Before The Flood

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Re: Before The Flood

Post by Lacewing »

Wow... some awesome artwork/claywork here!!

AS: You mentioned wanting a different shape on which to paint. Perhaps you've already thought of this one... but the idea of a large keyhole popped into my head. It would provide a fairly significant area for the image... while giving the sense of looking into/onto something.

And if one wanted to make a connection between the image and the keyhole shape, there could be a being in the image who was holding or dragging a key behind them... or perhaps grasping at keys floating all around and/or just out of reach... as if to show they are locked in somewhere, while struggling to discover/reach the keys to their freedom/understanding. :P
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

To tie that into the theme of war, the person could be wearing a military uniform, grasping for the keys floating about, with a rifle slung over their back in the shape of a key. Signifying that while grasping at keys outside themselves, they have the true key with them all the time.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Lacewing wrote:Wow... some awesome artwork/claywork here!!

AS: You mentioned wanting a different shape on which to paint. Perhaps you've already thought of this one... but the idea of a large keyhole popped into my head. It would provide a fairly significant area for the image... while giving the sense of looking into/onto something.

And if one wanted to make a connection between the image and the keyhole shape, there could be a being in the image who was holding or dragging a key behind them... or perhaps grasping at keys floating all around and/or just out of reach... as if to show they are locked in somewhere, while struggling to discover/reach the keys to their freedom/understanding. :P
Thanks Lacewing! That sounds way cool! I wish I could find a shape like that! Garage sale Friday, Sat and Sun...maybe something cool like that will turn up!
artisticsolution

thedoc wrote:Just a quick note, after my wife and I did the dialogue for the children's sermon, she asked the kids what they thought about God talking to them about the prayer. And my granddaughter spoke up saying, "That was grandpa".
LMAO... You can't fool her!
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

artisticsolution wrote: Thanks Lacewing! That sounds way cool! I wish I could find a shape like that! Garage sale Friday, Sat and Sun...maybe something cool like that will turn up!
I'm glad it doesn't sound too hokey. I figured your "style" would be able to raise anything to a higher level! :D And I was thinking that you would just need a woodworker to cut the shapes out of some plywood. (That way you could have more control over the shapes you work with.) But perhaps that's too "mechanized" for your artistic process.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

artisticsolution wrote:Oh wow, it looks huge! Great proportions and detail...do you have your own kiln? Will you make a cast? Do you have a pic of the dog?
I've no kiln. But where I go to do my life sculpture lessons they have a large one, which I'm able to use for a small fee.
Otherwise I make silicone moulds and finish in jesmonite or polyester resin - usually with bronze or iron powder.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

artisticsolution wrote: Thanks Lacewing! That sounds way cool! I wish I could find a shape like that! Garage sale Friday, Sat and Sun...maybe something cool like that will turn up!
You don't need the piece to be in the shape of a keyhole, paint the outside edge and leave a space in the middle in the shape of a keyhole.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

thedoc wrote: You don't need the piece to be in the shape of a keyhole, paint the outside edge and leave a space in the middle in the shape of a keyhole.
Now THAT'S efficient and brilliant! :D And the area around the keyhole could be a completely different design that adds even more dimension/meaning to the keyhole image. Man, I WANT to paint it!!! Too bad I can't paint anything other than the side of a barn.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Lacewing wrote:
thedoc wrote: You don't need the piece to be in the shape of a keyhole, paint the outside edge and leave a space in the middle in the shape of a keyhole.
Now THAT'S efficient and brilliant! :D And the area around the keyhole could be a completely different design that adds even more dimension/meaning to the keyhole image. Man, I WANT to paint it!!! Too bad I can't paint anything other than the side of a barn.

Well the side of a barn would give you a lot of room to develop your image, although portability would be a problem.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Since we're sharing artwork....
This is in a series of sculptures I call the Theatre of Politics, which uses the V-mask/Occupy/ Guy Fawkes as a theme.
Attachments
test2.jpg
test2.jpg (159.82 KiB) Viewed 3247 times
Last edited by Hobbes' Choice on Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

I love it, Hobbes. I bet if you put it on your front lawn it would stop the Mormons from knocking on your door.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Obvious Leo wrote:I love it, Hobbes. I bet if you put it on your front lawn it would stop the Mormons from knocking on your door.
They'd probably just trip over it never having seen it. Two reasons; 1) It's smaller than you think (camera angles can work wonders on the perception); 2) People who live a delusion, tend to miss things that don't fit in their world view.
I recall Eric the Viking, where the Christian priest becomes mysteriously blind when confronted with anything that challenges his system of belief. (Sounds familiar?). Have you seen it?

On the Mormon question. Did The Book of Mormon ever get down your way? - if it does - see it. It's written by the South Park guys and is a hoot. It is a cruel parody of their religion. The most odd thing about the experience, was the fact that the Mormon church used the theatre programmes to advertise their religion, paying for several full page ads. Weird's no the word for them.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

I never watch movies, Hobbes, and most of the rest of the popular culture passes me by as well. If they haven't written about it I don't know about it.
artisticsolution

Being pulled in too many directions! I want so badly to reply but I have only had time to read...thanks lace, hobbes, doc and leo...and veg in another thread! Hobbes...love your work! Seriously great!

Here's my latest for the 'War & Peace" Show...because you can't have too many cross dressin' jackalopes, I always say! :wink:
Attachments
jackalope - Copy.jpg
jackalope - Copy.jpg (187.89 KiB) Viewed 3225 times
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

artisticsolution wrote:Being pulled in too many directions! I want so badly to reply but I have only had time to read...thanks lace, hobbes, doc and leo...and veg in another thread! Hobbes...love your work! Seriously great!

Here's my latest for the 'War & Peace" Show...because you can't have too many cross dressin' jackalopes, I always say! :wink:

Wait a minute! You have a piece sign on a picture that is supposed to depict war? You need to focus, the other artist is supposed to depict peace, and you were supposed to depict war in all it's ugly, bloody, extremes. Get with the program, or are you stuck on the wrong side? ambivalent about your task?