Mind is uncaused cause

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Re: Mind is uncaused cause

Post by bahman »

psycho wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:02 pm
bahman wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:47 pm
psycho wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:15 am How could I know that I am choosing arbitrarily? How could I tell that I have escaped all influence?
Do nothing.
Absurd
It is not.
psycho wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:15 am
psycho wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:15 am One is not aware of how the factors are influencing us.
That is not certainly correct. You know well when you act according to an influence.
How do I know?
Your appetite and apple are influences. You are very aware of them. You wouldn't eat when you are full or cannot eat if there is no apple. It is very obvious that influences exist. You are however free to go against them.
bahman

Post by bahman »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:35 pm
bahman wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:32 pm
attofishpi wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:42 pm No. But do I believe I have more freedom than anyone on this forum? I THINK yes.

..in any case, my freedom appears nothing to do with this statement of yours of a MIND being an UNCAUSED CAUSE.

..please extrapolate.
By freedom, I mean that you can freely decide between two options in a situation. Like eating or not eating an apple. It then follows that you are uncaused cause.
I didn't real eyes this was a discussion about free-will.

So.

Getting back to your OP statement:- Mind is uncaused cause

1. Mind is a result of causality. (not uncaused)
2. A 'cause' results in an 'affect' (stating mind is a cause is not correct, until it exerts an affect on the matter it has access to)
- so in this case - do I eat and apple or do I not eat an apple. Yes, I am free to choose, based upon analysis of certain things - will I enjoy the taste of an apple, do I have an appetite, am I too fat for the sugar content of the apple...etc..
Can't you freely stop a chain of causality, a chain of thought for example? If yes, then you are an uncaused cause.
psycho

Post by psycho »

bahman wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:06 pm
Do nothing.
Absurd
It is not.
That is not certainly correct. You know well when you act according to an influence.
How do I know?
Your appetite and apple are influences. You are very aware of them. You wouldn't eat when you are full or cannot eat if there is no apple. It is very obvious that influences exist. You are however free to go against them.

Reality is the factor in every action. You assume to know with certainty that part of reality is an influencing factor and that part does not affect a certain action.

How do you justify such certainty?
bahman

Post by bahman »

psycho wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:46 pm
Absurd
It is not.
How do I know?

Reality is the factor in every action. You assume to know with certainty that part of reality is an influencing factor and that part does not affect a certain action.

As I said. Because for example, I cannot eat an apple if there is no apple.
psycho

Post by psycho »

bahman wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:00 pm
It is not.

How does your answer relate to my question about how can one be sure that one knows what are the factors that influence when one performs an action?
bahman

Post by bahman »

psycho wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:36 pm

How does your answer relate to my question about how can one be sure that one knows what are the factors that influence when one performs an action?
Because there is no influence if there is no apple. The same for your appetite.
psycho

Post by psycho »

bahman wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:39 pm
In other words, are you sure that everything you do not notice cannot be a cause of influence?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

bahman wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:14 pm
By freedom, I mean that you can freely decide between two options in a situation. Like eating or not eating an apple. It then follows that you are uncaused cause.

So.

2. A 'cause' results in an 'affect' (stating mind is a cause is not correct, until it exerts an affect on the matter it has access to)
- so in this case - do I eat and apple or do I not eat an apple. Yes, I am free to choose, based upon analysis of certain things - will I enjoy the taste of an apple, do I have an appetite, am I too fat for the sugar content of the apple...etc..
Can't you freely stop a chain of causality, a chain of thought for example? If yes, then you are an uncaused cause.
non sequitur.

..and NO I don't believe that while someone is awake that they can stop a chain of thought - the thought continues on, to another chain at the minimum.
bahman

Post by bahman »

psycho wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:43 pm
bahman wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:39 pm
In other words, are you sure that everything you do not notice cannot be a cause of influence?
There is no such thing. I could not influence by something without noticing.
bahman

Post by bahman »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:42 am

So.

non sequitur.

..and NO I don't believe that while someone is awake that they can stop a chain of thought - the thought continues on, to another chain at the minimum.
I can stop a chain of causality.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

bahman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:38 am
non sequitur.

Very impressive - physicists would be interested in how you manage to stop electrons from spinning around the atoms in your brain. :D
bahman

Post by bahman »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:43 am

non sequitur.

Very impressive - physicists would be interested in how you manage to stop electrons from spinning around the atoms in your brain. :D
You can also. Isn't it up to you to write to me or not?
bahman

Post by bahman »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:43 am

non sequitur.

You can also. Isn't it up to you to write to me or not?

Post by Age »

psycho wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:25 pm
Age wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:08 pm
psycho wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:54 pm

If I cannot choose arbitrarily, then I am obliged to choose what circumstances oblige.

If I cannot escape the influences of my future decision, then I am obliged to choose according to those influences.

If one cannot always be aware of the factors that influence us, then I have no effective way of determining when I am

warned and when I am not.

How can I reject factors that I am not aware of?

Like in a game of billiards. Each balls cannot ignore the influence of the rest of the balls. The cue will hit one ball

that will hit another that will hit the next. A ball cannot move regardless of the factors that move it.

Likewise, a ball may not disregard the effect of the ball that hit it and in turn hit another ball according to an

arbitrary force and direction.

Regards.
So what?

What 'it' is, is what 'it' IS.

'you' are just going to end up where 'you' do, no matter if 'you' like it or not, true?
Your position on this issue is not clear to me.
This is because I have NOT YET clearly expressed my position to you.

Post by Age »

So.

The 'you' can NOT. But thee 'I' can.

This is because of who and what the 'you' and thee 'I' are, EXACTLY.