For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: "Atheists Killed >140 millions" is Fallacious

Post by Walker »

Age wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:13 am
nemos wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:49 am
Age wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:23 am

Well then that 'he' would not be God, at all, and would, instead, just be what is commonly referred to here as 'the devil', instead.
Which again indicates that god is not a person but a position, because the characteristics of a person, unlike the duties of a position, are not strictly defined.
Besides "henry quirk" here in this forum is there anyone else who thinks or believes God is, or could be, a 'person'?

By the way, the characteristics of a 'person' can be strictly defined.
nemos wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:49 am And if someone does not fit the job description, we are free to remove them from their position and fire them, or, for example, demote them to the position of lord of hell. 8)
Was the artist true to his vision, or a sell-out to the church?

nemos

Post by nemos »

Walker wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:10 am Was the artist true to his vision, or a sell-out to the church?
Religion is politics - there is no place for free-thinking or anarchism. Some may try to encode their vision in a politically correct form.
Walker

Post by Walker »

nemos wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:14 am
Walker wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:10 am Was the artist true to his vision, or a sell-out to the church?
Religion is politics - there is no place for free-thinking or anarchism. Some may try to encode their vision in a politically correct form.
People come and go. Religion persists. Blame the worship gene.
nemos

Post by nemos »

Walker wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:19 am ...Religion persists. Blame the worship gene.
It is true that people are more suitable to be classified as "man of faith" and not "man of reason", because the overwhelming majority, if not all, place their faith or conviction above reasonable arguments.
However, do you know someone who currently worships Zeus and Aphrodite or Jupiter and Venus? But they also hoped to persists.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Walker wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:10 am
Was the artist true to his vision, or a sell-out to the church?

It always looked to me that in this, one of the most famous scenes in Western art, Michaelango depicted god as a carictature; almost as if it could belong in a comic book! Don't know if this was intentional or not. Mikey was a very complex character!
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:01 am
bahman wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:53 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:44 pm
If one person tells you the truth, and one tells you a lie, are you fooled? That's up to you. Believe the person who's the truth-teller. Doubt the liar.
How could I know who is telling the truth and who lies!?
you obviously cannot, prior.

But, however, because "immanuel can" believes it already knows who 'the lair' and who 'the truth teller' is, before a word is even spoken, said, or written "immanuel can" then just accepts, or rejects the words, which are then expressed, by who says or writes them.
bahman wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:53 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:44 pm That's the right choice. But don't blame anybody but yourself if you go the other way.

So no, it's not at all the logical conclusion.
All we know is that she ate the fruit so she believed in Serpent and not God. This means that she was fooled.
Pretty basic stuff, really.

The word 'serpent' just being a symbol/representation of the 'devil', within human beings, and which deceives human beings.

And, by the way, the word 'serpent' was also used because when one really 'turns around', and 'repents', from the 'serpent', then, and only then, can things begin to really change, for the better.
Wow. This is the first time that we agree on something. I however think that the Serpent is Satan which is a separate being rather than something within humans.
Walker

Post by Walker »

nemos wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:34 am
Walker wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:19 am ...Religion persists. Blame the worship gene.
It is true that people are more suitable to be classified as "man of faith" and not "man of reason", because the overwhelming majority, if not all, place their faith or conviction above reasonable arguments.
However, do you know someone who currently worships Zeus and Aphrodite or Jupiter and Venus? But they also hoped to persists.
Do you mean reasonable as in your second sentence?

Merriam-Webster online:
religion: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

Notice that the definition of religion does not require a particular personal set or institutionalized system of …
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dubious wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:36 am
It always looked to me that in this, one of the most famous scenes in Western art, Michaelango depicted god as a carictature; almost as if it could belong in a comic book! Don't know if this was intentional or not. Mikey was a very complex character!
It's rather awesome that he could put so much motion into a static figure (and the cherubs), motion only dreamed of by earthbound humans looking upward. Diagonals, diagonals!

As far as perfection of human form, I'm not so sure he was painting an unattainable ideal, back in the days when folks had to move about so much, often carrying heavy loads, back before the great hormonal disruption in humankind that is going unreported, that some say is caused by chemicals in the food and even chemtrails in the sky (climate change stuff), but not too loudly as it may upset some folks, although it's (hormonal disruption) probably caused by folks sitting around on the their asses most of the time.

It's surprising what long-days of physical labor do to a body. Brings out the intended form. They say in days of old farmers were the strongest. Ligament strength.
nemos

Post by nemos »

Walker wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:44 pm Do you mean reasonable as in your second sentence?
I do not know. Does it change anything?
I think that I am also stepping out of my conviction, I admit guilt.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"the best way to stay married a long time is to simply say, yes dear...and
do it.. whatever she says... just do it or face many nights on the couch...

PS, we have a very comfortable couch..."

Naw fuck that you're the goddamn bread winner in this family and u ain't sleepin on no couch, keter.
Peter Kropotkin

Post by Peter Kropotkin »

Walker wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:05 am
Peter Kropotkin wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:42 pm K: as a long time married man, Adam was simply trying to do as he was told...
the best way to stay married a long time is to simply say, yes dear...and

PS, we have a very comfortable couch...

Kropotkin
Interesting. So willing to sacrifice truth for comfort. You have pinpointed corruption's cause, which is ... caving like a zombie to totalitarians. I've seen guys like that walking with their wives in public, looking both resigned and perplexed. With the Totalitarian Democrats Who Hate America in charge, we're seeing more of it these days.
K: and failing to see the humor of what I wrote.. was your humor surgically
removed or were you not born with it?

Kropotkin
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

nemos wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:05 am So what exactly should be considered natural evil?
Neiman says that's just how we talk about disasters and misfortunes. She doesn't think they're actually "evil" in a moral sense. But she believes that any theodicy has to deal with both the personal evils and the natural disasters, and that if we don't deal with both, then we haven't comprehensively dealt with the issue of "evils."

That's what she thinks. You can disagree, if you like, of course. And it you do, it simplfies our task by half: and the easiest answer to why evil exists becomes simply that human being exist, and they have free will to do evil. We no longer have to say anything about earthquakes, tornadoes, etc.
nemos

Post by nemos »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:29 pm ... We no longer have to say anything about earthquakes, tornadoes, etc.
I didn't say anything about it either, but if it has already been said, I wanted to understand where its legs come from.
Evil is magma that was lucky or maybe not to erupt, or maybe evil meant the consequences of the eruption, which people have to face later? Although personally I would not call it an evil, but a difficulty, perhaps even fatal, which now and then has to be overcome. In any case, those who choose to live at the foot of a volcano should be prepared to face such dangers.
I still stand by the fact that only intentions can be evil, and action or inaction only to the extent that it is accompanied by intentions, otherwise it is not evil but an accident. Even the judicial system takes this into account.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Peter Kropotkin wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:24 pm
Walker wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:05 am
Peter Kropotkin wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:42 pm K: as a long time married man, Adam was simply trying to do as he was told...
the best way to stay married a long time is to simply say, yes dear...and

PS, we have a very comfortable couch...

Kropotkin
Interesting. So willing to sacrifice truth for comfort. You have pinpointed corruption's cause, which is ... caving like a zombie to totalitarians. I've seen guys like that walking with their wives in public, looking both resigned and perplexed. With the Totalitarian Democrats Who Hate America in charge, we're seeing more of it these days.
K: and failing to see the humor of what I wrote.. was your humor surgically
removed or were you not born with it?

Kropotkin
Due to high standards, that's too tired a cliche and unoriginal to be humourous, so I thought I'd turn it into something real.

Happy wife, happy life, but a pussy whipped man doesn't necessarily make her happy.

A case could be made that the original sin was Adam listening to Eve and trusting Eve, instead of God.

One could even say it was "wrong" of Adam to put his faith in Eve ... and since they were the only two, wrong to put his faith in humanity rather than God ... wrong in the sense that the cost was paradise.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

That's exactly why i keep my wife pregnant, barefoot and in the kitchen. And when i take her to church i put her in a long dress. So long u can't even see her ankles. And if one of my Christian brothers looks at her, it's her fault. I don't let her vote and i don't give her equal wages. When she isn't doing dishes i may let her croquet little pot holders with crosses on em while she watches Fox news, but that's it.

That evil bitch is gonna pay for what she did.