How important is passion?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

duszek

Re: How important is passion?

Post by duszek »

What makes people passionless then ?

a. The desire to please other people ? But it is still a desire.

b. The fear of something outside of oneself ?

A computer is passionless. Some people do resemble machines a little bit. What is it that makes them so ?
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

I like it, but intellect should steer the passions, as I'm sure a successful conqueror is extremely passionate, but the object of his passion is intellectually and psychologically flawed, such that his passions are misguided as they preclude others passions.

Edit: Typo
Last edited by SpheresOfBalance on Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Whenever I skip supper my passion for breakfast intensifies.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:I like it, but intellect should steer the passions, as I'm sure a successful conqueror is extremely passionate, but the object of his passion is intellectually and psychologically flawed, such that his passions are misguided as they preclude others passions.

It's a shame that your passion for insult leads you by the nose and makes you appear a fool.
SpheresOfBalance

chaz wyman wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:I like it, but intellect should steer the passions, as I'm sure a successful conqueror is extremely passionate, but the object of his passion is intellectually and psychologically flawed, such that his passions are misguided as they preclude others passions.

It's a shame that your passion for insult leads you by the nose and makes you appear a fool.
Nothing leads me, save fairness. Look into the mirror my boy, only you my son, only you! For I treat people in kind! With me, you get what you give!

You 'started' the shit, and now shall probably get it from me until the day you die, assuming I out live you, and we both frequent this forum. You should think, before you open your pie hole and spatter your shit-wit!

I've noticed that you still welcome newcomers with name calling and childish condescension as if it could some how strengthen your argument, "what a fool believes!" But at the same time they don't deserve your childish crap. The more I see you treat them with disdain, the more I want to provide you with the mirror you so rightly require. Of course it would never have been this way, had you never started in on me. I would have just shook my head in disbelief, at the foolish young one, and went about my business.

I could give a fuck of how you perceive me. You brought this on yourself, my boy! As long as I see you treat people badly, Ill be right in front of you providing your reflection.

I know you don't deserve my help, but you're getting it anyway!
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:

Nothing leads me, save fairness. Look into the mirror my boy, only you my son, only you! For I treat people in kind! With me, you get what you give!

You 'started' the shit, and now shall probably get it from me until the day you die, assuming I out live you, and we both frequent this forum. You should think, before you open your pie hole and spatter your shit-wit!

I've noticed that you still welcome newcomers with name calling and childish condescension as if it could some how strengthen your argument, "what a fool believes!" But at the same time they don't deserve your childish crap. The more I see you treat them with disdain, the more I want to provide you with the mirror you so rightly require. Of course it would never have been this way, had you never started in on me. I would have just shook my head in disbelief, at the foolish young one, and went about my business.

I could give a fuck of how you perceive me. You brought this on yourself, my boy! As long as I see you treat people badly, Ill be right in front of you providing your reflection.

QED - my last comment.
SpheresOfBalance

chaz wyman wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:It's a shame that your passion for insult leads you by the nose and makes you appear a fool.

QED - my last comment.
Ditto!
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: I could give a fuck of how you perceive me.

When you are ready to play nicely, I'll respond to you.
But for now don't waste your time.
It was a lot nicer here when I was on your foes list.
SpheresOfBalance

chaz wyman wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote: I could give a fuck of how you perceive me.

When you are ready to play nicely, I'll respond to you.
But for now don't waste your time.
It was a lot nicer here when I was on your foes list.
Oh, you still are, I've just chosen to view and respond to some of your posts. And I agree, It is much nicer when I ignore you!
poet1b

Post by poet1b »

reasonemotion

I agree, I don't think you can discipline passion. Discipline, IMO, is an excellent virtue, but not a control mechanism for passion. More the opposite, it takes passion to become disciplined.

Yeah, passion is usually not reasonable.

Hmm, its always great to have a passionate ending, but there is no reason not to enjoy the journey there as well.
poet1b

Post by poet1b »

I don't think you can equate desire, wants, or needs to passion. They all have their distinctions, but passions tend to eclipse them all. I equate passion more with that inner fire that drives us when all else is lost.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Where does the inner fire come from ?
Is it possible to make it burn more brightly and devouringly ?
Is it possible to make it go out ?
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

duszek wrote:Where does the inner fire come from ?
Is it possible to make it burn more brightly and devouringly ?
Is it possible to make it go out ?
Passion can be inflamed by suffering and by achievement, and can be crushed by the same forces.
To cut it out completely is easy; a bullet to the brain usually works
Last edited by chaz wyman on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duszek

Post by duszek »

I meant: while the person stays alive.

Winston Smith in the novel "1984" became passionless after the treatment in the ministry of love.
Brain-washings do a similar job, but not necessarily. Some brain-washings lead to fanaticism.

I suppose that fear makes passion go out. Fear is the best candidate I can see so far.
Fear is the water which makes the fire of passion go out.
doolhoofd

Post by doolhoofd »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:I've noticed that you still welcome newcomers with name calling and childish condescension
Yeah chaz, what's that all about? :lol: