Moral Compass

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Alexis Jacobi

Re: Moral Compass

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:27 pm It's just boringly superficial and wrong, and I can't be bothered to correct that number of goofy claims.
No one can make you, of course, and you can skip over any assertions you wish to, but from where I sit I would say that you are duty-bound to explain why you think those things I assert are wrong. It seems to me that you must refute them. I mean, if you take the forum seriously and the time we are in seriously.

What I would say in response to you is that you cannot.

Can you explain what is *superficial*? And why are the claims *goofy*.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Lacewing wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:40 pm
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:39 pm Judaism is based in a view that all other metaphysical conceptions are not simply mistaken but demoniac. One must look at this attitude as a cultural ploy to establish one's notion of things as inherently *superior*.
I don't think this view and attitude are limited to Judaism. Religion, in just about any form ...
What I can say is that the Eastern religions -- specifically Vedanta and the Indian religions -- are much more flexible in their allowance of other religious modes. In contradistinction, Christianity as an offshoot of Judaism is totally intolerant of any modes it considers pagan. And all pagan religions are associated with diabolism. It is baked in to the original: Judaism. As I have said a few times, the result of my long exchanges with IC resulted not so much in a condemnation of the Christian form, but that of Judaism itself. It is absolutely intolerant.

Now, I can see that this is not wholly negative.
Lacewing wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:40 pm If such attitudes and manipulations are associated with theism, how reliable are their moral compasses as compared with non-theists who don't subscribe to such things? Where is the evidence that theism is more moral, considering that theism gives license to immorality as long as the claim is that it's for God and is directed by God. That's all it takes: Making an absurd CLAIM! All is justified!

Meanwhile, other people's gods are telling them different things. The delusional scope of this can be intolerable for atheists. :)
I have often confessed that I think that an atheistic position, given the insane complexities of religious belief, can certainly be a sound choice. That is, to brush all the craziness aside and focus on the living of life.

But the giant questions about existence and a great deal else are still therefore open questions. One can decide not to think about them but doing that does not dismiss them. They will always be thought about.

I must confess that I now believe that I understand that Christianity, if taken essentially, and if taken to the limit, presents a total rebuke of Judaism but also of all religiosity. The end result? Back to the starting point: that I exist, that we exist.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:54 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:27 pm It's just boringly superficial and wrong, and I can't be bothered to correct that number of goofy claims.
...from where I sit I would say that you are duty-bound to explain why you think those things I assert are wrong.
Ummmm....No. 8)

If I have any "duty," it's not to spend more time on something than it's worth.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

I believe that you believe that you are telling the truth.

Nevertheless I see you -- and have always seen you -- as devilishly dishonest. In fact you are the most dishonest person I have ever encountered in cyberspace. But I also know that you are not lying to yourself. You really believe you are thoroughly honest.

For this reason you present to me an entire moral problem that is -- obviously -- deeply wedded to the question of *moral compass*. Janoah also float around the same issue (but uncomprehendingly).

This is the first time he has ever been confronted to see into these things. You are stuck, obviously, but he might not be.

Recently, we see a national leader defining who is, and who is no, among the Sons of Light. And who are, and who are not, among the Sons of Darkness. And this man (technically) has a finger on the button that could *end the world*. This is serious business.

Push come to shove the insinuation is that, in desperation to survive, those means might be pursued. Could be pursued. These beliefs are the problem, not the solution to any problems.

Is the man who really and honestly sees himself and his people as *God's Chosen* -- when he says these things do you think he really believes them?

Like him, I draw the comparison to you. Through examining him I examine you (in the sense of the absolutisms that dominate your perception).

You really and truly believe what you say you believe.

This to me is the core of the puzzle and perhaps the key to human madness itself. Do you think your weak protestations against what I think or why I think it will stop because you protest?

Certainly not. You are the subject here and you do not define nor control what the conversation is really about. And when I say you I do mean a more general you-plural.

Any clearer now?
Peter Kropotkin

Post by Peter Kropotkin »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:23 pm
...from where I sit I would say that you are duty-bound to explain why you think those things I assert are wrong.
Ummmm....No. 8)

K: personally, I find it interesting that a thread titled, ''Moral compass'''
would, should attract the attention of any religious type and yet,
you won't engage.... you say, ''it not to spend more time on
something than it's worth''

so, having an understanding of what a ''moral compass''
is not worth your time...or even sharing your idea of
a ''moral compass'' isn't worth the effort?

If I were a guessing person, I would guess that you have already
decided on what a ''moral compass'' and where you get it....and
that is theological, not philosophical..

Kropotkin
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Peter Kropotkin wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:01 pm K: personally, I find it interesting that a thread titled, ''Moral compass''' would, should attract the attention of any religious type and yet, you won't engage.... you say, ''it not to spend more time on something than it's worth''

so, having an understanding of what a ''moral compass'' is not worth your time...or even sharing your idea of a ''moral compass'' isn't worth the effort?

If I were a guessing person, I would guess that you have already decided on what a ''moral compass'' and where you get it....and that is theological, not philosophical..
Though I often bloody my fists bashing mercilessly on poor IC I also, with a disarming florid heroism, rise to both defend and to explain him. So let me attempt that here now.

Though we must guess why IC has been completely absent on the issue unfolding in Palestine/Israel, still we can attempt some guesses as to why this is. I know I have wondered. Over in the Ethical Theory subforum IC has been engaged for weeks now. What is odd, to me, is that it is like mental and theoretical jerking-off within word games of ethical abstraction. But I have gathered that this arena is one of IC's preferred hobby-zones. He luvs that sort of engagement and theorizing where, effectively, no rubber meets the road.

But to see and to talk about how applied ethics bears directly on the unfolding events in Palestine/Israel -- he can do nothing else but avoid the issue totally. Why? Because when Christian Zionism and Jewish Zionism are confronted for what they result in the ethical opprobrium is too great. IC must wilt away and back into abstraction-land.

But I need to clarify the following: Once IC and I could engage, and we did engage. But when, in his eyes, I *went south* so-to-speak and I could no longer sustain the sort of belief that IC is deeply involved in, he could do nothing else but turn against me with some contempt. He dismisses therefore all the ideas I deal in for that reason. And this is because I level attacks against the structure of belief. I've said it before: these belief-systems are constructed with columns. If one column falls the entire structure is in danger of collapse. Therefore, IC cannot budge on any point that is part of a traditional and literal Christian worldview. End of story. Nothing more need be said. That explains IC.

But this has bearing on a larger and more general issue: how these beliefs function in our present. And that is why, I think, the topic has remained rather vital for all of us.

IC cannot engage, except through dismissal and ridicule, with any of the ideas I bring forward, and his comment "not to spend more time on something than it's worth" is best understood to explain his feelings toward those ideas. He might enage with someone else.

When for example I compare the figure of Yahweh to a demoniac character in a novel rather than to a god of transcendent goodness, I go waaaaay south in his view. A blasphemy. But the original Jewish god Yahweh is not a figure of transcendent goodness. He is a complex, multi-layered construct that reflects, largely his human creators. This idea is utterly intolerable to IC. Though I must say it is not intolerable to some Christian theologians. But IC is a dedicated Christian Zionist, and that is a special animal. Christian Zionism is a recent heresy (if I can use this word) and we are now witnessing how its manifestation unfolds. It does not bring anything remotely resembling salvation or goodness, it brings the threat of annihilation, discord, dismemberment and real human ugliness.

By their fruits ye shall know them, eh?

It is obvious that IC is philosophically trained and capable, in a discursive sense, but he cannot approach any ultimate questions and issues through philosophical means and methods. His is rabid belief. In this sense he corresponds to some of the Jewish Rabbis I have linked to. But this all makes some sense, no? If Christianity is the natural offshoot of Judaism those tendencies will carry over into Christianity. And IC is an exponent of a peculiar evolution of the Christian form -- evangelism. I have wondered the degree to which his version has some links to Calvinism. It is that intractable.

What is the function of beliefs of this sort? That is what interests me. They serve purposes, conscious or unconscious.

As to a definition of God my takeaway (form the months spent here) is less that God does not exist, and more that whatever God is is incomprehensible to us today. I recognize atheism as an alternative though I am not an atheist.

We cannot seem to explain God. Yet we are here and we appear as aware beings in existence. It is as if, atleast on some levels, we have to start all over again.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:30 pm

Though we must guess why IC has been completely absent on the issue unfolding in Palestine/Israel,
He might have mentioned Hamas once or twice.
Janoah

Post by Janoah »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:58 am
First one need to define 'what is morality'.
According to my definition, only
-Thou shalt not kill. ...
-Thou shalt not steal.
qualify as moral elements thus within common-sense-morality.

Adultery is a social vice not a moral element per se.
Morality - 'manner, character, proper behavior'
Do not commit adultery - this definition corresponds.
It is clear that Don Juan somewhat neglected this morality, but he must have heard about it.
Janoah

Post by Janoah »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:34 pm
Janoah wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:07 pm Gary Childress suggested common sense as a moral compass.

Are the Ten Commandments common sense?
Not really, unless you say, for example, that Sabbath-keeping is "common sense." And it's questionable that "not bearing false witness" is a thing which people "commonly" want to practice. Certainly the worship of the one true God is not "common" to a lot of people's "sense" of things.

I am ready to show that the first three commandments correspond to common sense, since the laws of physics correspond to common sense.
That is, it requires some scientific thinking.
Well, all schoolchildren learn physics, although most PhDs have no idea about philosophy.
And in our case, we should turn to philosophy.
Let us consider and come to a consensus only on the first commandment for now.
God, from a philosophical point of view, is the First Cause.
After all, it is clear that everything in the world happens for appropriate reasons, the reasons are interconnected. Aristotle called philosophy the science of the First Cause, the most general cause. So, for now there is no mysticism, everything is in accordance with common sense, scientific.
I propose to express it this way,
everything in the world happens regularly, the observed regularities are interconnected in One regularity.
God is One regularity to which everything that happens is subject.
Who agrees, raise Your hand.
And if there is no agreement, then perhaps, yes, there is no point in me investigating further.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Janoah wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:39 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:58 am
First one need to define 'what is morality'.
According to my definition, only
-Thou shalt not kill. ...
-Thou shalt not steal.
qualify as moral elements thus within common-sense-morality.

Adultery is a social vice not a moral element per se.
Morality - 'manner, character, proper behavior'
Do not commit adultery - this definition corresponds.
It is clear that Don Juan somewhat neglected this morality, but he must have heard about it.
Morality & Ethics = the management & modulation of 'evil' to enable [facilitate] its related good.
We have to define 'what is evil' and provide an exhaustive list on what is covered within 'evil'.
Virtue and vices [with its own exhaustive listings] are independent of Morality & Ethics but the virtues nevertheless is necessary to reinforce morality.
Adultery is a social vice.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Peter Kropotkin wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:01 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:23 pm
Ummmm....No. 8)

K: personally, I find it interesting that a thread titled, ''Moral compass'''
would, should attract the attention of any religious type and yet,
you won't engage....
I'll engage with anything worth engaging. That's just how it is.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Janoah wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:48 am I am ready to show that the first three commandments correspond to common sense...
Well, what do you mean by "common sense." You can't mean "the sense that everybody commonly has," I'm thinking, since most people do not do things like obey the first commandment. So what do you mean by it?
Let us consider and come to a consensus only on the first commandment for now.
God, from a philosophical point of view, is the First Cause.
I agree. But it's not a supposition with which a significant number of people will casually agree, since there are Atheists present, or Hindus, or Buddhists... So I think you'll find that others want your evidence for that.
...everything in the world happens regularly, the observed regularities are interconnected in One regularity.
I don't think this is obvious to anybody. Maybe you can explain it better.

First, lots of things change, so it's not evident in what sense you mean they're "regular." And I don't know why you suppose that should tell us that these various changing things are "interconnected" at all, far less that they are part of one "regularity."
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:08 am I'll engage with anything worth engaging. That's just how it is.
The right moral compass is trying hard to think about what customers want.

attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:04 am
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:30 pm

Though we must guess why IC has been completely absent on the issue unfolding in Palestine/Israel,
He might have mentioned Hamas once or twice.
I'm sure IC is the same as the rest of us, everyone loves Hamas and Touboulli on their Yiros.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:54 pm I'm not impressed by... opinions devoid of facts.
Oh, but you clearly are!

Your entire theist platform is devoid of facts, yet you are most impressed by it. :shock: