The Case Against Reality - Dr. Hoffman

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: Reality is utterly independent of the human condition.

Post by Skepdick »

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:56 pm I wish it were so, then I would not always have to be explaining what I believe. Unfortunately there is almost not a single one of my views that you or most others agree with. Exactly from whom do you suppose my views came from, since no one agrees with me?
What do you mean? Your view on realism is about as generic as it gets. Most of the humans on Earth agree with you. That Philosophers disagree with you means nothing - contrarianism is in their job-description.

If you were trying to be "different" you sure failed...
RCSaunders wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:56 pm Good for you, Mr. James; or is it Dewey or Pierce? Pragmatism and instrumentalism are certainly original.
I have no idea. I haven't read any of them. If I agree with them it's by coincidence of perspectives, not influence.

I am not after originality - I am after useful perspectives. Perspectivism (and different Philosophies in general) are all instrumental to practical problem-solving and interacting with other humans in general.
RCSaunders wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:56 pm Nothing, I guess. You said you don't have any.
What would it mean if I hadn't said that?
RCSaunders

Re: The Case Against Reality - Dr. Hoffman

Post by RCSaunders »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:35 pm The eye is a DAC (digital to analog converter) which turns light waves into electrical impulses which are then transmitted via the optic nerve to the visual cortex.
You also said in an earlier post:
... the optical nerve has finite bandwidth. The image which is reconstructed in your brain is necessarily incomplete and skewed.
The eye is certainly not a, "digital to analog converter," and nerves are not analog transmission lines. Light waves are analog. If any conversion was required it would not be digital to analog, it would be analog to digital.

The transmission of what sensory nerve endings (rods and cones in the case of the eyes) detect is in the form of stimulations or "impulses" passed from neuron to neuron and finally to the brain. That transmission is not an analog "signal" which would require a carrier, which simply does not exist, so there is no analog bandwidth limitation.

It is not a digital signal because it would be physically impossibility. As you know from information theory, the sampling rate of an analog signal must be twice the frequency of the highest frequency to be transmitted digitally (which would require the rods and cones of the eye to sample the light frequency somewhere in the micro-wave range), an obvious physical impossiblity, and of course there is no such sampling process going on at all, so there is no digital bandwidth limitation. It is also obvious that a digital transmission would require at least 4096 bits for each piece of color information alone, which nerve paths would either have to transmit serially or in 4096 separate neural paths, which we know is not the case. [The 4096 figure is the number of possible colors in a computer screen using the RGB method. Actual vision is much richer than a computer representation of color and would require indefinitely more digital representation.]

The actual transmission neural stimulation along a nerve path is a chain of chemical events from neuron to neruon and passes from nerve ending to the brain in about seven milliseconds (and close to 1 millisecond for the optic nerves).

The so-called bandwidth of vision is determined by the number of possible nerve paths (from 770,000 to 1.7 million) times the number of transmissions per second (up to one million), for a bandwidth of over one trillion bits (terabits) per second. Actual experiments have measured 8.75 megabits per second.

You are right that what is detected by the rods and cones of the eyes must be transmitted to the brain and processed by the visual cortex for one to see. You are also right nobody "has a cooking clue what happens in there," by which actual vision takes place.

I agree with your main point, but think your technical explanation is not quite correct.
[/quote]
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Atla wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:04 pm Yeah about 80-85% of humans never once think in their entire life. I think this is the single most important fact about human nature.
Sad, isn't it?
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:03 pm What would it mean if I hadn't said that?
I have no idea. I only know you said it. I suppose you could change your mind. Why do you want to know that?
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:50 pm VA, do you know who H.L. Mencken was? He was not a philosopher but a journalist and an excellent observer of human nature. You have made me think of him, especially two things he wrote. One thing he wrote was:
The average man never really thinks from end to end of his life. The mental activity of such people is only a mouthing of cliches. What they mistake for thought is simply a repetition of what they have heard. My guess is that well over 80 percent of the human race goes through life without having a single original thought.
When I read what you have written all I see is what you have learned from others, and those others are among the worst possible sources for one's beliefs.

Among the things you have said:
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:07 am [*]Kant argued intensely, ...

[*]What I am discussing had been done philosophically for thousands of years.

[*]Within the Eastern Religion ...

[*]Eastern Religion like Buddhism ...

[*]To the Buddhists, common sense or empirical reality is real ... But when the well-being is threatened by the existential crisis, the Buddhist-proper has to shift perspective to view whatever is real and the empirical-self as an illusion.

[*]Point is you are not thinking deeper and wider, thus stuck in a silo-word of merely common empirical world as perceived by the human visual and conceptual system.
VA, I'm not criticizing you or your views. I personally think they are absurd and dangerous, because I've studied history, and know the consequences of believing the kind of mystic superstitious notions you embrace. I only hope you do not suffer too much because of yours.

Among all the philosophers in history, the worst and most dangerous was Kant with the possible exception of Hume.
Of course people entertained ideas similar to yours for thousands of years, and suffered the consequences of that superstitious ignorance in the form of perpetual incurable diseases, plagues, famines, wars, rampant infant mortality, life-spans of forty or less years, squalor, and ignorance. You really want to go back to that?

Do you really think Eastern religions, like Hinduism and Buddhism, are anything more than superstitious nonsense? You are right, when a Buddhist, Hindu, Shinto, or any other Eastern mystic religionist, is "threatened by the existential crisis, the Buddhist-proper has to shift perspective," from the real to some baseless mystical "transcendent" reality, and suffers starvation, sickness, or death, because his "deeper wider" knowledge is absolutely useless in the real world. It will be useless to you too, because it is palpably not true; which reminds me of the other thing Mencken wrote:
The most common of all follies is to believe passionately in the palpably not true. It is the chief occupation of mankind.
Take care, my friend!
I have came across the name 'Menken' but it did not stick with me since there are no significant philosophical views from him that are notable.
Philosophically [from a glance in wiki] Menken was merely an empty vessel in philosophical terms. What he was banking on is merely Science in the narrowest sense and perhaps Scientism.
In addition, below reflect badly on him as a human person;
Your referencing to H L Menken has no credibility at all.

Btw, my reference to Eastern Religions was to Buddhism and the likes, not Hinduism in totality, Shintoism, and others.

H L Menken's views are merely based on what he personally dislikes with a leverage on Science and he provide no real arguments. If so, where?

Note whatever I present is NOT religious mumbo jumbo but based on justified true beliefs and based on sound arguments.
You are merely making noises, show me which of my presentation is irrational?
If you insist Kant was the worst and most dangerous, show me your arguments.

Btw, Buddhism-proper is based on rationality.
Note the Dalai Lama stance, i.e.
“If scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims.”
Dalai Lama XIV, The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality
This show you are ignorant of what is Buddhism-proper but yet so arrogantly condemn Buddhism without evidence and justifications.
Btw, the Buddha NEVER advocated asceticism, escapism nor starvation. Where is your evidence to make such a claim?
Yes, there are Buddhists who became ascetics and starve themselves on their own initiatives, but that is not Buddhism-proper.
Of course people entertained ideas similar to yours for thousands of years, and suffered the consequences of that superstitious ignorance in the form of perpetual incurable diseases, plagues, famines, wars, rampant infant mortality, life-spans of forty or less years, squalor, and ignorance. You really want to go back to that?
Where is your evidence for the above claims?
Veritas Aequitas

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:08 am
Atla wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:04 pm Yeah about 80-85% of humans never once think in their entire life. I think this is the single most important fact about human nature.
Sad, isn't it?
You should be sad about yourself.

You don't seem to think beyond what your mind tell me, i.e. you do not think and reflect on why your mind is "deceiving" you in various cognition at the present moment. This is what Russell lamented on;
The man who has no tincture of philosophy goes through life imprisoned in the prejudices derived from common sense, from the habitual beliefs of his age or his nation, and from convictions which have grown up in his mind without the co-operation or consent of his deliberate reason.

To such a man the world tends to become definite, finite, obvious; common objects rouse no questions, and unfamiliar possibilities are contemptuously rejected.

As soon as we begin to philosophize, on the contrary, we find... that even the most everyday things lead to problems to which only very incomplete answers can be given.
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Probl ... Philosophy
You are that sort of "man" Russell is complaining about above.
To you,
-the world tends to become definite, finite, obvious;
-common objects rouse no questions, and
-unfamiliar possibilities are contemptuously rejected.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:13 am Note the Dalai Lama stance, i.e.
“If scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims.”
Dalai Lama XIV, The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality
If 100% of science tells us that an apple on the table is really there, we can't percieve it directly but it's REAL, then shouldn't you get your head out of your ass and accept the fact, like rational Buddhists would?
Skepdick

Re: The Case Against Reality - Dr. Hoffman

Post by Skepdick »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:06 am
Skepdick wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:35 pm The eye is a DAC (digital to analog converter) which turns light waves into electrical impulses which are then transmitted via the optic nerve to the visual cortex.
You also said in an earlier post:
... the optical nerve has finite bandwidth. The image which is reconstructed in your brain is necessarily incomplete and skewed.
The eye is certainly not a, "digital to analog converter," and nerves are not analog transmission lines. Light waves are analog. If any conversion was required it would not be digital to analog, it would be analog to digital.
I got the letters backwards... The eye is an ADC.

ADCs and DACs are complimentary.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:13 am
All of history and today's news:

List of famines,
Famine in India,
List of epidemics,
Longevity
Child and infant mortality
India's Shameful Squalor
India's urban squalor

The following are diseases that used to kill and still do in wonderful places like rural India dominated by Buddhist superstitions, but mostly eradicated in countries ignorant of Buddhist wisdom: Diphtheria, Invasive H. Flu, Malaria, Yellow Fever, Pertussis (whooping cough), Polio, Tetanus, Yellow Fever, Cholera, Typhoid fever, Typhus. Even Streptococcus and Staphylococcus infections are mostly controlled with antibiotics in the United States.

This is not so much for you, VA, as it is for others who might be interested in the facts, not in some transcendental nonsense without any real connection to one's actual experience.
Veritas Aequitas

RCSaunders wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:10 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:13 am
All of history and today's news:

List of famines,
Famine in India,
List of epidemics,
Longevity
Child and infant mortality
India's Shameful Squalor
India's urban squalor

The following are diseases that used to kill and still do in wonderful places like rural India dominated by Buddhist superstitions, but mostly eradicated in countries ignorant of Buddhist wisdom: Diphtheria, Invasive H. Flu, Malaria, Yellow Fever, Pertussis (whooping cough), Polio, Tetanus, Yellow Fever, Cholera, Typhoid fever, Typhus. Even Streptococcus and Staphylococcus infections are mostly controlled with antibiotics in the United States.

This is not so much for you, VA, as it is for others who might be interested in the facts, not in some transcendental nonsense without any real connection to one's actual experience.
You are resorting to straw-man[s].
Most of the listing you provided are reasonable long historical data/facts which are due to various reasons not due primarily to religious factors.

Show me the evidence the above poverty, epidemics, famines and human catastrophe are PRIMARILY or even secondarily related to their respective religion?

At present, India is still majority Hindus and India is progressing by leaps and bound within great reduction in poverty, famines, despite the natural droughts and other catastrophe.

This prove the religious factor is not a primary factor in inducing poverty, famines, other catastrophes.
The following are diseases that used to kill and still do in wonderful places like rural India dominated by Buddhist superstitions, but mostly eradicated in countries ignorant of Buddhist wisdom: Diphtheria, Invasive H. Flu, Malaria, Yellow Fever, Pertussis (whooping cough), Polio, Tetanus, Yellow Fever, Cholera, Typhoid fever, Typhus.
You are ignorant re the above.
Rural India is NOT dominated by Buddhism nor any Buddhist superstitions.
According to the 2011 census,
79.8% of the population of India practices Hinduism,
14.2% adheres to Islam,
2.3% adheres to Christianity,
1.7% adheres to Sikhism, and
0.7% adheres to Buddhism.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_India
Most of all your counters are based on strawman[s] and ignorance.

My point;
your grasping to the idea that
the apple interpreted by your brain/mind is represented by
a real-apple beside
an empirical-apple
is based on an illusion and driven by a natural psychological desperation to facilitate survival.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:08 am Rural India is NOT dominated by Buddhism nor any Buddhist superstitions.
14.2% adheres to Islam,
Well, please forgive me. I do not try very hard to keep all these superstitions straightened out. One superstition is as good as another.
Veritas Aequitas

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:08 am Rural India is NOT dominated by Buddhism nor any Buddhist superstitions.
14.2% adheres to Islam,
RCSaunders wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:55 am Well, please forgive me. I do not try very hard to keep all these superstitions straightened out. One superstition is as good as another.
You need to exercise intellectual integrity not to spew falsehoods.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:31 am You need to exercise intellectual integrity not to spew falsehoods.
I'll try, my friend!