personhood

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

uwot

Re: personhood

Post by uwot »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:21 pm
uwot wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:35 pmHenry Quirk and Mr Can have made it abundantly clear that they are just like their gods.
nah
Well, you both have exactly the same evidence for a god, fuck all, to be frank, and yet you both believe in a god that has political persuasions strikingly similar to your own. Fancy that.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

bahman wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:55 am
henry quirk wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:55 pm what is a person?
Sum of mind and body.
neat, tidy, doesn't explain a goddamn thing: I like it

:thumbsup:
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Belinda wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:09 am When slaves were being auctioned by weight they were not considered to be persons.
okay

question is: because they were not considered persons, where they indeed not persons?

more directly: is personhood a status to be bestowed, or is personhood inherent?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

uwot wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:48 am
henry quirk wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:21 pm
uwot wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:35 pmHenry Quirk and Mr Can have made it abundantly clear that they are just like their gods.
nah
Well, you both have exactly the same evidence for a god, fuck all, to be frank, and yet you both believe in a god that has political persuasions strikingly similar to your own. Fancy that.
I never claimed to have evidence of god for the masses; I have reasons that make sense to me, none of which I've made a big to-do about...I'm a deist: I have no obligation to (and sure as shit I feel no impulse to) spread the good news...however, I'm also under no obligation to leave my beliefs out of discussions (sumthin' I've done more than once, in a number of threads)

as for Mannie: he has, I suppose, an obligation & appetite for proselytizin'...seems to me: nobody has to engage hm, pay him mind, or walk his road...and yet: folks, like yourself, do...why?

my god is indeed a standoffish fella...if I were like completely like him, I wouldn't bother postin'...and -- yeah -- my god is the ultimate natural rights libertarian...think on this: if I stand out in the rain: do I get wet cuz water is wet, or does the water become wet cuz I say it is?

Mannie's god has been interpreted & reinterpreted, often by folks with an ax to grind against christianity...now, folks can do as much interpretin' as they like, but Mannie's god, as I understand him, ain't a monster, and neither is Mannie
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:16 pm Mannie's god has been interpreted & reinterpreted, often by folks with an ax to grind against christianity...now, folks can do as much interpretin' as they like, but Mannie's god, as I understand him, ain't a monster, and neither is Mannie
Thank you kindly, as they allegedly say in the South.

As a matter of fact, in the case of the accusation of speaking from my worldview, I would make the Roddenberry plea. When asked, by Humanist magazine (1991) about why he put his own avowedly Humanist ideology into his scripts for the original Star Trek, he answered thusly:

"It is difficult for a writer not to do that [i.e. write his ideology into his scripts] because, well, what else is there to write about? Basically, the things you write about are your own beliefs. It is difficult for almost anything I write not to be Roddenberry: on Life."

I would say the same for myself. I'm a Christian: how is it even possible for everything I write not to be "a Christian on life"? :shock:

I would ask anyone who questions that, would I be more 'authentic' if I pretended to be a skeptic or an Atheist, and put on a pseudo-neutrality? That would seem to me to be less honest than declaring the truth about what I actually see, what I actually believe to be true, would it not?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:51 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:16 pm Mannie's god has been interpreted & reinterpreted, often by folks with an ax to grind against christianity...now, folks can do as much interpretin' as they like, but Mannie's god, as I understand him, ain't a monster, and neither is Mannie
Thank you kindly, as they allegedly say in the South.

As a matter of fact, in the case of the accusation of speaking from my worldview, I would make the Roddenberry plea. When asked, by Humanist magazine (1991) about why he put his own avowedly Humanist ideology into his scripts for the original Star Trek, he answered thusly:

"It is difficult for a writer not to do that [i.e. write his ideology into his scripts] because, well, what else is there to write about? Basically, the things you write about are your own beliefs. It is difficult for almost anything I write not to be Roddenberry: on Life."

I would say the same for myself. I'm a Christian: how is it even possible for everything I write not to be "a Christian on life"? :shock:

I would ask anyone who questions that, would I be more 'authentic' if I pretended to be a skeptic or an Atheist, and put on a pseudo-neutrality? That would seem to me to be less honest than declaring the truth about what I actually see, what I actually believe to be true, would it not?
:thumbsup:

I do believe I'm done leavin' off my religion from discussions here
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:43 pm
Belinda wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:09 am When slaves were being auctioned by weight they were not considered to be persons.
okay

question is: because they were not considered persons, where they indeed not persons?

more directly: is personhood a status to be bestowed, or is personhood inherent?
In our opinions slaves being auctioned by weight were persons, however to the traders they were commodities.

Henry Quirk wrote:
my god is indeed a standoffish fella...if I were like completely like him, I wouldn't bother postin'...and -- yeah -- my god is the ultimate natural rights libertarian...think on this: if I stand out in the rain: do I get wet cuz water is wet, or does the water become wet cuz I say it is?
Some people thought you got wet because the gods decreed you got wet. When you park your car beneath an oak in July does it get covered in sweet sticky stuff because aphids were excreting , or because the fairies were feasting on honey dew?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Belinda wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:11 pm
okay

In our opinions slaves being auctioned by weight were persons, however to the traders they were commodities.

Henry Quirk wrote:
Some people thought you got wet because the gods decreed you got wet. When you park your car beneath an oak in July does it get covered in sweet sticky stuff because aphids were excreting , or because the fairies were feasting on honey dew?
yeah, you make me tired, B
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:38 pm

okay

Henry Quirk wrote:
It's one of these days.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Belinda wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:40 pm

Henry Quirk wrote:

It's one of these days.
no, it's just you: you're tiresome

I ask: is personhood a status to be bestowed, or is personhood inherent?

you don't answer...you instead throw up this garbage: In our opinions slaves being auctioned by weight were persons, however to the traders they were commodities.

I ask: if I stand out in the rain: do I get wet cuz water is wet, or does the water become wet cuz I say it is? (tryin' to make the point god defines me, not the other way around)

you respond with: Some people thought you got wet because the gods decreed you got wet. When you park your car beneath an oak in July does it get covered in sweet sticky stuff because aphids were excreting , or because the fairies were feasting on honey dew?

tiresome
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:54 pm

It's one of these days.

you don't answer...you instead throw up this garbage: In our opinions slaves being auctioned by weight were persons, however to the traders they were commodities.

I ask: if I stand out in the rain: do I get wet cuz water is wet, or does the water become wet cuz I say it is? (tryin' to make the point god defines me, not the other way around)

you respond with: Some people thought you got wet because the gods decreed you got wet. When you park your car beneath an oak in July does it get covered in sweet sticky stuff because aphids were excreting , or because the fairies were feasting on honey dew?

tiresome
Do you know what ad hominem means?

In any case, it is good you find my questions tiresome. The next thing for you to do is go think some more.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Belinda wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:48 pm
It's one of these days.

tiresome

In any case, it is good you find my questions tiresome. The next thing for you to do is go think some more.
what I know is you're increasingly becomin' a waste of time

it's not your questions that bother...it's your non-answers

as for my thinkin': it's fine as is
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:03 pm

tiresome

There is room for improvement
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Belinda wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:07 pm

There is room for improvement
I'm thinkin' the same thing about you, sister
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:23 pm
Belinda wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:07 pm