Meaning and Perception

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

surreptitious57

Re: Meaning and Perception

Post by surreptitious57 »

Dontaskme wrote:
For me I only know I exist when I demand knowledge and all my knowledge comes from memory
For me I exist in this temporary state within Existence itself which is permanent but eternally changing as well
I am an infinitesimal part of the eternally changing Existence because I am eternally changing within myself too

I try not to hold on to whatever particular state of mind I am in at any time because even if it is positive it will eventually pass
My own existence within this body will pass too so that is another reason why I try not to hold onto it anymore than is necessary

Already there are parts of my life I cannot remember because memory is fallible so even knowledge of my own existence is temporary
And this is one way in which I am slowly letting go which is good grounding for accepting death when I will have to permanently let go

Post by Age »

surreptitious57 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:00 am
Age wrote:
Does the word mind mean the exact same thing as the word human
To me they do not mean absolutely exactly the same thing but they can still be treated as interchangeable terms
More specifically when one is talking about human minds but obviously not when one is talking about other minds

What is important here is that one clearly defines terms that they are using where those terms may not be dictionary definitions
Great point. How do you clearly define the terms, which you use, like 'human mind' and 'mind'?
surreptitious57 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:00 amDictionaries are descriptive not prescriptive because language is organic and evolves naturally rather than something set in stone

Post by Age »

surreptitious57 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:13 am
Age wrote:
By the way as for the actual temporary or not position of ones own existence you will have to be wait and see
My existence within this body is temporary as I will eventually die just like all living things do
Although this may be definitely true to you, it is not definitely true that 'you' will not have an everlasting effect, as though you are still alive forever more.
surreptitious57 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:13 amEqually so I will also carry on existing in another form after this body of mine no longer exists
How do you know this, and, do you yet know what form that will that be in exactly?
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Age wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Equally so I will also carry on existing in another form after this body of mine no longer exists
How do you know this and do you yet know what form that will that be in exactly
Energy cannot be destroyed only transferred and it will be in atomic form

Post by Age »

surreptitious57 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:30 am
Age wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Equally so I will also carry on existing in another form after this body of mine no longer exists
How do you know this and do you yet know what form that will that be in exactly
Energy cannot be destroyed only transferred and it will be in atomic form
Thanks for the clarification. So you think that 'you' are that body, right?

When you previously wrote; My existence 'within' this body I was thinking that meant, to you, 'you' were in the body and not the body. Also when you wrote; after 'this body of mine' no longer exists I was thinking 'you' were again separate from the body and so again not the body.

I agree that EVERY physical body is just continually changing in form, and is in this continual state, of change. But, who and what 'I' am and 'you' are is not the physical body.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

surreptitious57 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:49 am
Dontaskme wrote:
For me I only know I exist when I demand knowledge and all my knowledge comes from memory
For me I exist in this temporary state within Existence itself which is permanent but eternally changing as well
I am an infinitesimal part of the eternally changing Existence because I am eternally changing within myself too

I try not to hold on to whatever particular state of mind I am in at any time because even if it is positive it will eventually pass
My own existence within this body will pass too so that is another reason why I try not to hold onto it anymore than is necessary

Already there are parts of my life I cannot remember because memory is fallible so even knowledge of my own existence is temporary
And this is one way in which I am slowly letting go which is good grounding for accepting death when I will have to permanently let go
The only place a 'me' can exist is in a memory when there is a demand for that knowledge...prior to which there is no knowledge of yourself at all.
Therefore, your entire existence is dead for there is no actual living 'thing' inside a memory...as all 'things' are dead thoughts retrieved from memory on demand by thought itself which is nothing but pure imagined dreamscape.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

surreptitious57 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:15 pm The Universe is all that exists and therefore constitutes all that can be known
But all that can be known is not what any individual mind or minds can know
Individual minds don't know anything at all, because an 'individual mind' is a known concept of no known knower.
You are the knowing that cannot be known.
Death and Live are the same state because knowing anything at all can only come from a knowing that has always existed eternally.

"I believe there are two sides to the phenomena known as death. This side where we live, and the other side, where we shall continue to live.
Eternity does not start with death.
We are in eternity now."
zoey

Post by zoey »

This is a discussion since time immemorial!