God doesn't deserve worship

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

rootseeker

Re: God doesn't deserve worship

Post by rootseeker »

You are really making an arbitrary line there without any definition. Does God need to act as your personal genie all day, every day, for eternity, in order to be worthy of worship? We live in a world where every human dies of old age. I'm sure if the world had your utopian concept of a weather system, there is no end to things that happen to you that are unwanted in your life to some degree. For some people, the opportunity of living a human life is more than sufficient to be worthy of worship. If literally everything is handed to you on a silver platter in an eternal life, it might not be a very interesting life. Perhaps God believes that humans need purpose in life more than just getting wishes granted all day long. Look at what humans do with virtual worlds. Do they chose a video game where everything is just handed to them and they sip margaritas on the beach, or do they choose worlds where there are lots of bad things happening?

Post by Age »

popeye1945 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:10 am
Age wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:52 am
popeye1945 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:44 am

Lobotomy is the infliction of the intellect-- the altering of the psyche to a desired condition that others prefer.
YES, OKAY, sort of ALREADY KNOWN.

BUT, is having 'faith' in SOME 'things', in ANY 'thing', or in EVERY 'thing', the so-called 'self-inflicted lobotomy'? IS and WAS THE QUESTION I ASKED here.

For example, is having 'faith' that one's own children will do 'good' on a test exam a so-called 'self-inflicted lobotomy'?
You're not making any sense.
TO 'you', which IS okay and fair enough.

1. 'you' made the CLAIM that 'faith' IS 'a self inflicted lobotomy'.

2. I am JUST ASKING 'you' is ALL 'faith', this MEANS is 'faith' IN ALL 'things', 'a self inflicted lobotomy?'

3. I am NOT SURE how JUST ASKING 'you' A CLARIFYING QUESTION, in regards to 'your' OWN CLAIM, could NOT make ANY sense, TO 'you'. (I have even provided 'you' with an example of 'faith'. And, ASKED 'you' is 'that faith' 'a self inflicted lobotomy', to 'you', AS WELL. So, I am NOT SURE how I could make 'things' ANY CLEARER FOR 'you' here.)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:27 pm Look at the world around you--heat waves, droughts, wildfires, nature dying, poverty, war, and unrest. All we've ever done as human beings was to try to enjoy life in this world in the best way we could or knew how. We ought not to blame each other for the results of doing what we all thought was best. God created an absurd world.

God doesn't deserve worship.
God has never explicitly stated in the Bible that 'He' wants to be worshipped. Also, everything you state above is the folly of man, not of God, so yes, man can only blame each other for the shit state of the world.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Age wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:24 amWHEN people DELVE INTO what I am SAYING and CLAIMING here, then WHO is ACTUALLY and IRREFUTABLY 'categorically' Wrong, and NOT, CAN and WILL BE SEEN, AND COME-TO-LIGHT.
Great counter-argument.....NOT!
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

'God has never explicitly stated in the Bible that 'He' wants to be worshipped."

What r u talking about mate he said there will be none before me and false idols something something in both the old testament and the koran.

Immanuel Sham: post all the scripture quotes of god explicitly stating these things in blue text please.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

promethean75 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:38 pm 'God has never explicitly stated in the Bible that 'He' wants to be worshipped."

What r u talking about mate he said there will be none before me and false idols something something in both the old testament and the koran.
That is not an explicit statement of wanting to be worshipped. The fact that we have the Bible in electronic form makes it rather easy to search for the non existence of such a statement.

If ChatGPT found none, I doubt IC will. :wink:

Post by Age »

Wizard22 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:52 am
Age wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:24 amWHEN people DELVE INTO what I am SAYING and CLAIMING here, then WHO is ACTUALLY and IRREFUTABLY 'categorically' Wrong, and NOT, CAN and WILL BE SEEN, AND COME-TO-LIGHT.
Great counter-argument.....NOT!
But WHY would you have even CONSIDERED 'that' to have been some sort of 'argument', in the first place?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

God is an image of the imageless, the image of emptiness.

The 'self' exists purely as an empty image. The adoration of an empty image is like adoring a 'photo selfie' on your phone. There is simply nothing there in that photo, no more than there is something there in an image of homer simpson or bugs bunny.

Such is the absurdity of empty image worshipping, when images of the imageless, adore other images of the imageless. It's all just pure dreamscape activity.

There's simply just what's happening, and there is nothing making what is happening, happen.
Last edited by Dontaskme on Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Age wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:34 amBut WHY would you have even CONSIDERED 'that' to have been some sort of 'argument', in the first place?
Because it is.

Post by Age »

Wizard22 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:34 am
Age wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:34 amBut WHY would you have even CONSIDERED 'that' to have been some sort of 'argument', in the first place?
Because it is.
So, in one post you CLAIM 'it' is NOT 'an argument's, BUT, on another post you CLAIM that 'it' IS 'an argument'.

Do 'you' even REALIZE how OFTEN and how MUCH 'you' CONTRADICT "your" 'self' here "wizard22'?
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Age wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:41 amSo, in one post you CLAIM 'it' is NOT 'an argument's, BUT, on another post you CLAIM that 'it' IS 'an argument'.

Do 'you' even REALIZE how OFTEN and how MUCH 'you' CONTRADICT "your" 'self' here "wizard22'?
Your counter-arguments, or arguments in general, suck.

Why are you even on a philosophy forum?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

It's like an innocently childish mode of low level arguing and contradicting just for the sake of it. He's not even sure what he's asking and why. Like something a seventh grade autistic kid who combs his bangs to the right and listens to Foster The People would do to dominate conversation with a small group of friends standing at the lockers between classes.

Age I need u to try and be normal for a minute just chill and don't ask me exactly what I mean and tell me how I'm part of a cult of adults who think they know everything etc.

Just relax and tell me something about a vacation u once took. What was the coolest memory of the vacation?

Post by Age »

Wizard22 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:15 am
Age wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:41 amSo, in one post you CLAIM 'it' is NOT 'an argument's, BUT, on another post you CLAIM that 'it' IS 'an argument'.

Your counter-arguments, or arguments in general, suck.

Why are you even on a philosophy forum?
But, unlike you I am NOT even 'trying to' argue NOR counter-argue here.

I AM, INSTEAD, mostly just POINTING OUT and SHOWING a few 'things', as well as QUESTIONING and CHALLENGING some of the BELIEFS that 'you' have and hold here.

Post by Age »

promethean75 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:38 pm It's like an innocently childish mode of low level arguing and contradicting just for the sake of it. He's not even sure what he's asking and why. Like something a seventh grade autistic kid who combs his bangs to the right and listens to Foster The People would do to dominate conversation with a small group of friends standing at the lockers between classes.

Age I need u to try and be normal for a minute just chill and don't ask me exactly what I mean and tell me how I'm part of a cult of adults who think they know everything etc.

Just relax and tell me something about a vacation u once took. What was the coolest memory of the vacation?
What we have here is ANOTHER one who Truly can NOT stand it when I POINT OUT and SHOW the CONTRADICTIONS and/or INCONSISTENCIES in their BELIEFS and CLAIMS, and instead of just being OPEN and Honest in reply they resort to TAUNTS and CRITIQUES OF 'the person'. Which IS the VERY EXACT OPPOSITE of what 'philosophy' is ALL ABOUT by the way.

ALSO, look AT how so EASY and SIMPLY these adult human beings could be FOOLED and DECIEVED, back in those days, "wizard22" BELIEVES one of my replies was NOT a great 'counter-argument', but when I implied that I NEVER even provided a counter-argument when I QUESTIONED "wizard22" about my reply, "wizard22" then CLAIMS that my reply WAS an argument. To which "promethean75" picks up on 'this' as though I am 'a child', which by the way these adult human beings USED as a form of BELITTLEMENT and RIDICULE, the ABSURDITY and CRUELNESS OF speaks VOLUMES for itself, ANYWAY "promethean75" talks TO "wizard22" in a combining way to 'TRY TO' RIDICULE and HUMILIATE 'me' as though I have done some 'thing' WRONG here.

All I essentially did was just POINT OUT and SHOW that I was NOT 'arguing' FOR NOR AGAINST ANY 'thing' here, and I was just POINTING OUT this Fact.

Although these two OBVIOUSLY could NOT YET SEE and RECOGNIZE 'this'.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Age wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:32 pm
promethean75 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:38 pm It's like an innocently childish mode of low level arguing and contradicting just for the sake of it. He's not even sure what he's asking and why. Like something a seventh grade autistic kid who combs his bangs to the right and listens to Foster The People would do to dominate conversation with a small group of friends standing at the lockers between classes.

What we have here is ANOTHER one who Truly can NOT stand it when I POINT OUT and SHOW the CONTRADICTIONS and/or INCONSISTENCIES in their BELIEFS and CLAIMS, and instead of just being OPEN and Honest in reply they resort to TAUNTS and CRITIQUES OF 'the person'. Which IS the VERY EXACT OPPOSITE of what 'philosophy' is ALL ABOUT by the way.

ALSO, look AT how so EASY and SIMPLY these adult human beings could be FOOLED and DECIEVED, back in those days, "wizard22" BELIEVES one of my replies was NOT a great 'counter-argument', but when I implied that I NEVER even provided a counter-argument when I QUESTIONED "wizard22" about my reply, "wizard22" then CLAIMS that my reply WAS an argument. To which "promethean75" picks up on 'this' as though I am 'a child', which by the way these adult human beings USED as a form of BELITTLEMENT and RIDICULE, the ABSURDITY and CRUELNESS OF speaks VOLUMES for itself, ANYWAY "promethean75" talks TO "wizard22" in a combining way to 'TRY TO' RIDICULE and HUMILIATE 'me' as though I have done some 'thing' WRONG here.

All I essentially did was just POINT OUT and SHOW that I was NOT 'arguing' FOR NOR AGAINST ANY 'thing' here, and I was just POINTING OUT this Fact.

Although these two OBVIOUSLY could NOT YET SEE and RECOGNIZE 'this'.
Sure, but what was your favourite memory of a vacation (not including the one where you chopped your Mum up into small pieces and fed them to the fellow campers in a broth).