Understanding the religious mindset

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Re: Understanding the religious mindset

Post by Lacewing »

seeds wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:35 am _______

Good grief...

Enough already!!!

_______
:lol: Hey, we're right on the cusp of a great breakthrough... or breakdown... one or the other.

I want Henry to apologize for not accepting my earlier apology.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Lacewing wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:51 am

Good grief...

Enough already!!!

_______
:lol: Hey, we're right on the cusp of a great breakthrough... or breakdown... one or the other.

Okay, and I want to be 21 again (knowing what I know now), but let's face it, neither of us is going to get our wish. :D
_______
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I am challenging the status quo... and unfounded claims... and egos galore... on a stage.

Lace, you are the status quo. You're claims are always unfounded and anecdotal. Your ego is bloated. You love the stage.

I'm living in the moment.

Yes, you are.

This is not a good thing. My cat lives in the moment. You, a human being, ought to do more.

They may have been leading... but so what?

So, you admit the thread isn't about understandin' the religious mind. You solicited responses in keepin' with your prejudices.

I want to understand the senselessness that is passed around.

In other words: not why do folks believe? but justify your belief to me!

Why isn't it reasonable to ask why we are relying on AND FOLLOWING the past?

It's perfectly reasonable. You didn't do that.

it does seem more intelligent to be focused on the present than on the past.

Livin' today while bein' mindful of yesterday is sensible. Condemnin' yesterday is dumb.
Last edited by henry quirk on Fri May 21, 2021 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Lacewing wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:51 am

Good grief...

Enough already!!!

_______

Don't hold your breath.
seeds

Post by seeds »

_______

How's this for a little bit of perspective...

I had my heart broken today watching a YouTube video of a 10 year old Palestinian girl describing her situation amidst the Israeli bombing of the area where she lives in Gaza.

She has a small bag of belongings at the ready in case her house is destroyed.

She and her family try to hang-out in one room because she said that "...when the explosion happens, it's better to die all of us together..."

Again, it's just a little something to put our petty concerns and trivial little arguments in a proper perspective.

Here's the link to the 3 min. video: https://youtu.be/Ms4ygeKaXes
_______
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:34 amblah, blah, blah
Henry, I answered your questions honestly, and you just want to keep heaping more of your crap and projections onto me. So, fuck off.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

seeds wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:08 am How's this for a little bit of perspective...
Yes... it's ALL going on... all potential, it seems.

My heart goes out to that little girl and all the other people who are victims of mindless wars and beliefs.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Lacewing wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:17 am
henry quirk wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:34 amblah, blah, blah
Henry, **I answered your questions honestly, and ***you just want to keep heaping more of your crap and projections onto me. *So, fuck off.
*There it is, right on schedule

**I'm sure you think you did.

***No crap, no projections: just the facts.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Lacewing wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:21 am
seeds wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:08 am How's this for a little bit of perspective...

My heart goes out to that little girl and all the other people who are victims of mindless wars and beliefs.
Yes, mindless wars facilitated by mindless people in Western countries (such as the U.S.) who allow their tax dollars to be used to supply Israel with money and weaponry which, in turn, allows Israel to destroy the lives of little girls such as the one in the video.
_______
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

seeds wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:47 am
Lacewing wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:21 am

Yes, mindless wars facilitated by mindless people in Western countries (such as the U.S.) who allow their tax dollars to be used to supply Israel with money and weaponry which, in turn, allows Israel to destroy the lives of little girls such as the one in the video.
_______
What, no sympathy for lil jewish girls?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Lacewing wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:21 am My heart goes out to that little girl and all the other people who are victims of mindless wars and beliefs.
Just out if interest, how does one have a belief without a mind?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

seeds wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:47 am Yes, mindless wars facilitated by mindless people in Western countries (such as the U.S.) who allow their tax dollars to be used to supply Israel with money and weaponry which, in turn, allows Israel to destroy the lives of little girls such as the one in the video.
_______
It's madness. Somehow, there are people and countries who justify all of this destruction and terror; territory, religion, and politics are more important than living beings.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Lacewing wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:42 pm
seeds wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:47 am Yes, mindless wars facilitated by mindless people in Western countries (such as the U.S.) who allow their tax dollars to be used to supply Israel with money and weaponry which, in turn, allows Israel to destroy the lives of little girls such as the one in the video.
_______
It's madness. Somehow, there are people and countries who justify all of this destruction and terror; territory, religion, and politics are more important than living beings.
Yes, and the madness lies in the pitting of our randomly (and anciently) derived tribal "mindsets" against each other, and the failure to see and understand that we are all siblings who should be working together for the betterment of all humans on this tiny orb, and not just the members of our specific tribe.

The thing that is incredibly ironic to me about the Israel/Jewish situation, is how the Jews, after just recently experiencing the horrors of Nazi discrimination and the holocaust, cannot seem to recognize that they have now become the Nazis with respect to the way they are treating the Palestinians.

However, with that being said (and not meaning to sound like a broken record), even though I am amazed at the irony, I nevertheless understand that it all goes back to the fact that humans aren't quite as awake as they think they are.

Again, humans are sleepwalking through this dream-like dimension of reality, and are thus prone to being swept-up into all sorts of nightmarish situations.

Now, with all of that in mind (and alluding back to the little Palestinian girl), I wonder how many of us on this forum (especially the Americans) feel any guilt for our (look the other way) complicity in all of the cruel and nefarious things our tax supported leaders do around the world on our behalf?
_______
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I wonder how many of us on this forum (especially the Americans) feel any guilt for our (look the other way) complicity in all of the cruel and nefarious things our tax supported leaders do around the world on our behalf?

Not guilt: frustration.

The US ought not be involved in any fashion in any of that nonsense.

But, lookee here...

JERUSALEM—Biden has approved a $735 million weapons sale to Israel. Israel will be paying for the weapons using money from foreign aid given to them by America. According to experts, Israel needs these weapons so they can shoot down Hamas rockets that were given to them by Iran, who paid for them using money given to them by America.

We're not only involved: we're a chief supplier of arms and money to both (all?) sides.

So, yeah, LARGE frustration.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

seeds wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:01 pm /... madness lies in the pitting of our randomly (and anciently) derived tribal "mindsets" against each other, and the failure to see and understand that we are all siblings who should be working together for the betterment of all humans on this tiny orb, and not just the members of our specific tribe.

/... humans aren't quite as awake as they think they are.

/... humans are sleepwalking through this dream-like dimension of reality, and are thus prone to being swept-up into all sorts of nightmarish situations.
Agreed!

Many people insist that their skewed, limited thoughts/ideas/beliefs are facts and truth. It is a mindset that cannot be reasoned with easily because the investment in it is tied to their ego. They reject and do not care about anything to the contrary.
seeds wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:01 pm I wonder how many of us on this forum (especially the Americans) feel any guilt for our (look the other way) complicity in all of the cruel and nefarious things our tax supported leaders do around the world on our behalf?
I think many of us are disgusted by such things. It seems there is only so much any of us can do to change the direction of giant entities of rabid insanity... so we try to deal with all the crazy crap right in front of us each day, and do what we feel called to do. I think our energy makes ripples... and as humankind evolves, I'm guessing there will be a tipping point that causes civilization's structures of sand (no longer propped up by egos) to fall into dust. At some point, old beliefs will be allowed to fade. This is why I think old people should not be charting a future they have no clue of. They force their own limitations onto generations that follow... and stunt the evolution of humankind... for which THEY should feel guilt about. Age does not equate to wisdom. Just as gender or race do not signify superiority. Hopefully such foolish and destructive ideas will evolve soon.