Pure Consciousness?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

jackles

Re: Pure Consciousness?

Post by jackles »

i think we have got to and understanding on consciousness.that is to say that it consciousness is not what everything else is .which is energy.consciousness is not energy or a construct of energy .consciousness is not intellegent energy..consciousness allows energy to be intellegent.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Er no I think the opposite, consciousness is a manifestation of material, by energetic means, and all this spiritual guff is just self indulgent word salad. And please don't use the words non or local in any reply to this or I will cry. ;) :P

Greyhorn is running with non sequiturs, a priori assumptions that he has no reason to believe, and hence all following supposed logic is merely a run on non seuqitur based on axioms that are impossible to justify; in fact when challenged on his assumptions he just does not bother to explain or tackle any argument, which is fine, but there's a reason you are a religion of one grey.
jackles

Post by jackles »

ok blagsy we have to think about consciousness in terms of super position so consciousness is omni present in super position of electrons.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

jackles wrote:ok blagsy we have to think about consciousness in terms of super position so consciousness is omni present in super position of electrons.
Gah no it is not. Jackles I loves ya mate, but you really need to learn the basics before you trample all over sciences back garden in your size 12 Doc Martens. ;)
Gee

Post by Gee »

Greylorn;

I was disappointed with your last post, and am not sure how to respond. It is clear that you have no respect for philosophy. I just spent about six months working in a science forum and was surprised to learn that the "scientists" at that forum think that science works with facts, but philosophy has no rules and is whatever one wishes it to be. Hence, the wannabe "scientists" at that forum went to the philosophy section and proceeded to use imagination, assumption, opinion, speculation, and even gossip to form the premises for their ideas. I was not very popular when pointing out the illogical thinking that formed their rather asinine ideas, but can see where anyone who actually believes this tripe might think that philosophy is "nonsense".

My study of consciousness is based on respect for all three disciplines -- science, philosophy, and religion -- as I believe that each discipline has some information to contribute to understanding consciousness. It is true that humans are physical, mental, and spiritual beings, and it seems an interesting coincidence that there are three truth seekers; science studies the physical, philosophy studies the mental, and religion studies the spiritual. All studies are relative.

So can you maintain an attitude of respect with regard to the different disciplines? Can you ignore Blaggard's baiting and also not bait Blaggard? Because I really do not want to try to discuss consciousness in an atmosphere that is more reminiscent of a junior high boys locker room, than a classroom.

G
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Gee wrote:Greylorn;

I was disappointed with your last post, and am not sure how to respond. It is clear that you have no respect for philosophy. I just spent about six months working in a science forum and was surprised to learn that the "scientists" at that forum think that science works with facts, but philosophy has no rules and is whatever one wishes it to be. Hence, the wannabe "scientists" at that forum went to the philosophy section and proceeded to use imagination, assumption, opinion, speculation, and even gossip to form the premises for their ideas. I was not very popular when pointing out the illogical thinking that formed their rather asinine ideas, but can see where anyone who actually believes this tripe might think that philosophy is "nonsense".

My study of consciousness is based on respect for all three disciplines -- science, philosophy, and religion -- as I believe that each discipline has some information to contribute to understanding consciousness. It is true that humans are physical, mental, and spiritual beings, and it seems an interesting coincidence that there are three truth seekers; science studies the physical, philosophy studies the mental, and religion studies the spiritual. All studies are relative.

So can you maintain an attitude of respect with regard to the different disciplines? Can you ignore Blaggard's baiting and also not bait Blaggard? Because I really do not want to try to discuss consciousness in an atmosphere that is more reminiscent of a junior high boys locker room, than a classroom.

G

Can you ignore reasonable argument that debunks someone's clearly ill educated rhetoric, possibly, but it serves no one to do so, even if you are firmly resting up greys alimentary canal.

Gee I am disappointed in you generally you seem to be indulging a crackpot for who alone knows what reason. And that's ok, it is a philosophy forum, but don't bring down some self righteous nonsense on me just because you are wedged into the Pastor's crack so far that even ky jelly and a crowbar couldn't get you out. MMmmmkay?
And apparently respect for others does not extend far enough to cover other people.

Gee it's a philosophy forum, if grey wants a happy clap festival he is more than welcome to go to any ID forum and preach to the converted. But it is not my friend up to you to decide what is discussed by whom and under what rules you want to make your circle jerk work under.

As I said before if you want a circle jerk amongst people, make your own forum, but don't come to one that already exists and exert your fascism on it because it is not to your liking. The rules are simple on this forum they are not however your rules.

Now I am well aware you have been on other forums, but that only makes me ask why you expect forums to suddenly cave in to your demands? We post, we get ignored by Grey because he is not at home to any logical criticism, it is fine by me, the guy's just proselytising as a million people have done before on a million forums: I personally don't see why you have an issue with discussion to the point you want to make discussion a tiny circle of people who all agree? But hell I'll defend your right to do so if you ever do make your own forum. And that is perhaps the fundamental point and reason forums are what they are, end of the day... :)
Greylorn Ell

Post by Greylorn Ell »

G
I killed better than eight hours of a ten-hour workday composing and editing that post. Won't do that again.

I live in a high mountain valley with few homes and even better, few neighbors. Several of them own homes which they visit only a few times a year, which the stupid residents regret and those who dislike the noise of all-night parties and the barking of obnoxious dogs appreciate. One of these occasional visitors is an old rich woman who normally lives in the posh suburb of Scottsdale, where she watches TV, eats, and has surgeries at taxpayer expense.

When she shows up here she comes with the notion that it is good to feed the bears. And she is fat and lazy, so throwing garbage out the back door is a lot easier than composting it, or even taking it back to Scottsdale. So after she leaves, others who live here get to deal with agressive scavenging bears looking for other free lunches.

Thanks a lot for feeding the troll.
Greylorn Ell

Post by Greylorn Ell »

jackles wrote:i think we have got to and understanding on consciousness.that is to say that it consciousness is not what everything else is .which is energy.consciousness is not energy or a construct of energy .consciousness is not intellegent energy..consciousness allows energy to be intellegent.
You've figured it out! Good work.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

And thanks also in kind for not making a damned bit of sense to anyone ever. Each to his due and each to his own.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Greylorn Ell wrote:

G
I killed better than eight hours of a ten-hour workday composing and editing that post. Won't do that again.

I live in a high mountain valley with few homes and even better, few neighbors. Several of them own homes which they visit only a few times a year, which the stupid residents regret and those who dislike the noise of all-night parties and the barking of obnoxious dogs appreciate. One of these occasional visitors is an old rich woman who normally lives in the posh suburb of Scottsdale, where she watches TV, eats, and has surgeries at taxpayer expense.

When she shows up here she comes with the notion that it is good to feed the bears. And she is fat and lazy, so throwing garbage out the back door is a lot easier than composting it, or even taking it back to Scottsdale. So after she leaves, others who live here get to deal with agressive scavenging bears looking for other free lunches.

You killed reason El, and you are an anathema to it.

It's just fraudulent nonsense in order to sell your messiah status, it's not real El, it's just complete and utter nonsense, so you can make money on some book that is complete and utter nonsense.

It's ok mate we know exactly the sort of charlitan you are, exactly the sort of fraud you are, and exactly the sort of self prophecied moron you are, who is like all the other self publicist prophets/Messiahs just trying to make a buck out of gullible idiots. ;)

Sell your snake oil somewhere else, is my advice, although you do seem to have some converts amongst the more gullible.

Which is fine but you are trying to make money out of idiots with no common sense, who just buy any old flim flam from any old person because they really need to believe that somehow, somewhere just once some nut has the right idea. :P
Last edited by Blaggard on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Greylorn Ell wrote:
jackles wrote:i think we have got to and understanding on consciousness.that is to say that it consciousness is not what everything else is .which is energy.consciousness is not energy or a construct of energy .consciousness is not intellegent energy..consciousness allows energy to be intellegent.
You've figured it out! Good work.
Yeah I have, basically you are trying to shamelessly self publicise a book that has no reason. WE have figured it out El, you are a liar, a fraud and basically are trying to sell something that no one should ever believe and if they had any common sense should not even go near with a ten foot barge pole. Yes of course you have solved every problem in philosophy and science. ten a penny mate, half assed charlitans like you.

"I've spent my whole life believing in my theory" and it has made me a better man, has it really El, has it, has it actually? I somehow doubt your life was changed by some mystical bs you invented to make money out of gullible suckers.
Gee

Post by Gee »

Greylorn Ell wrote: I killed better than eight hours of a ten-hour workday composing and editing that post. Won't do that again.
If you worked that hard on it, I will answer it.

So I guess I fell off of my pedestal. Good thing that I was not up too high, as I did not hurt myself too badly. 8) Maybe I misunderstood your intentions, but there is a little bitch that lives way down deep inside me, and she always comes out to play when someone calls philosophy "nonsense".
Greylorn Ell wrote:Thanks a lot for feeding the troll.
That troll can live off of his/her own hot air. You were baiting him/her.

G

PS I ordered the book, but it will be at least a week before I get it.
Greylorn Ell

Post by Greylorn Ell »

Gee wrote:
Greylorn Ell wrote: I killed better than eight hours of a ten-hour workday composing and editing that post. Won't do that again.
If you worked that hard on it, I will answer it.

So I guess I fell off of my pedestal. Good thing that I was not up too high, as I did not hurt myself too badly. 8) Maybe I misunderstood your intentions, but there is a little bitch that lives way down deep inside me, and she always comes out to play when someone calls philosophy "nonsense".
It was a high pedestal. You might consider an aftermarket hip job, or at least a gluteus maximus massage, which is much nicer and does not require anesthetic. Reiki works too.

From years of experience with women and wives I've learned that there is a little bitch (sometimes a monster bitch) inside every interesting human female. Some of the differences between females lies in how close to the surface the bitch lurks, or in how well she is camouflaged. My dance partner trotted out hers last night, so I danced with others and drove her home safely, if ornery. Either Mercury was in retrograde yesterday, or it was bring-out-the-bitch day.

And just in case you forgot, inside every male, interesting or not, lurks an arrogant dickhead.
Greylorn Ell wrote:Thanks a lot for feeding the troll.
Gee wrote:That troll can live off of his/her own hot air. You were baiting him/her.
If you agree that an upwind fart counts as troll bait, I'll accept 40% of the credit or blame, depending upon perspective.

Shall we see what happens if neither of us feeds the troll hereafter? (Hint: Don't even say, "yes.")
Gee wrote:PS I ordered the book, but it will be at least a week before I get it.
Cowabunga!

The shipment delay should only whet your appetite, but remember, please, no more than one chapter at a time (one week is a good time) with a back-read before moving on. As you read it, please bring out the bitch. She needs some playtime. I want to hear from her, upfront and unrestrained by social fetters, in this wonderfully open forum.

If formal philosophy was similarly uncluttered, I would love it.
jackles

Post by jackles »

cant see theres any real difference between a dick head and a bitch then.maybe when they get married they end up being a bitchead.ha
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Greylorn Ell wrote:
Shall we see what happens if neither of us feeds the troll hereafter? (Hint: Don't even say, "yes.")
Is troll code for someone who sincerely calls out some false prophet on the internet, who is shamelessly plugging some psuedo religious guff and calling it a miracle and refuses to indulge in any serious discussion with anyone who is not believing his endless specious nonsense like a dog humping its masters leg. Because if that's the case then everyone posting is a troll. You can call anything you like philosophy but at the end of the day all it really is is another in a never ending line of imaginative fantasy aka religion.

And your abuse of science and scientific method is another tragedy of inconsequential nonsense in a series of unending a priori arguments based on nothing at all.
If formal philosophy was similarly uncluttered, I would love it.
You really should form a cult if you want lots of slavishly devoted idiots to fawn over your inane babble.

It's a forum hence a hot bed of politics, philosophy and people freely debating current affairs, what you want is a church pulpit clearly though oh divine one. ;)

This is probably the only philosophy forum that I know which allows proselytising so you probably should count yourself lucky they indulge religious babble at all.

I personally would split all the post that are merely shameless book plugs to another thread, and leave the original discussion, if I was the moderation, which would unclutter the debate about consciousness from Els weird pseudo religion and steadfast attempts to proselytise. But meh unfortunately I am not a moderator.

Frankly the fact that you would of been banned ages ago on almost any other philosophy forum, should not be taken as an implicit condoning of proselytising, neither should those who are buying your pseudo-psychological twaddle imagine that somehow they have the right to chastise those who are actually willing to discuss something of the OP, rather than indulge in waffling rambling encounters which start with nothing logical and end with it. And incidentally is available in the shops at the remarkable price of whatever.

You are selling a book El, stop imagining shameless publicity is some high ordained task for those who have seen the light. It's a forum which means people have the right to post their opinions, without spam, and advertising cluttering up the place. You should bear that in mind when hurling around accusations of troll because that beam in your eye is much bigger than the mote in mine.