pm And what makes you think "everything is relative" to the observer?
Because I have YET TO FIND, or SEE, one 'thing' that is NOT relative to 'the observer'.

Do 'you' KNOW of one 'thing', which is NOT relative to 'the observer'?

If yes, then will 'you' share with 'us' what that one 'thing' is, EXACTLY?

If no, then WHY NOT?
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:19 pm Something either is the case or it is not.
Yes VERY True.

And, what 'the case' IS, EXACTLY, is VERY relative, TO, and depending on, WHO or WHAT is doing the 'observing'.
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:19 pm Life on Earth is in peril or it is not.
AGAIN, that ALL depends on WHO is doing the LOOKING, and, on HOW 'they' are doing the LOOKING.
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:19 pm If you don't think life on Earth is in peril, then just come out of the closet and say it.
When 'you' SAY and USE the 'life' word, then what are 'you' ACTUALLY MEANING or REFERRING TO, EXACTLY, "gary childress"?

Because OBVIOUSLY if 'you', human beings, WIPE "yourselves" OUT through OVER POLLUTION, then 'this' is NOT going to CAUSE ALL 'life' on earth EXTINCTION. ONLY the 'life' of 'you', human beings, will have gone EXTINCT, instead.

So, 'you' NEED TO BE MUCH CLEARER here "gary childress" IF 'you' REALLY WANT 'your' CLAIMS, and FEARS, Truly UNDERSTOOD, and ACCEPTED.
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:19 pm IF there is an apocalypse brewing, then there is no safe place for ANY of us to hide. And complaining about the message that there is an apocalypse brewing solves NOTHING (if it's not outright counterproductive). News and truth aren't always fun to know. They don't always lead us to rosy and happy living.
Are 'you' here suggesting that 'you' or 'the news' KNOWS 'the truth'?

If yes, then will 'you' SHARE 'that truth' WITH 'us' here?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:26 pm

Sounds like you are having a big problem with the ways things are currently, which is okay I guess, but betrays a lack of of historical perspective. When looked at over a longer time period, things now are seen to be (relatively) the best they've ever been.